Pages:
Author

Topic: [150TH] [PPLNS 0.5%] Jonny's Mining Emporium (bravo-mining.com) - page 16. (Read 267154 times)

Activity: 76
Merit: 10
So I'm trying to buy some hash from nicehash and it keeps disabling miners from signing on. 

It hints that this might be due to low difficulty of the pool.

Is this something I can set, or is it something the pool itself sets?

Sorry.  I feel like a newbie asking this question..  :/
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Good luck.  I hope you manage to get a good, stable unit.

If anyone is wondering, I've sold 18 of my 20 A6 units and am waiting to hear back from both Canaan and my hosting provider on acquiring some 721s.  That's why my hash rate is way down.  I'm not pointing it somewhere else Smiley.  Hopefully I'll be back up and running (albeit likely with less hash than I had before) shortly.

In the meantime, let's do a Thanksgiving promo.  Whoever finds a block between now and the end of the day Thursday (23:59:59 EST on 11/24) will receive a 1BTC bonus from me.

Good luck everyone!
Well, as much as I want to move to a new Avalon product, I think their release is insufficient.

It's been so long since the S9 has come out.  It just doesn't make sense to come out with a 30% less efficient box at this stage of the game.

I think I'm going to take my chances with an S9 or R8.

I consider myself fairly warned.  Thanks guys.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
I have an S1, a S3, and an S5.  I really liked the S1 because it looked so raw and technical, but the S3 was my most solid miner of the bunch.  The S5 I had to add 3D-printed top, bottom, and intake fan spacer plus hard acrylic side covers to get decent airflow through the thing.  Then I got an A6 and promised never to use Bitmain junk again.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
This isn't to say that all S9s are faulty.  It is simply my opinion on the quality of the hardware when comparing the Avalon to the Antminer.
Well - look at the physical construction in order:
S1 - bare boards no protective box (and the whole OS was copied from Avalon)
S2 - wow that was a massive failure - sometimes fell apart or were broken during shipping
S3 - finally a physically solid miner
So it took them 3 goes to produce a physically solid and reliable miner

S5 - ... a thin piece of plastic on each side ... effectively no box ... wtf? why did they change that?
I stopped here, I've no idea what the later models are like.

Yeah I never did like the s5

The s-1 looked cool but was a pet+kid trap.

I would say the s-3  was their nicest looking and well made.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
This isn't to say that all S9s are faulty.  It is simply my opinion on the quality of the hardware when comparing the Avalon to the Antminer.
Well - look at the physical construction in order:
S1 - bare boards no protective box (and the whole OS was copied from Avalon)
S2 - wow that was a massive failure - sometimes fell apart or were broken during shipping
S3 - finally a physically solid miner
So it took them 3 goes to produce a physically solid and reliable miner

S5 - ... a thin piece of plastic on each side ... effectively no box ... wtf? why did they change that?
I stopped here, I've no idea what the later models are like.
Again, I understand.. I still lament the efficiency.

My s5's have been pretty rock steady.  My consumer Power supplies.. not so much.

legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
18-24 months is not the expected lifespan of a miner.  However, when the S9 breaks within 20 days of purchase... or shows up with a dead hashing board, or a dead controller.  Or after 30 days one of the boards dies on you.  Those stories are far too prevalent.  People have spent hundreds of dollars extra to replace parts, and they suffer the down time while their miner is either completely offline or if one of the boards dies, getting half the expected hash rate.

I have an S5.  One of the boards died on it.  It was brand new when I got it (received it from a guy for work I did for him).  It hashed for a while, and it was pretty steadily averaging 1.1TH/s.  My Avalons have suffered no such loss of functionality.

It's definitely a more expensive piece of hardware than Bitmain's latest.  Dollar per hash and watts per hash are both better with the S9.  However, Bitmain's hardware is flaky.  Bitmain's customer service is painful to deal with.  Bitmain's software is atrocious.

So... the question becomes, "how long will my hardware function without the need for maintenance or repair?".  With the S9, the answer is "not that long".  Hopefully Canaan has built the 721 to the same quality standards as their previous generations.  I've got 20 A6 that are all hashing away.  I think I've rebooted them a few times... and I replaced the fan on one.  That's the extent of my maintenance.

I'm very happy with the quality and the up-front price premium is something I'm willing to pay to have the peace of mind.

It's actually reasonable for cost.  Its the cost of operation that is 1.5X of the s9.. and important part of payback.

I know people have complained of the quality, but I haven't seen an issue, personally.  As far as longevity, I think the history of keeping something for more than 18-24 months.. is unlikely.  An S9 bought today better be sold within a year if you want to get any money out of it.

I've kept my S5s too long.  I'll be lucky to get $100 bucks a piece for them... and I'll fell guilty about it.  Smiley
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Also.. how do you get your hands on an Avalon controller?

An Avalon controller is a raspberry pi Smiley

The Avalon 7 is finally announced:

https://canaan.io/2016/11/07/the-avalonminer-721-is-roq-solid/

6TH at 900W.  $888.  Sales start 14 November.

Was really hoping for higher efficiency in the new model..  Isn't that 1.5X the power for the same Hashing rate?

Beats the s7, I guess.

Or am I missing something?   Its good to see something new from Avalon.. but I'm disappointed they didn't at least reach the bar.

It's definitely a more expensive piece of hardware than Bitmain's latest.  Dollar per hash and watts per hash are both better with the S9.  However, Bitmain's hardware is flaky.  Bitmain's customer service is painful to deal with.  Bitmain's software is atrocious.

So... the question becomes, "how long will my hardware function without the need for maintenance or repair?".  With the S9, the answer is "not that long".  Hopefully Canaan has built the 721 to the same quality standards as their previous generations.  I've got 20 A6 that are all hashing away.  I think I've rebooted them a few times... and I replaced the fan on one.  That's the extent of my maintenance.

I'm very happy with the quality and the up-front price premium is something I'm willing to pay to have the peace of mind.
Also.. how do you get your hands on an Avalon controller?

6TH at 900W.  $888.  Sales start 14 November.

Was really hoping for higher efficiency in the new model..  Isn't that 1.5X the power for the same Hashing rate?

Beats the s7, I guess.

Or am I missing something?   Its good to see something new from Avalon.. but I'm disappointed they didn't at least reach the bar.
Just ordered one of these.  Looks hopeful.

If no one's used this guy, I'll let you know what I think when I get it plugged in.

He's accepting offers for $159 for this with wiring customized to your needs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Supply-for-Two-x2-Antminer-S9-S7-with-Ready-To-Plug-Harness-/182254895754?hash=item2a6f3d028a:g:cWQAAOSwaB5XrNj2

He will also customize for your miner setup..
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
I've never used an Avalon -- but maybe I'll need to pick up a couple.  It would have been nice if they could have gotten the power down to 750W or less.  Then it would be a no brainer.  Do these run significantly quieter than Antminers?  Does the 721 require a raspberry pie?
The Avalon 6 is far quieter than Bitmain "S" products manufactured after the S3.  I don't know the noise level of the A721 because I don't have one Smiley.  I assume the A721 will run on an rPi, just like the previous Avalon miners do.  There hasn't been anything announced or even speculated that the A721 will introduce any proprietary controllers.

As far as Segwit -- my feelings are quite mixed.  I kind of think that it is important that bitcoin, as a community, can come to a consensus on SOMETHING! -- Personally, I would have preferred classic.  My concerns are related to things I've read and don't fully understand.  Such as using an "anyone can spend" multi-sig.  Also, doesn't Segwit pave the way for Lightning?  How will that affect our tx fee income?

Just some random thoughts -- and, like I said, I'm not nearly as intelligent as most of the people who post here.
Take a look at achow101's blog here: http://achow101.com/2016/04/Segwit-FUD-Clearup

He breaks down a lot of the myths surrounding segwit.

I personally haven't made up my mind yet, but I am working to ensure the pool software will be compatible with segwit should it be adopted by the 95% majority consensus.  There are a number of changes that need to be made - specifically to the coinbase transaction.  Unfortunately, the stratum server I use behind the scenes hasn't been actively developed in a while, and all changes I've made are my own code.  I've done a bunch of work on it, but I don't have the time to become the full time maintainer/owner of the public repository.  When I do get the code up and running, I'll probably create a pull request, but there's no guarantee the repo owner will even bother to merge it.
Activity: 228
Merit: 100
I've never used an Avalon -- but maybe I'll need to pick up a couple.  It would have been nice if they could have gotten the power down to 750W or less.  Then it would be a no brainer.  Do these run significantly quieter than Antminers?  Does the 721 require a raspberry pie?

As far as Segwit -- my feelings are quite mixed.  I kind of think that it is important that bitcoin, as a community, can come to a consensus on SOMETHING! -- Personally, I would have preferred classic.  My concerns are related to things I've read and don't fully understand.  Such as using an "anyone can spend" multi-sig.  Also, doesn't Segwit pave the way for Lightning?  How will that affect our tx fee income?

Just some random thoughts -- and, like I said, I'm not nearly as intelligent as most of the people who post here.

legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool

6TH at 900W.  $888.  Sales start 14 November.
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
I haven't decided on whether or not I personally will support the proposed changes.  I am, however, coding the backend to allow for the pool to continue to operate with the segwit changes.

I'm certainly interested in what my miners have to say about it.  Anyone passionate one way or the other?
Activity: 228
Merit: 100
How is this pool going to vote come 11/15?
I'm putting in 2 20A breakers, 1 for each outlet.  I've got a 200A Box
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Thanks, kano.  I wasn't aware that the standard was 10A for 240V.  Typically here it's 15A on our 120V residential circuits.  Not sure the "standard" here for the higher voltage since most of the time the 240V is used for electric stoves, dryers, HVAC systems, etc.  Usually they're 20A - 50A (at least they are in my breaker box Tongue).

Songminer - make sure you've got enough available power to handle the increased draw from the newly installed 220V circuits.  It can make a difference if you're close to maxing out.  Not sure if you've got 100A or 200A (or other) at home.  Unlike other things in your house (like the aforementioned dryer, stove, HVAC), your miners are ALWAYS drawing the power.  100% load, 100% of the time.
Pages:
Jump to: