Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 16. (Read 146880 times)

Activity: 720
Merit: 525
If Ianab has the start time we could look at total shares / total time to get more accurate "runtime" hashrate.  Of course anyone could it themselves by simply taking a time stamp and the share count and then check it again in 2, 8, 24 hours.
shares since reset 1414  @ 2012-02-14 05:52:46 (UTC)

2252 shares at 7:08 UTC. That's 838 shares in 4560 seconds, or 789 +/- 27 MH/s. Let's see what it is in another hour.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
Now I can buy all your 5970's for cheap. You can spend the big bucks on these things..
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis

I've been watching this thing ever since it went online. I noticed it quickly stabilized at around 830-850 Mhps, but once it submitted about 600-650 shares, its speed dropped to around 750-770 Mhps and it has remained at this low speed for at least the past 10 minutes (shares as I type this are 787 shares, speed 758Mhps).

Is this one of the prototype units, the one with the power problems, or is this a production unit representative of what will ship? Any idea why the sustained speed drop after 20 minutes or so of operation? Thermal throttling? It is worrisome.

We're down to 715Mhps @ 1308 shares now. Not looking good. That's even outside BFL's claimed +/-10% variance (I was hoping for +10% myself).  Undecided

Depends when you look at it.  Right now it's 777Mh.   That's just the way it works unfortunately as the hashrate is worked out by the number of shares submitted within a certain time.  It's not all that accurate at the best of times.

If Ianab has the start time we could look at total shares / total time to get more accurate "runtime" hashrate.  Of course anyone could it themselves by simply taking a time stamp and the share count and then check it again in 2, 8, 24 hours.

shares since reset 1414  @ 2012-02-14 05:52:46 (UTC)
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

I've been watching this thing ever since it went online. I noticed it quickly stabilized at around 830-850 Mhps, but once it submitted about 600-650 shares, its speed dropped to around 750-770 Mhps and it has remained at this low speed for at least the past 10 minutes (shares as I type this are 787 shares, speed 758Mhps).

Is this one of the prototype units, the one with the power problems, or is this a production unit representative of what will ship? Any idea why the sustained speed drop after 20 minutes or so of operation? Thermal throttling? It is worrisome.

We're down to 715Mhps @ 1308 shares now. Not looking good. That's even outside BFL's claimed +/-10% variance (I was hoping for +10% myself).  Undecided

Depends when you look at it.  Right now it's 777Mh.   That's just the way it works unfortunately as the hashrate is worked out by the number of shares submitted within a certain time.  It's not all that accurate at the best of times.

That's why an average is handy.    

EDIT:  Now it's 858Mh.    Don't get all worked up by the displayed hashrate on a pool site.   Even cgminer is flaky like that with GPU's, but the average displays a more useful figure.
legendary
Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

We're down to 715Mhps @ 1308 shares now. Not looking good. That's even outside BFL's claimed +/-10% variance (I was hoping for +10% myself).  Undecided

EDIT: false alarm.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
Awesome Inaba Grin

Looking forward to your review Cool

This is what I've been waiting for  Wink
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
at least people are now asking him reasonable question and not attacking him personally.

i hope he takes all the time he needs to reply, after seeing all the bullshit and abuse directed toward him since he did the initial testing.
legendary
Activity: 2044
IT LIVES!!!!

Operation "replace the 6 GPU's in my office" might have to be undertaken.....
Activity: 798
at least people are now asking him reasonable question and not attacking him personally.

Yes, well hopefully he has those people on ignore.    Thanks for the link Inaba!
Activity: 350

Yeah, an average hash figure would be nice, at least just for this first test.   Poor old Inaba, he's going to get pestered so much over this until the rest arrive Cheesy
legendary

EDIT: false alarm.
legendary

Inaba, glad to see you're the first with one of these things; you put in a lot of your time for our benefit. If I may ask, what O/S and what mining software are you running it with (I think Fred0 was wondering about this as well)? I understand that ufasoft and cgminer claim bitforce support, and I'm not sure what software these will ship with.
Activity: 349
fred0, looks like the wait is nearly over.   Can't wait to get rid of these damn GPU's, my study is going to be oddly quiet....
Seriously, the noise, the heat, the electricity, it's like hell...

Inaba, tell us about the power draw, and the noise, and the mining software(ufasoft or cgminer or something else).

I saw something about temperature monitoring in cgminer's change log.

Thanks.
uck
Activity: 94

So what engineering purpose does the pig help out with?  The airflow?
Inaba, not sure if you have the time or tools to do this, but if you have a thermometer (or something more techy) that you can use to record the temps coming out of this thing every couple of hours or whatever, that'd be handy Smiley    I assume it'll be fine with the dual fans (and that's obviously what they've been testing this whole time), but it'd be nice to have some figures anyway.

Thanks a bunch for that link, I'll certainly have half an eye on that this evening.   Looking pretty good so far.

I don't suppose you have a Kill-a-watt or similar as well do you, to measure the final wattage?
Sorry, couldn't resist as you just couldn't wait to gloat about the slow hash rate.  Guess we both look like idiots don't we.

No.  Just you.

Uh-huh.  I'm not the one that doesn't understand hash rates.  Aaaanyway, enjoy yourself up there on that high horse.

fred0, looks like the wait is nearly over.   Can't wait to get rid of these damn GPU's, my study is going to be oddly quiet....
Activity: 79
Just started the unit.  Give it about 20 minutes for the pool to normalize the hashrate.
What hashrate is this supposed to run at on average?
I've seen anywhere between 811-930
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Sorry, couldn't resist as you just couldn't wait to gloat about the slow hash rate.  Guess we both look like idiots don't we.

No.  Just you.
Activity: 349
Hey fred0,

How about an update? Did they come through with a tracking number today?
Sadly no, my inbox is lacking anything resembling tracking numbers.  Although, I am pretty sure that I am not among the first of the first preorders, but I should be pretty far up the list.  Unless Sonny K gets hit by a bus, I think that my order will be shipped this week.  Still that  is just an assumption, I have no idea how many could be before me.

BTW, I ordered 10/19/2011, so Sunday this week will be four months.

The long wait is agonizing, but I have a good feeling that it will be worth it...even my patience runs out, but I'm not there yet.

I hope there is something wrong w/ your stats. 530 MH/s? 

Check again sweetie

Try to keep up.  I know it is tough but threads work in chronological order.  See the posts below my post occurred later in time.  Your post was neither relevant nor timely.

Pages:
Jump to: