Pages:
Author

Topic: Acorn M.2 FPGA based GPU Accelerator - page 2. (Read 73496 times)

Activity: 69
Merit: 1
December 08, 2019, 01:51:08 PM
Does anyone like myself who has never used their acorns and has been denied a refund have any plans on how to recoup their losses? Is anyone pursuing legal action? Are you all getting coupons and ordering risers before the rebate period ends? If you’d rather not post publicly you can email me at [email protected].

great burner account, ckb has been great on acorns, the coupons worked well. Good luck with ur scam to get people to email you.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
December 06, 2019, 12:27:26 PM
Does anyone like myself who has never used their acorns and has been denied a refund have any plans on how to recoup their losses? Is anyone pursuing legal action? Are you all getting coupons and ordering risers before the rebate period ends? If you’d rather not post publicly you can email me at [email protected].
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
November 18, 2019, 10:33:10 PM
Yup to most of that. I in no way, shape, or form will accept any of their deflection as to why they 'can't' deliver. I don't see GPUH going out of his way to actively look for developers. He half ass offered (not asked) to pay developers for their code, which was buried in chat. Never was pinned. Never made it to an announcement page. They don't even have any presence on BCT, one of the biggest resources for crypto development. It's not on their website that they're actively recruiting for development opportunities. It's like they're too proud to point out they need help.

At no point did it ever outwardly seem like they were asking for help and I haven't seen them formally even ask for it. Besides 'oh we could use some more developers' and literally everything burning down around them because of lack of software, which you're aware of if you purchased their hardware. Their current strategy for this is seemingly just to 'sell more hardware' to people who don't want it because they don't make it useful.

Currently we're on month two after release of FKs and still don't have meaningful bitstreams for them. I bought in for $30k worth of FKs and it's like they just expected me to disappear. Talk about things that are 'on the way', the same talk we received before FKs were released and the same talk we had with Acorns. This is just gross mismanagement and any time you point this out on discord it's met with either excuses or 'oh god the trolls are out again, why wont the mods do anything!??!'. Don't get me wrong, there is most definitely legitimate excuses, and there are also options to deal with those 'problems', like hiring freelance developers.

The crazy thing is, while you can talk about litigation and how GPUH talks about 'having to be hands off' with development of some things, that is absolute BS. He 100% can help someone without ever making it known that he's doing so. Either through a trusted source or literally just making a new username to contribute work.

That aside, if a person in the community which knows very little about actual bitstream programming can hire a developer and have something worked on, even if it never reached a very lucrative state because he didn't have the expertise to know what to request, they definitely can do the same thing. GPUH supposedly offered to pay for third party development, but Matt, the person who commissioned the work never got reimbursed for any of it. So more words without any bearing. The only way this all can be described is as hubris.

As far as being labeled a scam, which you're trying to wiggle around because it's a big word? They never delivered on their promised hashrates, let alone even working GPU assist, so it very much is a scam. Acorns are borderline worthless and they just keep selling them hoping people in the community will feed them money for basically nothing.

Quoted because i think the bolded needs to be just that, bolded. Smiley
Nice post.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1024
November 18, 2019, 04:34:06 AM
His entire post is victim shaming and hindsight common sense, nothing to reply to there, so I deleted my one sentence reply of just that. Nor is that my precedent anyway, hence why there are entire conversations of me talking with myself. Glad you're on topic though. roflmaobbqlolercopter

November 17, 2019, 11:13:20 PM
typical Masneb/Bensam with the post then delete lol
legendary
Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011
Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks
November 17, 2019, 08:56:32 AM
Yup to most of that. I in no way, shape, or form will accept any of their deflection as to why they 'can't' deliver. I don't see GPUH going out of his way to actively look for developers. He half ass offered (not asked) to pay developers for their code, which was buried in chat. Never was pinned. Never made it to an announcement page. They don't even have any presence on BCT, one of the biggest resources for crypto development. It's not on their website that they're actively recruiting for development opportunities. It's like they're too proud to point out they need help.

At no point did it ever outwardly seem like they were asking for help and I haven't seen them formally even ask for it. Besides 'oh we could use some more developers' and literally everything burning down around them because of lack of software, which you're aware of if you purchased their hardware. Their current strategy for this is seemingly just to 'sell more hardware' to people who don't want it because they don't make it useful.

Currently we're on month two after release of FKs and still don't have meaningful bitstreams for them. I bought in for $30k worth of FKs and it's like they just expected me to disappear. Talk about things that are 'on the way', the same talk we received before FKs were released and the same talk we had with Acorns. This is just gross mismanagement and any time you point this out on discord it's met with either excuses or 'oh god the trolls are out again, why wont the mods do anything!??!'. Don't get me wrong, there is most definitely legitimate excuses, and there are also options to deal with those 'problems', like hiring freelance developers.

The crazy thing is, while you can talk about litigation and how GPUH talks about 'having to be hands off' with development of some things, that is absolute BS. He 100% can help someone without ever making it known that he's doing so. Either through a trusted source or literally just making a new username to contribute work.

That aside, if a person in the community which knows very little about actual bitstream programming can hire a developer and have something worked on, even if it never reached a very lucrative state because he didn't have the expertise to know what to request, they definitely can do the same thing. GPUH supposedly offered to pay for third party development, but Matt, the person who commissioned the work never got reimbursed for any of it. So more words without any bearing. The only way this all can be described is as hubris.

As far as being labeled a scam, which you're trying to wiggle around because it's a big word? They never delivered on their promised hashrates, let alone even working GPU assist, so it very much is a scam. Acorns are borderline worthless and they just keep selling them hoping people in the community will feed them money for basically nothing.

I’m trying to say this without being harsh. But I think is impossible.  You state full well that you were aware of the fiasco with the acorns.  Knowing all that and no software you still dumped 30k$ on some more bs from them.  If the community(that includes you) keeps feeding them money then why should they stop?   Power comes in your dollar.  Reinforcing bad behavior is what has set bitcoin back the last ten years.  Bad actors using it to scam thousands of people.  They want it to moon but they are the exact reason it won’t lol.  It’s a sad state to be in.  Wish you the best of luck.  Best better hire a lawyer and be able to show where you got the 30k$.  Otherwise you don’t have a leg to stand on. 

BR
Doug
legendary
November 16, 2019, 11:31:24 PM

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
November 16, 2019, 08:41:57 AM
1st let me say im about 6 grand USD in the hole with my bcu, fk and acorns.

that being said, they actually do have "working products" but the software is sorely lacking. the bcu, fk, and acorns i have all run at a very slight profit. maybe in 6 years ill break even. maybe. unless those higher powered bitstreams that get promised finally get here.

but scammers? i wouldnt go that far (but there may be facts im unaware of). i knew the risks and took it. so far its been a loss. oh well. thats on me.

It doesn't matter if you profited or not. There are tons of scams where people profited. The question is did they provide what they promised? That is pretty cut and dry.

Can anyone link me to a functioning GPU acceleration product?

At what point do you say "they lied"?

oh there were lies involved.. but from whom? kristy (ohgodagirl) seems (at least from my pov) to be the one that lied, and others (people and companies) that believed her and made promises based on her lies got burned big. could this have been handled better? sure but with lawyers involved we wont know till its over.

so was the whole acorn thing a scam? on sqrls part, i dont think so, just a lot of naivety. others opinions vary of course. but a scam to me is.. well BFL was a scam from the start, even with shipping products. scam was the very foundation of BFL. i cant bring myself to put sqrl in that category. time may change my mind however.

anyway, sqrl does tend to have ambitious launch schedules. and missed deadlines are a running joke that long ago stopped being funny. sqrl thought there would be a lot more devs cooperating on bitstreams. on that they were wrong, lot of devs doing their own thing, so lots of reinventing the wheel. slows things down considerably.

as for the original purpose of acorns, helping gpus, that window of opportunity is past. and yes, that sucks. it may even of worked if gpu acceleration code had been ready when the acorns were released.. who knows?

but now, acorns are a curiosity. that may find uses down the road, possibly unrelated to mining. hope so, they are too small to make proper door stops.

The hardware is there, but the software definitely is not and it seems like they're always dead set on biting off more then they can chew then not only getting blowback from that when it falls through, but all existing customers suffer because of it.

very true. every missed deadline on their part hurt the bottom line on every customer. i bought early and watched my money more or less evaporate as the missed deadlines accumulated.

I was very active on the discord and one of the things I mentioned close to a year ago is the software and kept talking about software and bitstreams as it seemed like the weak link. Here we are, still lacking software (bitstreams). And while it's fine and dandy to gloat about 'how good it will be' and 'how everyone will want one', that's not the reality that currently exists. If you're a larger farm with private developers you're making bank off of this. Most of us that helped crowd source this are not.

yeah i bough acorns pretty much as soon as they came out. and i sure havent made bank on acorns. basically i watched my money go seemingly everywhere but the actual code needed to make it useful.

there is a dev or two on discord that are playing with acorn/gpu accelerations but its private devs, not associated with sqrl. may be wrong on that though.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
November 16, 2019, 06:44:08 AM
Well lets see, the Title of this thread is...

Acorn M.2 FPGA based GPU Accelerator

and the Question really is, Are they Accelerating GPU's???

Apparently the answer is NO.

Therefore they are scammers.

Exactly. Scammers as they are.
legendary
November 10, 2019, 12:07:19 AM
Yes, the current tactic with newer ASICs is bait and switch with performance numbers and efficiency gains. Then they're marked off as 'still being profitable', when that wasn't the original investment nor is it nearly the same thing. Strong is currently doing this with all it's products. With Acorns they attempted to remedy this with coupons and refunds (to a certain extent), that's why I asked if that same thing applied to FKs and I was met with a strongly worded 'why would you ever ask that?!?!'.

The hardware is there, but the software definitely is not and it seems like they're always dead set on biting off more then they can chew then not only getting blowback from that when it falls through, but all existing customers suffer because of it.

I was very active on the discord and one of the things I mentioned close to a year ago is the software and kept talking about software and bitstreams as it seemed like the weak link. Here we are, still lacking software (bitstreams). And while it's fine and dandy to gloat about 'how good it will be' and 'how everyone will want one', that's not the reality that currently exists. If you're a larger farm with private developers you're making bank off of this. Most of us that helped crowd source this are not.
legendary
November 09, 2019, 11:01:19 PM
What a joke!!! Almost one and a half year later and still no working product.

that being said, they actually do have "working products" but the software is sorely lacking. the bcu, fk, and acorns i have all run at a very slight profit. maybe in 6 years ill break even. maybe. unless those higher powered bitstreams that get promised finally get here.

but scammers? i wouldnt go that far (but there may be facts im unaware of). i knew the risks and took it. so far its been a loss. oh well. thats on me.

It doesn't matter if you profited or not. There are tons of scams where people profited. The question is did they provide what they promised? That is pretty cut and dry.

Can anyone link me to a functioning GPU acceleration product?

At what point do you say "they lied"?
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
November 09, 2019, 10:42:05 AM

legendary
Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011
Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks
November 09, 2019, 08:05:36 AM

Well for that matter btc over 10 years and we still don’t have anything much more than what it started with. Just more “influencers” pushing the hype to keep prices high.  It’s really come full circle to what btc was supposed to be about.  It’s funny how this system purported to upend the financial sector is catering and pandering to their every will.  Other than the blockchain i find btc being a store of value naive and just plain foolish!   System full of scammers.  And the ones who aren’t don’t have the means to do what’s right.  Guess that’s why they don’t have the means. Their honest. 

BR
Activity: 230
November 09, 2019, 12:23:39 AM

legendary
November 08, 2019, 08:26:32 PM
November 08, 2019, 08:10:03 PM
This isn't a hobby, it's a job, much like many people here. They don't post daily. The support does. They didn't offer any meaningful updates on their products for roughly a month and started again yesterday. If you mean this is FUD as the Acorns have working GPU assist or even have a meaningful solo miner, feel free to prove me wrong (I and a bunch of people would be interested in that) or FKs are earning more then $.5/d, I would also be interested in that as would a lot of other people. No? Okay.

It's weird how you can simply disprove what someone says by putting into context the already available facts.

As far as the 25% discount goes. I was a early adopter, I purchased a month and a half ago. During that time all that's been made available was a $.5/d miner, despite other algos talked about prior to launch and things just on the horizon (and I know another was available prior to launch, which wasn't released). The price was then reduced by 25%, for a 'sale' or otherwise (which is still going on). They gave out coupons for the Acorns to make users feel as though they weren't 'ripped off', yet that no longer applies to FKs and I can't be bitter about donating $500 per unit to their company and getting nothing in return for it.

In case you guys haven't figured it out yet, their company has a small very strong following and any sort of negativity towards their company is met by zealots (regardless of the fact they neither make purchases in any amount or the company delivers). Luckily BCT isn't related to the discord and what happens here is beyond the reach of their coercion and dramatic ultimatums.

Anything here can be verified by joining the discord link which I already freely gave.

It sure can and we will point them to the correct information, not the BS you spread continuously. "yet that no longer applies to FKs and I can't be bitter about donating $500 per unit to their company for the honor of owning a paperweight." acorn coupons can still be used, again with making shit up as usual
legendary
November 08, 2019, 07:59:38 PM
This isn't a hobby, it's a job, much like many people here. They don't post daily. The support does. They didn't offer any meaningful updates on their products for roughly a month and started again yesterday. If you mean this is FUD as the Acorns have working GPU assist or even have a meaningful solo miner, feel free to prove me wrong (I and a bunch of people would be interested in that) or FKs are earning more then $.5/d, I would also be interested in that as would a lot of other people. No? Okay.

It's weird how you can simply disprove what someone says by putting into context the already available facts.

As far as the 25% discount goes. I was a early adopter, I purchased a month and a half ago. During that time all that's been made available was a $.5/d miner, despite other algos talked about prior to launch and things just on the horizon (and I know another was available prior to launch, which wasn't released). The price was then reduced by 25%, for a 'sale' or otherwise (which is still going on). They gave out coupons for the Acorns to make users feel as though they weren't 'ripped off', yet that no longer applies to FKs and I can't be bitter about donating $500 per unit to their company for the honor of owning a paperweight.

In case you guys haven't figured it out yet, their company has a small very strong following and any sort of negativity towards their company is met by zealots (regardless of the fact they neither make purchases in any amount or the company delivers). Luckily BCT isn't related to the discord and what happens here is beyond the reach of their coercion and dramatic ultimatums.

Anything here can be verified by joining the discord link which I already freely gave.
November 08, 2019, 12:55:04 PM
Yes or in their words 'for developers'. They also have a weird ethos of 'not making money printing machines', which to be honest is quite convoluted. That's why we're all here. You can't fund a million dollar company mass producing fpgas with no real application for those fpgas besides developers (which is essentially hobbyists). I'm sure there is a private developer somewhere making bank off private bitstreams, but for common folk that's not us. We just eat the development cost through empty promises for someone else to profit off of.

I stand corrected, FKs are now $1500, so early adopters myself got screwed out of $500 per unit by buying two months ago. That's a significant amount of money.
I think they credited users the difference if you purchased FKs at 2k, or atleast that was my understanding. I didnt purchase any so you would have to ask someone over on discord or email their support for clarification.

According to support it's a temporary sale price and they aren't offering anything (at least to me). I have a larger order as well, so that might effect things. That would be rather unnerving if some people are getting 25% refunds and others aren't.

Whether or not this is actually happening, I'm not on the receiving end of it and basically was told to fuck off(?). As a FK early adopter more boot to your ass for supporting at launch.

They arent crediting anyone, its a coupon code for a sale. and "and no communication from the development team" they post everyday in the FPGA discord. Glad u got booted out of there Masneb u spread cancerous fud like no other. Do us all a favor and find a different hobby.
legendary
November 07, 2019, 08:20:40 PM
Yes or in their words 'for developers'. They also have a weird ethos of 'not making money printing machines', which to be honest is quite convoluted. That's why we're all here. You can't fund a million dollar company mass producing fpgas with no real application for those fpgas besides developers (which is essentially hobbyists). I'm sure there is a private developer somewhere making bank off private bitstreams, but for common folk that's not us. We just eat the development cost through empty promises for someone else to profit off of.

I stand corrected, FKs are now $1500, so early adopters myself got screwed out of $500 per unit by buying two months ago. That's a significant amount of money.
I think they credited users the difference if you purchased FKs at 2k, or atleast that was my understanding. I didnt purchase any so you would have to ask someone over on discord or email their support for clarification.

According to support it's a temporary sale price and they aren't offering anything (at least to me). I have a larger order as well, so that might effect things. That would be rather unnerving if some people are getting 25% refunds and others aren't.

Whether or not this is actually happening, I'm not on the receiving end of it and basically was told to fuck off(?). As a FK early adopter more boot to your ass for supporting at launch.
Activity: 86
Merit: 3
November 07, 2019, 01:59:13 PM

Pages:
Jump to: