Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] breadwallet, first bitcoin network client for iOS, first BIP32 SPV client - page 4. (Read 29473 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009
Very pleasant update today on the App Store! Thank you Smiley
Activity: 115
Merit: 19
Hey, so I've been using this wallet for a while, but I had a question... If I wanted to ensure faster confirmation times, and wanted to set a higher transaction fee myself, how can I do this? I was trying to find where you could in the app with no luck... any help will be greatly appreciated.

The wallet selects a fee based on the size-in-bytes of the tx designed to balance timely confirmations with low fees. Manually selecting fees is quite difficult and error prone and is something that well designed wallet software should handle for you. If Bitcoin is to compete with other payment methods like credit cards, it has to just work without requiring users to understand things like fee selection and confirmations.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004
Hey, so I've been using this wallet for a while, but I had a question... If I wanted to ensure faster confirmation times, and wanted to set a higher transaction fee myself, how can I do this? I was trying to find where you could in the app with no luck... any help will be greatly appreciated.
Activity: 151
Merit: 100
May I know what is the difference between a "Brainwallet" and a "Breadwallet" ?
breadwallet is simply the name of the mobile wallet for iOS while a brainwallet refers to the concept of storing Bitcoins in one's own mind by memorization of a passphrase.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
May I know what is the difference between a "Brainwallet" and a "Breadwallet" ?
Just don't put more on the device than you expect to get stolen. Is your device patched against stage-fright and stage-fright 2, at a minimum? Not many are, including many of googles nexus devices.

"But it seems that you require a build number starting LMY48 to have any Stagefright fixes at all, with LMY48T or later also giving you fixes against the newer “Stagefright 2” holes. So the Nexus 5, which has fixes up to LMY48M, is probably a bit safer than my Nexus 7, but not as safe as, say, the Nexus 6, which is up to LMY48W."

Also to be compatible the wallet must support the default bip32 wallet layout. I'm not sure if mycelium does or not, it might use bip44 layout only.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
Thanks Aaron, I appreciate your concern with security. Nonetheless I consider myself a Bitcoin expert (I made enough careless mistakes when I was still learning about all this Smiley) and I do trust Mycelium on Android. I will try and see if I can import the backup seed from one into the other. If I understood correctly, Mycelium is BIP32 and BIP39 compatible as well, so that seems promising.

By the way, great to hear you're bringing breadwallet to Android as well! (any chance of Windows Phone too? Wink)
Question about breadwallet: is it possible to share an address (either a single address or a HD sequence) with another, non-breadwallet wallet? In particular: a Mycelium wallet on android?

I would love to have breadwallet on iOS, and Mycelium on Android, and use the same address (or addresses, if it's possible with HD) on both devices.

I guess the easiest way would be to import the same private key in both wallets (that wouldn't be HD, but that's OK). I can import a single private key in Mycelium on Android, is this also possible with breadwallet?

Although your recovery phrase will work with any wallet that supports BIP39 and the default BIP32 wallet structure, you should never enter your recovery phrase into other wallets or devices. They are not built to the same security standards. It exposes your breadwallet balance to risk of malware theft.

We have an android version of breadwallet under development that will make use of the trusted execution environment/trusted user interface available on newer devices to achieve similar levels of security as on iOS. We will never release a product we believe exposes users funds to risk of malware theft.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
Question about breadwallet: is it possible to share an address (either a single address or a HD sequence) with another, non-breadwallet wallet? In particular: a Mycelium wallet on android?

I would love to have breadwallet on iOS, and Mycelium on Android, and use the same address (or addresses, if it's possible with HD) on both devices.

I guess the easiest way would be to import the same private key in both wallets (that wouldn't be HD, but that's OK). I can import a single private key in Mycelium on Android, is this also possible with breadwallet?
Do you plan to make a version for android? I will use this wallet for sure on my S5. But I don't have a IPhone  Sad

We are working on an android version, but it will likely only work with new devices that support trusted execution environment with trusted UI. We will never release a product we think exposes users to the risk of malware theft.
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 6830
Do you plan to make a version for android? I will use this wallet for sure on my S5. But I don't have a IPhone  Sad
legendary
voisine, since you're around, I'd like to call the attention to this issue on the other breadwallet thread (don't know why people don't simply move discussion to here... but that's another topic Cheesy)

Although I think I'm not quite following the user's issue, it seems that seed data is somehow stored on iTunes, outside of a phone backup. Is that correct? if yes, isn't that another place to search for vulnerabilities regarding finding out what is one's seed? I don't know exactly how is iTunes data encrypted and although stealing a seed from iTunes data might seem tricky or something that probably no one will try, it's something that I find relevant to discuss...

And what about phone backups? Are they handled the same way? breadwallet data certainly goes on those, I guess.

The wallet seed is stored in the iOS keychain, marked "this device only". This means that you can only restore it from backup to the same device it was created on, so you are protected even if an attacker hacks your iCloud account or gets ahold of your iTunes backups.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks Smiley
voisine, since you're around, I'd like to call the attention to this issue on the other breadwallet thread (don't know why people don't simply move discussion to here... but that's another topic Cheesy)

Although I think I'm not quite following the user's issue, it seems that seed data is somehow stored on iTunes, outside of a phone backup. Is that correct? if yes, isn't that another place to search for vulnerabilities regarding finding out what is one's seed? I don't know exactly how is iTunes data encrypted and although stealing a seed from iTunes data might seem tricky or something that probably no one will try, it's something that I find relevant to discuss...

And what about phone backups? Are they handled the same way? breadwallet data certainly goes on those, I guess.

The wallet seed is stored in the iOS keychain, marked "this device only". This means that you can only restore it from backup to the same device it was created on, so you are protected even if an attacker hacks your iCloud account or gets ahold of your iTunes backups.
legendary

How does breadwallet handles the malleability attack ?

EDIT: you can read about this new ongoing attack here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/new-transaction-malleability-attack-wave-another-stresstest-1198032

Breadwallet currently handles tx malleability like a double-spend attempt. The malleated tx will be displayed in your tx history marked "invalid". Once one or the other tx is confirmed, the remaining one will be ejected from the mempools of connected peers and then be removed from your breadwallet history. Your wallet balance will remain correct throughout.
legendary

EDIT: you can read about this new ongoing attack here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/new-transaction-malleability-attack-wave-another-stresstest-1198032

Pretty well, I'd say. It shows both transactions, one saying "INVALID". Doesn't seemed to be confused with the 2 different hashes Smiley

Besides the invalid warning, if you open more info on the transaction it says "double spend" on the status part.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100

donator
Activity: 674
Merit: 522
Sorry for the late response. For now the app only shows a badge icon. If we show the amount of a transaction in a notification, that would be a privacy concern. I suppose we could have the option to display tx amounts in notifications but keep it off by default.

Thanks for chiming in. Keeping amounts off by default is a very good idea. If user decides to see amounts directly in notifications, that's a nice feature to have... but otherwise notifications could display just something like "New payment has arrived." (without specifying any amount).

Keep up the good work!
legendary
Just wanted to give some feedback for this last update. The notification center widget is just amazing! Pretty handy and works perfectly, thank you.

+1 ... Widget is really awesome!

BTW: How is lock-screen notification suppose to look like?

I only get badge number on top of breadwallet icon even though "Show on Lock Screen" is turned on. I never get any breadwallet message on lock screen.

Can someone make a screenshot? Any idea what am i missing?

Sorry for the late response. For now the app only shows a badge icon. If we show the amount of a transaction in a notification, that would be a privacy concern. I suppose we could have the option to display tx amounts in notifications but keep it off by default.

It would be interesting if the app could see if iOS has "Private Notification" settings activated, and warn the user according to that, but I'm not sure if iOS tools and API's allow that.

An option like the one you referred is simple and effective... "Show transaction amount on notification?". I'd definitely choose Yes. My phone is always with me, and I can simply see the notification privately on my Apple Watch and dismiss it, knowing the amount that entered on the wallet.

Also, breadwallet has been throttling fees very nicely during this "stress test" Smiley Had to pay for some goods during the day and the transaction confirmed on the next block, with 123 bits fee (3 cents) Smiley
Just wanted to give some feedback for this last update. The notification center widget is just amazing! Pretty handy and works perfectly, thank you.

+1 ... Widget is really awesome!

BTW: How is lock-screen notification suppose to look like?

I only get badge number on top of breadwallet icon even though "Show on Lock Screen" is turned on. I never get any breadwallet message on lock screen.

Can someone make a screenshot? Any idea what am i missing?

Pages:
Jump to: