Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] The world's first handheld Bitcoin device, the Ellet! - page 7. (Read 45628 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
Via reddit:

I'm sincerely interested in what's going on with the ellet. I was actually looking forward to seeing it, and just wondered why we weren't getting any updates on it. I understand you've got a business to run and can't just tell me everything. Just curious as to when/if to expect an official ellet announcement.

My response (copying here for clarity):

I've fired one engineer for reasons of a professional nature and actually added 2 more to handle different aspects of the technology involved, we had some issues with our manufacturing agent as well due to disagreements on a very expensive design concept for the final prototype, and my personal director of operations has had a stomach flu for about a week. No one is more annoyed of a lack of announcements than I, but there is nothing to announce just yet. I believe next week will be a bit different and for those subscribed to the Bitcoin Magazine (http://subscribe.bitcoinmagazine.net) they'll get a sneak peak before anyone else. Thanks for your patience and I can't wait to shake things up.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Inactive
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
Great, cause Ill be a grandpa before this comes out..       Grin

But seriously, realistically, what grandmas is going to use a bitcoin device that cant or dosent have a smart phone..

This argument is lame..   

Talking about a market genre thats worthless to cater to...

I might as well make guns for hunting, catered to animal rights activists..   Cause you know..  they hunt too...
Then again, the iPhone was easy/simple to use, but wasn't targeted towards grandmas.  Some grandmas use them anyway though.  :p

Some people just want a device that works.  I like to tinker with my computers, but my phone?  No, I don't want to deal with having to root it to get the features I want.  I want something that is basically perfect from the get go, so I bought an iPhone.  It does the job perfectly for me.  It's easy to use, it does what I want, and more importantly, it always works.  And I don't ever have to tinker with it.

So far, there are no Bitcoin wallets available from the app store (that don't eventually get removed by Apple), which means if you want to use Bitcoin, you have to jailbreak or use the buggy Android platform.  I see a standalone device being much more reliable than any application running on Android, and not many people want to jailbreak their iphones either.

I can see the merit of having a bitcoin wallet on a smartphone, but there's also many benefits to releasing a standalone device.  There's certainly a market for both.
I guess it just begs the question, which I am sure has already been asked- why? I mean you're free to develop it, and I'm sure people would really love it, but I'm curious as to how useful it would really be. Since it will still be *years*  until BTC is spendable at any place you normally visit in real life, I think it's a bit premature to be designing something that will be outdated by the time it's useful. Until then, why not just get a smart phone? (Or you already have one) and use that?

Smartphone you say? Grandmas can't use smartphones. Forcing a device into the public space before there is clear demand certainly is a high risk venture but a do-it-all bitcoin device could potentially (if done right), lower the barrier to entry massively. This would give the network effect something to expand into easily and quickly. But still with great risk, comes the possibility of great reward. When Apple first coined the the name for it's "revolutionary" device the "i"-Phone I chuckled at the silly sounding name. iPhones were nothing special back then, there were heaps of mobiles with cameras and such. The iPhone however made a very polished, easy to use device that delivered a simple, straightforward and enthralling experience no other phone out there could.

Maybe the Ellet could also deliver a simple and straightforward experience for Bitcoin finances (or maybe the Bitcoin card can). It's a tough ask but even if it just makes things a little bit easier it's worth doing.

Jesus christ, someone actually gets it!  Cool
Activity: 113
Merit: 11
I guess it just begs the question, which I am sure has already been asked- why? I mean you're free to develop it, and I'm sure people would really love it, but I'm curious as to how useful it would really be. Since it will still be *years*  until BTC is spendable at any place you normally visit in real life, I think it's a bit premature to be designing something that will be outdated by the time it's useful. Until then, why not just get a smart phone? (Or you already have one) and use that?

Smartphone you say? Grandmas can't use smartphones. Forcing a device into the public space before there is clear demand certainly is a high risk venture but a do-it-all bitcoin device could potentially (if done right), lower the barrier to entry massively. This would give the network effect something to expand into easily and quickly. But still with great risk, comes the possibility of great reward. When Apple first coined the the name for it's "revolutionary" device the "i"-Phone I chuckled at the silly sounding name. iPhones were nothing special back then, there were heaps of mobiles with cameras and such. The iPhone however made a very polished, easy to use device that delivered a simple, straightforward and enthralling experience no other phone out there could.

Maybe the Ellet could also deliver a simple and straightforward experience for Bitcoin finances (or maybe the Bitcoin card can). It's a tough ask but even if it just makes things a little bit easier it's worth doing.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004
I guess it just begs the question, which I am sure has already been asked- why?

Security. Dedicated devices are a much safer way to access your "savings accounts", as it's extremely unlikely that a dedicated device gets compromised by malware.
The same thing cannot be said about a generic computer, either desktop, laptop or smartphone.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
Activity: 642
Name it the Waitlet
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
Ah hahaha.

Surprised this isn't available still after N months.

Not.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
Can we at least get something from Mr. Blurrycam?

Mr. Blurrycam is below my standards. I'd rather have people barking in the thread than release garbage. It's coming. Sorry for the wait. I just took on 4 more projects as well including SafeBit. Little busy 'round here lately.

Listen assholes, he's being far too productive to be productive right now. Let the man get to work on not delivering everything he's working on, sheesh.

Mr. Blurrycam is below my standards. I'd rather have people barking in the thread than release garbage. It's coming. Sorry for the wait. I just took on 4 more projects as well including SafeBit. Little busy 'round here lately.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
Activity: 784
0xFB0D8D1534241423
Now it's 4 months. No, seriously.
Activity: 770
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB
0xFB0D8D1534241423
Is it next week again yet?
Activity: 714
Merit: 504
^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.
I'm convinced that anyone watching that video will soil themselves.

This statement should be in the press release. I want to hear CNN anchors say "Creators of the device insist that anyone who sees the gadget in action will, quote, "totally fucking shit themselves" unquote. We will have more on this story as it develops."
+0.000000001
That's a zero too much. You just gave him plus one nanobit, instead of plus one satoshi.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
I'm convinced that anyone watching that video will soil themselves.

This statement should be in the press release. I want to hear CNN anchors say "Creators of the device insist that anyone who sees the gadget in action will, quote, "totally fucking shit themselves" unquote. We will have more on this story as it develops."
+0.000000001
0xFB0D8D1534241423
Psssst... there is no second-generation video
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
Hello!
Do you need anyone to help design the UI or icons  Wink

it would be cool to have a clockface that showed blocks being slowly generated and they fly away with their block number on them, passing by the clock which updates the time.
Pages:
Jump to: