Author

Topic: [ANN] FACTOM - Introducing Honesty to Record-Keeping - page 439. (Read 2115876 times)

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004
This coin is too centralized for me. I don't see it becoming a success because of the centralized mining structure.

This is because you are biased from the results of all the near pointless altcoins.

In the real world, with actual projects that need ongoing maintenance and improvement, giving developers a longterm stake is actually more aligned incentive wise. The developers get paid in proportion to the value they bring to the project. Once the people who run the project have salaries not paid in stake, that is when you have nothing but altruism to rely on or a need to maintain one's credibility.

However all these weirdo POW miner types have this weird sense of entitlement. Their logic is this - Since the first blockchain relies on POW every other blockchain should rely on POW ... just because.

How annoying.

I don't think you understand what factom is. It's mining (PoW or PoS doesn't matter)... but only 8 centralized miners are allowed to mine. These centralized miners will obtain 50% of all factoids created.

This centralization will allow Factom to modify blockchains and create forks easily. This is why I don't understand what this project is. If I wanted my data backed up 8 times redundant I could hash my data myself and host it on Google who would probably offer better redundancy to my data.

Nothing on Factom can be trusted because it's centralized.

For the next project, I would rather the public raise funds for salaries as the project goes a long. No need to hand out golden parachutes to obtain developers. Raise funds every year and create more XCP tokens to give investors.

This will probably go down as the dumbest crypto idea that the public got tricked into buying yet. Amazingly, the public will only be receiving 25% of all Factoids.

Activity: 126
Merit: 100
In my opinion FACTOM will be the first killer app of crypto currency since it has a good business mode and team, let us wait and see.

then i really wonder why only $500k+ were thrown at the crowdsale..and augur has already raised almost $5M and growing :|

Factom is not going to be the killer app.  It is a platform/data layer.  My grandmother would have no use for it.  What she would have use for is an app that utilizes it.  It would not surprise me if the killer app that brings blockchain to my grandmother uses Factom as part of their process.  Blockchain technology is going to be in widespread use in the next few years, but most people will not even know they are using it.  Do you care how your microwave works as long as your food is hot?  Bitcoin automated trust.  Factom can verify it.

As to a small crowdsale , my opinion, Factom isn't sexy.  It is useful.  A year from now Auger will be doing well.  Prediction markets really are sexy.  To those that use them.  Factom is going to be a little part of all of the big systems created out there.  So, not sexy.  just ubiquitous.

I guess I was thinking it is a platform that can allow killer apps to be developed.  It's clear now that decentralized applications are going to change the world.  It will probably take decades for this industry and these networks to scale and build-out enough support that decentralized applications will pose a threat to corporations and their pseudo-monopolies.
Activity: 596
Merit: 500
F*CK WHALES!
I not follow Factom for long time. I need to know can I sell this token now?
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
In my opinion FACTOM will be the first killer app of crypto currency since it has a good business mode and team, let us wait and see.

then i really wonder why only $500k+ were thrown at the crowdsale..and augur has already raised almost $5M and growing :|

I think it was a timing thing.  I remember being really suspicious of crowdsales at the time that Factom was running their's.  I can't remember why.  Something shady/disappointing must have happened around that time.  But with the raging success/ROI of the Ethereum launch, crowdsales are red hot again and Augur is benefiting.  Sometimes timing is everything.
Activity: 63
Merit: 10

Factom is not going to be the killer app.  It is a platform/data layer.  My grandmother would have no use for it.  What she would have use for is an app that utilizes it.  It would not surprise me if the killer app that brings blockchain to my grandmother uses Factom as part of their process.  Blockchain technology is going to be in widespread use in the next few years, but most people will not even know they are using it.  Do you care how your microwave works as long as your food is hot?  Bitcoin automated trust.  Factom can verify it.

As to a small crowdsale , my opinion, Factom isn't sexy.  It is useful.  A year from now Auger will be doing well.  Prediction markets really are sexy.  To those that use them.  Factom is going to be a little part of all of the big systems created out there.  So, not sexy.  just ubiquitous.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500

I have to admit that I was also wondering about that. The team was vocal and the project has a very interesting use case, but compared to the other crowdsales it is relatively small. I am also really really excited on augur, but the chances that it succeeds are in my opinion much lower than the ones of factom.

Well, the relatively small crowdsale is good for the guys who invested during the crowdsale.
Activity: 173

It will likely be the first killer app for Bitcoin ecosystem outside of financial arena.  It opens up the Blockchain to a wide variety of applications related to decentralization of data and record-keeping. 
Activity: 125
Hey guys,

Be careful with that website dcxtx.com

I was about to sell him some coins and thought I'd do a bit of a check on him

Decided to do a quick who is search https://who.godaddy.com/whois.aspx?domain=dcxtx.com&prog_id=GoDaddy

The website's registered address is 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309

Go ahead and google that address and see all of the scams associated with it.

DomainsByProxy is used if anyone wants privacy through GoDaddy.  They hold the domain in private, that has nothing to do with dcxtx.  I know because I have used GoDaddy and this service in the past

Ouch.  This was educational.  I'm glad dcxtx's name is cleared.  If I were jman I would edit my post with updated info.

Was not aware of that... Thanks and sorry

Not a problem.  Just glad the whole thread didn't end on that topic.
Activity: 153
Hey guys,

Decided to do a quick who is search https://who.godaddy.com/whois.aspx?domain=dcxtx.com&prog_id=GoDaddy

DomainsByProxy is used if anyone wants privacy through GoDaddy.  They hold the domain in private, that has nothing to do with dcxtx.  I know because I have used GoDaddy and this service in the past

Ouch.  This was educational.  I'm glad dcxtx's name is cleared.  If I were jman I would edit my post with updated info.

Was not aware of that... Thanks and sorry
legendary
Activity: 1372
Hey guys,

I am really excited for when a liquid market will be available to trade FACT.

~ 8 million Factoids currently, at $1 per Factoid = $8 million market cap

That seems a pretty reasonable network start value, though I'm sure it will go much higher down the road.

What do you guys think the going price will be?

ETHereum has  $ 91 mil marketcap. FACTOM will rise from $8 million market cap to those ETH values.
So we can see $5 per Factoid and higher by the end of this year

Let's hope mate.. I'd be happy if we broke the $1 mark

Yeah, definitely hopeful Wink
Hey guys,

Hey guys,

Wow.  That looks nothing like my address.  I will certainly look at it though.  We are just outside of Austin, Our address is on our website.

Ah.  When I registered the domain (on GoDaddy) a year or two ago I checked the privacy option.  Domain by Proxy is the company that it gets registered to by GoDaddy.
Hey guys,

Wow.  That looks nothing like my address.  I will certainly look at it though.  We are just outside of Austin, Our address is on our website.
Activity: 153
deleted
Activity: 283
Merit: 250

That seems a pretty reasonable network start value, though I'm sure it will go much higher down the road.

ETHereum has  $ 91 mil marketcap. FACTOM will rise from $8 million market cap to those ETH values.

Let's hope mate.. I'd be happy if we broke the $1 mark
Activity: 123

This project is very very potential and promising, please image if there are some countries use this technology,  what price will it go?
legendary
Activity: 1098
Angel investor.

thanks for the good documentation regarding factom community install guide - it worked fairly well, even though I had to install a virtual box and was using linux/ubuntu for the first time.

next questions: do I have to somewhat import the a private key? (I assume I do not have to) and is there a proper documentation on how to send tokes purchased during the crowdsale?

We will soon be releasing a step by step guide with the next update on how to use the Wallet.
Until then all is available is on GitHub. Our Devs are working as fast as they can.

Don't rush, a well-working wallet is the most important for the first release!
Jump to: