Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] breadwallet, first bitcoin network client for iOS, first BIP32 SPV client - page 6. (Read 29473 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009
Did I understood right? Wallet is saved locally on my phone?

I'm still searching for a good iOS wallet and I'm tired of blockchain wallet. Don't want an online wallet.

The seed stays in your phone, protected by passcode or Touch ID. Transactions are signed in your phone, and the client is an SPV one. I hope this answers your question Smiley This wallet doesn't depend on third parties as much as others, that's why I use it... It's also the easiest one to use, with and interface that's both practical and nicely done.

Since I'm here... Is any update with user controlled fees in the works?
Wed
legendary
Activity: 1231
Merit: 1018
Did I understood right? Wallet is saved locally on my phone?

I'm still searching for a good iOS wallet and I'm tired of blockchain wallet. Don't want an online wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000
Still my go to wallet on iOS though Copay has my attention...
donator
Activity: 674
Merit: 522
Sometimes when I open breadwallet, "wallet amount" is displayed immediately while wallet is still syncing with the network. When syncing is done, "wallet amount" disappears and "breadwallet" text is displayed (normal behavior).

This usually happens if I don't use the app for few days (so it takes a little bit longer to synchronize).

Here is the screenshot:
https://i.imgur.com/IhobMx1.png

breadwallet 0.5.1 / iP5s / iOS 8.3 (12F70)

Thanks.
legendary
I'm trying to restore my breadwallet wallet on MultiBit HD, since it's now compatible... But I'm having some issues. MultiBit asks for a "timestamp". What timestamp should it be?

I assume that's referring to the timestamp the wallet was created. You can specify any date date older than that and it will only affect the initial syncing time.

Thank you Smiley

I'm trying to restore my breadwallet wallet on MultiBit HD, since it's now compatible... But I'm having some issues. MultiBit asks for a "timestamp". What timestamp should it be?

I assume that's referring to the timestamp the wallet was created. You can specify any date date older than that and it will only affect the initial syncing time.

It is referring to that, but the format that MultiBit HD expects isn't at all obvious.

A seed timestamp is the number of days elapsed since Bitcoin genesis block with a modulo 97 checksum appended.
This gives a short representation that avoids user error during input and works in all locales.

Here's a short Python one line script which creates such a timestamp, but be sure to estimate your wallet creation date on the older side when asked for it.

Code:
python -c "from datetime import *;r=lambda s:int(raw_input(s));d=((date(r('Year: '),r('Month: '),r('Day: '))-date(2009,1,3))).days;print '{}/{}'.format(d,d%97)"

If you don't already have Python installed, just visit here and press the run button: http://repl.it/mHe

Thank you! Got it working, this is useful Smiley
Activity: 672
Merit: 504
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

It is referring to that, but the format that MultiBit HD expects isn't at all obvious.

A seed timestamp is the number of days elapsed since Bitcoin genesis block with a modulo 97 checksum appended.
This gives a short representation that avoids user error during input and works in all locales.

Here's a short Python one line script which creates such a timestamp, but be sure to estimate your wallet creation date on the older side when asked for it.

Code:
python -c "from datetime import *;r=lambda s:int(raw_input(s));d=((date(r('Year: '),r('Month: '),r('Day: '))-date(2009,1,3))).days;print '{}/{}'.format(d,d%97)"

If you don't already have Python installed, just visit here and press the run button: http://repl.it/mHe
Activity: 115
Merit: 19

legendary
I noticed that too. Hopefully new release will address this issue.

Few more things: New users are confused about "Touch ID limit". It would be great if there was some text explaining exactly how it works.

Also... It would be nice if transaction history would not be visible until user enters pin or use TouchID.

If you take donations, I'd like to contribute.
Anyways, thanks for developing this great wallet!

The next update bumps fees up slightly to improve confirmation times, also it only shows transactions with fewer than 6 confirms without touchid/pin.

I agree the touch id spending limit is a bit confusing. I'll see if we can add a better explanation after this next update (the current update is already frozen for translation)
donator
Once you sweep a bip38 key, it's no longer "cold storage", and we also want to discourage address reuse. You can always send a portion back by scanning the public address if you want to ignore these concerns, but we don't want to encourage people to do it.

Fair enough!  Although that would be killer feature for me personally i do understand your position completely.

After the latest update, breadwallet makes transactions with tiny fees, like 0.000011 BTC.  Those transactions take hours to confirm.  This may be OK if I send money to a web site, but for a phone wallet it is problematic, I could need to wait for at least the first confirmation in a face-to-face situation.

I noticed that too. Hopefully new release will address this issue.

Few more things: New users are confused about "Touch ID limit". It would be great if there was some text explaining exactly how it works.

Also... It would be nice if transaction history would not be visible until user enters pin or use TouchID.

If you take donations, I'd like to contribute.
Anyways, thanks for developing this great wallet!
Once you sweep a bip38 key, it's no longer "cold storage", and we also want to discourage address reuse. You can always send a portion back by scanning the public address if you want to ignore these concerns, but we don't want to encourage people to do it.
donator
Thanks guys!

Have to tell you that bread wallet just saved me from embarrassment in a shop. I wanted to pay from server-based wallet and BOOM - "cannot connect, please try again later". So luckily bread wallet worked without a problem.

While exploring all the options in bread wallet, I have a feature request.

I love the feature in android version of Mycelium wallet regarding BIP38 import and that is that you are able to choose the amount you'd like to import to mobile wallet. If you don't choose the full amount, change (difference) is automatically sent back to BIP38 paper wallet. I find this feature very neat.

Is there any way to integrate this into bread wallet?
legendary
I need to sign a message from an address created on breadwallet. Seems like neither MultiBit nor Electrum accept seeds from breadwallet... I though all of these clients accepted the same BIP 32 seeds? What do you recommend for this? What client should I use to restore the breadwallet seed and sign my message?

I believe hive is using the same bip32 default wallet structure. We don't recommend typing your recovery phrase into other wallets or devices though. Each new device and wallet increases your exposure to malware and security flaws.

I know it risks my privacy, but I accept the risk Smiley I'll probably just create another seed afterwards.

I need to sign a message from an address created on breadwallet. Seems like neither MultiBit nor Electrum accept seeds from breadwallet... I though all of these clients accepted the same BIP 32 seeds? What do you recommend for this? What client should I use to restore the breadwallet seed and sign my message?

breadwallet is compatible with Hive (mobile and web, not Hive for OS X), but that doesn't help much since Hive can't sign messages.

breadwallet will be compatible with MutliBit HD once MultiBit HD Beta 8 is released (or if you want to compile it yourself), but it is not seed-compatible with Beta 7 due to this bug.

Edited to add: those are the only wallets I know of that are compatible with breadwallet. Electrum 2.x is definitely not seed-compatible with breadwallet (Electrum 2.x has chosen to not use BIP-39).

In general, compatibility between deterministic wallets is a complex issue. There's a compatibility table available here if you'd like more info: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/deterministic-wallet-compatibility-matrix-1000544

Thank you for your reply and your link. I'll try to compile Multibit. I'll report here if I can. If I can't I'll just wait for the next beta Smiley
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

breadwallet is compatible with Hive (mobile and web, not Hive for OS X), but that doesn't help much since Hive can't sign messages.

breadwallet will be compatible with MutliBit HD once MultiBit HD Beta 8 is released (or if you want to compile it yourself), but it is not seed-compatible with Beta 7 due to this bug.

Edited to add: those are the only wallets I know of that are compatible with breadwallet. Electrum 2.x is definitely not seed-compatible with breadwallet (Electrum 2.x has chosen to not use BIP-39).

In general, compatibility between deterministic wallets is a complex issue. There's a compatibility table available here if you'd like more info: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/deterministic-wallet-compatibility-matrix-1000544

I believe hive is using the same bip32 default wallet structure. We don't recommend typing your recovery phrase into other wallets or devices though. Each new device and wallet increases your exposure to malware and security flaws.
legendary
voisine, do you plan on making any kind of Apple Watch implementation of breadwallet? It would be pretty nice to display QR codes on the Watch Smiley

It would be cool to receive on your watch. We'll probably do it if the watch gets a lot of traction.
After the latest update, breadwallet makes transactions with tiny fees, like 0.000011 BTC.  Those transactions take hours to confirm.  This may be OK if I send money to a web site, but for a phone wallet it is problematic, I could need to wait for at least the first confirmation in a face-to-face situation.

We're going to be upping fees slightly in the next update to meet the eligius pool minimums, and also enabling child-pays-for-parent when spending unconfirmed non-change inputs
legendary
voisine, do you plan on making any kind of Apple Watch implementation of breadwallet? It would be pretty nice to display QR codes on the Watch Smiley
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub
breadwallet is compatible with Hive-JS (their web interface which stores keys locally in your browser encrypted.) or Hive-iOS.

Hive for Android and Hive for MAC OSX are not HD.

FYI Hive for Android has been HD for a few months now. It shares the same (Cordova-based) JavaScript source as the iOS version.
Pages:
Jump to: