Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] breadwallet, first bitcoin network client for iOS, first BIP32 SPV client - page 7. (Read 29473 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009
After the latest update, breadwallet makes transactions with tiny fees, like 0.000011 BTC.  Those transactions take hours to confirm.  This may be OK if I send money to a web site, but for a phone wallet it is problematic, I could need to wait for at least the first confirmation in a face-to-face situation.

Never had confirmation issues on breadwallet, but I think it would be cool to implement a custom fee functionality... Smiley
Activity: 547
Merit: 500
Decor in numeris
After the latest update, breadwallet makes transactions with tiny fees, like 0.000011 BTC.  Those transactions take hours to confirm.  This may be OK if I send money to a web site, but for a phone wallet it is problematic, I could need to wait for at least the first confirmation in a face-to-face situation.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
No.

I tried to use my MyCelium passphrase on breadwallet and, although the words worked, the balance was Zero. 
So, it would appear the checksum is valid on the phrase, but appears that bread has a diff offset or something.
This post doesn't answer why, but answers your question in that you can't simply use the phrase from one wallet to another for access to the same addresses.

Mycelium uses BIP44 - the same key structure as Trezor.
Its root node is m/44h/0h/0h

I presume Breadwallet is 'vanilla' BIP32, which has as its root node m/0h

It is a bit like:

The same seed phrase is used, so you can navigate to the exact same junction in a huge city with both apps.
But in one you are looking North, and in the other you are looking West. You see different things.

In MultiBit HD we ended up supporting:
+ Trezor BIP44 wallets ('hard' wallets) where the private keys are on the device
+ BIP32 wallets (MultiBit HD 'soft' wallets) where the private keys are stored, encrypted, on your machine
+ BIP44 wallets (Trezor and Mycelium 'soft' wallets) with private keys stored encrypted locally.

You can actually use the same seed in a MBHD BIP44 soft wallet and Mycelium and you see the same balance on each.
Mycelium doesn't seem to show the sends you make from MBHD (as opposed to the sends you make from Mycelium) but the balance it works out is correct.

If Breadwallet uses vanilla BIP32 then you should be able to have the same seed phrase in a MBHD soft wallet and breadwallet and see the same transactions. I haven't tried this.

We actually show in our 'Wallet dashboard' the exact capabilities of the wallet as it will be a little confusing for people.
All part of the joy that is HD wallets.
Activity: 475
Merit: 252
breadwallet is compatible with Hive-JS (their web interface which stores keys locally in your browser encrypted.) or Hive-iOS.

Hive for Android and Hive for MAC OSX are not HD.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1164
No.

I tried to use my MyCelium passphrase on breadwallet and, although the words worked, the balance was Zero. 
So, it would appear the checksum is valid on the phrase, but appears that bread has a diff offset or something.
This post doesn't answer why, but answers your question in that you can't simply use the phrase from one wallet to another for access to the same addresses.
Activity: 547
Merit: 500
Decor in numeris
I have uninstalled all other bitcoin wallets on my iPhone (only two, to be honest).  Breadwallet is just marginally nicer and easier to use in almost all regards.  Great work.

One question: Is the twelve-word backup phrase compatible with other wallets (in case I lose my iPhone and decide to switch to android, for example).
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009
v0.5 is now live in the app store

new features:

- touch id
- lower bitcoin network fees
- faster syncing
- background network fetching
- receive badge notifications
- many refinements and minor bug fixes

Didn't realize you had a topic for your wallet here.

I've been using almost since launch, your app is amazing, and probably the best iOS Bitcoin wallet, and you just made it epic with this new update! Thank you and keep it up Smiley
Activity: 115
Merit: 19
v0.5 is now live in the app store

new features:

- touch id
- lower bitcoin network fees
- faster syncing
- background network fetching
- receive badge notifications
- many refinements and minor bug fixes

breadwallet.com

breadwallet is the first bitcoin network client for iOS. It connects to the bitcoin network in SPV mode instead of using trusted servers for balance and transaction data. It's designed to be extremely simple, intuitive and safe for non-bitcoin experts. It's also currently the only BIP32 deterministic SPV wallet. Other SPV wallets are based on bitcoinj which doesn't have BIP32 implemented yet, though it's very close.

major features:

- "simplified payment verification" for fast mobile performance (BIP37)
- no servers to get hacked or go down
- single backup phrase that works forever (BIP32/BIP39)
- private keys never leave your device
- import password protected paper wallets (BIP38)
- "payment protocol" payee identity certification (BIP70)
- open source

Pages:
Jump to: