Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 366. (Read 1382191 times)

Activity: 247
Merit: 250
January 03, 2016, 03:34:07 PM
They probably lost them like the rest of us due to a "bug" in the wallet..

"Us"?
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
January 03, 2016, 03:31:20 PM

Or they're just having trouble catching up with the chain...   Wink

Well i'm pretty sure if they "lost" them it's due to their own incompetence and it would tarnish their reputation if they didn't refund us either in SIA or BTC.

As long as they kept the password they should be fine..

Updates would be nice.
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017
January 03, 2016, 01:58:35 PM
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1000
January 03, 2016, 01:56:20 PM
Re the SC "Frozen Currency" status on Poloniex, here's the text of a response I received today from Support:

We are now awaiting the SC developer, the wallet is experiencing a problem that only the coin developer can resolve, we are in contact with them and a solution should be available soon.

I apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you for passing that along. I have a lot of coins sitting frozen... lets hope they get things corrected soon.  Smiley
Activity: 577
Merit: 500
January 03, 2016, 04:09:50 AM
Re the SC "Frozen Currency" status on Poloniex, here's the text of a response I received today from Support:

We are now awaiting the SC developer, the wallet is experiencing a problem that only the coin developer can resolve, we are in contact with them and a solution should be available soon.

I apologize for the inconvenience.
legendary
January 02, 2016, 08:36:13 PM
For the moment I am taking some comfort in the devs on both sides, Poli and Sia, as they are some of the best. Confident they will work it out.

However a more detailed explanation, generally speaking, of the issue would be nice  Smiley
Activity: 543
Merit: 501
January 02, 2016, 08:33:26 PM
Any advice for my problem ? The update button on 0.3.3 doesn't do anything for me. Is there a way to manually extract the wallet files and import to 4.8 wallet ? If so , what is it and which are the wallet files/file ?

Yeah, the update button hasn't worked for a while. You need to manually download 0.4.8. We'll have updating ready at some point, but not v0.5.0, I think we did remove all of the update buttons though finally, since they weren't working.

https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia-UI/releases/tag/v0.4.8-beta

To get your coins, click the 'import legacy wallet' and select the 'wallet.dat' file in your old sia folder. I believe it's in Sia/wallet/wallet.dat.

Be advised, if you are using v0.3.3, that's the *alpha*, and none of the coins were real. Your coins won't import. The first version with real coins was 0.3.3.3. I'm assuming you've been truncating.

Why did we do it that way? I'm not sure, we should have bumped up the version number when we switched from alpha to beta.
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
January 02, 2016, 08:29:29 PM
Well it is limited to their wallet. I am updating a 4.8 wallet right now, and all seems fast and normal. However I am only doing this because my trusty 4.6 I had been using stopped working out of nowhere  Huh "exiting Siad" "Code 0" error ...has a few coins in it, so I am hopping to transfer the wallet json and pick back up those coins.

In those cases, it is worthwhile checking what siad returns on the command line. I've seen EOF errors due to renter issues. Anyway, you better stay with the most current version for less bugs, more bells'n'whistles. PS: Don't forget to back up your wallets. Its just a text file and you just need to do it once.

Yo, 4.8 working like a charm  Smiley moved json out of 4.6 wallet and plopped it in 4.8 all coins accounted for as always....

Thanks for the input,  Wink

PS: now I am just wondering when we will have access to the millions of coins on Poli  Shocked

Yea i'm in the same boat as you. Everything is on Poli, still waiting on answers.
legendary
January 02, 2016, 08:01:02 PM
Well it is limited to their wallet. I am updating a 4.8 wallet right now, and all seems fast and normal. However I am only doing this because my trusty 4.6 I had been using stopped working out of nowhere  Huh "exiting Siad" "Code 0" error ...has a few coins in it, so I am hopping to transfer the wallet json and pick back up those coins.

In those cases, it is worthwhile checking what siad returns on the command line. I've seen EOF errors due to renter issues. Anyway, you better stay with the most current version for less bugs, more bells'n'whistles. PS: Don't forget to back up your wallets. Its just a text file and you just need to do it once.

Yo, 4.8 working like a charm  Smiley moved json out of 4.6 wallet and plopped it in 4.8 all coins accounted for as always....

Thanks for the input,  Wink

PS: now I am just wondering when we will have access to the millions of coins on Poli  Shocked
Activity: 261
January 02, 2016, 03:54:49 PM
Guys big problem, in need of assistance :

I have wallet 0.33 beta.2 b383       sia version 0.3.3.3

I had 2500KS balance, i've sent a few times 270ks to a new wallet on another PC, from about 7 transfers only 3 made it through.

Now the problem is that the balance still shows me 2500KS and any new transfers won't work, even though at first it was showing that it sent but in reality it didn't now after a few restarts it says : Error calling /wallet/send :

Please advise.

Any ideas from the developers ? The wallet seems to lack a console ( or i can't find it ). In any bitcoin/litecoin clone a checkwallet and repairwallet should've done it.

Like I stated earlier, you need to upgrade to version 0.4.8, and then use the 'load legacy wallet' button in the UI. Sia is not a bitcoin/litecoin clone, it is coded from scratch. There is a console, it's a program called 'siad', and can be downloaded here: https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/releases/tag/v0.4.8-beta

Personally, I would never save on SIA network nothing more than a THIRD copy of my files until I see thousands of hosts running.

Why? There is absolutely no need for that.

I think you have a mis-perception about what is required to keep data secure. Amazon doesn't have thousands of hosts, they put your data in single datacenter. The next version will have better redundancy information so you can see how your files are doing, but to the best of my knowledge no file has ever been lost on the Sia network. Our algorithms have improved significantly since the last release, file will be even more secure on v0.5.0.

One can't compete Amazon, Google or Microsoft using the same technology they are using. Just because of X-redundancy, storage price will be X-times higher. Unless army of unused HDD parts jumps into equation with Y-times lower price. Competitive condition is Y to be significantly higher than X. My imagination of future SIA network was massive number of small hosts.

We aren't using the same technology that they are using. Are you familiar with Reed-Solomon coding? It makes storing files online substantially more fault tolerant. Currently, we store 5 copies of the file across 10 hosts. The original file can be recovered from *any* 2 of the hosts, which means that you just need 20% of the hosts to be online when you want the file. Host uptime on our network is over 90%, so the chance that a full 8 out of 10 are going to be down is very slim. These numbers will get substantially better as the number of hosts increase, but already they are good enough to not be causing problems.

Interally, most datacenters do you 3 redundancy, by the way. Additionally, as you can see from our pricing we are able to compete on price, even at this early stage.

Updating doesn't work for the old 0.3.3.

Please tell me which are the wallet files for 0.3.3 for i am unable to identify them.

And specify, please, if there is another way of importing the coins to 4.8 wallet.

My coins were bought on Poloniex and withdrawn a few months back.

Any advice for my problem ? The update button on 0.3.3 doesn't do anything for me. Is there a way to manually extract the wallet files and import to 4.8 wallet ? If so , what is it and which are the wallet files/file ?
January 02, 2016, 02:52:52 AM

legendary
January 02, 2016, 12:00:12 AM

I have managed since day one, not lose any coins through it all. I felt my safest bet was to send them all to Poli a while back... um errrrr lol brilliant idea  Cheesy
legendary
January 01, 2016, 11:44:57 PM
What happened to the SC market on Poloniex?

There are issues with their SC wallet.
Exactly not what I wanted to hear lol  Grin (was quietly thinking that)
January 01, 2016, 11:42:39 PM

There are issues with their SC wallet.
legendary
January 01, 2016, 11:22:49 PM
Ya was just in Poli and saw that. They did mention that some coins were under maintenance, but not sure that is the reason for Sia frozen?

Some withdrawals and deposits will be delayed while we are performing service maintenance. Will announce when completed. Thank you for your patience.

Posted by OldManKidd at 2015-12-30 19:46:12

Lets wait and see.... not aware of any other issues atm.... 
Activity: 690
Merit: 500
January 01, 2016, 11:17:45 PM
legendary
January 01, 2016, 11:09:08 PM

The Sia project is very good, and the development team focused and professional. I predict 2016 to be the Year of Sia :-)

Agreed! I couldn't have said that better  Wink

January 01, 2016, 03:36:45 PM
I like this coin, but the wallet is indeed buggy. Is there a wiki or something that would help deal with the most common bugs that pop up? Siacoin reminds me of Bitshares a year or so ago (that is a good thing... good tech, nice clean GUI, but it has some bugs left to work out.)

There isn't currently a wiki, though you'd be welcome to set up up :-)

You can post questions, bug reports here and they will be read by devs or knowledgable community members eventually. Also, I advice you to hang out at the official forum at http://forum.sia.tech. Chances are you'll get a reply faster on the forum, rather than here. There's also the Issues tracker on GitHub, though that's mostly for critical bugs one (i.e. not feature requests). What kind of bugs are you currently exeriencing?

Yes, the current wallet has much to desire. There is a new version planned to be released late January. The user-experience should definitely me a lot smoother, and productive, once its out (and the new bugs resolved ;-)

The Sia project is very good, and the development team focused and professional. I predict 2016 to be the Year of Sia :-)
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
January 01, 2016, 02:39:25 PM
I like this coin, but the wallet is indeed buggy. Is there a wiki or something that would help deal with the most common bugs that pop up? Siacoin reminds me of Bitshares a year or so ago (that is a good thing... good tech, nice clean GUI, but it has some bugs left to work out.)
Activity: 261
January 01, 2016, 11:55:17 AM
Guys big problem, in need of assistance :

I have wallet 0.33 beta.2 b383       sia version 0.3.3.3

I had 2500KS balance, i've sent a few times 270ks to a new wallet on another PC, from about 7 transfers only 3 made it through.

Now the problem is that the balance still shows me 2500KS and any new transfers won't work, even though at first it was showing that it sent but in reality it didn't now after a few restarts it says : Error calling /wallet/send :

Please advise.

Any ideas from the developers ? The wallet seems to lack a console ( or i can't find it ). In any bitcoin/litecoin clone a checkwallet and repairwallet should've done it.

Like I stated earlier, you need to upgrade to version 0.4.8, and then use the 'load legacy wallet' button in the UI. Sia is not a bitcoin/litecoin clone, it is coded from scratch. There is a console, it's a program called 'siad', and can be downloaded here: https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/releases/tag/v0.4.8-beta

Personally, I would never save on SIA network nothing more than a THIRD copy of my files until I see thousands of hosts running.

Why? There is absolutely no need for that.

I think you have a mis-perception about what is required to keep data secure. Amazon doesn't have thousands of hosts, they put your data in single datacenter. The next version will have better redundancy information so you can see how your files are doing, but to the best of my knowledge no file has ever been lost on the Sia network. Our algorithms have improved significantly since the last release, file will be even more secure on v0.5.0.

One can't compete Amazon, Google or Microsoft using the same technology they are using. Just because of X-redundancy, storage price will be X-times higher. Unless army of unused HDD parts jumps into equation with Y-times lower price. Competitive condition is Y to be significantly higher than X. My imagination of future SIA network was massive number of small hosts.

We aren't using the same technology that they are using. Are you familiar with Reed-Solomon coding? It makes storing files online substantially more fault tolerant. Currently, we store 5 copies of the file across 10 hosts. The original file can be recovered from *any* 2 of the hosts, which means that you just need 20% of the hosts to be online when you want the file. Host uptime on our network is over 90%, so the chance that a full 8 out of 10 are going to be down is very slim. These numbers will get substantially better as the number of hosts increase, but already they are good enough to not be causing problems.

Interally, most datacenters do you 3 redundancy, by the way. Additionally, as you can see from our pricing we are able to compete on price, even at this early stage.

Updating doesn't work for the old 0.3.3.

Please tell me which are the wallet files for 0.3.3 for i am unable to identify them.

And specify, please, if there is another way of importing the coins to 4.8 wallet.

My coins were bought on Poloniex and withdrawn a few months back.
Jump to: