Pages:
Author

Topic: ANN: [OPAL] | POS | Secure Messaging |NO ICO | bitsquare.io | cryptopia | Yobit - page 100. (Read 383407 times)

Activity: 544
Merit: 500
I just want to say I think that a rollback in this early stage of this coin, will kill it. I prefer having the hacker dump a slice of coins now and then, and keep Opal alive.

Yes, I'm sure we can expect that the hacker will be ethical in his dumping them, since he was so ethical in stealing them too.

I'll let the devs figure it out. I've said my bit, and don't want to hog this thread. This is my last word until the roll back happens.

I think toldy was one of the poor unfortunates who downloaded the dodgy OPAL and got hacked, that's why he's arguing for rollback so adamantly.

Indeed I am the hacker, toldy has blown my cover wide open, the evidence against me is very compelling, I'm arguing strongly to keep the essential aspect of crypto currencies intact - the blockchain, so yes, I must be the guilty hacker.

If toldy promises to be fair I nominate him to be the 'negotiator' in what follows. My demands "I want Vitalek Buterin to admit that etherium is a scam or I will destroy OPAL. you have 24 hours to comply"

I only communicate with toldy from here on!! You have 24 hours  Grin
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
I just want to say I think that a rollback in this early stage of this coin, will kill it. I prefer having the hacker dump a slice of coins now and then, and keep Opal alive.

Yes, I'm sure we can expect that the hacker will be ethical in his dumping them, since he was so ethical in stealing them too.

I don't think you understand the intentions of this hacker. You think the hacker will dump 6/7 BTC of Opal on Bittrex as soon as the markets go up? Immediatly selling to every last buyer? No. This will cause the price to drop drastically, the last thing the hacker wants. You'd have to be really dump to steal that amount of coins, and try to sell it at once. this hacker isnt stupid.

The hacker is an opportunist out for personal gain, so a slow steady sell off maximises his gain

Also, here is the thread from when NXT faced the same situation. Very good reading all 90 pages .. look at all those possible hackers arguing in favour of NO rollback lol Are they all hackers too?

https://nxtforum.org/news-and-announcements/forgers-have-been-faced-with-a-choice/
Activity: 214
Merit: 100

I'll let the devs figure it out. I've said my bit, and don't want to hog this thread. This is my last word until the roll back happens.
The hack is a very serious setback, but a rollback is certain death for OPAL. The hacker wants money, not 51% to kill OPAL

You can still get money by killing Opal as you dump (or double-spend attack) at the same time. Your logic is flawed.  Also please stop referencing 51%, that is for Proof-of-work attacks, not Proof-of-stake, which needs much less.

Reading your past posts, you sound like you either are the hacker, or know the hacker based on how hard you're fighting for him to keep his coins.

Just my own personal opinion.

haha, wow your argument capitulated pretty bad there lol a bit too tired today are we?

From reading your past posts you sound about 5'11" 180 pounds, brown hair, slightly balding, married with two kids, but secretly yearning to be free and 'experiment' ... then again that's just my own opinion, and maybe it's ridiculous to make assumptions
I'm fully aware of NXT, and it's network and support is far from dead. They paid a hacker ransom.

Since you're in favor of the hacker keeping the OPAL, I assume you want us to pay him a ransom too like NXT/bter did to get them back?

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010
I'm fully aware of NXT, and it's network and support is far from dead. They paid a hacker ransom.

Since you're in favor of the hacker keeping the OPAL, I assume you want us to pay him a ransom too like NXT/bter did to get them back?
The hack is a very serious setback, but a rollback is certain death for OPAL. The hacker wants money, not 51% to kill OPAL

You can still get money by killing Opal as you dump (or double-spend attack) at the same time. Your logic is flawed.  Also please stop referencing 51%, that is for Proof-of-work attacks, not Proof-of-stake, which needs much less.

Reading your past posts, you sound like you either are the hacker, or know the hacker based on how hard you're fighting for him to keep his coins.

Maybe. But im with him. I personally think, no rollback will be best for Opal. Just take a look at: http://www.coindesk.com/bter-nxt-bitcoin-exchange-hack/

A rollback is important.

If he has 2.5 million of these coins, he's going to either dump them at strange times, hurting the growth of opal, or he's going to stake them, and take away a lot of POS block creation from all of you.

Worse yet, he could fork the chain with stake and create a double spend attack, even just to corrupt the network.

A rollback is the only solution here.

...keep in mind that the hacker is reading these forums and may have sock puppet accounts that are saying "No to rollback", be weary of that too..

Until a rollback occurs I can't possibly buy any more Opal knowing that one of the richlist is an evil thinking hacker who obtained these "for free" and will value them like that..

Note to devs, from now on, all wallet releases must reference the website: www.opal-coin.com or github, and that's it. No direct links..

Activity: 210
Merit: 101
Crypto currency world needs a Dexter Morgan  Undecided

Your wish is heard... Wink

- Jyri
--
Altcoin.Center
Activity: 210
Merit: 101
@3rdStryker
Download a tool like CCleaner. Go to startup programs -> look for anything you don't recognize. Disable it, reboot PC. Then run a tool like Malware anti bytes and do a full scan.

Yes, these are good starting points.

Another tools you may wish to use to check there are no back doors etc. remaining in your PC are F-Secure Online Scanner (https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/online-scanner) and Emsisoft's Emergency Kit (https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/)

The only 100% certain way to clean an infected machine is to do a full re-install of the operating system, though.

Yours,

Jyri
--
Altcoin.Center
Activity: 295
Activity: 276
Crypto currency world needs a Dexter Morgan  Undecided
@3rdStryker
Download a tool like CCleaner. Go to startup programs -> look for anything you don't recognize. Disable it, reboot PC. Then run a tool like Malware anti bytes and do a full scan.
This isnt true. He only holds about 17%. Which I agree is alot, but far not enough for a 51% attack.

You don't need 51% to do a double spend.

You need 51% to fork the network to your own chain, that's different.

With a large percentage of coins, you can still do a double spend a single transaction if you manage to create a lot of POS blocks in a short amount of time since most exchanges only wait for 6 or 10 block confirmations. That's what checkpointing is suppose to solve within the block confirms.

There's still a world of hurt that can happen with 17% of the entire coinbase owned by a hacker.

Read this post: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/howto-kill-any-100-pos-coins-owning-less-than-1-of-all-coins-604716

I still vote (and have voted) rollback.
Activity: 172
How do I fully remove this hacked wallet?
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
I'm not sure i fully understand this rollback thing. I gos some coins still staking in my wallet. Do they need to be rolled back too?
Activity: 574
Merit: 504
A rollback is important.

If he has 2.5 million of these coins, he's going to either dump them at strange times, hurting the growth of opal, or he's going to stake them, and take away a lot of POS block creation from all of you.

Worse yet, he could fork the chain with stake and create a double spend attack, even just to corrupt the network.

A rollback is the only solution here.

...keep in mind that the hacker is reading these forums and may have sock puppet accounts that are saying "No to rollback", be weary of that too..

Until a rollback occurs I can't possibly buy any more Opal knowing that one of the richlist is an evil thinking hacker who obtained these "for free" and will value them like that..

Note to devs, from now on, all wallet releases must reference the website: www.opal-coin.com or github, and that's it. No direct links..

The links we posted (and will always only ever post) were from wallets.opal-coin.com. All that happened is somebody quoted the official post and changed the links to their own.
Pages:
Jump to: