Pages:
Author

Topic: All my money in 1 altcoin - Too risky? - page 73. (Read 7721 times)

Activity: 64
Merit: 0
December 25, 2017, 08:04:40 PM
Hi,
the altocoin market is so variuous and there are dozen of interesting projects that can be supported.

But  i'm a little investor (500$) and i'm seriously thinking to put all my money in only 1 project I think is very good which curretly is in the top 40 of altcoins. I don't want to say the name because my topic wants to be very general: what do you think is the risk  by doing so? Should I invest in 2 or 3 coins instead?

Thanks
There are lot of different altcoins. There are top 10 like BTC, LTC, Eth and so on. It's pretty safe, but you won't gain so much. You can try to invest in altcoins from Top 50 like Dash, Monero, ZCash, Dogecoin, ETN and you will probably gain more.
Activity: 256
Merit: 100
December 25, 2017, 06:24:36 PM
Depends on your risk tolerance.  They say not to bet the farm, and don't put all your eggs in one basket.  But I am a big believer in doing due diligence - meaning, conducting deep research - and then betting big on the one project or two, which have the most going for them.

I do own three alt coins, but I have the lions share of my portfolio in one of them.  This approach has done spectacularly well for me so far.  But, again - I can't stress enough the need to do due diligence when adopting this approach.
Activity: 126
December 25, 2017, 06:15:58 PM
it really depends on what is the alt coin...
if you have one project that you truly believe in and is really good one, its less risky
the only thing you have to do is hold coins in different places to you dont get rekt
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
December 25, 2017, 04:30:34 PM
Hi,
the altocoin market is so variuous and there are dozen of interesting projects that can be supported.

But  i'm a little investor (500$) and i'm seriously thinking to put all my money in only 1 project I think is very good which curretly is in the top 40 of altcoins. I don't want to say the name because my topic wants to be very general: what do you think is the risk  by doing so? Should I invest in 2 or 3 coins instead?

Thanks

Diversification is overrated. Since all legit crypto moves up together.  Most people have opposite problem, they put their money in to many projects and they cant follow them all and miss everything.  Having less then 10 coins is highly advised. But once you are long in crypto that is hard to achieve.
Activity: 212
Merit: 104
December 25, 2017, 02:47:44 PM
It depends on how much money are you going to put in there.. If you only have $10000 and you are going to put i all in there, then you need to be 100% safe that this coin is going to rise, otherwise you are going to lose a lot of money,maybe all the money that you invested in there.
Merit: 0
December 25, 2017, 02:44:03 PM
Maby invest in a few ICOs for a discount.
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1338
December 25, 2017, 02:33:22 PM
Hi,

Thanks
I do not think your strategy is wrong, people advocate for diversifying your investments but that only makes sense if you have a lot of money to invest, if you do not have that much money then it is better to put all your money in a single coin, it is true that you may lose your money, however if the coin you selected skyrockets your earnings are going to be massive.
Activity: 406
BAILOUT
December 25, 2017, 02:31:18 PM
Risky for sure but no need for that, you can find other good coins. Instead you should invest in at least 3 coins, it would be less risky and probably more profitable  Smiley
Activity: 826
Merit: 263
December 25, 2017, 02:26:11 PM
Hi,

Thanks

It is completely risk only. It is not only applies for altcoin. You have to think that bitcoin investment with the all fiat also risk or not. Keep some funds on fiat as well as in multiple crypto currencies. You will be able to make money if the value of crypto currency bumps moreover when you invest on multiple cryptos it balances the price fluctuatations too.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 254
December 25, 2017, 02:24:52 PM
Basic rule of trading or investing: never go all-in on 1 thing (such as 1 altcoin), always diversify your portfolio and spread your risk.
I would invest in some good altcoins with active development teams such as ETH, LTC or XRP.
Activity: 504
Merit: 101
December 25, 2017, 02:07:24 PM
if you want to invest long-term, you simply invest in 1 alt like ethereum and bitcoin or top 20 alt in cmc.
if you want to invest short-term, I think it's better to trade, but remember if you mis-analyze and choose alt, then you will lose.
Activity: 178
December 25, 2017, 01:02:27 PM
Nah, diversification should start if you have 1.000$+ to spend currently...
Its no point throwing a couple of $ in each coin...
around 300$ should be the lowest investment in a coin... that way atleast you make 300$ if it doubles... making 50$, is better of working for it Smiley

It is true, most people who are diversifying $75 or $50 in a few altcoins are pretty dumb, how the fuck are they going to buy fifty bucks of a coin? It is useless,  if the coin goes x2, it will only give you $50 of profit = nothing.

There is nothing dumb here.

If you start small you play small that's it.
Then you learn, earn more and things will get bigger naturally.

I you do otherwise you are exposed to lose everything quickly.

What would be dumb would be going all in and experiencing a massive dump on the coin you bet.
What do you do next, when your balance is reduced to 15% of what you had first?

Diversification is key in order to reduce risks
Activity: 178
December 25, 2017, 12:58:15 PM
It is a big risk to go all in.

How much you have to invest is not really important for that decision, you should always diversify a bit even if you start with $50.

I suggest you to split in 3, for something a bit safe $200 in BTC then $150 in 2 others projects.

or you can try something like this :

$200 in BTC
$150 in STRAT
$75 in an other project
$75 in an other project

around 300$ should be the lowest investment in a coin... that way atleast you make 300$ if it doubles... making 50$, is better of working for it Smiley

There is no minimum needed to diversify, it is simply a good practice to have.

Whatever is your budget you should better play things the best way possible.
Activity: 63
Merit: 10
December 25, 2017, 12:52:34 PM
I think you already know the answer to your question. Of course it is "too" risky but it is still your own decision and money.
Activity: 395
December 25, 2017, 12:50:40 PM
never put your money in one basket,,
better you split your funds, to minimize the risk my friend
December 25, 2017, 12:48:50 PM

It is true, most people who are diversifying $75 or $50 in a few altcoins are pretty dumb, how the fuck are they going to buy fifty bucks of a coin? It is useless,  if the coin goes x2, it will only give you $50 of profit = nothing.

Activity: 144
Merit: 10
December 25, 2017, 12:45:11 PM
It is a big risk to go all in.

How much you have to invest is not really important for that decision, you should always diversify a bit even if you start with $50.

I suggest you to split in 3, for something a bit safe $200 in BTC then $150 in 2 others projects.

or you can try something like this :

$200 in BTC
$150 in STRAT
$75 in an other project
$75 in an other project

Activity: 546
Merit: 251
December 25, 2017, 12:43:53 PM
If you have only $ 500 investment, it makes much sense to invest in a coin. You need to study the graphics well and get the lowest.
Activity: 212
December 25, 2017, 12:40:36 PM
Actually, putting all your budget into 1 coin is the risky gamble. however, your budget is not big now. Moreover, this is the best way to earn money quickly now. So, I would like to suggest you one coin, that is Playkey. Its project provides the platform can all poor gamers around the world can lend its PC to play the strong games. And its ICO succeeded. You should consider carefully before buying.
Activity: 630
Merit: 110
December 25, 2017, 12:30:37 PM
Putting all the money in any single investment is always a gamble.
No matter how good anything looks, there is never a 100% guarantee
of success. So two is always better than one.
Pages:
Jump to: