Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] breadwallet, first bitcoin network client for iOS, first BIP32 SPV client - page 3. (Read 29473 times)

Activity: 394
Merit: 250
For the watch
I've got pretty fast internet (75mbps) and despite this rescanning the blockchain is taking hours. Any fix for this?

Is your app updated? Rescanning time shouldn't take that long with the most recent versions (it never took me that much with any version, but the most recent ones improved sync time). If it is, maybe try to reinstall it.

How many addresses do you have? The more you have, the more it takes to rescan...
I've sent and received quite a lot so too many addresses could be the case. Any way I can reset it without deleting the wallet?
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009
Manually selecting fees is quite difficult and error prone and is something that well designed wallet software should handle for you. If Bitcoin is to compete with other payment methods like credit cards, it has to just work without requiring users to understand things like fee selection and confirmations.

True, and that's pretty much what this wall does and pretty well Smiley
Activity: 73
Merit: 10
Manually selecting fees is quite difficult and error prone and is something that well designed wallet software should handle for you. If Bitcoin is to compete with other payment methods like credit cards, it has to just work without requiring users to understand things like fee selection and confirmations.
legendary
I've got pretty fast internet (75mbps) and despite this rescanning the blockchain is taking hours. Any fix for this?

Is your app updated? Rescanning time shouldn't take that long with the most recent versions (it never took me that much with any version, but the most recent ones improved sync time). If it is, maybe try to reinstall it.

How many addresses do you have? The more you have, the more it takes to rescan...
Activity: 394
Merit: 250
For the watch
legendary
Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001
Seems another posted about a similar problem, see thread Unverified transaction in BREADWALLET.

For me, seems to be working good now.  I'm happy to report no recent reinstalls since my last post.  
legendary
I'm trying to restore my breadwallet wallet on MultiBit HD, since it's now compatible... But I'm having some issues. MultiBit asks for a "timestamp". What timestamp should it be?

I assume that's referring to the timestamp the wallet was created. You can specify any date date older than that and it will only affect the initial syncing time.

It is referring to that, but the format that MultiBit HD expects isn't at all obvious.

A seed timestamp is the number of days elapsed since Bitcoin genesis block with a modulo 97 checksum appended.
This gives a short representation that avoids user error during input and works in all locales.

Here's a short Python one line script which creates such a timestamp, but be sure to estimate your wallet creation date on the older side when asked for it.

Code:
python -c "from datetime import *;r=lambda s:int(raw_input(s));d=((date(r('Year: '),r('Month: '),r('Day: '))-date(2009,1,3))).days;print '{}/{}'.format(d,d%97)"

If you don't already have Python installed, just visit here and press the run button: http://repl.it/mHe

It's been a love hate relationship with Breadwallet and unconfirmed transactions.    This helped me get my Breadwallet into Multibit.

Seems like transactions get stuck unconfirmed, and I end up having to remove and reinstall the iOS App, for things to work again.  Now that I have Multibit as a backup, at least now I won't have to worry about my coins getting stuck.

Pretty odd that you're all having such issues, never seen them. Maybe a hidden bug? Pretty sure our dev is on it...

To import a seed to MultiBit one just has to install MultiBit, import the seed and put any timestamp on it... You'll see your funds there. You only need a precise timestamp if you need to sign a message from an old address, as far as I've seen.
legendary
Did you try rescanning the blockchain?  When you're checking the confirmation count in the side area of the app, you can click the button at the bottom I think to "rescan" the blockchain... this gives more updated information with your transaction.  I don't think it's really necessary to delete the app and reinstall it again, I don't think.

But yeah, the connectivity from Bread to Multibit is a very nice feature that I might look more into later in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions, but yes I've tried the rescan of the blockchain.  I'm having similar problem described here by MarketNeutral.  When I try to rescan I end up with a rejected transaction error.

Only difference for me, is that uninstalling and reinstalling the App fixes the problem after resync of the blockchain.  Incoming transactions is fine, and outgoing does hit the blockchain but Breadwallet shows "unconfirmed" for outgoing transactions with 0/3 peers, and therefore thinks I still have the coins in my wallet.

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004
I'm trying to restore my breadwallet wallet on MultiBit HD, since it's now compatible... But I'm having some issues. MultiBit asks for a "timestamp". What timestamp should it be?

I assume that's referring to the timestamp the wallet was created. You can specify any date date older than that and it will only affect the initial syncing time.

It is referring to that, but the format that MultiBit HD expects isn't at all obvious.

A seed timestamp is the number of days elapsed since Bitcoin genesis block with a modulo 97 checksum appended.
This gives a short representation that avoids user error during input and works in all locales.

Here's a short Python one line script which creates such a timestamp, but be sure to estimate your wallet creation date on the older side when asked for it.

Code:
python -c "from datetime import *;r=lambda s:int(raw_input(s));d=((date(r('Year: '),r('Month: '),r('Day: '))-date(2009,1,3))).days;print '{}/{}'.format(d,d%97)"

If you don't already have Python installed, just visit here and press the run button: http://repl.it/mHe

It's been a love hate relationship with Breadwallet and unconfirmed transactions.    This helped me get my Breadwallet into Multibit.

Seems like transactions get stuck unconfirmed, and I end up having to remove and reinstall the iOS App, for things to work again.  Now that I have Multibit as a backup, at least now I won't have to worry about my coins getting stuck.

Did you try rescanning the blockchain?  When you're checking the confirmation count in the side area of the app, you can click the button at the bottom I think to "rescan" the blockchain... this gives more updated information with your transaction.  I don't think it's really necessary to delete the app and reinstall it again, I don't think.

But yeah, the connectivity from Bread to Multibit is a very nice feature that I might look more into later in the future.
legendary

Code:

It's been a love hate relationship with Breadwallet and unconfirmed transactions.    This helped me get my Breadwallet into Multibit.

Seems like transactions get stuck unconfirmed, and I end up having to remove and reinstall the iOS App, for things to work again.  Now that I have Multibit as a backup, at least now I won't have to worry about my coins getting stuck.
legendary
Now I'm curious, as I haven't seen this behavior in many breadwallet installs I've seen, was this due to a bug in the code? A specific issue from a certain iOS device? What caused MarketNeutral's issues? Smiley
Activity: 406
Merit: 252
Good point!
I neglected to mention that at one point I did indeed see a "double spend" error; however, that transaction was cancelled. Or at least supposedly cancelled.

I don't use breadwallet much, but it's nice to have on hand to show people how bitcoin can be integrated into the ubiquitous iOS environment.
I'm still a Bitcoin Core user at heart, and don't bother much with small amounts, so it's very interesting to see how other wallets, especially minimalist thin clients like breadwallet, may be used in day-to-day transactions.
Solid app that fills a much-needed role.

This issue aside, you should never use desktop wallets to hold more than pocket change unless you have a strong security background and can keep your system hardened against malware.

Most users should only be holding keys on systems that are secure by default - systems that employ hardware encryption and are malware hardened with techniques like enforced code signatures and app sandboxing. This is why we chose iOS as the first platform for breadwallet. It's widely recognized as the most secure popular computing platform.
Great point about large amounts on desktop machines and hardware encryption. Worth reminding everyone the crucial importance of bitcoin security.
Maybe I'll get a trezor for christmas.
Rest assured my big private keys are stored offline in a safe place.

And thank you for the ultra-fast response to my support ticket. Amazing.
Activity: 115
Merit: 19
Good point!
I neglected to mention that at one point I did indeed see a "double spend" error; however, that transaction was cancelled. Or at least supposedly cancelled.

I don't use breadwallet much, but it's nice to have on hand to show people how bitcoin can be integrated into the ubiquitous iOS environment.
I'm still a Bitcoin Core user at heart, and don't bother much with small amounts, so it's very interesting to see how other wallets, especially minimalist thin clients like breadwallet, may be used in day-to-day transactions.

This issue aside, you should never use desktop wallets to hold more than pocket change unless you have a strong security background and can keep your system hardened against malware.

Most users should only be holding keys on systems that are secure by default - systems that employ hardware encryption and are malware hardened with techniques like enforced code signatures and app sandboxing. This is why we chose iOS as the first platform for breadwallet. It's widely recognized as the most secure popular computing platform.
I've been trying to send BTC from breadwallet for over 2 days now. No luck. I'm running the latest version of iOS with the latest version of breadwallet.
The transaction is stuck as "unverified" although initially it was shown as verified. Huh
I've rescanned the blockchain more times than I can remember.
I've reinstalled the breadwallet using the backup pass phrase.
I reinstalled the same breadwallet on 2 other iOS devices.
I've tried different wifi connections. I've tried using data connection.
I've let the transaction time out, then redo it, but it still won't verify and confirm.
I've made numerous successful transactions in the past using this particular wallet. But they were all much smaller amounts.

What typically happens is that it says "seen by 0 of 3 peers" or "seen by 1 of 3 peers" but that's where it stalls. The transaction never confirms.
The amount of BTC I'm attempting to send is about $300 worth. Not a lot, but not insignificant.
The fee is about $0.05 worth, which should be fine.
Any idea why this transaction isn't confirming? I suspect it's a problem with breadwallet's connection to the bitcoin network.
Any tips on retrieving my bitcoin?

Really sorry you're having an issue. Please contact [email protected] and we will take care of you!
Good point!

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'll be in touch right away.
I've been trying to send BTC from breadwallet for over 2 days now. No luck. I'm running the latest version of iOS with the latest version of breadwallet.
The transaction is stuck as "unverified" although initially it was shown as verified. Huh
I've let the transaction time out, then redo it, but it still won't verify and confirm.
I've made numerous successful transactions in the past using this particular wallet. But they were all much smaller amounts.

What typically happens is that it says "seen by 0 of 3 peers" or "seen by 1 of 3 peers" but that's where it stalls. The transaction never confirms.
The amount of BTC I'm attempting to send is about $300 worth. Not a lot, but not insignificant.
Any idea why this transaction isn't confirming? I suspect it's a problem with breadwallet's connection to the bitcoin network.

Really sorry you're having an issue. Please contact [email protected] and we will take care of you!
legendary

Maybe the issue now is conflicting transactions on network nodes?

Yes. In extreme cases, use your breadwallet seed on MultiBit HD.

Syncing is indeed faster!

Unfortunately, notifications are not working for me... not even badge numbers : /

And a feature request:
on main screen - you can tap on "breadwallet" text or "Lock" icon to display balance (after entering pin or touchID), however on transaction/settings screen only tapping on "Lock" icon works. Would be nice if "breadwallet" text would also be interactive on transaction/settings screen.

Since it connects directly to the Bitcoin network, it can only update the badge when the app does a background network fetch, which only happens every few hours. Make sure you haven't disabled background fetches in the main settings app, and don't kill the app after backgrounding. (Some people do this habitually)
donator
Activity: 674
Merit: 522
Syncing is indeed faster!

Unfortunately, notifications are not working for me... not even badge numbers : /

And a feature request:
on main screen - you can tap on "breadwallet" text or "Lock" icon to display balance (after entering pin or touchID), however on transaction/settings screen only tapping on "Lock" icon works. Would be nice if "breadwallet" text would also be interactive on transaction/settings screen.
Pages:
Jump to: