Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 13. (Read 146880 times)

vip
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
They said now that they are shipping, refunds will not be given for cold feet.
I presume that 2nd part is only for people in the first batch ...

Their website still says guaranteed shipment 4-6 weeks from order.  Obviously 'guaranteed' means nothing.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I presume that 2nd part is only for people in the first batch ...
Activity: 866
Merit: 1001
Now the magic question is, if they are shipping, what is their production run. Do new orders have to wait 4-6 weeks?

Phil
vip
Activity: 574
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

Where did they say that?
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
donator
Activity: 919
Merit: 1000
Thanks a lot for this report, Inaba.

I've got an order in place and will sleep better now.

You did basically the PR that we Bitcoiners expected from BFL. I hope they will be fair enough and give you one BitForce to pay tribute for your hard efforts. Anyhow, please post your donation address.

its 168Bgg6HL6bLiUxQDBbdmHRbXtSsMixYCT

check his signature.
Thanks, I was thinking of a special BFL related one to support him personally and not his pool, but it maybe does not matter in the end...
Activity: 616
Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

You did basically the PR that we Bitcoiners expected from BFL. I hope they will be fair enough and give you one BitForce to pay tribute for your hard efforts. Anyhow, please post your donation address.

its 168Bgg6HL6bLiUxQDBbdmHRbXtSsMixYCT

check his signature.
donator
Activity: 919

Activity: 295
And I'm sure they sanded the part numbers off from the chips to increase thermal conductivity, right?   Wink
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
It's really bizarre that they mounted a heat sink onto the underside of the board. It's hard to believe that: 1) the FPGAs heat up the FR4 enough to require a heat sink and 2) that the PCB can actually transfers heat effectively through a heat sink enough to cool it.

The device was originally designed to displace 20W of thermal load based on widely optimistic specs.  The only reason to put a heatsink on bottom is because you can't displace enough heat from the top.  The heatsink on the bottom is probably very inefficient but pulls just enough thermal energy to avoid internal temp of FPGA from getting critical.

Now you could say "just use a bigger heatsink" but there are problems with that.  As heatsink gets larger it disipates more heat but it isn't linear.  What matters is the temp at the core of the FPGA so while a larger heatsink may reduce the surface temp of the heat sink a lot it will have a smaller effect on the FPGA core.  The design of FPGA makes their ability to disipate heat limited.  Intel/AMD put a lot of design into making the chip package able to move heat to the heatspreader and then to the heatsink.

Each FPGA is dumping ~35W+, the board (designed when estimate was chips produce 6W) puts the chips side by side, which complicates effective cooling.

If they have a lot of these last gen chips I would imagine a redesigned board will be made eventually.  Seperating the chips and putting more clearance space around them would allow mounting a "CPU style" heatsink on each.   If they have a limited number it probably isn't worth a redesign as (just my guess) they will use the capital from this 65nm product to skip right to a 28nm product in late 2012.
It's really bizarre that they mounted a heat sink onto the underside of the board. It's hard to believe that: 1) the FPGAs heat up the FR4 enough to require a heat sink and 2) that the PCB can actually transfers heat effectively through a heat sink enough to cool it.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
Thanks Inaba, great report.

I wish BFL would come back onto the forums and give some "official" updates as to the progress beyond this loaner unit.

Yes, the question is when will get their first actual unit to keep?

The website still says 4-6 weeks.

What are people's best estimate of when someone would get a unit if they ordered via the website today (February 15, 2012)?

Do you think April 30, 2012 is possible?

Might be faster for my friends and I to try making our own?
Thanks Inaba, great report.

I wish BFL would come back onto the forums and give some "official" updates as to the progress beyond this loaner unit.
Activity: 455
You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin
Thanks Inaba for the report!

I'll take a ghetto miner today over a pretty box tomorrow any day!
If it hashes and power is somewhat on target, there will be no complaining here.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Hell that post must have taken you a while Smiley
Excellent.

Firstly the obvious:
 Yes it's rollntime. No magic there.

Question: ambient temperature?

Edit: LOL missed that at the top 80F Tongue

Edit2: OK so 26C not hot but not cold - hmm hopefully being in a hotter climate isn't an issue.
But at least it does have temperature measurement available.
2.2.3 gives temps for bitforce so I guess people will find out quick once they actually ship ...
Activity: 798
I'm not a troll here but the flying pigs motif is somewhat worrying. Undecided

I believe that's just Inaba being funny Smiley
Activity: 283
Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.
I'm not a troll here but the flying pigs motif is somewhat worrying. Undecided
Thanks for the report btw!  Cheesy
Ugh, hacky heatsinks!. Nm, needs must. Any idea when I can buy one now that the market is tanking again?
Activity: 798
Stuff

Brilliant Inaba, just brilliant.   Thanks so much for taking the time to do all that.   Very excited for these to turn up now.   As for the "ugly" box, right now I have my (huge) PC case open, lying on it's side, with 2 GPU's balanced on the top, and a giant fan pointed at everything (its Summer here).  Compared to that horrible mess, these things are an Adonis Smiley

Bring it on bitches.
Pages:
Jump to: