Author

Topic: ★ ZEIT ★ [COMMUNITY & KNIGHTS] [ULTRA LOW INFLATION] [MICRO-PAYMENTS] - page 462. (Read 1009280 times)

Activity: 966
Merit: 513
Lots of people have been exposed to information about openssl vulnerabilities in the last couple days. Particularly since the detailed response from the bitcoin devs was released. The threat is miniscule to non-existant, but the solution is already available. The reluctance of zeitcoin devs to simply recompile the wallet with an updated openssl library is mind boggling. This is a young coin and people are gauging the effectiveness of each coin's dev team based on their response to this issue.

Fix it. Release updated wallet. Bask in praise.

Don't fix it and tell everyone to get bent and compile their own wallet and people will bail. Not exactly what this coin needs at this time.

Zeitcoin devs are not exactly inspiring confidence.

+1

This is super urgent - and the average Joe should not need to do that by himself. Please dev fix it and update the wallet asap.

To sum it up.
"Please make useless updates to make the average joe feel better."

sigh

another coin fails

GET PR HELP GUYS. Don't let arrogant tech nerds handle PR. It just alienates people.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Please, don't panic.

Mac and Windows wallets have OpenSSL included with their binaries. Linux distros use environment SSL.
Only linux users should update their SSL manually (if they want, it is not needed for the wallet, BUT for everything else)
Mac users can settle back, if they're using our official wallet.
Exchanges MUST have an eye on their SSL Version.

Windows Wallet will get an update in the next few hours.
But again - this SSL issue is a global problem. Keep cool - Better to check your online banking etc..

Greets,
Ray

Thank you for your response.
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
Have a ZEIT, have a kitkat.
Lots of people have been exposed to information about openssl vulnerabilities in the last couple days. Particularly since the detailed response from the bitcoin devs was released. The threat is miniscule to non-existant, but the solution is already available. The reluctance of zeitcoin devs to simply recompile the wallet with an updated openssl library is mind boggling. This is a young coin and people are gauging the effectiveness of each coin's dev team based on their response to this issue.

Don't fix it and tell everyone to get bent and compile their own wallet and people will bail. Not exactly what this coin needs at this time.

+1

This is super urgent - and the average Joe should not need to do that by himself. Please dev fix it and update the wallet asap.

To sum it up.

Are you serious? I am certainly not the average Joe (computer knowledge wise), but even I don't know how to compile a wallet. Out of 100 ordinary people you find lurking around here, how many do you think know how to compile a windows wallet? And I don't think besides being a mom to 3 small kids, I need to worry about learning on how to compile a windows wallet to make me and my investment feel safe again.

And useless? If it was so useless, why is the whole internet and especially the crypto scene all over it?

Because nobody uses the feature (as i explained above) in a zeit wallet. It has no use.

Hence: update = useless

As Lion said. Every other software on a machine is at risk if it uses SSL crypto. But not your wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1318
Merit: 1036
Please, don't panic.

Mac and Windows wallets have OpenSSL included with their binaries. Linux distros use environment SSL.
Only linux users should update their SSL manually (if they want, it is not needed for the wallet, BUT for everything else)
Mac users can settle back, if they're using our official wallet.
Exchanges MUST have an eye on their SSL Version.

Windows Wallet will get an update in the next few hours.
But again - this SSL issue is a global problem. Keep cool - Better to check your online banking etc..

Greets,
Ray

+1

To sum it up.

Are you serious? I am certainly not the average Joe (computer knowledge wise), but even I don't know how to compile a wallet. Out of 100 ordinary people you find lurking around here, how many do you think know how to compile a windows wallet? And I don't think besides being a mom to 3 small kids, I need to worry about learning on how to compile a windows wallet to make me and my investment feel safe again.

And useless? If it was so useless, why is the whole internet and especially the crypto scene all over it?

+1

To sum it up.

+1

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199
I am curious too is wallet safe while using openSSL?

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
Crypto-missionary to the Kingdom of Rhegged
OFFICIAL WORD ABOUT ZEITCOIN (WALLET) & THE HEARTBLEED BUG

If this is a computer issue and not a wallet issue then why do i see so many other coins releasing updates for this problem?

Also you said "update your system" update what exactly?  And where do i find that SSL file to see which version i have?

Yes, please clarify. I don't think it is true to just update the system and not the specific wallet. Check on every page of bitcointalk.org - A warning about the bug, plus an update for the bitcoin client. So if all would be alright to just update the computer, how comes all active coins update their wallets.

Check out this thread that lists exactly which coins already updated their wallets (and thus are seen as more active and reliable)...

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/coins-with-active-devs-per-heartbleed-bug-example-563790

Hmm...

A Thread started by a Doge-ist, with Doge on top despite not being the first to update?

As you said, "appearing" to have active & reliable Devs?

More FUD I suspect Wink

But hey, I am NOT a coder/programmer/developer, I can only go by what I'm told by those who know MUCH more than me on the subject.

For sure I'm MUCH more worried about the effects of the bug on my online banking.

I did some googling & found useful info on how to secure my Win7 O/S (including a link to an executable patch) here - http://www.mirc.co.uk/ssl.html

If I hear anything that is 'need to know', of course I'll post it here.

Until then...

The ZEIT wallet IS in a way vulnerable that i bet none of you is using because you have not heard of the feature AND use it in that specific way.

If you use the RPC port, have RPCSSL enabled AND use the RPC port naked on the outside of your machine or to the internet (i don't know why anybody would ever do that, but whatever) then yes, your wallet is fucked. Otherwise. Nothing changes.

But of course there is that feature. So sooner or later all the coins will update their wallets. I will not go on to explain linking against different libraries (which is the reason that should motivate you to update your system). If this is not enough for you. Get the wallet source and compile it against openssl-1.0.1g. Done.
Not every coin wallet is vulnerable to heartbleed. Zeitcoin wallet is indeed using OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013, but that doesn't automatically mean it's vulnerable as I understand it. That said, mint devs updated their wallet yesterday...
Activity: 535
Merit: 500

As far as we can be certain, there are NO issues with the default wallet -

(as is the case with most other alt-coins)

The problem is with the (system installed) SSL library, so if you update your system you should be safe from HeartBleed.

You SHOULD have version 1.0.1g of the SSL library after the update.

If you find the installed file is called libssl.so.1.0.0 you may need to check the package manager of your O.S./distro.

You could of course use a custom build of openssl-1.0.1g & link against that library, especially those using any versions of the Linux OS.

I repeat - these is NO specific issue with the default Zeit wallet that needs fixed or patched or anything else. Just practice good general computer security & there's nothing to worry about.

Thanks to the technical team at the community forum for this information Grin

If this is a computer issue and not a wallet issue then why do i see so many other coins releasing updates for this problem?

Also you said "update your system" update what exactly?  And where do i find that SSL file to see which version i have?

Yes, please clarify. I don't think it is true to just update the system and not the specific wallet. Check on every page of bitcointalk.org - A warning about the bug, plus an update for the bitcoin client. So if all would be alright to just update the computer, how comes all active coins update their wallets.

Check out this thread that lists exactly which coins already updated their wallets (and thus are seen as more active and reliable)...

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/coins-with-active-devs-per-heartbleed-bug-example-563790
Just feel like saying again what I've said so many times since launch...

This was, is & shall be a coin for the long term, not for the 'espresso traders'.

That seems rather harsh. There are so many coins now it's impossible to keep up without spending large chunks of your days in research...a commitment many cannot make. Though I agree with your perspective, Zeitcoin is just one drop in the ocean of alts to many.

Well, maybe our first task is to educate those people that they really SHOULD make an effort to understand what they are mining?

I 'got into' cryptos in order to get Btc to buy weed on the darknet, but have since chosen to become a much more sophisticated, efficient & knowledgeable coiner.

- I've gone so far as to forswear my 'erb in favour of making my future more secure, even though that REALLY hurts right now. (10 days totally 'straight')

If I can do it, anyone else can - I'm not special.

lol

I feel ya. Everyone has different priorities and commitments though. Heck SOME people are even afraid to get on a motorcycle. As a fellow rider, I'm sure you find the irrational fear of two wheels as baffling as I do. Cheesy
Peace.

This was, is & shall be a coin for the long term, not for the 'espresso traders'.

That seems rather harsh. There are so many coins now it's impossible to keep up without spending large chunks of your days in research...a commitment many cannot make. Though I agree with your perspective, Zeitcoin is just one drop in the ocean of alts to many.

Well, maybe our first task is to educate those people that they really SHOULD make an effort to understand what they are mining?

I 'got into' cryptos in order to get Btc to buy weed on the darknet, but have since chosen to become a much more sophisticated, efficient & knowledgeable coiner.

- I've gone so far as to forswear my 'erb in favour of making my future more secure, even though that REALLY hurts right now. (10 days totally 'straight')

If I can do it, anyone else can - I'm not special.

With 25% 'interest' in the first year & 20% in the second, who thinks it's right or even sane to do anything other than grab more of it while it's still being held so low?

I'm going to offer a one-million Zeit bounty, to be distributed on 1st September 2015, split equally amongst everyone who (honestly) posts

"I wish I'd understood the dynamics of this coin better & NOT sold all my stash so cheap coz I was too much of an impatient moron to hold on to them like I should have done".

During the week before the distro.

I'm serious.

Activity: 147

As far as we can be certain, there are NO issues with the default wallet -

(as is the case with most other alt-coins)

The problem is with the (system installed) SSL library, so if you update your system you should be safe from HeartBleed.

You SHOULD have version 1.0.1g of the SSL library after the update.

If you find the installed file is called libssl.so.1.0.0 you may need to check the package manager of your O.S./distro.

You could of course use a custom build of openssl-1.0.1g & link against that library, especially those using any versions of the Linux OS.

I repeat - these is NO specific issue with the default Zeit wallet that needs fixed or patched or anything else. Just practice good general computer security & there's nothing to worry about.

Thanks to the technical team at the community forum for this information Grin

With 25% 'interest' in the first year & 20% in the second, who thinks it's right or even sane to do anything other than grab more of it while it's still being held so low?

I'm going to offer a one-million Zeit bounty, to be distributed on 1st September 2015, split equally amongst everyone who (honestly) posts

"I wish I'd understood the dynamics of this coin better & NOT sold all my stash so cheap coz I was too much of an impatient moron to hold on to them like I should have done".

During the week before the distro.

I'm serious.
This coin's inflation rate recently fell by over 78k coins/block to 1/block. Oddly it's not until after that event that the coin dumps really got rolling. I know because I've accumulated more than 1% of the total money supply since that time merely by erecting low ball bid walls on cryptsy. It seems odd that there should be so much dumping on a coin with a healthy 25% stake rate and such a tiny block reward, but at any rate these dumpers will run out of coins to dump and the price will stabilize. The maths for indefinite dumping do not work with a 1 coin block reward and such a low price. I'm standing pat while these guys punch themselves out.

I aim a the same.
Just as with BTC, a low price is not bad if you feel like buying once in a while. Smiley
* gimmezeit is watching happily...
edit:  "/me" irc code works in here rofl
Jump to: