Author

Topic: [ANN] CureCoin 2.0 is live - Mandatory Update is available now - DEC 2018 - page 169. (Read 696254 times)

legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1007
I did not intend to donate my hardware and utility costs but I can sleep well at night if that ends up being the case.  I've mined several coins that were near a total loss.  Exchange theft etc...  At least even if CureCoin literally disappears and I get zero money for doing it, the research can not be taken away.  The work meant something and really that is all that matters to me.  Any coin is a gamble so I may as well make the gamble useful.

This is true. And so in that case, any reward is better than none, Smiley.

I do hope that more projects pick up that are similar to this. Giving a real benefit to hashing instead of just wasting electricity to "protect a network."
Activity: 292
Merit: 250
Can anyone here confirm lower power usage and heat with F@H as well? I was just reading through the docs. If anyone has like a 7950/7970 that they can compare it to (Scrypt vs F@H) that'd be awesome.

Over at http://curecoinfolding.com/ I did one for a Sapphire Toxic 280x, which is very similar to a 7970. Currently, my rigs run cooler when protein folding, with lower power consumption. I'll benchmark a 7950 and 7970 for you tomorrow.

That's an awesome review. I'm looking forward to the one tomorrow! FWIW, I have a 7950 (just threw 7970 in there because I figured they'd be somewhat similar). I'm mostly interested in the Scrypt vs F@H:

Power usage
Temperatures
Fan speed at that temp

With the temps being around the same ambient.

I really need to get a Kill-a-Watt, XD.

I can not comment on the power usage but I can comment on the temps and fan speed.

While running Scrypt I was running my fans at 80% and some of my GPU's (R9 290X TRI-X's) were still pushing 90 degrees Celcius and that was even after I added an additional 15,000 BTU cooling in the room.

Since switching to F@H I've removed the additional 15,000 BTU cooling in the room and the hottest running GPU stays stable at around 75 degrees Celcius with auto fans which seems to stay around 42%.

It is hard for me to imagine that the power consumption isn't equally as jarring but I don't have concrete proof to back up that assumption.  I can say that for me it would be impossible for there not to be a power savings because I don't need the additional cooling and my fans run at half the speed they used to.

Thankfully I had one day left to return the AC's to Lowe's which I did!   Cheesy

Thanks CureCoin dev team!  You went live in just a nick of time.

Hah, that's an awesome story!

I am a bit worried about the increasing hash rate seen on the link that was posted a little while ago though. I have the feeling it's not going to be profitable for too much longer at this rate. And then it's back to Scrypt or nothing at all.

Yeah I got lucky on the timing that is for sure.   Cheesy

I will not go back to mining again no matter what.  When I bought my hardware I told my wife that as soon as CureCoin launched I would switch off whatever I was mining to go to CureCoin because I believe this sort of idea is the future of crypto's but more importantly when I learned about F@H I couldn't see a reason not to do it.

I did not intend to donate my hardware and utility costs but I can sleep well at night if that ends up being the case.  I've mined several coins that were near a total loss.  Exchange theft etc...  At least even if CureCoin literally disappears and I get zero money for doing it, the research can not be taken away.  The work meant something and really that is all that matters to me.  Any coin is a gamble so I may as well make the gamble useful.
legendary
Can anyone here confirm lower power usage and heat with F@H as well? I was just reading through the docs. If anyone has like a 7950/7970 that they can compare it to (Scrypt vs F@H) that'd be awesome.

Over at http://curecoinfolding.com/ I did one for a Sapphire Toxic 280x, which is very similar to a 7970. Currently, my rigs run cooler when protein folding, with lower power consumption. I'll benchmark a 7950 and 7970 for you tomorrow.

That's an awesome review. I'm looking forward to the one tomorrow! FWIW, I have a 7950 (just threw 7970 in there because I figured they'd be somewhat similar). I'm mostly interested in the Scrypt vs F@H:

Power usage
Temperatures
Fan speed at that temp

I can not comment on the power usage but I can comment on the temps and fan speed.

While running Scrypt I was running my fans at 80% and some of my GPU's (R9 290X TRI-X's) were still pushing 90 degrees Celcius and that was even after I added an additional 15,000 BTU cooling in the room.

Since switching to F@H I've removed the additional 15,000 BTU cooling in the room and the hottest running GPU stays stable at around 75 degrees Celcius with auto fans which seems to stay around 42%.

It is hard for me to imagine that the power consumption isn't equally as jarring but I don't have concrete proof to back up that assumption.  I can say that for me it would be impossible for there not to be a power savings because I don't need the additional cooling and my fans run at half the speed they used to.

Thankfully I had one day left to return the AC's to Lowe's which I did!   Cheesy

Thanks CureCoin dev team!  You went live in just a nick of time.

Hah, that's an awesome story!

I am a bit worried about the increasing hash rate seen on the link that was posted a little while ago though. I have the feeling it's not going to be profitable for too much longer at this rate. And then it's back to Scrypt or nothing at all.
Activity: 153
Merit: 100

Did we just decimate the whole world in folding proteins?
Good job everyone, this is newsworthy stuff!!

It is almost as if someone flipped a switch.
Activity: 292

Power usage
Temperatures
Fan speed at that temp

It is hard for me to imagine that the power consumption isn't equally as jarring but I don't have concrete proof to back up that assumption.  I can say that for me it would be impossible for there not to be a power savings because I don't need the additional cooling and my fans run at half the speed they used to.

Thankfully I had one day left to return the AC's to Lowe's which I did!   Cheesy

Thanks CureCoin dev team!  You went live in just a nick of time.
Activity: 196
Activity: 196
Devs, is it possible to fork the f@h software and make it more GPU efficient so we can really get our protein on?
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
My rig have 5 GPU 280x. But when i run FAH, GPU1 running at 0% and stuck in that. Do you know how to fix it? Thanks.

What CPU?

ADM Athlon II X2 220
legendary

Power usage
Temperatures
Fan speed at that temp

legendary
Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029
My rig have 5 GPU 280x. But when i run FAH, GPU1 running at 0% and stuck in that. Do you know how to fix it? Thanks.

What CPU?
legendary

legendary
Activity: 294

First give it some time to update. Second my first 2 concerns you have 5 280x are your OS and bottlenecking.

To run the above without CPU bottlenecking you need at least a 6 core CPU. That and you need a Windows based OS, FAH isn't supported with AMD on Linux. Are all your other GPUs running and if so at what rate.
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
legendary
How many Curecoins could someone expect to get off mining with, say a 7950?

We did some calculations earlier in IRC, I'll repeat them here.

If the team makes, say, 230M PPD tomorrow, and your 7950 gets 95K PPD, then you would get 0.04% of the 7488 CUR payout, which would be around 3 CUR. At an exchange price of 0.002, that's around $2.70.

Awesome. Thanks for the response! I had seen the project before but wasn't sure how it all worked and that made me hesitant to join it. Reading up on it more, though, I think it is a good idea.

Welcome - I'm mining with a 7950 too so thanks for the math. I'm currently running my 7950 at around 110k PPD but I have $2.16 in electricity costs/day. Still I was doing folding@home before this for free so might as well continue Smiley.

My electric is $1.20 or so per day so that means this should be a profitable project for me.
Activity: 294

If the team makes, say, 230M PPD tomorrow, and your 7950 gets 95K PPD, then you would get 0.04% of the 7488 CUR payout, which would be around 3 CUR. At an exchange price of 0.002, that's around $2.70.

Awesome. Thanks for the response! I had seen the project before but wasn't sure how it all worked and that made me hesitant to join it. Reading up on it more, though, I think it is a good idea.

Welcome - I'm mining with a 7950 too so thanks for the math. I'm currently running my 7950 at around 110k PPD but I have $2.16 in electricity costs/day. Still I was doing folding@home before this for free so might as well continue Smiley.
legendary

legendary

Jump to: