Pages:
Author

Topic: ANN: [OPAL] | POS | Secure Messaging |NO ICO | bitsquare.io | cryptopia | Yobit - page 101. (Read 383407 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
A rollback is important.

If he has 2.5 million of these coins, he's going to either dump them at strange times, hurting the growth of opal, or he's going to stake them, and take away block creation from all of you.

Worse yet, he could fork the chain with stake and create a double spend attack, even just to corrupt the network.

A rollback is the only solution here.

...keep in mind that the hacker is reading these forums and may have sock puppet accounts that are saying "No to rollback", be weary of that too..

Until a rollback occurs I can't possibly buy any more Opal knowing that one of the richlist is an evil thinking hacker who obtained these "for free" and will value them like that..

Note to devs, from now on, all wallet releases must reference the website: www.opal-coin.com or github, and that's it. No direct links..

This isnt true. He only holds about 17%. Which I agree is alot, but far not enough for a 51% attack. This hacker doesnt want to 'destroy' Opal... Hes just here for the BTC obviously. I think he won't dump huge amounts of coins. He'll slowly sell them off or hodl. Rollback isnt always the best thing my friend, look at coins who rolled back. None of them do well....
Activity: 172
Merit: 100
Activity: 214
A rollback is important.

If he has 2.5 million of these coins, he's going to either dump them at strange times, hurting the growth of opal, or he's going to stake them, and take away a lot of POS block creation from all of you.

Worse yet, he could fork the chain with stake and create a double spend attack, even just to corrupt the network.

A rollback is the only solution here.

...keep in mind that the hacker is reading these forums and may have sock puppet accounts that are saying "No to rollback", be weary of that too..

Until a rollback occurs I can't possibly buy any more Opal knowing that one of the richlist is an evil thinking hacker who obtained these "for free" and will value them like that..

Note to devs, from now on, all wallet releases must reference the website: www.opal-coin.com or github, and that's it. No direct links..
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
no rollback
rollback = centralised

from what I understand, a hacker having 17% of coins is also centralization if the network weight is low enough

hacker wants $$, not to destroy OPAL - he will sell to make profit, not 51%, he's not a crypto terrorist with philosophical demands. Hacker is not stupid. Result of NO rollback is cheap coins and temporary 'Jacques Cousteau' for current investors (under water for a while).

Result from rollback is loss of confidence & death of OPAL. Stay the course of decentralization people!

edit: if you want to help the hack victims just donate a small amount of btc now - OPAL will be soooo cheap soon (assuming NO rollback), compensation will cost very little. In 2016 NO rollback now will be cause of confidence and price will be good - BUT rollback now will cause OPAL death in dec 2014 - why?? - because everyone will doubt OPAL coins are actually theirs - threat of rollback will be like death hanging around waiting to strike

Decentralised means something

I have to agree. Of course its really sad for the users who lost funds. But look at what happend with the HUGE NXT hack. The devs in the end decided not to rollback, because it makes the whole thing centralized, which is NOT what investors want. NXT is doing still fine now. Like allready said, I dont think the hacker will dump all his funds the minute the markets go online again. There are simply not enough buyers and the price will crash. He doesnt want that.
Personally Im against a rollback, I think it will hurt the image of Opal very bad. It may not recover. Just my 2 cents

We might want to start some kind of crowdfunding for the targetted ones. Ill be happy to send you a few k Opal if you can prove me yours have been stolen Wink
Activity: 210
Merit: 101
Everyone,

I just became aware of the hacking/backdoor issue while reading the backlog.

I'm truly sorry for everyone who suffered loss of OPAL.

I have a long background (15+ years) in the IT security field, and as it happens it was only couple of days ago when I was thinking that some new trust based system is required to protect the crypto scene against hacking such as the one that just hit OPAL. I do have some ideas regarding this that I'd be happy to try out with the OPAL team.

I've also been in touch with the chief of research of the Finnish anti-malware company F-Secure, proposing co-operation and hoping that they will get interested in coming up with solutions that will help crypto users secure their assets.

Yours,

Jyri
--
Altcoin.Center
Activity: 544
Merit: 500
it goes without saying i support the rollback as the only solution that really solves the problem faced by opalcoin atm. i had hoped that they wouldve caught this before the thief made off with more coins. if only the 2.7btc dumped on bittrex was all of it we'd be ok for no rollback. but 2.5million is too much and im sure the users will be glad to know that justice will be served by a rollback. hopefully the decision and action can be taken quickly so we can resume trading. i am unable to buy coins from investors who want to sell for cheap atm. lol

rollback is madness ... everyone just needs to get down on their knees, the hacker dumps for a profit, prices crashes momentarily, we all get a facial, we wipe it off, and move on. Important point is the blockchain integrity remains, so confidence is 100%.

rollback for this is a slippery slope into centralised oblivion. it's not a fatal hack

i dont know who ur trying to sell that "rollback is centralization" garbage but i wont buy it. we take the money back from thieves. opal team provides security to it's investors from largescale theft. no rollback he says. let the thiefs cashout for profit. lmao  Cry

we'll ALL see what the market says I guess. any serious crypto true believer will NOT accept a rollback under any circumstances.

Who is deciding to do this? There's been no vote, so this is unilateral decision from a small group of people. That small group is a central power for OPAL. Can't really see this any other way. I own 0.5% of OPAL and yet I have no say, so for me OPAL is in centralised control by bassguitarman and other guys, not the holders.

edit: what about when someone proves pedophiles or terrorists are using OPAL, rollback then?

You tell me where the rollback cutoff starts ... so we ALL know for next time
- 1 OPAL hack
- 100 OPAL hack
- 1000 OPAL hack
- 10,000 OPAL hack
- 100,000 OPAL hack
- 1,000,000 OPAL hack
- 10,000,000 OPAL hack
Activity: 210
Merit: 101
Hey a little off topic but I downloaded the new wallet and its giving me no connections or anything to sync? Am I doin something wrong? Do I just download the wallet then open it and wait till it syncs?
Try adding the nodes in OP

You can also try using the Altcoin.Center high availability seed nodes:

addnode=seeds.altcoin.center
addnode=seeds.altcoincenter.eu
addnode=seeds.altcoincenter.us

addnode=192.99.111.227
addnode=198.50.151.86
addnode=5.196.226.54
addnode=5.196.29.188

- Jyri
--
Altcoin.Center
Activity: 658
it goes without saying i support the rollback as the only solution that really solves the problem faced by opalcoin atm. i had hoped that they wouldve caught this before the thief made off with more coins. if only the 2.7btc dumped on bittrex was all of it we'd be ok for no rollback. but 2.5million is too much and im sure the users will be glad to know that justice will be served by a rollback. hopefully the decision and action can be taken quickly so we can resume trading. i am unable to buy coins from investors who want to sell for cheap atm. lol

rollback is madness ... everyone just needs to get down on their knees, the hacker dumps for a profit, prices crashes momentarily, we all get a facial, we wipe it off, and move on. Important point is the blockchain integrity remains, so confidence is 100%.

rollback for this is a slippery slope into centralised oblivion. it's not a fatal hack

i dont know who ur trying to sell that "rollback is centralization" garbage but i wont buy it. we take the money back from thieves. opal team provides security to it's investors from largescale theft. no rollback he says. let the thiefs cashout for profit. lmao  Cry
hypothetical, lets say jl777 & SuperNET lost access to their OPAL private keys (don't think that will happen, but lets imagine it did) ... I think if we rolled back for this, we'd have to rollback for SuperNET 10% too ... see where this is heading? If you do it once, then we all know it WILL happen again, but we don't know the circumstances. Too much uncertainty for a decentralised crypto to survive

Don't do it!
Activity: 123

hack is hack as long as not a bug move on

Activity: 658
Activity: 123
security is two fold user is more responsible for actions
now confused on which decision better for miners
Activity: 149
Opal the future
At this stage a roll back looks imminent call it what you want.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1000
Rollback is 99% suicide, so only do it if alternative is 100% certain death. I don't think that is the case here, so don't do it.

Joining SuperNET saved Vericoin, so what will save Opal ... already in the SN.

Cheap coins from no rollback isn't so bad

Wait... there's nothing dead . Maybe a dump,but eh,for a small time you will get able to buy cheap.

And I don't understand about what its gonna be a suicide if we do a rollback,is not like a checkpoint ?
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Very good, I've been thinking of buying some coins
Activity: 209
Opal Dev
How do you propose to defend users from their own stupidity next time?

This.
The users didn't break the law by clicking the link, the person who violated their personal property did. It's no different then someone breaking into your house because you left a window unlatched. The hacker made a malicious effort to deceive users and seize that opportunity to steal their possessions.

I was affected by this and I've been using computers and been on the internet for 15 years and I have never had anything like this happen to me. This was not accidental or going to some random site. In about 5 minutes I realized something was odd and attempted to correct it, suddenly my computer was forced into an immediate restart.

You say, "How do you propose to defend users from their own stupidity next time?", I say, "How do we make it so attack like this are not profitable and more trouble then its worth?" Heinous actions like this hurts all of crypto. User protection is top priority.

I Vote rollback.
no rollback
rollback = centralised

from what I understand, a hacker having 17% of coins is also centralization if the network weight is low enough

hacker wants $$, not to destroy OPAL - he will sell to make profit, not 51%, he's not a crypto terrorist with philosophical demands. Hacker is not stupid. Result of NO rollback is cheap coins and temporary 'Jacques Cousteau' for current investors (under water for a while).

Result from rollback is loss of confidence & death of OPAL. Stay the course of decentralization people!

edit: if you want to help the hack victims just donate a small amount of btc now - OPAL will be soooo cheap soon (assuming NO rollback), compensation will cost very little. In 2016 NO rollback now will be cause of confidence and price will be good - BUT rollback now will cause OPAL death in dec 2014 - why?? - because everyone will doubt OPAL coins are actually theirs - threat of rollback will be like death hanging around waiting to strike

Decentralised means something

Activity: 493
no rollback
rollback = centralised

Pages:
Jump to: