Author

Topic: ★ ZEIT ★ [COMMUNITY & KNIGHTS] [ULTRA LOW INFLATION] [MICRO-PAYMENTS] - page 162. (Read 1009280 times)

legendary
Activity: 1894
Merit: 1001
Since there is a Wealth of Linux Knowledge in here,

If I was going to learn a version of Linux,
These are the choices, I have been presented with
Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu, Fedora, Scientific Linux and OpenSUS

Which do you guys recommend and why?

Thanks in Advance.

Cool

it is not a question of if, it is mandatory to acquire an understanding of linux, if you think you want know anything about computers.   Wink
i'm  only a n00b level user myself, though i started playing with it back in 2k2.
currently i can't seem  to install 'nix on my pc due to hardware  issues. (well i did manage to install the latest edition of fedora, but there seem to be video driver issues with that os, so since it might not be a good choice for mining, i'm still looking for an OS i can install)

debian is the root of many spinoffs like ubuntu, has tons of free software built for it (.deb)

fedora is the testbed for red hat linux, i like it, it's fun and easy to use and understand. also root of many

i agree ubuntu is prolly easiest os to get into from windows, but i've heard rumors of embeded spyware, havn't  researched it enough to say more but beware...
it also has some interesting spinoffs, and tonnes of clones...
of which i have artistx on my lappy, running an older version i've not upgraded in order to keep the old gnome2 desktop environment. with gnome/compiz fusion you can create a multi-desktop environment unequaled anywhere  Cheesy artistx comes with almost every open spource program there is, related to media/graphics. out of the boxit runs just great

http://linuxtracker.org/

http://distrowatch.com/

http://livecdlist.com/

so also you need to think about which desktop environment to use

oldwise the choices were gnome or kde, with gnome being simplistic and kde being geeky. things have evolved and now there are many desktop systems to choose from.

my fav was/is the old gnome2combo mentioned above, and the current reasonable faximile is called MATE

also of importance is your install strategy, i recomend using 3 partitions, one for swap, about 1.2*the size of your RAM,  one for the root drive (/) (where the OS files are (usually about 20gB needed) and a separate one for the /home folder, where your personal data is stored (so maybe 100 gB or more - say maybe 20 gb min), that way, if you have to re-install, you can do so without reformatting the /home partition, preserving your data. lastly it is possible to encrypt the /home drive on many distros, so be thinking of a good passphrase

linux installers are quite windows friendly these days, and make a dual-boot scenario very easy to execute

another option (for learning and discovery) for you might be puppy linux, where you do not install anything on your p00tr, where you can download the core files & burn to DVD, then you boot up and the Os runs from the DVD. as you build up your OS, you can save your changes to the DVD! (this can effectively give you a nice portable and private computer)

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
Crypto-missionary to the Kingdom of Rhegged

Thanks in Advance.

Cool

I asked the same Q a couple of months ago, to my techy/coder budz on Slack.

I've recently been advised to try this:-

http://www.deepin.org/?language=en

Deepin is a Linux distribution committed to providing an elegant, user-friendly and stable operating system for users all over the world. It not only integrates and configures the best open source products, but also develops a series of applications for daily use based on HTML5, such as Deepin Desktop Environment, Deepin Control Center, Deepin Music, Deepin Movie and Deepin Store. Deepin focuses on user-friendly experience and beautiful design, so it’s easy to install and use for most users and can well replace Windows system for work and entertainment.

(But I haven't found the time to do anything with it yet)

I have had a wee play with one of the Debian 'flavours', as a USB boot system on my 3rd rig, already. When support for Win7 ends, I will be going the Linux route, rather than that damned abomination which is Win10. Figure I've got another 6 years to get my head around it Wink
Activity: 319
Merit: 250
I heard that Ubuntu is the most user friendly distro to start out with and learn. I used to play around with Ubuntu back in the day.
legendary
Activity: 1092

Thanks in Advance.

Cool
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1006
What is the typical RAM and CPU use everyone is seeing for ZEIT?

In my CPU 10-12%, sometimes up to 25% and 900MB RAM  Smiley

update:

i7 4,5Ghz Skylake, 16GB RAM, running 20 wallets, 50 pages in Chrome and some in Firefox ...

That buggy Skylake CPU is calculating the wrong interest rate .... Plz update your BiOS.  Grin

Cheers,
Ray

Thanks Ray, I'll do it  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1318
Merit: 1036

update:

i7 4,5Ghz Skylake, 16GB RAM, running 20 wallets, 50 pages in Chrome and some in Firefox ...

That buggy Skylake CPU is calculating the wrong interest rate .... Plz update your BiOS.  Grin

Cheers,
Ray
uki
legendary
Activity: 1358
cryptojunk bag holder
Cryptsy won't declare bankruptcy. If they managed to stay open for 18 months pretending like nothing happened, they can continue. We are not talking Gox 450k BTC, Bitstamp lost 18k BTC and nothing happened, but they had that money already, BTER was taken for 7k BTC, is back to work like nothing happened.

The "community" will ask them to remain open and repay over time, or most likely the 13k btc will make it's way back, 1000 btc ransom paid and loss will be 1000btc to spread over users.

Gentlemen place your bets. I did a week ago days before the shutdown; $100 in various coins (not Zeit mind you) paid for HYP to sell at double to buy DASH under 600k, if Crypty comes back and Dash keeps pumping, $700 win .. to spend on Zeit  Grin
I agree that Cryptsy case is more like Mintpal rather than Mt. Gox when it comes to the total volume of lost coins. That probably means that there are possibilities to see them back in the business, but personally I would rather not like to see that happening. It would be much better for the entire Bitcoin & co. community that the exchanges are run by people who know how to run their business and are better in terms of transparency than mentioned Cryptsy, Mintpal, Mt. Gox, ... (put further exchange names if you like). We are constantly warning other users not to keep the money on the exchanges unless this is absolutely necessary for the trade they are about to execute. This is actually how we perceive the exchanges, and if people like these running Cryptsy somehow stay in business, this is not gonna change any time soon. 
uki
legendary
Activity: 1358
cryptojunk bag holder
at least 825MB RAM and about 10% CPU, with 12 active connections. Running it on a VM with Win7.
legendary
Activity: 1130
No good deed goes unpunished
Cryptsy won't declare bankruptcy. If they managed to stay open for 18 months pretending like nothing happened, they can continue. We are not talking Gox 450k BTC, Bitstamp lost 18k BTC and nothing happened, but they had that money already, BTER was taken for 7k BTC, is back to work like nothing happened.

The "community" will ask them to remain open and repay over time, or most likely the 13k btc will make it's way back, 1000 btc ransom paid and loss will be 1000btc to spread over users.

Gentlemen place your bets. I did a week ago days before the shutdown; $100 in various coins (not Zeit mind you) paid for HYP to sell at double to buy DASH under 600k, if Crypty comes back and Dash keeps pumping, $700 win .. to spend on Zeit  Grin
legendary
FYI:
Anyone Selling ZEIT

SouthXchange sell walls have been annihilated up to 324.

Please refill as the ZAMPIRES are still Hungry!  Cheesy

Cool
This is really sad that Cryptsy will likely declare bankruptsy, this only hurts the altcoin community. I had about .22 BTC on there for a trade when this happened, but this was pure trading profits. Still upsetting though since I still lost 22m Zeitcoin.

I lost money some time ago in bter. com, i learned the hard lesson, have coins in a exchange is a quite high risk, exchanges are only for trading but probably the worst site for store the coins

I'm guessing you never get them back.

This, my friend, is why we have government regulation of financial institutions. And government regulation is why financial institutions get involved in politics (to make sure the regulations are made in a way that suits them).
Activity: 938
Crypto-missionary to the Kingdom of Rhegged

On Quad Processor with a staking wallet,
Cpu average varies between 4% &10%
Ram 987,828 k
With ~50 Active network connections running

Cool

I'm running around 13% (i7-3770) & 924k with 17 connections.
legendary

On Quad Processor with a staking wallet,
Cpu average varies between 4% &10%
Ram 987,828 k
With ~50 Active network connections running

Cool
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1006

update:

legendary
Activity: 1330
Blockchain Developer
legendary
Activity: 966
This is really sad that Cryptsy will likely declare bankruptsy, this only hurts the altcoin community. I had about .22 BTC on there for a trade when this happened, but this was pure trading profits. Still upsetting though since I still lost 22m Zeitcoin.

I lost money some time ago in bter. com, i learned the hard lesson, have coins in a exchange is a quite high risk, exchanges are only for trading but probably the worst site for store the coins
legendary
Activity: 1130
No good deed goes unpunished
Some 'bigger picture' stuff that may have an impact on us...

https://medium.com/@octskyward/the-resolution-of-the-bitcoin-experiment-dabb30201f7#.mvldlypk1

(Snip)

But despite knowing that Bitcoin could fail all along, the now inescapable conclusion that it has failed still saddens me greatly. The fundamentals are broken and whatever happens to the price in the short term, the long term trend should probably be downwards. I will no longer be taking part in Bitcoin development and have sold all my coins.

Why has Bitcoin failed? It has failed because the community has failed. What was meant to be a new, decentralised form of money that lacked “systemically important institutions” and “too big to fail” has become something even worse: a system completely controlled by just a handful of people. Worse still, the network is on the brink of technical collapse. The mechanisms that should have prevented this outcome have broken down, and as a result there’s no longer much reason to think Bitcoin can actually be better than the existing financial system.

Depressing, yes, but burying heads in sand won't solve anything Sad

Smiley Not Depressing at all, IMO .

If BTC fails or has a massive stumble with a massive price reduction,.
ZEIT will Soar to new Heights using BTC flaws to Power Our Flight, which is what will happen in the long run anyway.
On the Technical Side we have always been stronger and faster than BTC.
Old saying, every Crisis is an Opportunity, We'll make the BTC crisis a ZEIT Opportunity.
Cause I can promise you this if BTC price falls down to a $1 ,  there will not be 1 ZEIT for sale for less than that.   Wink

Cool

I haven't had this much fun in crypto since August last year and could not have timed it better. 10 days to pay day, everything cheap, BTC crashing to $315 most likely within a week .. happy days.

Here .. Blackmore´s Night - 3 Black Crows - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnaqBcxvH_A

3 black crows were sitting on a fence
 Watching the world pass them by
 Laughing at humanity and it's pretense
 Wondering where next to fly...
legendary
Some 'bigger picture' stuff that may have an impact on us...

https://medium.com/@octskyward/the-resolution-of-the-bitcoin-experiment-dabb30201f7#.mvldlypk1

(Snip)

But despite knowing that Bitcoin could fail all along, the now inescapable conclusion that it has failed still saddens me greatly. The fundamentals are broken and whatever happens to the price in the short term, the long term trend should probably be downwards. I will no longer be taking part in Bitcoin development and have sold all my coins.

Why has Bitcoin failed? It has failed because the community has failed. What was meant to be a new, decentralised form of money that lacked “systemically important institutions” and “too big to fail” has become something even worse: a system completely controlled by just a handful of people. Worse still, the network is on the brink of technical collapse. The mechanisms that should have prevented this outcome have broken down, and as a result there’s no longer much reason to think Bitcoin can actually be better than the existing financial system.

Depressing, yes, but burying heads in sand won't solve anything Sad

Smiley Not Depressing at all, IMO .

If BTC fails or has a massive stumble with a massive price reduction,.
ZEIT will Soar to new Heights using BTC flaws to Power Our Flight, which is what will happen in the long run anyway.
On the Technical Side we have always been stronger and faster than BTC.
Old saying, every Crisis is an Opportunity, We'll make the BTC crisis a ZEIT Opportunity.
Cause I can promise you this if BTC price falls down to a $1 ,  there will not be 1 ZEIT for sale for less than that.   Wink

Cool

Jump to: