Author

Topic: [ANN] [MINT] Mintcoin (POS / 5%) [NO ICO] [Fair distro, community maintained] - page 574. (Read 1369778 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Can someone please make a tutorial and FAQ on everything about minting these coins.. The reason i haven't started doing it yet is because i do not know enough about it to be confident to take my coins off the exchange... I'm trying work it all out now and I'm sure there are others that have the same problem.

Some questions I have:

What exactly does unlocking the wallet do and what is the difference between say unlocking it after 10 days, 22 days or 35 days.. Will the interest earned still be proportional to 20% ?

What happens if I leave the wallet unlocked all the time?

The devs/community need to make it as easy as possible for everyone to know exactly what they are doing.

Let me try to help you. I have a fair amount of experience with POS minting using hobonickels (and I wrote an article about it which was well received.) The principal is the same for Mintcoin, with a few different variables and features.

Until you have coins that are at least 20 days old, there is no value (for you) in leaving you wallet open, locked or unlocked. Once you have coins that are at least 20 days old, you should leave the wallet OPEN AND UNLOCKED 24x7x365 if possible. Keep in mind your coins are going to be split up into different ages, so once you mint your first reward, you gotta keep the wallet open all the time. If you do not do that, you will not get the full amount you could have. As you mint more and more coins, they will all have different ages, so different chunks of your wallet will be attempting to mint at different times.

What happens is basically once the wallet detects coins that are at least 20 days old, it begins mining in the background using your CPU only. Your wallet is essentially competing to find the first block, just like with normal mining, only no one can hook up GPUs or ASICs or do anything to really gain an advantage, so there is no computer arms race at play.

There is a factor that gives you some kind of advantage which I do not yet fully understand, based on how old your coins are. In other words, if you are trying to POS and you have some coins that are 25 days old, and the only other person trying to mint has coins that are 20 days old, you should get yours first.

If you wallet is not unlocked, it does not attempt to do POS minting at all, so you simply won't get anything.

Does that help?
Activity: 126
Smashing rocks with my GPU
I don't like mining too. Just minting!
I agree. Minting is fantastic!
I can imagine all the fools hit by summer heat waves, being all sad and teary eyed that they can't do their silly PoW'ing (not without massive electric bills from AC and/or exploding GPUs). While all the smart Minters are still making coins without heating their homes to unbearable levels. Grin
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
I agree. Minting is fantastic!
Activity: 229
On mintpool.us, mint is at 55 MH, whilst Doge is only at 44! We made it, we grew bigger than Doge!

Mintcoin is so much more yummier than Dogecoin. And the PoS minting is tons more fun!

Honestly , I never understand the whole mining is fun idea.
It's annoying like hell , pos or pow , it just drives you insane.

Activity: 490
Can someone please make a tutorial and FAQ on everything about minting these coins.. The reason i haven't started doing it yet is because i do not know enough about it to be confident to take my coins off the exchange... I'm trying work it all out now and I'm sure there are others that have the same problem.

Some questions I have:

What exactly does unlocking the wallet do and what is the difference between say unlocking it after 10 days, 22 days or 35 days.. Will the interest earned still be proportional to 20% ?

What happens if I leave the wallet unlocked all the time?

The devs/community need to make it as easy as possible for everyone to know exactly what they are doing.
I sold most of mine at 60 satoshi... kinda sad now, like the new design! and the community seems to be getting stronger. Gonna put in a buy now while the price is still low.

You are so unlucky. The ones who sold their mintcoins will regret.
Activity: 826
Merit: 501
in defi we trust
On mintpool.us, mint is at 55 MH, whilst Doge is only at 44! We made it, we grew bigger than Doge!

Mintcoin is so much more yummier than Dogecoin. And the PoS minting is tons more fun!

Honestly , I never understand the whole mining is fun idea.
It's annoying like hell , pos or pow , it just drives you insane.

I very agree with you! MintCoin is much stronger than dogecoin!
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
I asked about cgminer not working on mintpool. Here is the answer:

Try port 3335 and use --scrypt in the bat file and it should work. Also use no submit stales
Activity: 196
What's the latest wallet for Mac? Will there be a new version soon?
Activity: 210
I sold most of mine at 60 satoshi... kinda sad now, like the new design! and the community seems to be getting stronger. Gonna put in a buy now while the price is still low.
Buy support increasing again.
Activity: 90
Merit: 10
hey guys the new wallet rocks!!
noob question can i just delete the 1.5 wallet or should i first send my mintis somewhere to save them?
thanks

Just download the file and read the read me.

Basically all you have to do is copy the mintcoin.conf to the existing mintcoin %APPDATA% folder, (theread me tells the folder location). Then just delete 1.5 and use the .exe from 1.6.

Takes two minutes.

ok but what is the %APPDATA% folder? and you mean that i have to copy the mintcoin.conf from 1.5 to the 1.6 folder?
If you 're on Windows:
0. Backup your wallet Smiley
1. Open an Explorer window
2. Press ctrl+l (this will higlight the adress bar content)
3. Delete whatever could be in the address bar then enter %appdata%/mintcoin (case does not matter) then press enter
4. Replace the exe. If you want to be sure, replace everything (you should keep mintcoin.conf but my wallet works well without a mintcoin.conf file)

ok everybody, thank you all, i guess it worked!
and to celebrate that i just bought some more mintcoins!!

Monero Core Team
Mintcoin moved up from 13-14 satoshis to 14-15 satoshis. Let's keep this trend up.

Buy support has also increased.
Activity: 133
Merit: 11
The new wallet looks nice  Smiley
Activity: 364
The directions are included in the download. Follow them, it is simplicity in itself. You'll just get confused asking here.
Monero Core Team
hey guys the new wallet rocks!!
noob question can i just delete the 1.5 wallet or should i first send my mintis somewhere to save them?
thanks

Just download the file and read the read me.

Basically all you have to do is copy the mintcoin.conf to the existing mintcoin %APPDATA% folder, (theread me tells the folder location). Then just delete 1.5 and use the .exe from 1.6.

Takes two minutes.

ok but what is the %APPDATA% folder? and you mean that i have to copy the mintcoin.conf from 1.5 to the 1.6 folder?
If you 're on Windows:
0. Backup your wallet Smiley
1. Open an Explorer window
2. Press ctrl+l (this will higlight the adress bar content)
3. Delete whatever could be in the address bar then enter %appdata%/mintcoin (case does not matter) then press enter
4. Replace the exe. If you want to be sure, replace everything (you should keep mintcoin.conf but my wallet works well without a mintcoin.conf file)
Jump to: