Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] The world's first handheld Bitcoin device, the Ellet! - page 6. (Read 45628 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
Should be interesting

Don't worry, I wouldn't leave our first prototype engineer in the dark Wink

I'm posting the other thread in a minute. Need to clear some details with investors.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1003
I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man
Should be interesting
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
UPDATE: Just wanted to let everyone know that I've been spending the past month preparing materials, giving demonstrations and discussing with investors. There are several investors in Silicon Valley and the UK that are interested in the Ellet and we may in fact be able to cut our production time to half of what I had originally quoted. To be safe though, I won't make any firm announcements just yet. I have created another thread to offer the community to be a part of the investment process and thus a part of the profits, rather than relying entirely on angel investors that seem to run the world around us.

Will update with thread link when posted.

Cheers.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
It hasn't been 2 weeks yet.
Activity: 742
Is there a video yet?
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
Does that $20-$30 include a contract?  Because if so, I know plenty of people who are unwilling to tag an extra $15-$30 on to their cell plan for data.

If Google is selling these for $20-$30 without a contract, then color me surprised!

Neither would I, and I already own an android smartphone.  I use a prepaid service for $25 per month, paid mostly in bitcoins.
They were talking about reselling for $20-30.  This means used.  I don't think that used phones usually come with a contract, do they?

I wouldn't know.  Do they?
A quick google search showed lots of sites selling used phones without contracts.  Most looked like $50-100, so a year from now will be cheaper and likely on track with google's estimates.

I'm still interested in the ellet, but I definitely see cheap smartphones with apps as major competition.

Maybe.  Still think that the contract thing is a red herring.  I don't have a contract, but still pay a monthly fee for data access.  I suppose that I could just stop using the thing as a phone altogether and simply use the wifi radio for access, and I would have a pretty good mini-tablet  computer to do such things with, but that doesn't mean that I predict that we will start seening used android phones being used as bitcoin clients in Africa anytime soon.
Does that $20-$30 include a contract?  Because if so, I know plenty of people who are unwilling to tag an extra $15-$30 on to their cell plan for data.

If Google is selling these for $20-$30 without a contract, then color me surprised!

Neither would I, and I already own an android smartphone.  I use a prepaid service for $25 per month, paid mostly in bitcoins.
They were talking about reselling for $20-30.  This means used.  I don't think that used phones usually come with a contract, do they?

A quick google search showed lots of sites selling used phones without contracts.  Most looked like $50-100, so a year from now will be cheaper and likely on track with google's estimates.

I'm still interested in the ellet, but I definitely see cheap smartphones with apps as major competition.
legendary

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

That said, could "Always Late Wright" be your shtick?

~Bruno/Cackling Bear~

That signature means: half serious, half joking Wink
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
Via reddit:

I'm sincerely interested in what's going on with the ellet. I was actually looking forward to seeing it, and just wondered why we weren't getting any updates on it. I understand you've got a business to run and can't just tell me everything. Just curious as to when/if to expect an official ellet announcement.

My response (copying here for clarity):

I've fired one engineer for reasons of a professional nature and actually added 2 more to handle different aspects of the technology involved, we had some issues with our manufacturing agent as well due to disagreements on a very expensive design concept for the final prototype, and my personal director of operations has had a stomach flu for about a week. No one is more annoyed of a lack of announcements than I, but there is nothing to announce just yet. I believe next week will be a bit different and for those subscribed to the Bitcoin Magazine (http://subscribe.bitcoinmagazine.net) they'll get a sneak peak before anyone else. Thanks for your patience and I can't wait to shake things up.

This is not meant as a diss post, Matthew, but...

Back Story: George Jones (the country singer) will forever be known as "No Show" Jones because... [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Jones]His wild lifestyle led to Jones missing many performances, earning him the nickname "No Show Jones."[/url]

That said, could "Always Late Wright" be your shtick?

~Bruno/Cackling Bear~
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
I guess it just begs the question, which I am sure has already been asked- why? I mean you're free to develop it, and I'm sure people would really love it, but I'm curious as to how useful it would really be. Since it will still be *years*  until BTC is spendable at any place you normally visit in real life, I think it's a bit premature to be designing something that will be outdated by the time it's useful. Until then, why not just get a smart phone? (Or you already have one) and use that?

Smartphone you say? Grandmas can't use smartphones. Forcing a device into the public space before there is clear demand certainly is a high risk venture but a do-it-all bitcoin device could potentially (if done right), lower the barrier to entry massively. This would give the network effect something to expand into easily and quickly. But still with great risk, comes the possibility of great reward. When Apple first coined the the name for it's "revolutionary" device the "i"-Phone I chuckled at the silly sounding name. iPhones were nothing special back then, there were heaps of mobiles with cameras and such. The iPhone however made a very polished, easy to use device that delivered a simple, straightforward and enthralling experience no other phone out there could.

Maybe the Ellet could also deliver a simple and straightforward experience for Bitcoin finances (or maybe the Bitcoin card can). It's a tough ask but even if it just makes things a little bit easier it's worth doing.

Jesus christ, someone actually gets it!  Cool
So most grandmas can't use cell phones now, but some can and that number is only growing. And lots of grandmas do use tablets. The number of nontechnical users is shrinking in every demographic, and targeting shrinking demographics seems like a strange idea to me.  While there are grandmas without phones and email addresses, I also don't see them ever using bitcoin.  Of course, the ellet isn't directed only at them, but I still agree that it seems like this is a device that will be outdated by the time it is useful.

Smart phones are going to be ubiquitous very soon.  At Google I/O 2011, they said they are expecting their current smart phones to be reselling for $20 or $30 in 2 years.  While a watch that serves as my wallet and only my wallet for security reasons is a cool idea, I still see a smartphone app as a much easier entrance to bitcoin for the vast majority of users.

And the iPhone was nothing special? Really? You immediately contradict yourself by calling it "a very polished, easy to use device that delivered a simple, straightforward and enthralling experience no other phone out there could."  How is that not special? I'm confused.

Activity: 770
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB
Theres a small speeling mistake on the Rendered link

"Chock" it in your pocket..

Think you meant chuck.. ??
It's supposed to rhyme and be catchy

Ohhh.. I missed that...  I still do actually...

My bad
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423

It's supposed to rhyme and be catchy
Activity: 714
Merit: 504
^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

Smartphone you say? Grandmas can't use smartphones. Forcing a device into the public space before there is clear demand certainly is a high risk venture but a do-it-all bitcoin device could potentially (if done right), lower the barrier to entry massively. This would give the network effect something to expand into easily and quickly. But still with great risk, comes the possibility of great reward. When Apple first coined the the name for it's "revolutionary" device the "i"-Phone I chuckled at the silly sounding name. iPhones were nothing special back then, there were heaps of mobiles with cameras and such. The iPhone however made a very polished, easy to use device that delivered a simple, straightforward and enthralling experience no other phone out there could.

Maybe the Ellet could also deliver a simple and straightforward experience for Bitcoin finances (or maybe the Bitcoin card can). It's a tough ask but even if it just makes things a little bit easier it's worth doing.

And the iPhone was nothing special? Really? You immediately contradict yourself by calling it "a very polished, easy to use device that delivered a simple, straightforward and enthralling experience no other phone out there could."  How is that not special? I'm confused.
Keep reading. Here I'll translate for you:
"The iPhone was nothing special in terms of hardware. What made the difference was how easy it was to use."
I guess it just begs the question, which I am sure has already been asked- why? I mean you're free to develop it, and I'm sure people would really love it, but I'm curious as to how useful it would really be. Since it will still be *years*  until BTC is spendable at any place you normally visit in real life, I think it's a bit premature to be designing something that will be outdated by the time it's useful. Until then, why not just get a smart phone? (Or you already have one) and use that?

So most grandmas can't use cell phones now, but some can and that number is only growing. And lots of grandmas do use tablets. The number of nontechnical users is shrinking in every demographic, and targeting shrinking demographics seems like a strange idea to me.  While there are grandmas without phones and email addresses, I also don't see them ever using bitcoin.  Of course, the ellet isn't directed only at them, but I still agree that it seems like this is a device that will be outdated by the time it is useful.

Smart phones are going to be ubiquitous very soon.  At Google I/O 2011, they said they are expecting their current smart phones to be reselling for $20 or $30 in 2 years.  While a watch that serves as my wallet and only my wallet for security reasons is a cool idea, I still see a smartphone app as a much easier entrance to bitcoin for the vast majority of users.

Activity: 770
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
Via reddit:

I'm sincerely interested in what's going on with the ellet. I was actually looking forward to seeing it, and just wondered why we weren't getting any updates on it. I understand you've got a business to run and can't just tell me everything. Just curious as to when/if to expect an official ellet announcement.

My response (copying here for clarity):

I've fired one engineer for reasons of a professional nature and actually added 2 more to handle different aspects of the technology involved, we had some issues with our manufacturing agent as well due to disagreements on a very expensive design concept for the final prototype, and my personal director of operations has had a stomach flu for about a week. No one is more annoyed of a lack of announcements than I, but there is nothing to announce just yet. I believe next week will be a bit different and for those subscribed to the Bitcoin Magazine (http://subscribe.bitcoinmagazine.net) they'll get a sneak peak before anyone else. Thanks for your patience and I can't wait to shake things up.

Thank you for not making me jump through 37 reddit links to read this.
Pages:
Jump to: