Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] Working on a GPU miner for Primecoin - page 21. (Read 102789 times)

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Can you tell us the date for Beta release?
It's not ready yet, I've just started on July 18th. If all goes well, there should be a closed beta on July 25th.

Yeah I know how to read thank you.  Smiley Key word "If all goes well" ... Seems to me there is no way to be done by then, that is why I asked.
Activity: 524
Merit: 500
However, there are some bugs left that make 80% of all blocks found invalid. Tongue
Are those blocks rejected by client or by network?
LZ
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072
P2P Cryptocurrency
Can you tell us the date for Beta release?
It's not ready yet, I've just started on July 18th. If all goes well, there should be a closed beta on July 25th.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
I sent you a PM but you didnt answer. Guess you are working hard... Can you tell us the date for Beta release? I want to donate but before that would like to know ETA... Thanks
LZ
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072
P2P Cryptocurrency
Will it be open source? I can donate in this case.
I fully intend to release it open-source and for free when it's ready.
I was not thoughtful enough. That's my transaction:
22fff1b780ee081f2e0952e37d63875452b364bdaed07eb00c2ffcba4ece7218
Activity: 820
Merit: 1000
Reaper can now mine and submit blocks. However, there are some bugs left that make 80% of all blocks found invalid. Tongue

I will now start writing GPU code, and fix the bugs later.
That's great news!
Activity: 104
Merit: 10
Reaper can now mine and submit blocks (EDIT: Clarification: using the CPU, not the GPU yet). However, there are some bugs left that make 80% of all blocks found invalid. Tongue

I will now start writing GPU code, and fix the bugs later.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
How did he get out of the newb section without 10 posts?
I don't think you need 10 .-.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
How did he get out of the newb section without 10 posts?
Activity: 868
Merit: 500
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

GPU is no good

"Good" is a value judgement that everyone defines differently.  Perhaps you could explain what you mean by "no good".

Most likely spam posting to get his post/activity count higher.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

GPU is no good

"Good" is a value judgement that everyone defines differently.  Perhaps you could explain what you mean by "no good".
Activity: 29
Merit: 0

GPU is no good
Activity: 122
Merit: 100
It can definitely be done. It's simply a matter of how skilled the programmer is.
If we could find an software engineer this would have been done already, but..

There's tons of professional software engieneers on the forums. It's just that they don't wanna do it cause they gotta do their job. Tongue 2+ grand ought to be enough of a budget to get some engineers to develop it though...
Tons? You got to be kidding. Their numbers are limited in the whole world not to mention here.

The issue is that to develop a good gpu miner for primecoin they would need to have a good grasp of c++ and its tooling, writing code for gpus, and the mathematics and computer science behind the mining algorithm. There are many developers just not that many that fit all those requirements.

I may look into it this week if the continues to be no progress on either of the two miners, mtrlt's and primediggers. No updates on either since Friday. Too busy with work, family and mining right now. Not that optimistic though because I am weak in c++ and know nothing about gpu coding and if it was easy there would already be one out there publicly.
Activity: 415
Depends on your definition of limited.. there sure are 100,000+ people in the world who could code this; but I agree with ReCat. It would take coders that are also into mathematics and OpenCL; those are scarce, but certainly not unique. Time is the main problem here, think about it.. adequate coders usually have a busy job to work on, and a GPU miner would, from scratch, for 1 person, take quite some weeks to code.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
It can definitely be done. It's simply a matter of how skilled the programmer is.

There's tons of professional software engieneers on the forums. It's just that they don't wanna do it cause they gotta do their job. Tongue 2+ grand ought to be enough of a budget to get some engineers to develop it though...
Tons? You got to be kidding. Their numbers are limited in the whole world not to mention here.
Activity: 406

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Any news on progress?  Projected release is it still on time?
Activity: 246
My spoon is too big!
I can't help but feel this is a really bad idea for the value of the coin in general. Donators get it, word gets out (or a rumor) that the miner is done, and those who didn't get the GPU miner feel slighted and clearly inadequate because they're at a disadvantage so they stop mining since their contributions plummet. This concentrates the mining even more to those with the GPU miner and it becomes more centralized, leading to further disillusionment with xpm. This could abate over time, but in the world of cryptocoins, a week is an eternity (especially with new coins). A day or two head start I could maybe swallow but I think a week would be too much and ultimately detrimental.

Its similar to asic and things around asic, but I trust mtrlt much more than asic creators. Also 1 btc donation he deserves only for his previous work - creating open source scrypt miner - bringing "asic proof" thing to gpu's.

Oh, I'm fully behind mtrlt for sure. I also agree that he should get some spoils for his work. It's just the pre-release for donations that worries me a little. I'd be more in favor of a public / open source bounty with escrow, but that's just me.
Activity: 434
I can't help but feel this is a really bad idea for the value of the coin in general. Donators get it, word gets out (or a rumor) that the miner is done, and those who didn't get the GPU miner feel slighted and clearly inadequate because they're at a disadvantage so they stop mining since their contributions plummet. This concentrates the mining even more to those with the GPU miner and it becomes more centralized, leading to further disillusionment with xpm. This could abate over time, but in the world of cryptocoins, a week is an eternity (especially with new coins). A day or two head start I could maybe swallow but I think a week would be too much and ultimately detrimental.

Its similar to asic and things around asic, but I trust mtrlt much more than asic creators. Also 1 btc donation he deserves only for his previous work - creating open source scrypt miner - bringing "asic proof" thing to gpu's.
Activity: 246
My spoon is too big!
Pages:
Jump to: