Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 10. (Read 146880 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Its done?  Really?  First batchers have their units?

Read it again.   Yes, the R&D and first units are done.
Well, actually, BFL have "said" they are done.
But no one seems to have gotten one except Inaba (and his is a loan as far as his first post on it seems to suggest)
... unless the "WTF is that?" question I asked was supposed to be a shipped BFL? Tongue

Fine, I'll give you that for now.   That record is close to breaking though so make the most of it while you still can.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

Well, actually, BFL have "said" they are done.
But no one seems to have gotten one except Inaba (and his is a loan as far as his first post on it seems to suggest)
... unless the "WTF is that?" question I asked was supposed to be a shipped BFL? Tongue
Yes, well, thankfully everyone has the option to choose not to buy one if they have problems with BFL's business.

Us early adopters knew the risks but put down our cash early and will be rewarded with the first units.    If you decide you want to buy one now you'll have to wait for a new batch to be assembled and shipped out (exactly like the other fpga options on this forum, there's a delay of a few weeks between batches).   

This first batch has all been about research and development to build a stable design.   That's done now so all future orders are just a matter of getting the boards built and the units assembled I guess.

But again, you have the option to buy or not, no-ones forcing you at gunpoint. 

rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
If all of that is true.. so be it.  But promising 4-6 weeks if you know its going to be longer than that is wrong.

At what point of this thread did it lead you to believe they knew it would be longer?

Inaba, clearly you  are a proponent of BFL and i have no problem with that coming in here late in the game of all this.

i have a few questions for you:

1.  do you live nearby Kansas where they're located and is that why you were able to go and view demo versions in person?

2.  is BFL a large corporation or a start up shop?

3.  why do you think they are so silent here on the forums?  their products sell for good money especially that Rig so i'd assume they'd have a dedicated person available to answer all questions and assuage the masses here.

4.  i left a phone message for them 3d ago and never received a call back or anything and from what i read around here others are also not getting any feedback.  you have to acknowledge at least that this is very strange behavior for a corp that stands to make huge amounts of money selling these devices.

thanks in advance.
I know these threads are massive... but seriously - READ THEM. They are pertinent to this discussion, and they answer each and every one of your questions.
Activity: 349
Inaba's Test Single:

I have compiled shares submitted for various times during the past 66 hours.  Hopefully, the decrease in hash speed is due to instability in his internet connection.  So for the last 66 hours the average hash speed is 739 MHash/s. The data is in the link below.

http://pastebin.com/6nenzMsr

[Edit: updated] http://pastebin.com/XVRj154U
vip
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
Yes, well, thankfully everyone has the option to choose not to buy one if they have problems with BFL's business.

Us early adopters knew the risks but put down our cash early and will be rewarded with the first units.    If you decide you want to buy one now you'll have to wait for a new batch to be assembled and shipped out (exactly like the other fpga options on this forum, there's a delay of a few weeks between batches).   

This first batch has all been about research and development to build a stable design.   That's done now so all future orders are just a matter of getting the boards built and the units assembled I guess.

Activity: 616
Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer
If all of that is true.. so be it.  But promising 4-6 weeks if you know its going to be longer than that is wrong.

At what point of this thread did it lead you to believe they knew it would be longer?
Maybe for him about 12 weeks after they first promised 4-6 weeks?

Or ... for me when Sonny's email was posted proving that the reason the first version didn't do what they advertised and accepted money for, was that it didn't exist (it was a simulation) back when they were advertising details and accepting money for it

(also they are never gonna live down that 10 years experience statement ...)

Still with all that, you pre-ordered 8 or so right?
No, as I said many pages back, I'm waiting to see them being shipped (and in greater quantities than 1) before I'll consider risking putting money down (or giving someone a free 3 month loan)
However, with the discussions before about what chip they are using, I then added (for myself) "knowing the chip" as a requirement also since if they are batches of old chips, then if it fails down the track close to when the 6 months warranty expires, then you'd most likely be screwed anyway (or at least waiting 4-6 weeks to get it replaced)

I agree with all of that. At the very least you could say that BFL's business practice is unethical. We'll see if they're unethical because of lack of experience or for "other" reasons fairly soon.
vip

Or ... for me when Sonny's email was posted proving that the reason the first version didn't do what they advertised and accepted money for, was that it didn't exist (it was a simulation) back when they were advertising details and accepting money for it

All of this plus

Just to confirm, I've got your account marked for packing.  We haven't got to your unit position shipment yet.  We're obviously slow with the hand assembly, but we're very close.

There have been communications coming out of BFL that they are hand assembling (you said so yourself).  They know its going to be slow, yet they STILL continue to promise delivery in 4-6 weeks for new orders.  So essentially they have to ship all outstanding orders AND the new orders all within 4-6 weeks.  GLWT.
legendary

Still with all that, you pre-ordered 8 or so right?
No, as I said many pages back, I'm waiting to see them being shipped (and in greater quantities than 1) before I'll consider risking putting money down (or giving someone a free 3 month loan)
However, with the discussions before about what chip they are using, I then added (for myself) "knowing the chip" as a requirement also since if they are batches of old chips, then if it fails down the track close to when the 6 months warranty expires, then you'd most likely be screwed anyway (or at least waiting 4-6 weeks to get it replaced)

Still with all that, you pre-ordered right?
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

Inaba, clearly you  are a proponent of BFL and i have no problem with that coming in here late in the game of all this.

i have a few questions for you:

1.  do you live nearby Kansas where they're located and is that why you were able to go and view demo versions in person?

2.  is BFL a large corporation or a start up shop?

3.  why do you think they are so silent here on the forums?  their products sell for good money especially that Rig so i'd assume they'd have a dedicated person available to answer all questions and assuage the masses here.

4.  i left a phone message for them 3d ago and never received a call back or anything and from what i read around here others are also not getting any feedback.  you have to acknowledge at least that this is very strange behavior for a corp that stands to make huge amounts of money selling these devices.

thanks in advance.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Activity: 798
Its been 4 days since fred0 was told shipments would start and we haven't seen a single tracking number OR unboxing video.

Here's my latest (this was a day or two ago):

Just to confirm, I've got your account marked for packing.  We haven't got to your unit position shipment yet.  We're obviously slow with the hand assembly, but we're very close.

So, it seems you're in the first batch. Shocked
May I ask when you ordered it?

Towards the end of December, so I guess anything before that is in the first batch Smiley
Activity: 448
Its been 4 days since fred0 was told shipments would start and we haven't seen a single tracking number OR unboxing video.

Just to confirm, I've got your account marked for packing.  We haven't got to your unit position shipment yet.  We're obviously slow with the hand assembly, but we're very close.

So, it seems you're in the first batch. Shocked
May I ask when you ordered it?
vip
I think when someone sees what they mean by hand assembly, if you've ever done anything vaguely like it, you'll understand why it's a slow process.  I know I wouldn't want to be doing it...  They also do a burn in of the unit to make sure it's functioning, which takes time that can't be avoided.

If all of that is true.. so be it.  But promising 4-6 weeks if you know its going to be longer than that is wrong.
legendary
Activity: 1260
I think when someone sees what they mean by hand assembly, if you've ever done anything vaguely like it, you'll understand why it's a slow process.  I know I wouldn't want to be doing it...  They also do a burn in of the unit to make sure it's functioning, which takes time that can't be avoided.
Activity: 798

I'm starting a 3 BTC Bounty for a shipping number followed by an unboxing video. Anyone else on board? Quote this thread and add your bounty amount so that we can keep a tally.

Pages:
Jump to: