Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 18. (Read 146909 times)

legendary
Activity: 922
Merit: 1003
Code:
| |
|F|          heat sink
|A|          XXX
|N|--------------------
| |  mining board
bottom

The fan blowing from the side with the board perpendicular to it so roughly 2/3rds to 3/4th of airflow is across the top of the board and the rest to the underside.

This would also enable these things to be stacked, which the current design does not (at least, not in an obvious way).
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
LOL for putting a fan under that PCB and one on top.

Does this forum have a facepalm button Grin ?

Guess I was wrong thinking they wouldnt be that stupid.
Then again, maybe they arent, and the underside is actually getting hot enough to warrant a fan?

Well thermal energy has to go somewhere but if the bottom side of the board is getting hot enough to warrant a dedicated fan then that would indicated insufficient cooling of the heat sink.  As the heat sink heats up thermal energy will flow to the coolest spot (i.e. the bottom of pcb).

Even if one wanted to cool both sides of PCB a designed solution would be something like

Code:
| |
|F|          heat sink
|A|          XXX
|N|--------------------
| |  mining board
bottom

The fan blowing from the side with the board perpendicular to it so roughly 2/3rds to 3/4th of airflow is across the top of the board and the rest to the underside.
Activity: 360
Merit: 250

Then again, maybe they arent, and the underside is actually getting hot enough to warrant a fan?

Well, the current pictures clearly showing improvisation. Nobody would like to have an external fan under the box. They are under time pressure and can't fix this without changing the mechanical construction. For me it's quite clear that the two big logic chips, and also some other components, are getting so hot that they have temp. hotspots on the bottom of the PCB. And there is no airflow. Cooling a chip with a heat-sink and a fan from the top side is common, but when my chips are getting hot they transfer a lot of the heat to the PCB also. Often it's a good idea to have any kind of airflow also on the bottom side of the PCB. A good example are GPU cards. Have you ever touched the bottom side of the PCB at the place where the GPU's or Voltage regulator are placed under full load?

Also other FPGA designs (e.g. Icarus) getting very hot below the chips, even with a heat-sink + fan on top of the chip. And the Spartan-6 is not such a large FPGA which consumes so much power.   
Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Activity: 448
If anyone with one or more paid units for the first batch wants to trade his pre-order position for a few bitcoins (10-15, negotiable), feel free to send me a PM Grin

Three problems with this proposal:

1. People typically don't know which batch they're in
2. Allegedly, as soon as the first batch ships, the price for new orders will rise by $100, which is more than your offer
3. BFL would need to agree to the position trading, which is far from certain

1. So my offer is valid for anyone with a confirmed first batch unit Wink
2. Hmm.
3. Wouldn't it be up to the buyer to decide where to ship it to?
(ie. if I pay the original buyer then all that would change would be the shipping address, and of course some Bitcoins would change hands outside of BFL)

I take it from your reply that you are not willing to trade your pre-order position for a few Bitcoins, are you?

Not for this price. I ordered my first one 5 weeks ago, the other ones somewhat later, and ASSUMING that I'm in the first batch, which I have no evidence of, you can acquire it for $799 + $10 shipping via private buy-it-now auction on eBay, once I have received it.

Edit: Actually my memory is not that great as to the precise time I ordered it, but I am positive that it was 4 to 6 weeks ago. Grin
Activity: 489
Immersionist
If anyone with one or more paid units for the first batch wants to trade his pre-order position for a few bitcoins (10-15, negotiable), feel free to send me a PM Grin

2. Allegedly, as soon as the first batch ships, the price for new orders will rise by $100, which is more than your offer

1. So my offer is valid for anyone with a confirmed first batch unit Wink
2. Hmm.
3. Wouldn't it be up to the buyer to decide where to ship it to?
(ie. if I pay the original buyer then all that would change would be the shipping address, and of course some Bitcoins would change hands outside of BFL)

I take it from your reply that you are not willing to trade your pre-order position for a few Bitcoins, are you?

Activity: 489
Immersionist
rjk
1ngldh

Secondly, you seem to still be stuck on the "it's a scam!" bandwagon.   Even the hardcore trolls in here have given up on that one. 

No, they haven't. It's still vapourware until a single unit is delivered.

Sorry, I should have clarified.  The smart ones have.

or maybe you shouldn't be such a damn fanboy.
+1. As bad as the Apple bastards. I mean hell, I've ordered one and I'm pretty sure something will be delivered, but I am seriously still trying to remain objective at least.
Activity: 518

Activity: 350

Secondly, you seem to still be stuck on the "it's a scam!" bandwagon.   Even the hardcore trolls in here have given up on that one. 

Sorry, I should have clarified.  The smart ones have.
Activity: 266
The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame
rjk
1ngldh
Can I get it in tungsten? Like it good and dense, them UPS guys need the exercise.
No, it would cut into the profits by costing more in shipping. Don't you have any business sense? Tongue Grin

Maybe I was paying for shipping! Now I kind of want it milled from Titanium.
Me, I'll take depleted uranium. My driver is a tad chubby, could do with some work.
Can I get it in tungsten? Like it good and dense, them UPS guys need the exercise.
No, it would cut into the profits by costing more in shipping. Don't you have any business sense? Tongue Grin

Maybe I was paying for shipping! Now I kind of want it milled from Titanium.
rjk
1ngldh
Activity: 504
Decent Programmer to boot!
IMHO: I predict that in this 'run' they will ship like 3 units, the rest will have to be sent out to Taiwan or wherever it was to be machined. 4-6 weeks later, you will receive word on your order. The three units may be legitimate.

Lol, I am sure they carve them from solid blocks of billet aluminum. Grin

At least you understand. Rumor has it is that the board comes from a solid 4 pound block of Steel, not aluminum.
rjk
1ngldh
IMHO: I predict that in this 'run' they will ship like 3 units, the rest will have to be sent out to Taiwan or wherever it was to be machined. 4-6 weeks later, you will receive word on your order. The three units may be legitimate.

Lol, I am sure they carve them from solid blocks of billet aluminum. Grin
Activity: 504
Decent Programmer to boot!
Clearly, I have pre-ordered.  I agree 100% with RandyFolds,  until a product is delivered, it is vaporware(American spelling, after all, didn't we invent vaporware).

I am optimistic to receive my order next week, UPS/Fed-Ex/USPS willing.  I am sure that I'm not the only one who will receive their order, so hopefully, this whole brouhaha will come to a close.

With as long as this thread has been going on, it will have only just begun.
Pages:
Jump to: