Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] Working on a GPU miner for Primecoin - page 28. (Read 102789 times)

legendary
Activity: 1063
Merit: 1048
A GPU miner unreleased to the public will likely destroy the price of XPM. No one likes a coin being instamined by a small group.

For once, I agree with you. Nobody wants a small group of miners getting all the coins and driving the diff up, then dumping them on exchanges, destroying the price. That's one of the best ways to kill a coin, right there.

How is GPU mining any different than botnets targeting XPM? ASICS didn't destroy BTC, GPUs won't destroy XPM. We'll find out soon enough.

Over and over we see the same process, and over and over we see the same 'Chicken Little's running around and screaming about the sky falling at each step in the process.  It's just one of the cycles of nature.  Embrace it, smile, and mine on Wink
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
A GPU miner unreleased to the public will likely destroy the price of XPM. No one likes a coin being instamined by a small group.

For once, I agree with you. Nobody wants a small group of miners getting all the coins and driving the diff up, then dumping them on exchanges, destroying the price. That's one of the best ways to kill a coin, right there.

How is GPU mining any different than botnets targeting XPM? ASICS didn't destroy BTC, GPUs won't destroy XPM. We'll find out soon enough.

Botnets are generally 'to be expected' and not very effective in CPU mining and ASIC can be 'guesstimated' and only work on coins with exceptionally high difficulty. A mining SOFTWARE at zero-cost that possibly mines at several HUNDRED times CPU only available to a small group would be a disaster for any currency.
Activity: 81
Merit: 1002
It was only the wind.

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

How fast is the miner going to be?

It is very difficult to say at this point. Some people have/had a bounty for a CUDA miner that is twice the speed of the CPU miner. I think that's definitely achievable.

about what speed are we talking?

please give us a more concrete example: what can a HD6990 do or a HD 5850 or a HD 7950 - in PPS please...
round-about-numbers...
CUDA implementations of Mersenne prime solving is more like 500 x CPU
Activity: 4
Any idea what kind of gpu will be able to get the 2x performance increase? I have two geforce 5 series cards that need to do more than lay around around all day in my closet. They haven't done anything since Battlefield Bad Company 2  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
I suggest the name Primer for this.

I'd like Optimus Prime  Wink

Optimus Prime is what i vote. 

Will you be offering beta access once its made?   I for one would feel more comfortable seeing it work in video and then doing a donation for advanced copy.
Activity: 287
Hello 14-chains.
Activity: 472
It'll be interesting to see what effect this will have on Primecoin value.
Activity: 406
I have a copy of the beta GPU miner. Send me 1 BTC to get it. Wink

I wonder if anyone would fall for any such thing. Stay safe guys.  Tongue
This seems pretty odd. Obviously some enterprising individual is going to sell 'shares' of his donation and the program will spread like wildfire within an hour anyway.
Activity: 39

Donate 1 BTC or more and get early beta access!

Donation address: 1FKfgFQeZCpjGDn7ocgj26nk4K2TNiVJyD

LOL

How dare he ask to be paid for his work, which will earn us money.
Activity: 172
So, escrow or what?

Also, how will you spread information to other donators? Email, PM through here?
legendary
Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029
Nice, will donate one bitcoin when I get home.
Activity: 639
Merit: 500
What is the expected performance of GPUs? I heard it is going to be 2*CPU.

Also good luck with your miner.

2x which cpu though?

so a 7950 will mine at how many times faster than say a 3570k?

surely more than 2 times faster?
+1 to this question. I have a 2600k and 7970 in 1st pc and Celeron and 2* 6930 in second.
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167
MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG
What is the expected performance of GPUs? I heard it is going to be 2*CPU.

Also good luck with your miner.

2x which cpu though?

so a 7950 will mine at how many times faster than say a 3570k?

surely more than 2 times faster?
Activity: 252
as long as the OCL implimentation doesn't eat up all the cpu of 1 core like cgminer does ill be happy enough on my 560ti
Activity: 49
Good luck with it, mtrlt! =)

Sent 1 BTC
Transaction ID is 6df2e36f5612fe8e9a963caf5384e502e59c219600626fa560cc838e3ff2712c

Please let me know when the beta is ready
Pages:
Jump to: