Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 9. (Read 146880 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
I disagree with nearly every point.  Not sure it's worth going over point by point though.  

Believe what you want, I'd say I'm basking in the warmth of a functioning unit making a couple bucks a day, but it's not really that warm.

I'm with you.  There must be a mild form of retardation sweeping this forum Wink

Just on that, this place is an absolutely terrible advocate for Bitcoin.   The idiot ratio is off the charts.  There needs some serious changes to moderation here if we ever want the general public to get serious about this currency.   Its absolutely shocking that this place is likely one of the first places new people are exposed to when investigating Bitcoin Sad

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
I disagree with nearly every point.  Not sure it's worth going over point by point though. 

Believe what you want, I'd say I'm basking in the warmth of a functioning unit making a couple bucks a day, but it's not really that warm.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Anyway:

Maybe for him about 12 weeks after they first promised 4-6 weeks?

The question was: "...if you know it's going to be longer than that it is wrong "

My response was appropriate.  They did not know it was going to be wrong.. I believe they offered that date in good faith, and nothing in this or the last thread is evidence to the contrary.
That was a joke because it is QUITE PLAINLY obvious they knew 4-6 weeks was bullshit for a number of reasons:

They knew it from the start when they first said 4-6 weeks coz they didn't even have a device that existed. (A)

They knew it back when they first got to 6 weeks and still had nothing to sell.
Obvious to anyone with half an ounce of intelligence.

They knew it again when they found out that their Rev 1 design was crap due using 4 times the power of the simulation.
(Though I still wonder how they didn't work that out before you plugged it in for them ... they couldn't test their own hardware?)

They knew it again when they decided to work that old lady to death making the boards instead of using a slave labour circuit production shop in somewhere other than China.

Throughout this entire time they keep replying with 4-6 weeks - magic how that number never changes - every project plan they wrote came up with 4-6 weeks ... or did nothing like a project plan ever exist or ever get revised ...

10 years experience ... doing what? Flipping burgers at McDonald's sounds more accurate.

Is it a 10 year experienced business or some guy's garage?

A garage is fine if that's what it is and they had said that, but it's not what they have ever said.

Or ... for me when Sonny's email was posted proving that the reason the first version didn't do what they advertised and accepted money for, was that it didn't exist (it was a simulation) back when they were advertising details and accepting money for it

I fail to see how it has anything to do with shipping times.
See the PLAINLY obvious item (A) above.
Activity: 295
So what should they put there, instead?

The truth?  We promised shipping product 3 months ago and nothing has shipped yet.  Pre-orders are accepted at this time however shipping times can not be guaranteed.  Pre-orders are shipped in the order they were made. As we get closer to your batch shipping you will be advised of a shipping timeframe.

Well put. I second that.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis

The truth?  We promised shipping product 3 months ago and nothing has shipped yet.  Pre-orders are accepted at this time however shipping times can not be guaranteed.  Pre-orders are shipped in the order they were made. As we get closer to your batch shipping you will be advised of a shipping timeframe.
legendary
vip
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

The question was: "...if you know it's going to be longer than that it is wrong "

My response was appropriate.  They did not know it was going to be wrong.. I believe they offered that date in good faith, and nothing in this or the last thread is evidence to the contrary.

Perhaps, but then they should remove the expected shipping times from their website.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Something about a Chinese new year, which apparently takes more than a week or 2 to celebrate  Roll Eyes

Well they do have assembly houses in the US (and Germany, France, England, Japan, South Korea, Thailand, ... etc).
Activity: 349
I have compiled shares submitted for various times during the past 66 hours.  Hopefully, the decrease in hash speed is due to instability in his internet connection.  So for the last 66 hours the average hash speed is 739 MHash/s. The data is in the link below.

It has not been mining non-stop. I took it offline for awhile to move it from my house to downtown KC, and it's been offline a couple times while I did some other tests and adjustments to the software.  I will leave it online for the next 4 days or so without interruption if you want to start clocking it now, as of 18:00 CST.  If it crashes or is interrupted for some other reason, I will report that.
I see breaks in the data where I thought that occurred.  That's why I calculated the MH/s for each interval in addition to the total...

Thanks for all your info regarding this!
legendary
BFL ended up selling me the review unit, mostly because I refused to give it back. Smiley  

Anyway:

Or ... for me when Sonny's email was posted proving that the reason the first version didn't do what they advertised and accepted money for, was that it didn't exist (it was a simulation) back when they were advertising details and accepting money for it

I fail to see how it has anything to do with shipping times.

1.  do you live nearby Kansas where they're located and is that why you were able to go and view demo versions in person?

2.  is BFL a large corporation or a start up shop?

3.  why do you think they are so silent here on the forums?  their products sell for good money especially that Rig so i'd assume they'd have a dedicated person available to answer all questions and assuage the masses here.

4.  i left a phone message for them 3d ago and never received a call back or anything and from what i read around here others are also not getting any feedback.  you have to acknowledge at least that this is very strange behavior for a corp that stands to make huge amounts of money selling these devices.

1. Yes.
2. No, Yes.
3. Because the forums, like many forums of this type, are not a professional environment, and the people inhabiting them are barely fit for human contact. I, and many people here, are veteran Internet Forum goers, so we are familiar with the incredible amount of shit that flows through the screen.  Any uninitiated, sane human would be taken aback and disgusted by what passes as normal conversation here.  As Sonny was/is unfamiliar with online forums, he was understandably upset by the behavior and elected to not participate in it... probably a wise move, because you can't make a tower of gold out of a pile of shit, which is what 99.9% of these two threads are.  So why bother?  You can email them if you are so inclined.
4. I don't think they stand to make "huge amounts of money," and while I agree that perhaps 3 days without communication is something that should be addressed, I do know they are working exceptionally long hours to get these things out the door.  See below for more on this.

There have been communications coming out of BFL that they are hand assembling (you said so yourself).  They know its going to be slow, yet they STILL continue to promise delivery in 4-6 weeks for new orders.  So essentially they have to ship all outstanding orders AND the new orders all within 4-6 weeks.  GLWT.

They are hand assembling to meet the deadline as close as they can, instead of waiting through Chinese New Year and the "dead period" afterwards to get them assembled in Asia.  They are also "hand assembling" to accommodate the "revised" heatsink issue... this, I suspect, is what's taking the lions share of the time.  I probably would have drilled a hole in my head if I was staring down the number of units I had to cut that they are in the process of doing. I hope ya'll bought stock in dremel.

I expect Rev 2 units will be preassembled and ready to go.

I have compiled shares submitted for various times during the past 66 hours.  Hopefully, the decrease in hash speed is due to instability in his internet connection.  So for the last 66 hours the average hash speed is 739 MHash/s. The data is in the link below.

It has not been mining non-stop. I took it offline for awhile to move it from my house to downtown KC, and it's been offline a couple times while I did some other tests and adjustments to the software.  I will leave it online for the next 4 days or so without interruption if you want to start clocking it now, as of 18:00 CST.  If it crashes or is interrupted for some other reason, I will report that.

Activity: 448
I think when someone sees what they mean by hand assembly, if you've ever done anything vaguely like it, you'll understand why it's a slow process.  I know I wouldn't want to be doing it...  They also do a burn in of the unit to make sure it's functioning, which takes time that can't be avoided.

Doesn't it cost a trifling amount to have your board populated at an assembly house? Hire some fucking day laborers at have them screw on fans.
Something about a Chinese new year, which apparently takes more than a week or 2 four months to celebrate  Roll Eyes

Ohhh....that explains everything!
rjk
1ngldh
I think when someone sees what they mean by hand assembly, if you've ever done anything vaguely like it, you'll understand why it's a slow process.  I know I wouldn't want to be doing it...  They also do a burn in of the unit to make sure it's functioning, which takes time that can't be avoided.

Doesn't it cost a trifling amount to have your board populated at an assembly house? Hire some fucking day laborers at have them screw on fans.
Something about a Chinese new year, which apparently takes more than a week or 2 to celebrate  Roll Eyes
Activity: 616
Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer
vip
Activity: 574
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
My reply to Kano applies to you as well.  Your fun is nearly over so make the most of it while you can.  Why some of you are so desperate for these things to not exist I'm not sure I'll ever understand, but whatever gets you off I suppose.

Now it is you that gets to reread.  My posting simply stated that it is bad form for BFL to continue to promise delivery in 4-6 weeks from payment for a device that hasn't been seen in the wild.  A loaner device is not the same as orders being filled.

I know why you so desperately want everything to work out and I'm not saying I want to see people get scammed.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
Is somone wishes to shitlist BFL for their false claims they are frree to do so.

And BFL is free to defend themselves in a moderated environment, unlike this forum.

Just like everybody else.

The bictoin shitlist link is in my signature Wink

Are you privy to some information that the rest of their customer base isn't? No one has one yet, except for Inaba, and one unit hardly proves anything. I could get you a single working FPGA for $10,000+ in preorder money that people claim to have lent them for four months.

My reply to Kano applies to you as well.  Your fun is nearly over so make the most of it while you can.  Why some of you are so desperate for these things to not exist I'm not sure I'll ever understand, but whatever gets you off I suppose.

Please go to the first page of the original thread and note that I have voiced my desire for these to be real since the beginning, and have repeatedly stated that I would purchase at least one if they prove to exist. Why are you so insistent on Polar Expressing this shit? "You can only hear the bell if you truly believe..."

They still don't exist...nearly five months later. 4-6 weeks, anyone?
Activity: 350

Are you privy to some information that the rest of their customer base isn't? No one has one yet, except for Inaba, and one unit hardly proves anything. I could get you a single working FPGA for $10,000+ in preorder money that people claim to have lent them for four months.

Doesn't it cost a trifling amount to have your board populated at an assembly house? Hire some fucking day laborers at have them screw on fans. I used to pick up ten laborers to help trim when I would harvest, and they'd get $200 and an ounce of weed if they wanted it. My shit got done in eight hours.

2.  is BFL a large corporation or a start up shop?

Neither...they are an unregistered entity, despite their claims of incorporation.

Read it again.   Yes, the R&D and first units are done.

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Its done?  Really?  First batchers have their units?

Read it again.   Yes, the R&D and first units are done.
Well, actually, BFL have "said" they are done.
But no one seems to have gotten one except Inaba (and his is a loan as far as his first post on it seems to suggest)
... unless the "WTF is that?" question I asked was supposed to be a shipped BFL? Tongue

Fine, I'll give you that for now.   That record is close to breaking though so make the most of it while you still can.
I was expecting to see them on Wednesday - I'm not arguing they will never arrive at all.
I'm simply saying that they still haven't.
Pages:
Jump to: