Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] The world's first handheld Bitcoin device, the Ellet! - page 12. (Read 45628 times)

donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Yay! It's Next Week! Oh wait, it's now this week. So last week was this week then, but now this week will be last week next week. So which next week will be coming?
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
But that is the problem, I've actual photos of Bitcoincards.  Granted, still photos can be faked; but I have nothing at all from you concerning the Ellet.  From my perspectives, it's the Ellet that is vaporware.  At a minimum, the Bitcoincard guys have working test models.  I saw a youtube video of two such cards (sitting less than a foot from each other, mind you) perform a transaction on video.  A transaction that can be verified via the bitcoin blockchain.  If the bitcoincard is vaporware, the fog is getting pretty thick.

You sure about that? As far as I'm aware, all the stuff they've demonstrated so far is entirely technically feasable if a bit tricky. It's actually the claims which they haven't given any demonstration of so far - the solar recharging, the mesh networking, the usability of the cards in areas with no infrastructure - that are implausible. Each of them is a major advance on the state of the art on its own, and combining them is harder yet.

(Not Matthew N. Wright, but this sort of thing stands out like a sore thumb.)

Mesh networking isn't implausible at all, hams do it constantly.  That is exactly what a packet TNC does.  The real question is can they do it in such a small device and with such small power requirements, but 100 meters is nothing for a modern digital mode even at low power levels, so I don't consider that unrealistic either.  In fact, I'm hoping that they are under stating the effective range, because 100 meters isn't practical except in some pretty dense urban areas.  I'd say the bear minimum effective ranges start at 300meters.  And nor is communications sans (commerical) infrastructure implausible, for that is the very nature of mesh networking anyway.
Activity: 686
Merit: 564
But that is the problem, I've actual photos of Bitcoincards.  Granted, still photos can be faked; but I have nothing at all from you concerning the Ellet.  From my perspectives, it's the Ellet that is vaporware.  At a minimum, the Bitcoincard guys have working test models.  I saw a youtube video of two such cards (sitting less than a foot from each other, mind you) perform a transaction on video.  A transaction that can be verified via the bitcoin blockchain.  If the bitcoincard is vaporware, the fog is getting pretty thick.

You sure about that? As far as I'm aware, all the stuff they've demonstrated so far is entirely technically feasable if a bit tricky. It's actually the claims which they haven't given any demonstration of so far - the solar recharging, the mesh networking, the usability of the cards in areas with no infrastructure - that are implausible. Each of them is a major advance on the state of the art on its own, and combining them is harder yet.

(Not Matthew N. Wright, but this sort of thing stands out like a sore thumb.)
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but it may be good idea to add a Bitcoincard (http://bitcoincard.org/product/) radio transceiver.  As it may benefit both devices if they could ad-hoc in the same network.

Maybe if the Ellet has 3G and WiFi then Ellet's could act as a mobile gateway nodes for Bitcoincard's?

But then MNW would have to play nice with the bitcoincard guys...
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but it may be good idea to add a Bitcoincard (http://bitcoincard.org/product/) radio transceiver.  As it may benefit both devices if they could ad-hoc in the same network.

Maybe if the Ellet has 3G and WiFi then Ellet's could act as a mobile gateway nodes for Bitcoincard's?
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
Ellet supports encrypted ham radio transactions with the iPhone CONFIRMED!

The iphone gets ham radio? Encrypted no less? Is there some Trucker CB radio app I've never heard about?

Please explain, on the surface that sounds ridiculous.

Not intended to be a factual statement. It is a joke.

Zip! (Over my head). Got it. :-)
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
Is this device real?

Elletsys.com won't load. Kickstarter finds nothing when searching or Ellet. Anybody know the creators?

Bump. I hope this project is real. Sounds ridiculously cool...but oddly prematurely announced to no apparent advantage to anyone but the competition... [[[[head alloc] init] scratch] harder]
Jan
legendary
Activity: 1043
So can someone list the pros and cons of this device vs bitcoin card? Is there enough information to even compile such a list?

I have seen the bitcoincard, but until both devices are actually in the hands of users I'd be very careful with such comparisons.
As for the interoperability between different devices: I think it is important to keep all devices somehow compatible with Bitcoin itself. As long as each device supports sending and receiving funds to/from an arbitrary Bitcoin address on a standard notebook computer or a smartphone, everything will be fine.

I am also of the opinion that in the end it is about bringing Bitcoin to the users, not some device. It is pretty much the same as with different software clients: I couldn't care less if you're using bitcoin-Qt, Armory, BitcoinSpinner or if you happen to like crafting your own transactions with a pocket calculator Wink

Everything which makes it easier for people to actually use Bitcoin (while staying reasonably secure) is certainly an improvement and I'll happily support every device that helps to achieve this goal!
+1
legendary
Activity: 1904
no, there is simply not enough to do any kind of speculation.

What about wild speculation?
legendary
Activity: 1470
Hello!
Is there enough information to even compile such a list?
no, there is simply not enough to do any kind of speculation. the top priority is to find a way to get bitcoins into the hands of many via an easy mechanism. evenly important is a POS device. but we all know that.
Yeah, I just rather this be released by some faceless company that eh.. someone with a reputation.. if you call it that.
Activity: 763
Merit: 500
Is there enough information to even compile such a list?
no, there is simply not enough to do any kind of speculation. the top priority is to find a way to get bitcoins into the hands of many via an easy mechanism. evenly important is a POS device. but we all know that.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
Ellet supports encrypted ham radio transactions with the iPhone CONFIRMED!

The iphone gets ham radio? Encrypted no less? Is there some Trucker CB radio app I've never heard about?

Please explain, on the surface that sounds ridiculous.

Not intended to be a factual statement. It is a joke.
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1001
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
So can someone list the pros and cons of this device vs bitcoin card? Is there enough information to even compile such a list?

I have seen the bitcoincard, but until both devices are actually in the hands of users I'd be very careful with such comparisons.
As for the interoperability between different devices: I think it is important to keep all devices somehow compatible with Bitcoin itself. As long as each device supports sending and receiving funds to/from an arbitrary Bitcoin address on a standard notebook computer or a smartphone, everything will be fine.

I am also of the opinion that in the end it is about bringing Bitcoin to the users, not some device. It is pretty much the same as with different software clients: I couldn't care less if you're using bitcoin-Qt, Armory, BitcoinSpinner or if you happen to like crafting your own transactions with a pocket calculator Wink

Everything which makes it easier for people to actually use Bitcoin (while staying reasonably secure) is certainly an improvement and I'll happily support every device that helps to achieve this goal!
legendary
Hello!
aq
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
So is this real or not?
In 4-6 weeks, same as the magazine. Grin

Seriously, I have a theory: I'll bet MNW was pissed at the slow development cycle (perhaps even so with the magazine), and decided to publicly announce it in order to kick everyone into high gear. Protip: Doing that makes mistakes more likely, and won't help quality control and "making a perfect product". As you should have learned already.

I think the recent bitcoincard meeting in Vienna was the main reason to rush his announcement. And look at all his negative/FUD comments about the bitcoincard - if he just wanted to push his paypal device, there would be no need to behave that way.

I think that latter is a good theory.  Lets hope the competition spurs each group to improve their devices rather than causing them to resort to unprofessional attacks. 

If MNW were smart, he would change his device that in addition to existing features it would also be gateway for the bitcoincard. Both would benefit from such a move.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000
My money; Our Bitcoin.
So is this real or not?

Seriously, I have a theory: I'll bet MNW was pissed at the slow development cycle (perhaps even so with the magazine), and decided to publicly announce it in order to kick everyone into high gear. Protip: Doing that makes mistakes more likely, and won't help quality control and "making a perfect product". As you should have learned already.

I think the recent bitcoincard meeting in Vienna was the main reason to rush his announcement. And look at all his negative/FUD comments about the bitcoincard - if he just wanted to push his paypal device, there would be no need to behave that way.

I think that latter is a good theory.  Lets hope the competition spurs each group to improve their devices rather than causing them to resort to unprofessional attacks. 
aq
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
So is this real or not?

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
So is this real or not?

legendary
Hello!
So is this real or not?
Pages:
Jump to: