Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 6. (Read 146880 times)

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Thank you windows update for rebooting the BFL computer.  You are now disabled. Smiley  

Unit is back up and running.

Any insight yet on why the unit's hashrate is so much lower than 830Mhps? It doesn't seem to take long after a restart before it's consistently down in the 500's or 600's. Hopefully it is an issue with cgminer which can be fixed relatively quickly once some more units are in peoples' hands; a fundamental issue with the fpga firmware/hardware could be more difficult to address.

I've been watching and it seems the rates jump around from 600's to 900's. Not sure of the average but other posts have indicated its in the low 800's?
Pool. Hashrates. Are. NOT. Accurate. Full stop.

Inaba, how about streaming the desktop of the computer that is hosting the Single? Or point a webcam at it.
The share rate is all you need, in my opinion, to be happy that it is near the hash rates reported
- like D&T calculated a few pages back - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.748164

No mathematical proof here, but if you're mining 1 Diff shares and you mine for at least a few hours, your U: in cgminer will rarely be even 10% out.

On weekdays I mine 18 hours a day (electricity price banding is why - it more than doubles during the 6 hours I don't mine) with 2x6950 ~= 725MH/s which is also in the same general hash rate arena as the BFL and checking 59 logs in the last 2 months where the log was more than an hour, my U: is not once been out by more that +/-10% expected

So that's not mathematically proven, but IMO that number of real figures is good enough for me at least to take notice of the U: value after a couple of hours Smiley

( cgminer log file processing script for this you can load in a spreadsheet: http://pastebin.com/JUSNR2tK )
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Yeah I can change the window. I think I have it set at five minutes at the moment.

As far as steaming the desktop... I will be moving it to a Linux machine at some point and due to security reasons streaming or otherwise providing direct access to a box is likely not something I am willing to do. Although I might discuss it with BFL about making something like that available in the future.
Activity: 720
Merit: 525
Thank you windows update for rebooting the BFL computer.  You are now disabled. Smiley 

Any insight yet on why the unit's hashrate is so much lower than 830Mhps? It doesn't seem to take long after a restart before it's consistently down in the 500's or 600's. Hopefully it is an issue with cgminer which can be fixed relatively quickly once some more units are in peoples' hands; a fundamental issue with the fpga firmware/hardware could be more difficult to address.

I've been watching and it seems the rates jump around from 600's to 900's. Not sure of the average but other posts have indicated its in the low 800's?

Inaba, how about streaming the desktop of the computer that is hosting the Single? Or point a webcam at it.

Pool hashrates can be perfectly accurate. In fact, sometimes more accurate because the pool sees exactly what the miner is actually submitting. Just set the period for the average longer than 15 minutes. I would like it to be long enough to submit 400 shares, which is about 35 minutes for 800 MH/s. Inaba, can you change the period?
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Why did Epoch's post disappear?
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
Thank you windows update for rebooting the BFL computer.  You are now disabled. Smiley 

Activity: 446

legendary
Activity: 2044

Ugggg....I always have to remember to disable the automatic updates on my new installs.  Hate that shiiit.
legendary

vip
Activity: 1358
AKA: gigavps
I will buy anyone's spot in the first batch, if you want to get out now.

I'll pay a $20 premium if you want to give up your first batch order.

I would like to reiterate my offer in case anyone is interested.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
We'll be doing a full product review in 2 weeks when they hand over a single Vladimir to test and photograph in our UK office for BitTalk Media. Look for it in the first issue of BitTalk Magazine.
No BFL singles and no magazine....

I don't know if I made a public announcement of this or not (I think I did in the magazine thread), but Butterfly Labs informed me that they will not be able to release soon enough to meet the deadline for the first issue, but are actually interested in advertising in the magazine as well. I think this is all just a matter of time. Article such as product reviews are not that time sensitive though and we can do it whenever it is released. No point in reviewing something that isn't released yet. Sorry if that wasn't made clear before.

For the record, I also bought one of these so I have my own reasons to hunt them down to the ends of the earth if they were scammers. ^_^

(And for those of you thinking that will have a bias effect on any review, note that I am not the one doing the review, Vladimir Marchenko of the Bitcoin magazine is, and he has no intention of ever using anyone's mining hardware but his own.)

That's almost all I need to hear to purchase one!
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
We'll be doing a full product review in 2 weeks when they hand over a single Vladimir to test and photograph in our UK office for BitTalk Media. Look for it in the first issue of BitTalk Magazine.

I don't know if I made a public announcement of this or not (I think I did in the magazine thread), but Butterfly Labs informed me that they will not be able to release soon enough to meet the deadline for the first issue, but are actually interested in advertising in the magazine as well. I think this is all just a matter of time. Article such as product reviews are not that time sensitive though and we can do it whenever it is released. No point in reviewing something that isn't released yet. Sorry if that wasn't made clear before.

For the record, I also bought one of these so I have my own reasons to hunt them down to the ends of the earth if they were scammers. ^_^

(And for those of you thinking that will have a bias effect on any review, note that I am not the one doing the review, Vladimir Marchenko of the Bitcoin magazine is, and he has no intention of ever using anyone's mining hardware but his own.)
Activity: 489
Immersionist

Clearly, that magazine must be a scam then.  Grin  
Especially because they already took my bitcoins. Shocked
Very suspicious.
Matthew is probably already on the run with our hard earned cash.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032
Activity: 616
Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer
7.4GH/s in that photo... uh oh, nerdboner.

Ship, Ship Ship!
Immersionist
Has this already been posted?

More than 3 units in a single photo. And I see parcels one parcel in the background.
Immersionist
I will buy anyone's spot in the first batch, if you want to get out now.

I'll pay a $20 premium if you want to give up your first batch order.

Not so fast gentlemen, I still have priority since I said it first Wink

Somebody here was "willing" to sell his two first batch pre-order positions for $200 a piece. Not kidding.
vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
Goat and Sysrun have agreed on their bet.
I am holding the funds and will pay the winner of the bet

Graeme
Activity: 616
Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer
Inaba, you have the single in your datacenter now, correct? Could it be overheating? I'm seeing the same 30% reduction in performance as before.

nevermind, appears to be fixed??
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I don't know why, but it got locked into a lower hashrate.  I restarted cgminer just now and it kicked back to 825 MH... looks like it's got some sort of stepping, although it might be a bug with cgminer, since it's virtually untested code?  I need to get the Ufasoft miner installed and test it out as well.

I'm working on the Icarus code (coz of problems) which is copied from Luke's not very well tested BFL code.
When I sort it out for Icarus, if the problems I find could relate to BFL I'll let you know.
legendary
I don't know why, but it got locked into a lower hashrate.  I restarted cgminer just now and it kicked back to 825 MH... looks like it's got some sort of stepping, although it might be a bug with cgminer, since it's virtually untested code?  I need to get the Ufasoft miner installed and test it out as well.

Pages:
Jump to: