Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][DCR] Decred - Community Governance | Bitcoin Devs | Lightning Network - page 13. (Read 1201096 times)

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639
*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*
If any of you folks want to help with some grassroots outreach, do send me a direct message here.
It won't take a lot of energy from you, so don't worry. If you wanna do a little bit to help spread awareness of DCR, let me know.
We need to hurry up before the next bull run, by then it might be too late.

bittrex class action lawsuit? :-D cool story bruh
legendary
Activity: 1164
Merit: 1010
Wind_Fury, You're wrong.
Decred can have its code copied and pasted to create another coin, which is considered a fork, but the blockchain with decred's history cannot be split into two like ETH / ETC, bitcoincash, etc.
It is unfeasible  to do that.
I suggest you go to matrix and talk to a dev about it.
https://decred.org/community/

Jake Yocom-Piatt, decred creator, on BlockTV today
"Resolving Corporate Governance In Cryptocurrency"

https://blocktv.com/watch/2019-10-30/5db9ab4487a7e-resolving-corporate-governance-in-cryptocurrency

Preventing forks from breaking away with a shared tx history prior to some block is impossible. If you're going to hardfork away from decred, then you can do anything you want to maintain the tx history. For instance, at block X empty the ticket pool, reset ticket price to 1 dcr, reset PoW diff and change algo, if necessary modify other checks to allow ticket pool to be emptied, etc. It's ludicrous to pretend that no one could hard fork decred and start a split chain with a shared tx history prior to some block. Would it be more of a pita than doing the same thing to Bitcoin? Sure. Would it be impossible? Controller nuclear fusion isn't impossible, this sure as shit isn't impossible.

I found the article!
What would happen to Decred in a Bitcoin Cash or Segwit2X hard fork scenario?
Firstly, Bitcoins hard fork problem would simply not happen in Decred. There is a formal on-chain voting system to deal with all governance decisions related to hard forks. Secondly, it would be virtually impossible to fork the Decred network in the way we have recently seen with the Bitcoin Cash fork or SegWit2x. This is because all new blocks created by PoW miners need to conform to the wishes of Decred stakeholders (PoS miners). If PoW miners refuse to comply with the collective policy, PoS miners can invalidate any new blocks they create. So, for example, if 80% of stakeholders voted in favour of activating the Lightning Network, and the remaining 20% refused to move over to the new chain that supported Lightning Network features, then the 80% majority could simply vote new blocks on the old chain as invalid, which would strip them of the block reward. In turn, this would incentivise PoW miners to move from the old chain to the new chain, and the old chain would die off.

The only way someone could hard fork Decred against the wishes of stakeholders would be to create an entirely new fork of the blockchain and start it from scratch. In which case, it would not be contentious at all, because it wouldn’t be Decred.

Source: https://thedecreddigest.com/2017/11/08/hard-forks-done-right-its-decreds-time-to-shine/ (just before the conclusion at the end of the doc).

TL;DR: a chain split where the original history is shared in the contentious hard fork is "virtually impossible" in Decred, because voters are incentivized to vote against "contentious" PoW blocks being created. Without PoS votes confirming the validity of the block, those blocks offer no block reward for the miner, incentivizing that minority to move from their unprofitable and contentious fork to the new chain.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064
Juicin' crypto
have you not renamed this coin yet?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

DeDead

no longer DeCred.

Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 1102
I shouldn't even be wasting my time talking to a troll.  
you have always been one here with a speech disguised as constructive criticism.
you proved again to be a troll when calling gembitz when he was taking too long to reappear here
But anyway, my first language is Brazilian Portuguese, in it we have a word for "almost impossible", for something that doesn't pay to be done. This word is "inviável".
Unfortunately I found nothing similar in English and i thought that "unfeasible" could replace it.

Lol I just think it's funny how dedicated gembitz is to harassing you guys. He's in the Monero thread too, but people don't let him get under their skin like you guys do. If you dismiss criticism as FUD from a troll them you're no better than Dash or Zcash or thousand other indefensible projects. That wasn't really my criticism anyway - I was basically just repeating what I heard Luke Powell say at Coinbase Custody event when asked about how difficult it would be to cause a hardfork/chain split. He certainly didn't say it was impossible or even nearly so.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1028
#mitandopelomundo
I shouldn't even be wasting my time talking to a troll.  
you have always been one here with a speech disguised as constructive criticism.
you proved again to be a troll when calling gembitz when he was taking too long to reappear here
But anyway, my first language is Brazilian Portuguese, in it we have a word for "almost impossible", for something that doesn't pay to be done. This word is "inviável".
Unfortunately I found nothing similar in English and i thought that "unfeasible" could replace it.
legendary
Wind_Fury, You're wrong.
Decred can have its code copied and pasted to create another coin, which is considered a fork, but the blockchain with decred's history cannot be split into two like ETH / ETC, bitcoincash, etc.

https://blocktv.com/watch/2019-10-30/5db9ab4487a7e-resolving-corporate-governance-in-cryptocurrency

Preventing forks from breaking away with a shared tx history prior to some block is impossible. If you're going to hardfork away from decred, then you can do anything you want to maintain the tx history. For instance, at block X empty the ticket pool, reset ticket price to 1 dcr, reset PoW diff and change algo, if necessary modify other checks to allow ticket pool to be emptied, etc. It's ludicrous to pretend that no one could hard fork decred and start a split chain with a shared tx history prior to some block. Would it be more of a pita than doing the same thing to Bitcoin? Sure. Would it be impossible? Controller nuclear fusion isn't impossible, this sure as shit isn't impossible.
legendary
#mitandopelomundo
Wind_Fury, You're wrong.

legendary
Decred dev funding and governance mechanism are brilliant features, and the airdrop bootstrapped a community of enthusiastic supporters, and staking via tickets system keeps a lot of coins locked up earning income for holders. The whole decred design is very well thought out, that's why guys who messed up the airdrop are still upset.

Blockchain governance's "brilliance" is not yet proven in my opinion. Give an angry, and motivated minority enough reasons, and they will fork, and the chain will split.

That's another great feature Decred was designed against. It's very expensive for a minority to maintain a working fork of Decred. The protocol just doesn't allow for it like, e.g., Bitcoin does.
...that's not to say a motivated minority couldn't just go and copy pasta the github repo and release their "fork" that way: but there are different implications for that kind of deployment.

Don't you understand? NOTHING might stop a minority from forking of, and cause a split in the chain if they disagree with what's changed in the protocol. Changes in the protocol that can ever never be removed anymore.

What until Decred gets its own scaling debate.

I didn't say "NOTHING". Cheesy Absolutely some minority can go and fork and launch. What is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY is that any minority has the resources to maintain an ongoing, contentious fork (because of the way consensus is reached in Decred, with PoS/PoV miners). Maybe that frames up the correct scenario?

There was a nice article some time ago that delve into the numbers of maintaining a contentious fork alongside the "real" fork in Decred. It was enlightening. If I find it, I'll post it Cheesy
legendary
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1823
Decred dev funding and governance mechanism are brilliant features, and the airdrop bootstrapped a community of enthusiastic supporters, and staking via tickets system keeps a lot of coins locked up earning income for holders. The whole decred design is very well thought out, that's why guys who messed up the airdrop are still upset.

Blockchain governance's "brilliance" is not yet proven in my opinion. Give an angry, and motivated minority enough reasons, and they will fork, and the chain will split.

That's another great feature Decred was designed against. It's very expensive for a minority to maintain a working fork of Decred. The protocol just doesn't allow for it like, e.g., Bitcoin does.
...that's not to say a motivated minority couldn't just go and copy pasta the github repo and release their "fork" that way: but there are different implications for that kind of deployment.

Don't you understand? NOTHING might stop a minority from forking of, and cause a split in the chain if they disagree with what's changed in the protocol. Changes in the protocol that can ever never be removed anymore.

What until Decred gets its own scaling debate.
legendary
#mitandopelomundo
Decred - Canon

A collection of readings and resources to help people familiarize themselves with the Decred Project

https://github.com/maxbron08/Decred-Canon
Activity: 437
Merit: 258
Decred attends the Blockhead Capital conference in Los Angeles, where recently released Privacy was shown to the public
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNPPMwr9TU8

Good video, thanx 4 sharing. That's great that almost everybody in the audience had Decred, so Jake didn't have to start with lots of basic stuff. I loved it when he said that other cryptocurrencies are made to solve particular issues but with Decred, they're trying to change the game itself (sounds badass, right? Cool) and they're more focused on the bigger picture than any short-term results. I think that's the right philosophy to build a really solid project.
legendary
Activity: 2165
Merit: 1002
Wouldn't it help to know what kind of help is needed? Like, what kind of actions would it require?
legendary
Activity: 1118
Merit: 1004
If any of you folks want to help with some grassroots outreach, do send me a direct message here.
It won't take a lot of energy from you, so don't worry. If you wanna do a little bit to help spread awareness of DCR, let me know.
We need to hurry up before the next bull run, by then it might be too late.
Activity: 518
Merit: 18
Decred attends the Blockhead Capital conference in Los Angeles, where recently released Privacy was shown to the public
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNPPMwr9TU8
legendary

legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1823

you are delusional the "airdrop" was a bittrex insider phishing scam  Tongue Roll Eyes Angry  you new here?
Activity: 1068
Merit: 523
LOL the fudders decided to make a coordinated attack.
As has been said a thousand times before, but gembitz e jwinterm ignore, the premine was distributed via airdrop to the community and the other half was not for "the developers" but for the "development fund", which is also used to pay marketing, designers, events, etc.

About the vote, you must also have more than 60% of your total votes for your proposal to be validated.
You may have the most votes "yes", but if many of the other people clicked "no" on your proposal, you will need more votes to reach 60% of the total (yes+no).

Please don't do that. Taking the easy way out of the debate by shouting "FUD". Remember, that in Decred, changes/new features that were voted, and hard forked in the network, cannot simply be changed back to the state it was in before.

I believe when Decred becomes large enough, it will also go through the same problems that Bitcoin did, like the "scaling debate".

Anyone else have a reply? Please post them. I'm really starting to believe that "blockchain governance" of any form might not be the solution we thought it that it might be.

RICHLIST DEVELOPER governance you mean? bwaa pfft ===>  BITTREX PHISHING TEAM OWNS THIS DECRED UP AND DOWN & SIDEWAYS.
Pages:
Jump to: