Author

Topic: [ANN] [MINT] Mintcoin (POS / 5%) [NO ICO] [Fair distro, community maintained] - page 428. (Read 1369778 times)

Activity: 613
Merit: 500
Mintcoin: Get some
Is there an active android wallet development? I saw people mention Bigchirv, but couldn't see any of his posts in this thread, maybe I missed it.

Certainly you may miss them. Hey there, Smiley

I've been studying the code of the wallets out there and yes, I'd like to start with the project. Some user days ago uploaded some images:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwpkXqmxmdGScm9lb21pTXhuS00&usp=sharing

and basically is that what is holding me back, because I don't wanna waste my time (or any other's time) starting the project if someone already has something already on the table.

However, many days have passed and no more news on the status of that work.

Somebody can give us an update on this? Anyone?

I'm thinking on minting on a mobile device. Minting uses 100% cpu to find a hash, much like PoW, but using owner's coins. A phone user would not want to enable it.

I stated exactly the same some posts ago when the topic came up. It basically will drain the mobile's battery and also will slow the device.

On the other hand, a tablet-only user might want it if it's her only computer, so android wallet should ideally have minting, but the ability to turn it off. Or options like "mint only when charging", "mint only when charging and battery > 80%", "mint only when screen is locked"

And another user said the same tho. The argument was he has friends that would like to mint on their tablets. I still think the battery life will still be an issue. However we can always do what gonzoucab is saying and put a checkbox enabling/disabling minting. Of course, for that 1st we need the wallet up and available for download  and 2nd have implemented the PoS algorithm.

I'm thinking about the first use case, to run mintcoin wallet on a phone, but the user doesn't want his phone to mint at all. What happens if I share my private key between desktop wallet and android wallet?
Does anyone know how the QT clients react when the same wallet.dat is used on two computers simultaneously? Do they notice funds in an account are gone if they see an outgoing transaction in the blockchain, or do they assume only they can initiate transfers?

Those are real good questions. People usually goes with the new wallet/priv-key created when installing the app on their devices.

Maybe the Mintcoin Dev Team can answer this to us. Or somebody can point us to proper documentation. I can't tell whether or not there's a mechanism to prevent things like you're mentioning. If it doesn't exists we may design one (by "we" I mean the interested developers that are lurking around the forum, Smiley).

I mean desktop wallet can mint all the time, and to sync my android wallet, I can show it a QR code from desktop wallet and voila, from that point android wallet can spend coins (and all future coins) from my desktop wallet. They should be able to track their balances over the blockchain.

110% agree.

Maybe what I imagine* is not possible due to changes being sent to new generated addresses, but I'm not sure.

I'd like to have the answers of those Qs too. I'm no a cryptocoin expert; but I usually solve problems either with code or Linux servers. My employers usually give me broken code I'm not familiar with, written in and then say "fix it". So, I think I'm capable to do the task. Of course, any of the developers on the forum can help. That's the beauty of Open Source.

EDIT: Improve some English expressions. It is not my native language.

I suggest just starting on it, and posting regular updates for us if you could. I am sure that if you can complete a working Android wallet for Mintcoin you will get rewarded handsomely for it and the value of Mint will benefit tremendously afterward. You will go down in history as the first to develop it, as a wallet like this has never been done before (that's got to be worth something on a resume).
Activity: 395
Merit: 250
aka. dibdab

haha headlines.. some people in the blackcoin community are pretty clever. I think that if there are any good writers among us who may want to consider creating a Mintcoin specific blog or "news site" it's actually a pretty good idea

Just one click needed to go to main page http://www.cryptoarticles.com/

Still think this is some bc conspiracy?
Activity: 56
Merit: 0

haha headlines.. some people in the blackcoin community are pretty clever. I think that if there are any good writers among us who may want to consider creating a Mintcoin specific blog or "news site" it's actually a pretty good idea
Activity: 307
Merit: 252
hey there bigchirv! Glad to have you here! It's awesome that you're interested in creating such an android wallet.

I think the other developer has quit because he hasn't written in a long time. So I think you have the best shot. You can always contact the mintcoindev and ask whether he/them are working on such a wallet and if its worth your time to create such a wallet.

i for instance would mint on my phone at night when i'm sleeping and my phone is still connected to the power socket so that wouldn't be a problem. i also think that during the development process it will be possible to create a slim minting wallet that isn't eating up all the recources. and i have to say that a lot of android phones out there a lot more powerful than some laptops or PCs.
when i walk around i would like to just turn the minting of the android wallet off and use the wallet as it is (spending coins, checking the balances and so on).

further i think that we shouldn't think too much of all the ifs and problems that may occur. the most important thing is that we start the development of a (minting) wallet for that awesome coin.

as you have already seen there is already a nice bounty for your efforts.

so what do you think? can you give it a shot?

greetings
Activity: 19
Is there an active android wallet development? I saw people mention Bigchirv, but couldn't see any of his posts in this thread, maybe I missed it.

Certainly you may miss them. Hey there, Smiley

I've been studying the code of the wallets out there and yes, I'd like to start with the project. Some user days ago uploaded some images:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwpkXqmxmdGScm9lb21pTXhuS00&usp=sharing

and basically is that what is holding me back, because I don't wanna waste my time (or any other's time) starting the project if someone already has something already on the table.

However, many days have passed and no more news on the status of that work.

Somebody can give us an update on this? Anyone?

I'm thinking on minting on a mobile device. Minting uses 100% cpu to find a hash, much like PoW, but using owner's coins. A phone user would not want to enable it.

I stated exactly the same some posts ago when the topic came up. It basically will drain the mobile's battery and also will slow the device.

On the other hand, a tablet-only user might want it if it's her only computer, so android wallet should ideally have minting, but the ability to turn it off. Or options like "mint only when charging", "mint only when charging and battery > 80%", "mint only when screen is locked"

And another user said the same tho. The argument was he has friends that would like to mint on their tablets. I still think the battery life will still be an issue. However we can always do what gonzoucab is saying and put a checkbox enabling/disabling minting. Of course, for that 1st we need the wallet up and available for download  and 2nd have implemented the PoS algorithm.

I'm thinking about the first use case, to run mintcoin wallet on a phone, but the user doesn't want his phone to mint at all. What happens if I share my private key between desktop wallet and android wallet?
Does anyone know how the QT clients react when the same wallet.dat is used on two computers simultaneously? Do they notice funds in an account are gone if they see an outgoing transaction in the blockchain, or do they assume only they can initiate transfers?

Those are real good questions. People usually goes with the new wallet/priv-key created when installing the app on their devices.

Maybe the Mintcoin Dev Team can answer this to us. Or somebody can point us to proper documentation. I can't tell whether or not there's a mechanism to prevent things like you're mentioning. If it doesn't exists we may design one (by "we" I mean the interested developers that are lurking around the forum, Smiley).

I mean desktop wallet can mint all the time, and to sync my android wallet, I can show it a QR code from desktop wallet and voila, from that point android wallet can spend coins (and all future coins) from my desktop wallet. They should be able to track their balances over the blockchain.

110% agree.

Maybe what I imagine* is not possible due to changes being sent to new generated addresses, but I'm not sure.

I'd like to have the answers of those Qs too. I'm no a cryptocoin expert; but I usually solve problems either with code or Linux servers. My employers usually give me broken code I'm not familiar with, written in and then say "fix it". So, I think I'm capable to do the task. Of course, any of the developers on the forum can help. That's the beauty of Open Source.

EDIT: Improve some English expressions. It is not my native language.
Activity: 364
Any news on the wallet build?

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
I know the math and numbers on the multipools yatta yatta, but I really like hashcows pool! I don't care that it's not super profitable because it is easy. I recommend you at least give it a try, very smooth, and I will probably be on this thing at least until another blitzcoin comes around.

Actually, https://hashco.ws/ is one of the most profitable pools as can be seen here: http://poolpicker.eu/

And EASY  Smiley
Activity: 294
I know the math and numbers on the multipools yatta yatta, but I really like hashcows pool! I don't care that it's not super profitable because it is easy. I recommend you at least give it a try, very smooth, and I will probably be on this thing at least until another blitzcoin comes around.
Activity: 269
Parsec Frontiers Pre-Sale 24.01.2018
Hello Mintcoin coommunity,

I have requested a quote from http://www.coinsforanything.com/ for a custom made Mintcoin. I really like the Mintcoin image, and I have been sitting on a few fun marketing ideas that involve having physical coins to hold and take pictures of. Plus, it would be nice to have one in my pocket.  Smiley

I have a few questions I would appreciate answers to before I would spend any money having these things made in bulk.

1. Is there any community interest in purchasing a high quality, custom made Mintcoin? I have no idea what pricing would be, as I have not yet received a quote back from the above company. But if you could buy one, what would you pay? $9.99? $19.99? The coin I am requesting a quote for would be 3D engraved on both sides, shiny embossed nickel plating, epoxy covering, case... the works.It would be a nice coin about the size of a half-dollar. I imagine it would have good weight to it.

2. Copyright issues. Is the Mintcoin image useable in this way without permission? Do I need permission to use this image on the coin if I am selling the coins to the community? I suppose I wouldn't be "selling" them if I was accepting MINT as payment, since Mintcoin are considered "property" here in the US, I would be "trading" them....interesting.

3. What size would you want if you bought a custom MIntcoin?

The dev team could also do this and list the coins on the main website, and make them purchasable only in MINT. That would be something different. =)

Activity: 307
Merit: 252

I'm thinking about the first use case, to run mintcoin wallet on a phone, but the user doesn't want his phone to mint at all. What happens if I share my private key between desktop wallet and android wallet? I mean desktop wallet can mint all the time, and to sync my android wallet, I can show it a QR code from desktop wallet and voila, from that point android wallet can spend coins (and all future coins) from my desktop wallet. They should be able to track their balances over the blockchain.

edit *: fixed typo

i'm totally with you on that one. u seem like a techy guy if you know what i mean. Do you happen to know someone who is able to provide such a wallet?
Activity: 546
It may be my iMac, who knows, but this latest mintcoin wallet becomes unresponsive and just says loading block index indefinitely... :/ Same thing happens with my Zeitcoin wallet :/ any ideas on how to fix? Thanks.

also - the 1.7 mac wallet has a white box around it in the dock Sad

Yes all new wallets load a little longer, but even on very slow machine they should load just fine in 20 seconds or less. It loads under 30 seconds on my virtual machine 10.9, which uses only one CPU core and has 1GB of memory.

On your second issue. If you dont like white icon backround, you can always change it to your liking. Takes few seconds.
Activity: 147

Heres OSx 1.7 client, -mandatory update.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zghumclu249iw4a/mintcoin-v1.7-macosx.dmg

- hard fork at block 220000. You need to update before this!
- properly fixed window reopening issue

Tips appriciated.  Cheesy
MrXW1RKLDe8VMNwTwLwSiKuATN5M74EL85

is this official OSX client?

I have no idea about what is "official", but mintcointeam asked me to do this for them.
I also made 1.6 wallet before (see OP).
1.6 i made only from entusiasm over OSx. Im not even mac user myself. I use win8.1 daily. This 1.7 i made because i was asked.

I also compiled windows-qt myself. Made it little more compact, since i dislike useless space on my screens.
Heres my compact version of mintcoin-1.7 windows qt, if anyone desires the same:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/658eteq94h8b123/Mintcoin-1.7win.zip

There are very small changes in this wallet.
- downsized splash image
- downsized and cropped wallet image
- newer QT version (doesnt really matter)
- made it open up smaller and it can scale down some more (you can drag all windows as big or small as you like).
- 3 recent transactions on overview page instead of 6.

It may be my iMac, who knows, but this latest mintcoin wallet becomes unresponsive and just says loading block index indefinitely... :/ Same thing happens with my Zeitcoin wallet :/ any ideas on how to fix? Thanks.

also - the 1.7 mac wallet has a white box around it in the dock Sad
Activity: 185
Mintcoin 1.7 for Ubuntu is available! To upgrade existing installation:

Code:

or new installation:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:keremhd/mintcoin-unofficial
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mintcoind mintcoin-qt

I get this message on a kde64 platform
Code:
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/keremhd/mintcoin-unofficial/ubuntu/dists/raring/main/source/Sources  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/keremhd/mintcoin-unofficial/ubuntu/dists/raring/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/keremhd/mintcoin-unofficial/ubuntu/dists/raring/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

user@platform:~$ sudo apt-get install mintcoind mintcoin-qt
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package mintcoind
E: Unable to locate package mintcoin-qt

any ideas?

I think you're using Ubuntu Raring. Service life of Raring is over, so launchpad doesn't allow me to upload packages for it.

If you apply these steps (2 & 3), it was reported to work :

Code:
For RARING (13.04) :
If you need to install for Raring (13.04), you can use Quantal files, it should work.

1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:keremhd/mintcoin-unofficial

2. gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/keremhd-mintcoin-unofficial-raring.list
3. Replace "raring" with "quantal"

4. sudo apt-get update
5. sudo apt-get install mintcoin-qt mintcoind
Activity: 42

I have no idea about what is "official", but mintcointeam asked me to do this for them.
1.6 i made only from entusiasm over OSx. Im not even mac user myself. I use win8.1 daily. This 1.7 i made because i was asked.

I also compiled windows-qt myself. Made it little more compact, since i dislike useless space on my screens.
Heres my compact version of mintcoin-1.7 windows qt, if anyone desires the same:

- downsized splash image
- made it open up smaller and it can scale down some more (you can drag all windows as big or small as you like).

and a picture of how it looks:

https://i.imgur.com/lmz2qMl.png

Sweet, thanks 10.000 to you pal.

Activity: 273
Mintcoin 1.7 for Ubuntu is available! To upgrade existing installation:

Code:
or new installation:
[code]
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:keremhd/mintcoin-unofficial
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mintcoind mintcoin-qt

I get this message on a kde64 platform
Code:
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/keremhd/mintcoin-unofficial/ubuntu/dists/raring/main/source/Sources  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/keremhd/mintcoin-unofficial/ubuntu/dists/raring/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/keremhd/mintcoin-unofficial/ubuntu/dists/raring/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

user@platform:~$ sudo apt-get install mintcoind mintcoin-qt
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package mintcoind
E: Unable to locate package mintcoin-qt

any ideas?
[/code]
Activity: 546

- downsized splash image

and a picture of how it looks:

Activity: 42

I'm thinking about the first use case, to run mintcoin wallet on a phone, but the user doesn't want his phone to mint at all. What happens if I share my private key between desktop wallet and android wallet? I mean desktop wallet can mint all the time, and to sync my android wallet, I can show it a QR code from desktop wallet and voila, from that point android wallet can spend coins (and all future coins) from my desktop wallet. They should be able to track their balances over the blockchain.

Maybe what I image is not possible due to changes being sent to new generated addresses, but I'm not sure.

I think the best is to let it mint by choice on preferences, and by default it will only mint wile charging.

Simple. but the client need to have the same functions as the desktop one.

In fact is a desktop one for android desktop/tablets

Than can be used on phones.

Thats how i see it.
legendary
Activity: 1418
Merit: 1002

Activity: 185

edit *: fixed typo
Jump to: