Author

Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Cash - Pro on-chain scaling - Cheaper fees - page 930. (Read 703509 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Most other coins I've used that forked, you only had to download the blockchain from the point of split. you didn't have to do a full sync, the drawback was you couldn't use the old tokens in the new wallet. the drawback with bitcoin ABC is the entire bitcoin blockchain is a beast. 99 gigs. it's a monster and takes several days to sync a wallet.

Yes, many altcoin developers have taken some old version of Bitcoin Core as a starting point for their own projects.  They've forked this codebase but have not forked Bitcoin's blockchain.

Bitcoin's blockchain is currently 477175 blocks long and 123.4 GB in size:
Code:
user@host:~$ du -c .bitcoin/blocks/blk*
123414136 total

Notice that with full, 8MB blocks, BitcoinCash's blockchain would grow this much by mid-November.  I don't expect BitcoinCash's blocks will be anywhere near full but I think this observation highlights the BitcoinCash philosophy.  Long term, the initial 123.4 GB is but a drop in the bucket.
Activity: 391
Merit: 250
aka ...
ain´t it it better, just to wait a night to sync ?

Shocked
Activity: 56
To avoid a full synch of the bitcoinabc.org wallet can I point it at a copy of the core blockchain?

Surely.  Maybe try:
  • Close both Bitcoin ABC and Bitcoin Core.
  • Locate the "blocks" directory for each implementation.
  • Backup ABC's blocks directory.
  • Copy the contents of Core's blocks directory to ABC's blocks directory
  • Start Bitcoin ABC.

I'm not in a position to try this so I can't be more precise.

Given that Bitcoin ABC is a derivative of Bitcoin Core, I would expect it to be able to handle the situation.  It will probably want to rescan or something but it shouldn't try to download the blockchain it already has.

If it fails then you can recover from the backup and continue syncing.  You could also think about waiting for Bitcoin Unlimited's implementation.
aka ...

Most of miners have already signal support for Segwit. Time to wake up man.

... wait until Blockstream and the USAF-Trolls deny the 2x part of the agreement !

(they promised many times they will do so)

Tongue

time will tell, but be prepared

Wink
Activity: 812
Merit: 251
I-CHAIN - The Revolution of Digital Advertising
aka ...
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
To avoid a full synch of the bitcoinabc.org wallet can I point it at a copy of the core blockchain?

why do you even need the entire blockchain, anything before the fork is irrelevant, it's old chain, so why not just truncate the chain and make it a smaller download?

Thanks but when I start the ABC wallet it starts synching from 8 years ago.  I don't know how to truncate a chain so can I use a copy of the current core chain?
Activity: 812
Merit: 251
I-CHAIN - The Revolution of Digital Advertising
In future this coin will die as there is only one Bitcoin .

Still all the best .

You are right - there is only one Bitcoin following Satothies Whitepaper,

and this is THIS coin.

... the miners will decide, and the investors will follow.

Good luck with your Blockstream Segwit Altcoin.

Grin

P.S. if you want to be sure you get your BCC (I guess this will change to BTC), put your BTC into paper wallet before the 30th of July !

You tell me which miners are going to support this shitcoin. All miners are signalling Segwit, which will be activated soon. you are a fool to believe otherwise.

Dont be delusional..
aka ...

Most of miners have already signal support for Segwit. Time to wake up man.

... wait until Blockstream and the USAF-Trolls deny the 2x part of the agreement !

(they promised many times they will do so)

Tongue
Activity: 490
Saved you from a scam? Send me some BTC!

Still all the best .

and this is THIS coin.

Grin

P.S. if you want to be sure you get your BCC (I guess this will change to BTC), put your BTC into paper wallet before the 30th of July !

Errrr, no. The miners try to bully, cheat and manipulate the system. Just like a government. Well, you're about to find out that Jihan, for all his studies in psychology, has got this one badly wrong. Price is immaterial, fat cats and their greedy cartels can jog on.

Think of it as a long overdue Brexit for Bitcoin. How did that pan out for the corrupt elites?

Enjoy the dumpfest.

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

and this is THIS coin.

Grin

Most of miners have already signaled support for Segwit. Time to wake up man.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

i will believe that when i see it. investors are spread across the world. miners are huddled around a few dams in rural china. no one cares what they want or think nor should they. all they should do is mine what everyone else is using.
aka ...

Still all the best .

and this is THIS coin.

Grin

Activity: 42
When is the ElectrumCash wallet going to be ready and will I be able to use alongside my regular Electrum wallet?

Check this http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/hardfork.html
Activity: 107
I've got amazing powers of observation
When is the ElectrumCash wallet going to be ready and will I be able to use alongside my regular Electrum wallet?
Activity: 114
Is there any chance for our private keys getting stolen when we import them in a possible rogue BitcoinABC wallet?

Yes. And there is a chance for losing your BTC due to replay attacks.
Although it uses the Bitcoin ABC software, Bitcoin Cash seems a bit shady to me.

Most other coins I've used that forked, you only had to download the blockchain from the point of split. you didn't have to do a full sync, the drawback was you couldn't use the old tokens in the new wallet. the drawback with bitcoin ABC is the entire bitcoin blockchain is a beast. 99 gigs. it's a monster and takes several days to sync a wallet. the devs haven't devised a really fast way to sync a wallet. what they're doing now is like putting lipstick on a pig, it doesn't address the problem of painfully slow syncing. there's also another problem, alot of ISP's won't let you do that big of a download. to get around that you have to truncate the chain.
Activity: 114

why do you even need the entire blockchain, anything before the fork is irrelevant, it's old chain, so why not just truncate the chain and make it a smaller download?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Cryptocurrency has a reverse Schelling poinit because network effect assumes infinite scalability.  It's inevitable people either leave the main chain or fork off from it to avoid usury fees.  The most likely outcome is death by dilution if there's no gigantic scaling solution (I don't consider LN the fix for this problem).
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
Activity: 3
Is there any chance for our private keys getting stolen when we import them in a possible rogue BitcoinABC wallet?

Yes. And there is a chance for losing your BTC due to replay attacks.
Although it uses the Bitcoin ABC software, Bitcoin Cash seems a bit shady to me.

We know CSW needs Bitcoins, which is the reason to pretend to be Satoshi. It would be a great plan to steal a lot of Bitcoins by releasing a malware... Be careful!
Jump to: