Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] OpenRigs.com - Aluminium Frames for Mining Rigs - page 4. (Read 52296 times)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Finally got the feet mounted!  Work perfectly, thanks! I would definitely make these an add-on or part of the hardware option pack.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Giorgiana 6 GPU stackable... Nice concept, bad layout?

Frames are built. I'd rather be posting pictures of everything plugged in and running, however, I've run into some issues. There's absolutely no way I'm running 6 GPUs in this thing without buying even more cables or hacking the frame up.

1) Pre-drilled power supply screws are slightly too wide for my psu. So I can't mount them.
2) I don't like how the psu mounts are oriented to begin with. Your PCI-e cables essentially have to do a snake to get back around and to the top/back of the cards. My cables just aren't long enough.
3) PCI-e slot location in reference to the 6 GPU mount points: Wouldn't it make sense to center the slots to the mount points? I'm going to have to daisy chain more PCI-e risers than expected to reach the left-most mount points.
4) This could be partially resolved by closing the distance between the bottom of the cards and the motherboard. Do we really need all of that space?
5) My back left motherboard mounting post was about 1-2mm off center. Unable to screw that point down.

I'm exhausted from all of this. I actually bought some 1/2" angle aluminum tonight and am thinking about converting one of the frames into a gridseed rack.

To address each of your concerns:

1. That's by design so two PSUs can be mounted next to each other. As it says in the Component Placement section of the assembly guide: " If you have a single PSU only, you may find it convenient to connect it between the two PSU bars and screw the PSU into both support bars. This may require slightly shortening the short horizontal bars, using the same technique outlined above. If you have two PSUs, you may want to mount them next to each other, screwed into each of the PSU support bars, or on top of each other (again, this may require shortening the short horizontal bars). If you have three PSUs, you will want to mount two of them next to each other, and then screw the third into the corner PSU support bar."

2. We played around with centre-mounted PSUs, but ultimately it was more trouble than it was worth, as the PSU rests on the same crossbar as the motherboard. Additionally, it required extra connectors and created a sag-point in the middle of the back (where it is, structurally speaking, relatively weak) so it wasn't a good design for "stackability".

3. The whole point of having risers is to move the cards up and away from each other, so whilst we've tested designs with less space between cards we have found them to be sub-optimal compared to our current spacing. If we had to put the cards directly above the slots they would have no space between them, and you may as well just put them straight on the board.

4. Yes, we need all that space, as all of our existing designs convert between horizontal and vertical layouts just by changing a few connectors around (currently not detailed in the assembly guide, but see: http://i.imgur.com/pIOIsQv.jpg / http://i.imgur.com/3d1HpMj.jpg / http://i.imgur.com/k2xdW2g.jpg as a reference). If we lowered the distance that would not be possible, as we'd be decreasing the "width" of a vertically laid out frame and it would no longer be stable. Also, it seems that USB-driven risers are extremely popular, so many of our customers have risers with a vertical reach of 100cm, making this and the point above a non-issue.

5. Sorry about that - the reference boards we used to drill the holes were more weirdly laid out than expected; we've recently adjusted things to accommodate that. Depending on your use case you can either ignore that mounting point, or re-drill a hole for the standoff, or just let the board sit on the standoff without being screwed in.
Activity: 135
Giorgiana 6 GPU stackable... Nice concept, bad layout?

Frames are built. I'd rather be posting pictures of everything plugged in and running, however, I've run into some issues. There's absolutely no way I'm running 6 GPUs in this thing without buying even more cables or hacking the frame up.

1) Pre-drilled power supply screws are slightly too wide for my psu. So I can't mount them.
2) I don't like how the psu mounts are oriented to begin with. Your PCI-e cables essentially have to do a snake to get back around and to the top/back of the cards. My cables just aren't long enough.
3) PCI-e slot location in reference to the 6 GPU mount points: Wouldn't it make sense to center the slots to the mount points? I'm going to have to daisy chain more PCI-e risers than expected to reach the left-most mount points.
4) This could be partially resolved by closing the distance between the bottom of the cards and the motherboard. Do we really need all of that space?
5) My back left motherboard mounting post was about 1-2mm off center. Unable to screw that point down.

I'm exhausted from all of this. I actually bought some 1/2" angle aluminum tonight and am thinking about converting one of the frames into a gridseed rack.
Well that was fast. Have a lot to do this weekend, including building my frames  Grin

Hey Fluffy,

Just wanted to give some feedback on my order replacement. It was FINALLY accepted by NY customs today after sitting there for over a week. Perhaps I'll receive it by the end of the week?

Still no clue what happened to the original order.
donator
Just wondering where my order is..

Order #1022 (December 12)

My last email received was January 14, saying it was sent to customs, but I never received a tracking email.

I also checked out as a guest so can't check the status on the site.  Grin

D'oh - we've added a guest tracking portal, but only more recent guest checkout orders got automagically informed about it;) In future if you need to you can use this link: http://openrigs.com/account/guest

I'll PM you your tracking details so you don't have to worry about fiddling with guest checkout logins:)
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
Just wondering where my order is..

Order #1022 (December 12)

My last email received was January 14, saying it was sent to customs, but I never received a tracking email.

I also checked out as a guest so can't check the status on the site.  Grin
donator
Well my order of november 2013 arrived
sadly in a damaged or opened box
Its absolute certain that the a side has been opened by customs or other subjects.
And it looks like some items either fell out or that i supposed to use 1 thumbscrew and 1 copper board spacer. to mount a mainboard and gpu's.
I have no idea what suppose to be in the box, but would not surprise me if more is missing
The problem is that you get a choice to either receive the box or let it go back, without seeing the state its in.
Another nice disappointment

Ah that sucks - don't stress, the spare brass standoff and thumbscrew is just that, a spare included for those that have odd motherboard mounts and need to reposition their motherboard.

Once you've used the assembly guide you'll be able to ascertain what is missing, if anything, and we can courier replacements to you:)
Activity: 774
Merit: 500
Lazy Lurker Reads Alot
Well my order of november 2013 arrived
sadly in a damaged or opened box
Its absolute certain that a side has been opened by customs or other subjects.
And it looks like some items either fell out or that i supposed to use 1 thumbscrew and 1 copper board spacer. to mount a mainboard and gpu's.
Inside the huge box i found some alu pipes floating freely.
I have no idea what suppose to be in the box, but would not surprise me if more is missing
The problem is that you get a choice to either receive the box or let it go back, without seeing the state its in.
Another nice disappointment
legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
Hi, could you please answer my email sent last Friday regarding order #1221?

It was replied to a few minutes after you sent it - I'll PM you the link to the ticket so you can view the response:)

Oh - sorry, my bad.
Package waiting for me at customs, thanks!
donator

It was replied to a few minutes after you sent it - I'll PM you the link to the ticket so you can view the response:)
legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
donator
fluffypony,

I messaged you guys a few times over the past week trying to get a response as to where my frame is that I ordered December 1st...

Still got NO response - whats going on ?!?

Also the tracking number i received says my item is in the wrong country...

Can someone sort this out ?

Sure - can you pm me your ticket and order number and I'll get it sorted for you?
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
fluffypony,

I messaged you guys a few times over the past week trying to get a response as to where my frame is that I ordered December 1st...

Still got NO response - whats going on ?!?

Also the tracking number i received says my item is in the wrong country...

Can someone sort this out ?

order #798
donator
1 PSU can attach to 5 Units. I am using 2 PSU giving me a total of 10 Gridseed Units.

As you can see in 1/7 pictures, each miner (unit) comes with 1 - White wire and 1 Red Wire.

Red = Positive (+) wires
White = Negative (-) wires

These two wires are the power cords that function the fan, and the USB that connects to the HUB.

This gives me the ability to connect 5 total units per PSU via (LightningASICS) LA3M package.
If you are ordering from Gridseeds, I hear the package may be limited in what you get all together.

Just to clarify to make sure I'm not being dumb - is that the typical PSU solution people are using or are there others?

Also can you give me dimensions on the PSU, and are there any screw holes to mount it?
donator
Fluffy, it is Monday now and I still dont have a tracking number or any responses at all from you or anyone at openrigs. I was promised an immediate response on Wednesday by Donna and since then it has been complete silence.

Went and shouted at her and she just replied:)
Activity: 21
Well, if EMS is significantly cheaper now and I paid additional to switch over to EMS back when the prices were high, shouldn't I logically get the difference refunded since you will be paying your carrier the lower rate you now advertise (and not the extremely high prices you initially charged)?

This would especially apply if the package still has not shipped. Also, my package has now been in customs for 31 days and counting.

Order 1441.

Definitely, any pending shipments that go out from this week are on our new rates. In your instance, though, that order has cleared customs, as far as I can see. I'll get one of the support staff to re-send the tracking details to you:)

Thank you. I will keep an eye out for that. Can you tell me when it cleared customs? And can I still expect it within a week with EMS?

Fluffy, it is Monday now and I still dont have a tracking number or any responses at all from you or anyone at openrigs. I was promised an immediate response on Wednesday by Donna and since then it has been complete silence.
Activity: 56
Sweet! I just posted my screenshots during my initial setup of the gridseeds. I think OpenRigs is what "I" and "we" the miners need for Gridseeds.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5740978

Nice - how many can that PSU power? The only tricky thing will be providing a platform that can handle different types of PSUs people will use, given that it's non-standard.

1 PSU can attach to 5 Units. I am using 2 PSU giving me a total of 10 Gridseed Units.

As you can see in 1/7 pictures, each miner (unit) comes with 1 - White wire and 1 Red Wire.

Red = Positive (+) wires
White = Negative (-) wires

These two wires are the power cords that function the fan, and the USB that connects to the HUB.

This gives me the ability to connect 5 total units per PSU via (LightningASICS) LA3M package.
If you are ordering from Gridseeds, I hear the package may be limited in what you get all together.

Are you planning on supporting ASIC Scrypt Miners, like the heatsink fan miners from- Gridseeds/LightningAsics?

Yes - I'm waiting on a group buy for GridSeeds I'm involved in to finish and then arrive so I can make sure the stack works, but preliminary design is already done:)

Sweet! I just posted my pictures after successfully setting up my gridseed miners.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/pictureslightningasic-hardware-gridseeds-lightningasics-by-aj-miles-519093 (If you don't mind me sharing these pics for others to see)

If others who have these miners could mine Scrypt Coins and Bitcoins with it; and use the frames for these miners, this would be ideal.
As you can see from those pics, I am currently using my desk, which is highly NOT recommended!

This is why I believe we need your help with frames that support these types of miners.

Keep up the good work, and looking forward to an update!

donator
Sweet! I just posted my screenshots during my initial setup of the gridseeds. I think OpenRigs is what "I" and "we" the miners need for Gridseeds.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5740978

Nice - how many can that PSU power? The only tricky thing will be providing a platform that can handle different types of PSUs people will use, given that it's non-standard.
Pages:
Jump to: