Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 371. (Read 1382190 times)

Activity: 261
Merit: 250
December 16, 2015, 03:42:20 AM
Am curious why after a day of mining with 2 r9 290 i have mined 1 block however the wallet shows 0 balance.
Activity: 247
December 15, 2015, 08:09:29 PM
To be fair, we should say that sia is in beta as well.
*Alpha*

Officially, beta.
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017
December 15, 2015, 12:37:51 PM

*Alpha*
December 15, 2015, 07:55:13 AM
Thanks alot
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
December 15, 2015, 05:58:03 AM
Guys i have a problem : I have two r9 290s in my rig but i can only get one to start mining !

If i use -p 1 or -p 2 i get the message :

Platform selected (1) is the same as, or higher than, the number of platforms reported to exist by OpenCL on this system <1>. Remember that the first platform has the index 0!

However both GPU-s are active, i can see them in Device Manager as being enabled.

Please advise.

-p is platform, same for both cards
-d is device: 0, 1 etc.
December 15, 2015, 05:45:55 AM
Guys i have a problem : I have two r9 290s in my rig but i can only get one to start mining !

If i use -p 1 or -p 2 i get the message :

Platform selected (1) is the same as, or higher than, the number of platforms reported to exist by OpenCL on this system <1>. Remember that the first platform has the index 0!

However both GPU-s are active, i can see them in Device Manager as being enabled.

Please advise.
December 14, 2015, 09:19:26 PM
Plus I see a potential for the coin to be used for other things aside from Sia storage  Smiley
Enlighten us!   Smiley
OR could be tied to sweeten other deals... I sell new and used computers. By a pc from me and receive 500,000 free SIAcoin for your cloud storage use. lol

This is the better of your ideas: Sell PCs bundled with pre-installed Sia and a wallet loaded with X coins for backing up files (or maybe have them come to you to claim their coins so you don't waste coins on your most clueless customers...)
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1000
December 14, 2015, 08:07:10 PM
Plus I see a potential for the coin to be used for other things aside from Sia storage  Smiley

Enlighten us!   Smiley

Well I could sell you anything..... for X- amount of Sia coin, as is with any other coin. "Now excepting SIAcoin" sorta like bitcoin  Grin It has a value too. Unlike most other alts that come and go quickly, Sia should be around for a long time and have a worth (and name brand recognition), which because of its base purpose of use, and should foster other forms of trade for the coin. One would think  Smiley

OR could be tied to sweeten other deals... I sell new and used computers. By a pc from me and receive 500,000 free SIAcoin for your cloud storage use. lol
December 14, 2015, 07:00:43 PM
This coin traded at 40 sat, wow.

Somehow the high inflation rate reminds me on dgb. The coin supply seems very similar. And the thing is that with that coin supply, traders can make huge profits because a price drop of one unit results in a profit or loss of currently more than 25 %. This is just not healthy for the coin. This problem would vanish only when price moves up by the factor hundred or more.

Tbh we weren't really thinking about the price in those terms. What Poloniex could do is force you to trade 1000 siacoins at a time.

Poloniex could also allow trading XMR:SC, which would eliminate the price differential issue. I've asked Polo about it, without reply. Maybe if we go at them all at once they'll wake up to the possibility this would be healthy for SC trading.
December 14, 2015, 06:58:19 PM

Enlighten us!   Smiley
legendary
December 14, 2015, 06:44:08 PM
Really the coin price is almost irrelevant right now unless you are buying for its intended use, which is to buy storage space. But like many others, I see the coins price rising again based on the user demand one day as Sia becomes more market ready.

So with that in mind SIAcoin is still a super investment opportunity, especially at its current low price. Which it will go back up I am confident. I am sitting tight on my coins, and also for storage use.

Where many coins have been mined and it seems like a lot now, I believe the coins will get purchased quickly once Sia goes mainstream. Plus I see a potential for the coin to be used for other things aside from Sia storage  Smiley
Activity: 543
Merit: 501
December 14, 2015, 04:27:20 AM
How high is the inflation rate for this coin?

I think it is currently very high, which leads miners to dump.

Somehow the high inflation rate reminds me on dgb. The coin supply seems very similar. And the thing is that with that coin supply, traders can make huge profits because a price drop of one unit results in a profit or loss of currently more than 25 %. This is just not healthy for the coin. This problem would vanish only when price moves up by the factor hundred or more.

I would propose to cut the supply by factor 1000. Then price would be 4000 sat and this would not let traders profit from just the structure of the supply.

What have devs thought when doing such a supply when they knew that 100,000,000 is the smallest amount in blockchain tec. in almost all projects?!

Tbh we weren't really thinking about the price in those terms. What Poloniex could do is force you to trade 1000 siacoins at a time.

Sia's inflation curve is substantially less heavy than Bitcoin's inflation curve, already the number of coins per block is down about 10% and it's only been 6 months. It's pretty high for an altcoin, Bitcoin's price was basically zero for the first year or so, we probably should have taken that into consideration. But the inflation curve will level out, especially as Sia starts to grow the userbase.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
December 14, 2015, 04:05:25 AM

I would propose to cut the supply by factor 1000. Then price would be 4000 sat and this would not let traders profit from just the structure of the supply.

What have devs thought when doing such a supply when they knew that 100,000,000 is the smallest amount in blockchain tec. in almost all projects?!
Activity: 238
December 14, 2015, 03:58:35 AM

Activity: 43
Merit: 0
December 13, 2015, 09:33:53 PM
Guys a few questions :

How many mh/s should one obtain with an r9 290 ?

How /where can one see the total GH/S of the network ?

Are there any pools ?

about 900-1000 with stock miner.

http://explore.sia.tech/

No pools yet but, devs are working on functionality I believe.
legendary
December 13, 2015, 09:33:03 PM
Guys a few questions :

Are there any pools ?

Browse around in here: http://sia.tech/

And here is Sia explorer: http://explore.sia.tech/

As far as MH I was mining on a 7970's and getting a lil over 500+ MH per card, if my memory serves me right  Wink about the same with good 7950's

No Pools. Solo
December 13, 2015, 09:00:08 PM
Guys a few questions :

Are there any pools ?

legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
December 13, 2015, 06:10:50 PM
Activity: 130
December 13, 2015, 04:19:44 PM
I just have fopund out, that sia is a project I will have a look at. Well, compared to sjcx it is yet far behind, but I am pretty sure when the block reward will halfed, the price will sky rocket. No doubt on that.

Did you mean that Storjx is behind Sia? That is right. Sia works in the live production environment now and you can upload and download files. You can make little money by renting out your space. Sia is the only live product in this space.

Yeah Sia is the only one that is currently working.  So while this press was great https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/sia-launches-decentralized-blockchain-based-storage-platform-similar-to-filecoin-and-storj-1449082814 it would have been awesome if they also mentioned Sia was the only working one.  Storj is still in beta, and filecoin I don't think is even open to the public yet.
Activity: 763
Merit: 500
December 13, 2015, 08:29:15 AM
I just have fopund out, that sia is a project I will have a look at. Well, compared to sjcx it is yet far behind, but I am pretty sure when the block reward will halfed, the price will sky rocket. No doubt on that.

Did you mean that Storjx is behind Sia? That is right. Sia works in the live production environment now and you can upload and download files. You can make little money by renting out your space. Sia is the only live product in this space.
Jump to: