Pages:
Author

Topic: [0 GH/s 0% fee SMPPS] ArsBitcoin mining pool! - page 7. (Read 123721 times)

legendary
Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001
Yikes... not only did this pool have a big drop off, it has also had a huge unlucky streak!

We don't care.
This pool has been the most worthwhile for a long time.
It will all be paid out eventually if the pool doesn't close.
If it does close , most users that have been here for a while will lose
a very small amount compared to all the fees they would have payed elsewhere.
Activity: 914
Merit: 500
Yikes... not only did this pool have a big drop off, it has also had a huge unlucky streak!
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Maybe to Eligius I go...

Go with god, bro.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000
I guess i picked a bad time to try out Ars - seeing BT isn't around.

Maybe to Eligius I go...
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
There is a thread for discussing alternate pools: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/looking-for-opinions-of-a-replacement-for-ars-pps-if-it-dies-53983

Please keep the discussion in this thread to the topic of the Ars pool. I really don't think I'm asking too much here.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
The original SMPPS pool, Eligius, is still up and going. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Hi!

I moved my 10GHash/s mining rig from ArsBitcoin to EclipseMC.

It is awesome!

You can cashout your Bitcoins directly to your PayPal account! In dollars!

You can receive SMS messages when any rig goes down...

It is the best pool out there!

Cheers!
Thiago
Direct to PayPal ... that sounds very interesting ...
Time to visit and find out the details Smiley

Edit:
... and ABCPool.co yeah they made it into one of the other discussions but the discussion wasn't very helpful ... OK that's 2 to check.
Thanks go to both of you Smiley
Activity: 121
Merit: 100
So ... what's the next best PPS pool?
(yeah ars is messing up again right now)

Frankly, ARS has been "dead" since BT stopped working on it. Relying on a pool that has no operator is... ballsy? I wish BT the best in life and hope he's okay and all that, but the minute he said "Yeah... not doing this so much", it was pretty much a sure fire sign to leave Wink

As to what's the best PPS? I like ABCPool.co. I mean, it's just... mine mine mine get BTC yay yay yay.

I'm all for consistency, though. ABCPool is nothing if not consistent. I have no idea when we found a block last, nor do I care; I just get credit. Yay me.

YourBTC.net was top notch too, and they offer Namecoin as well, but I prefer the consistency of ABCPool.co, even if YourBTC might be "better" long term due to how they payout. They really need a larger hashrate to make it consistent enough for me to enjoy (not a knock against them, mind you, but if they were solving more blocks quicker, the consistency would be up).
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000
฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!
Hi!

I moved my 10GHash/s mining rig from ArsBitcoin to EclipseMC.

It is awesome!

You can cashout your Bitcoins directly to your PayPal account! In dollars!

You can receive SMS messages when any rig goes down...

It is the best pool out there!

Cheers!
Thiago
legendary
... and now it's OK again.
But seriously, since even BurningToad is saying that he doesn't care about it any more - what's everyone's opinion of what is the next best PPS pool?
(and why?)
There are plenty of them but some seem to like to charge a lot (and always have even back when bitcoins were worth a lot more)
So complaining about the price of bitcoin falling by any pool OP who was charging a high % before is an example of a pool that should be avoided in my opinion.
I'll move this question to a new thread since I guess this thread isn't really the best place to discuss where to go if ARS dies Tongue

Or instead you can start looking through the numerous threads already on the first page.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/looking-for-opinions-of-a-replacement-for-ars-pps-if-it-dies-53983 Tongue
Activity: 406
But seriously, since even BurningToad is saying that he doesn't care about it any more - what's everyone's opinion of what is the next best PPS pool?
(and why?)
There are plenty of them but some seem to like to charge a lot (and always have even back when bitcoins were worth a lot more)
So complaining about the price of bitcoin falling by any pool OP who was charging a high % before is an example of a pool that should be avoided in my opinion.
I'll move this question to a new thread since I guess this thread isn't really the best place to discuss where to go if ARS dies Tongue

Or instead you can start looking through the numerous threads already on the first page.
legendary
(and why?)
legendary
Activity: 349
Yeah. He's been losing money on the thing for awhile now.

The problem was always the "big hitters" never donating damn near anything to the cause. I was donating some paltry little ~3-4% @ 15GH/s and was almost always 2nd or 3rd in the total donations. It just meant the big boys set it to 0%.

That's the problem with a lot of the pools; yee-freaking-haw if someone cranking out 5GH/s donates 5%, if the big guys never donate, it's all for naught.
Another option will be a floating fee based on the expenses of the pool.  This means that when bitcoin is falling fees will rise, forcing inefficient mining operations to stop.  Likewise, if bitcoin is rising, fees fall because less bitcoin is required to pay expenses.

Of course, if you are a die-hard bitcoin bull, nothing will keep you from mining, even at a loss since you believe the price will rise to an acceptable level in the time-frame you anticipate.

In any case, I don't think that the voluntary donation is a viable long term solution for funding of a pool.

If the big hitters don't want to pay fees, or at least minimal fees, then p2pool is a reasonable option.  Also, it make a reasonable DDOS proof backup pool.
Activity: 121
Merit: 100
At the time of this posting, seems to be back up with over 270 Gh/s....

Yup, looks as if both servers are up and running.  A lot of people migrated though I think also :/

Do you really want people who are so easily ready to jump ship..... Smiley
Yes, It looks like the loyal following has 0.54% weighted donation. Well, I see why BT is so motivated to work on the pool.

Frankly, if he is continually operating at a loss, he needs to establish a fee.

Yeah. He's been losing money on the thing for awhile now.

The problem was always the "big hitters" never donating damn near anything to the cause. I was donating some paltry little ~3-4% @ 15GH/s and was almost always 2nd or 3rd in the total donations. It just meant the big boys set it to 0%.

That's the problem with a lot of the pools; yee-freaking-haw if someone cranking out 5GH/s donates 5%, if the big guys never donate, it's all for naught.
Activity: 476
Merit: 500
Hope it doesn't fall, Ars has got to be the luckiest pool around! I will mine there again if/when stability comes back
Activity: 349
At the time of this posting, seems to be back up with over 270 Gh/s....

Yup, looks as if both servers are up and running.  A lot of people migrated though I think also :/

Do you really want people who are so easily ready to jump ship..... Smiley
Yes, It looks like the loyal following has 0.54% weighted donation. Well, I see why BT is so motivated to work on the pool.

Frankly, if he is continually operating at a loss, he needs to establish a fee.
vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
Hello,

Sorry guys, the reality right now is:

1) I haven't done anything to improve the pool in at least a month.
2) All I've done is try and keep it up.  I usually get a text message when it messes up, but not always.  Each server (main and 2) seems to randomly fail occasionally (both PoolServerJ and pushpool.)  I haven't had time to try and figure out the root cause.  Basically PSJ/pushpool degrade after a while and need a restart.
3) I haven't done the numbers, but I'm probably losing money each day at the moment on this because EC2 is expensive and the BTC price is low.  The bill this last month was ~$400+ with the two servers + bandwidth costs.
4) I'm closer to bringing the pool down than I am to implementing merged mining or anything else.
5) I'm having some personal problems and issues just trying to do work for my real job, so the priority for this right now is very low.  In fact the pool is probably mostly still up (instead of being taken down) because it is more effort to take it down cleanly (provide notice, email everyone, resolve coin balances, etc.) than it is to keep it in its current state.

So, I apologize, but that is how things stand at the moment.  I can't guarantee anything for the future, i.e. whether I will take the pool down, or finally work on improving it, etc.

for those of you that missed the original post - quite a few ppl have offered help - no respons even to that Sad

a shame, hope things work out for BT Smiley
Activity: 152
Merit: 102
But it is good to be back up and earning again.  Grin
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
Wasn't paying attention to the mining on Ars this weekend, though I did notice that I earned crap last night. On the positive side, I'm now a top 20 miner at the moment... Smiley

I fear change! If I keep earning crap, then I'll probably move elsewhere (like back to Slush or something).
Pages:
Jump to: