Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 2. (Read 146879 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Luke's cgminer temperature code got into cgminer on the 12-Feb but it may not actually work properly yet ...

Oh, it works...you just gotta have faith...
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
Didn't you get the message? You need to go pick up your Singles at their offices.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer
2 more days BFL Singlers. The bounty for the unboxing video WILL EXPIRE at the end of day Friday. 13BTC could be yours!

Does anyone have tracking information, or should i concede?
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I am living in a place with hot climate, expensive rents and high cost of electricity. GPUs at my location are out of the question. FPGAs seem perfect for me. But not with the requirement of 72F.

It's not a requirement.   Sure they'll probably get hot, but so do my GPU's, and they're also noisy, ugly and prone to fan failures.    Sure the fans may eventually fail on the BitForce as well, at which point you go out and buy a new one for a few bucks.  Not quite so easy with a GPU.

Don't stress about the temps.   The forecast where I am is for 30C+ for the next 5 days straight and I'm not even slightly concerned (and there's no aircon in my study).
Not expecting to have them before the temperature drops?

I was the one who brought up the issue about there being no temperature measurement due to the power these things draw.
(and it seems I had to say it a few times before I heard BFL had done anything about it)

Luke's cgminer temperature code got into cgminer on the 12-Feb but it may not actually work properly yet ...

Also remember they have already added a 2nd fan to the singles.

Suggesting that is something others should not care about is like telling someone it's safe to play with polar bears.

Take this post for what it is and don't shove your head up your butt and hide like you usually do - you will need to keep an eye on the temperatures since they are already quite high
... ... also if anything goes wrong with the FPGA, that will mean returning it and getting it repaired or replaced ... ...
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
I am living in a place with hot climate, expensive rents and high cost of electricity. GPUs at my location are out of the question. FPGAs seem perfect for me. But not with the requirement of 72F. At least not without some adjustments.

Does that make sense to you now? Imagine the south of Florida during the peak of the summer, but further away and hotter for a much longer part of the year.

So to answer your question, it may not have been mentioned directly in this thread but the advantages are clearly:

- FPGAs are smaller
- FPGAs are producing less heat
- FPGAs consume less power
- FPGAs don't require as much cooling
- FPGAs aren't as noisy
- FPGAs don't need as many big noisy hot power supplies
- etc

If not that, what would you say are the advantages of FPGA miners?

Not all FPGA are created equal.

An HD 5970 can get 2.5 MH/W
An HD 7970 can get 3.0 MH/W
An underclocked/undervolted 5970/7970 can get up to 5.0 MH/W (i.e. 5970 @ 0.7V 525/180 w/ 40% fan).
Spartan-6 based FPGA gets 22MH/W
A 28nm FPGA based design should be ~40MH/W (estimate)
A 28nm SASIC based design should be ~100MH/W (estimate)

Inaba long term testing put BFL running at 700 MH/S using 90W.  700/90 = 7.8 MH/W.

Cooling requirements, noise, and power consumption are directly related to efficiency (MH/W).

Given the list above do you think its power, noise, and cooling requirements will be closer to other FPGAs or closer to GPU farm?

Activity: 350
I am living in a place with hot climate, expensive rents and high cost of electricity. GPUs at my location are out of the question. FPGAs seem perfect for me. But not with the requirement of 72F.

It's not a requirement.   Sure they'll probably get hot, but so do my GPU's, and they're also noisy, ugly and prone to fan failures.    Sure the fans may eventually fail on the BitForce as well, at which point you go out and buy a new one for a few bucks.  Not quite so easy with a GPU.

Don't stress about the temps.   The forecast where I am is for 30C+ for the next 5 days straight and I'm not even slightly concerned (and there's no aircon in my study).
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Well, I'm not sure how much BFL wants me to reveal with regards to what's in the works and what I saw at the 'labs.  I will say that something to fit your bill is likely in the works, Antirack both going forward and possibly as a retrofit for current hardware.  There is a lot of room to tweak on the current design, both physical and firmware wise, so I expect a few revisions to the hardware and firmware design to yield a significantly superior product to what they have now.
Activity: 489
Immersionist
I am living in a place with hot climate, expensive rents and high cost of electricity. GPUs at my location are out of the question. FPGAs seem perfect for me. But not with the requirement of 72F. At least not without some adjustments.

Does that make sense to you now? Imagine the south of Florida during the peak of the summer, but further away and hotter for a much longer part of the year.

So to answer your question, it may not have been mentioned directly in this thread but the advantages are clearly:

- FPGAs are smaller
- FPGAs are producing less heat
- FPGAs consume less power
- FPGAs don't require as much cooling
- FPGAs aren't as noisy
- FPGAs don't need as many big noisy hot power supplies
- etc

If not that, what would you say are the advantages of FPGA miners?
legendary
Yeah, it also defeats the purpose of using a tire iron to straighten out wrinkles in your clothes. 

Do you feel that the above sentence makes no sense?  You would be right.  Where did you ever get the impression anything in these 200 pages of threads said anything about using FPGAs in hot climates as being the purpose of FPGAs?

Just curious...

Activity: 489
Immersionist
72F is the desired "room temp"

LOL, that kind of defeats the point of using FPGA instead of GPU's in hot climates, doesn't it? But it's probably easier to keep a small room air conditioned with a few singles mining away compared to a few PC's with GPUs. Eats into power consumption nevertheless.

legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198
This is not OK.
Inaba:

When you picked up the new single, was it in a sealed box or was it just swapped out from open stock?

Does the box include a CD for driver(s)?

Is there an instruction manual?

Did they meet you outside the office or did you see their reception area?

When you were there, did you see any other singles in boxes awaiting shipping?

Is the new single another Rev 1 unit or a Rev 2?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.761728
uck
Activity: 94
Merit: 10

Inaba:

When you picked up the new single, was it in a sealed box or was it just swapped out from open stock?

Does the box include a CD for driver(s)?

Is there an instruction manual?

Did they meet you outside the office or did you see their reception area?

When you were there, did you see any other singles in boxes awaiting shipping?

Is the new single another Rev 1 unit or a Rev 2?
legendary
legendary
Activity: 2044
Yes, I just got back from BFL's office with a new unit, PSU and firmware. 

I've moved the unit, but my USB cable is too short, so I have to get one from the house to move the unit to where I want it. I did move it a bit to a cooler location, so we'll see if that solves the throttling issue for tonight.

That will be great to see (the cooler location).
legendary
Yes, I just got back from BFL's office with a new unit, PSU and firmware. 

I've moved the unit, but my USB cable is too short, so I have to get one from the house to move the unit to where I want it. I did move it a bit to a cooler location, so we'll see if that solves the throttling issue for tonight.
legendary
Activity: 2044
https://eclipsemc.com/mw.php?key=196e69b1afe10927460b22a8de1c0d

It has been having issues most of the day.....

You moving it around again, Inaba? 
vip
Activity: 574
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
Alright, where are the tracking numbers today? I'm getting nervous... I may actually lose this bet, unbelievable!  Shocked

Coming soon!
Activity: 616
Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer
Alright, where are the tracking numbers today? I'm getting nervous... I may actually lose this bet, unbelievable!  Shocked
Activity: 350
In other news, Who is going to collect that 13 BTC bounty? I thought we'd have something for sure this last weekend.

To collect, we'll need a tracking number posted into this forum AND an un-boxing video.
I dunno how much info can be gleaned from a tracking number, but is it OK to PM it to a mod, who can then post and say it's legit? For 13 BTC, I would do that and an unboxing + setup video, if I ever get a tracking number (and a single) in the first place. Roll Eyes

The deadline is end of day Friday (PST). There were whispers in the #bitcoin chatroom that someone had received a device on Sunday, but I haven't heard anything since.

A little birdie said my first single would be flying out to me tomorrow.  Grin  Grin  Grin

Yeah, mine is close as well but I imagine you live a lot closer than I do so you'll most likely get it first.   Get that video done (I don't care which one of us get the bounty as long as it comes from Goat, hehe) Cheesy
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
it's a good story though ... please tell me more ... perhaps with some more adjustments, you could get the power consumption down to under 10 watts ... it's easy to spew words on here ... a little more challenging to actually prove your claims
Pages:
Jump to: