Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin High Performance | HP14 released! - page 55. (Read 397616 times)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Do take note that difficulty is skyrocketing !

Haven't found a block for the last 4 hours, 40 servers running...
Activity: 182
Merit: 10

Is anyone solomining still with a handful of processors, or is it Ypool or nothing?

Yes, 4 quite ordinary home machines. The only one not to get a block in the last two days is the laptop.

Ok I have a i3 ivy a turion x2 laptop and an A6-3400m laptop. I was able to mine 12 blocks total with them until about a week ago I had nothing for a week prior so I just gave up and went Ypool. I'll start solomining again with my i3 although I'm thinking you got a little lucky finding a block on 3/4 machines in the last 2 days. I probably am wrong and just unlucky.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Hmm from hp8 to hp9 on this 32 core machine, i went from about 13k down to 5k.. :?
That's about normal.  PPS is a broken metric to use for calculations.
Activity: 552
Hmm from hp8 to hp9 on this 32 core machine, i went from about 13k down to 5k.. :?
Activity: 560

Is anyone solomining still with a handful of processors, or is it Ypool or nothing?

Yes, 4 quite ordinary home machines. The only one not to get a block in the last two days is the laptop.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001
runs very well cause the difficulty is rising (not because mrlt's gpu miner is out)
Activity: 182
HP9 runs pretty well with default settings

Runs well on a 300 server farm, or on your home PC?

HP9 runs pretty well with default settings
Activity: 546
From OP's posts it looks like they've done a lot more testing of those variables than anyone else, especially me, so I've started to use the HP9 defaults because of this.
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
I'm still having a hard time figuring out the best way to optimize / balance sievesize, sievepercentage, and roundsievepercentage. Any pointers / recommendations from anyone?

Well, I think we are getting to the point where the optimal settings for mainnet will be different from testnet. That means that most of us won't be able to accurately measure the actual block rate and we will have to rely on whatever performance metrics we have. That's where the chains/day estimate comes in. Instead of counting shorter chains found during the search, it's trying to estimate the chances of finding a full-length chain that may lead to a block. Assuming that the model works, it should be the best performance metric available.

The default settings are my best guesses of what the optimal settings would be for most people. With the latest release I was mainly looking at chains/day and then checking 5-chains/h after that to make sure there's some sense in the new setting.

I understand that but it would be helpful, at least for me, to understand how to go about optimizing. So we start with default parameters but where do we go from there? I understand that we should try optimizing chains per day but in what manner? Should we be finding the sweet spot for cpd by adjusting sievesize first (to find the highest value), then doing the same for sievepercentage, then roundsievepercentage? If we tweak the first one in and then change another, will it move the potential optimal point for the first variable optimized?

What I'm ideally looking for is some sort of workflow for optimizing the three variables. Like:
Code:
1) Start with default settings, give it 1 hour to get a history of cpd, then increment seivesize up 200k (or 1M or whatever you choose). Obtain 30 min - 1hr of new data and compare the log file to see what the difference was. When you find the optimal setting for sievesize then move on to sievepercentage.
2) Increment sievepercentage by your chosen amount and compare log performance to find the optimal setting. (This is where, if a different sievepercentage effects the ideal sievesize it would be prudent to go back to step 1).
3) Adjust roundsievepercentage to obtain optimal results.

But maybe roundsievepercentage and / or sievepercentage are more dependent on cores, cpu speed, or something else. I just don't understand it enough to come up with a good process to try to optimize. Something like this would be very helpful. Once we figure out a good way to optimize, it seems like it would be relatively easy to create some type of optimization script that will run through this process, collect variables & performance from the log, and after a day or two of running through the script, spit out "based on the script, these are your optimal settings for this machine". Even if it takes a day to settle into these figures, over the long term it would be worth it.

Love the script idea, to take it even further, you could build the logic in to the miner so that it adjusts itself automatically, helping keep performance high with the changing network.
Activity: 246
My spoon is too big!
I'm still having a hard time figuring out the best way to optimize / balance sievesize, sievepercentage, and roundsievepercentage. Any pointers / recommendations from anyone?

Well, I think we are getting to the point where the optimal settings for mainnet will be different from testnet. That means that most of us won't be able to accurately measure the actual block rate and we will have to rely on whatever performance metrics we have. That's where the chains/day estimate comes in. Instead of counting shorter chains found during the search, it's trying to estimate the chances of finding a full-length chain that may lead to a block. Assuming that the model works, it should be the best performance metric available.

The default settings are my best guesses of what the optimal settings would be for most people. With the latest release I was mainly looking at chains/day and then checking 5-chains/h after that to make sure there's some sense in the new setting.

I understand that but it would be helpful, at least for me, to understand how to go about optimizing. So we start with default parameters but where do we go from there? I understand that we should try optimizing chains per day but in what manner? Should we be finding the sweet spot for cpd by adjusting sievesize first (to find the highest value), then doing the same for sievepercentage, then roundsievepercentage? If we tweak the first one in and then change another, will it move the potential optimal point for the first variable optimized?

What I'm ideally looking for is some sort of workflow for optimizing the three variables. Like:
Code:
1) Start with default settings, give it 1 hour to get a history of cpd, then increment seivesize up 200k (or 1M or whatever you choose). Obtain 30 min - 1hr of new data and compare the log file to see what the difference was. When you find the optimal setting for sievesize then move on to sievepercentage.
2) Increment sievepercentage by your chosen amount and compare log performance to find the optimal setting. (This is where, if a different sievepercentage effects the ideal sievesize it would be prudent to go back to step 1).
3) Adjust roundsievepercentage to obtain optimal results.

But maybe roundsievepercentage and / or sievepercentage are more dependent on cores, cpu speed, or something else. I just don't understand it enough to come up with a good process to try to optimize. Something like this would be very helpful. Once we figure out a good way to optimize, it seems like it would be relatively easy to create some type of optimization script that will run through this process, collect variables & performance from the log, and after a day or two of running through the script, spit out "based on the script, these are your optimal settings for this machine". Even if it takes a day to settle into these figures, over the long term it would be worth it.
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1077
^ Will code for Bitcoins
Can someone from the dev team provide some clarity here? Is it chains per minute, primes per second etc etc?

You have most competent explanation exactly four posts above yours, from the developer himself.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1007
No one seems to be clear on exactly what metric we're supposed to optimise for?

Can someone from the dev team provide some clarity here? Is it chains per minute, primes per second etc etc?
Activity: 322
Merit: 113
Sinbad Mixer: Mix Your BTC Quickly
PPS went down big time with hp9, was getting 6000-7000 pps previously. This is on 2xE5-2620, so 12 cores total.

-bash-4.1$ ./primecoind getmininginfo
{
    "blocks" : 95960,
    "chainspermin" : 13,
    "chainsperday" : 1.35648856,
    "currentblocksize" : 2197,
    "currentblocktx" : 4,
    "difficulty" : 9.24782068,
    "errors" : "",
    "generate" : true,
    "genproclimit" : -1,
    "roundsievepercentage" : 70,
    "primespersec" : 2865,
    "pooledtx" : 4,
    "sievepercentage" : 10,
    "sievesize" : 1000000,
    "testnet" : false
}

Normal?
Apparently. I'm at about 2000, was at about 6000 previously.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
PPS went down big time with hp9, was getting 6000-7000 pps previously. This is on 2xE5-2620, so 12 cores total.

-bash-4.1$ ./primecoind getmininginfo
{
    "blocks" : 95960,
    "chainspermin" : 13,
    "chainsperday" : 1.35648856,
    "currentblocksize" : 2197,
    "currentblocktx" : 4,
    "difficulty" : 9.24782068,
    "primespersec" : 2865,
    "pooledtx" : 4,
}

Normal?
Activity: 105
I'm getting those numbers

2013-08-03 22:46:44 primemeter  19911666 prime/h 353606585 test/h 1440 5-chains/h 2.923962 chain/d

getmininginfo shows

{
"blocks" : 95925,
"chainspermin" : 27,
"chainsperday" : 2.91638892,
"currentblocksize" : 1000,
"currentblocktx" : 0,
"difficulty" : 9.24577916,
"primespersec" : 5541,
"pooledtx" : 0,
}

something is off. I'm using a 32 core instance and 60GB of RAM. How does it look like when a block was found?
Activity: 301

Version 0.1.2-hp9 is finally out! (Download links are on the first page as usual.)

Here's the list of notable changes:
 * Sunny's mining optimizations from 0.1.2.

any need to uninstall the official 1.1 client and install the official 1.2 client prior to using hp9?

No, you don't need the official client to run hp*
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Version 0.1.2-hp9 is finally out! (Download links are on the first page as usual.)

Here's the list of notable changes:
 * Sunny's mining optimizations from 0.1.2.

any need to uninstall the official 1.1 client and install the official 1.2 client prior to using hp9?
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Big +1...I've been doing it based on others results since I don't know practical ways to test it myself.
Pages:
Jump to: