Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 12. (Read 146880 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
So where do I buy it?
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Far outpacing any other FPGA offering.

Give me a break.

Its performance per watt is less than half of a 6s150 FPGA design.

It's very likely that these BFL units will become unprofitable later this year,
as more power-efficient technologies start to drive the network difficulty.

-rph

Give me a break.  Show me one shipping unit that comes anywhere even CLOSE to BFL's offering.  Go on... send me a link.  Don't give me your theoretical bullshit you just spewed out in the quote.  Show me something tangible.  You can't, because you're talking shit.

Wow that was a big edit just as I hit reply Smiley
(had to find the numbers in my IRC log Tongue)

Anyway - are BFL's actually shipping yet? ... No your one doesn't count Smiley

The guy with the Icarus that I keep chatting with (and helping) in IRC was getting a U: of 3.3/m with the testing we did last night (1 hour run)
(aside: with it connected to a router not a PC Tongue)
So that would imply 235Mh/s +/- something like 10%
And it was measuring 9W ...
legendary

Give me a break.

-rph

Give me a break.  Show me one shipping unit that comes anywhere even CLOSE to BFL's offering.  Go on... send me a link.  Don't give me your theoretical bullshit you just spewed out in the quote.  Show me something tangible.  You can't, because you're talking shit.

legendary
i should have been more clear. i mean why can the two chips do it and my 7970s cant.
Your miner must implement rollntime and so also must your pool.
Both or it doesn't happen.

cgminer does Tongue

Edit: or look at it this way:
It has nothing to do with your 7970 vs the BFL FPGA.

Inaba was using cgminer on his pool.
That means his pool allows rollntime (and cgminer of course does also)

ckolivas has his 7970 doing 717 Mh/s with cgminer ... ... ...
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
OK so pay me now please Smiley

Efficiency is the number of shares per getwork.
In normal mining with 1 difficulty shares, you'd expect on average one share per getwork.
(if you mine fast enough)

If you use rollntime, you can then hash a full nonce range again each time you change the time in the block header.

If you do it 4 times you can expect to get 5 shares per getwork ... = 500% efficiency.

Edit: and to be complete ...

Also what you hash is 80 bytes =
version(4) previous hash(32) merklroot(32) time(4) difficulty(4) nonce(4)
(where (x) is the size in bytes)

When you roll the time, you change the time(4) and then hash another nonce range

A nonce range is when you try different values for 'nonce' so a full nonce range is 0x00000000 to 0xffffffff or 2^32 different values

A pool will say if it allows rollntime - coz if it doesn't allow it, then any shares you return with rolled time will not match what they expect.

I wish I understood this, but I'm happy there are people who do...
legendary
OK so pay me now please Smiley

Efficiency is the number of shares per getwork.
In normal mining with 1 difficulty shares, you'd expect on average one share per getwork.
(if you mine fast enough)

If you use rollntime, you can then hash a full nonce range again each time you change the time in the block header.

If you do it 4 times you can expect to get 5 shares per getwork ... = 500% efficiency.

Edit: and to be complete ...

Also what you hash is 80 bytes =
version(4) previous hash(32) merklroot(32) time(4) difficulty(4) nonce(4)
(where (x) is the size in bytes)

When you roll the time, you change the time(4) and then hash another nonce range

A nonce range is when you try different values for 'nonce' so a full nonce range is 0x00000000 to 0xffffffff or 2^32 different values

A pool will say if it allows rollntime - coz if it doesn't allow it, then any shares you return with rolled time will not match what they expect.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Yeah. Typical sketchy behaviour from BFL.

STILL no information about that chip under the heatsink.

STILL no shipping information.

STILL no proof they have more than 3 devices anywhere at all.

STILL 4-6 weeks delivery.

How lazy or incompetent can you get if this is not a long con ? 

Buy them up folks ! Magic in a box for sure. Efficiency 500% : what more do you need Grin ?
legendary
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
rph
Activity: 176
Merit: 100

Give me a break.

-rph
legendary
Video of the device?  What do you want the video to show?  A box with a red light? heh

Even though it could be doctored, maybe a video of the box hooked up to a computer with a display on the screen of mhash/s.

Also, a walk through from opening the box, hooking it up and getting the software running.

I realize that's a lot to ask, but it's certainly something I'd be watching right now if it was available. Smiley
uck
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
The video could show general sound level, and could show how easy it was to get it to start hashing. 
legendary
Video of the device?  What do you want the video to show?  A box with a red light? heh
uck
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
The fact is the most devices ever seen together in a photo is 3.  How about a picture of the boxes ready to ship with labels on them?

Also, we've never seen video of the device.
Activity: 448
The silence is deafening - noone but Inaba has received a device yet.
Assuming they shipped out the first batch on Monday, surely some people in the mid-west would have received their unit by Wednesday evening, no? Huh
legendary
I'm thinking we'd get it by May 1st
I was thinking April 1st, surely.

So you have faith that they are really shipping as we speak & will be shipping more within the next 4-6 weeks?
April 1st is April Fools Day...

That said, yes I think I'll get mine eventually. I waited a bit to order, so I may not actually be in the first group, so hopefully I won't get the ass-ugly fan-protruding-from-the-bottom design.

heh, ya I wouldn't care what it looks like.  But I was asking what if you ordered one from the website today, when would you expect to receive it?

Hence, if you "pre-ordered" and you're thinking April 1, then I'm thinking I wouldn't be until May 1 or June 1 even...

This makes me want to learn how to make them on my own this weekend instead.
rjk
1ngldh

So you have faith that they are really shipping as we speak & will be shipping more within the next 4-6 weeks?
April 1st is April Fools Day...

That said, yes I think I'll get mine eventually. I waited a bit to order, so I may not actually be in the first group, so hopefully I won't get the ass-ugly fan-protruding-from-the-bottom design.
legendary

rjk
1ngldh
legendary
Thanks Inaba, great report.

I wish BFL would come back onto the forums and give some "official" updates as to the progress beyond this loaner unit.

Yes, the question is when will get their first actual unit to keep?

The website still says 4-6 weeks.

What are people's best estimate of when someone would get a unit if they ordered via the website today (February 15, 2012)?

Do you think April 30, 2012 is possible?

Might be faster for my friends and I to try making our own?

They said now that they are shipping, refunds will not be given for cold feet.

I presume that 2nd part is only for people in the first batch ...

Their website still says guaranteed shipment 4-6 weeks from order.  Obviously 'guaranteed' means nothing.

Now the magic question is, if they are shipping, what is their production run. Do new orders have to wait 4-6 weeks?

Phil

Agreed, want to start estimating when we would get a unit if we bought it today?

Pages:
Jump to: