Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][DCR] Decred - Community Governance | Bitcoin Devs | Lightning Network - page 71. (Read 1201324 times)

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

But the beauty of Decred is the hybrid block validation where stakers have the final say in validating mined blocks. This maintains decentralization while keeping the security of a network with more hash power. I can only see Asics as a good thing for the future of Decred.

How exactly do I decide what blocks are valid when voting? Why would I want to vote any block as being not valid? Not to mention that putting a "no" vote in a block I am called to vote would result (if the no prevails) in the block becoming orphan and therefore no stake reward for the ticket.

Also the whole voting/staking system is automatic. My tickets are called to vote and they do. I never choose any yes or no for the blocks, I don't even know how. I only know how to vote for other stuff when available, like the lightning network or ticket price algorithm change.

Finally, with staking pools active and used by most, you could argue that staking is also quite centralized.
Activity: 161
Merit: 11
I had heard a lot about Decred and never looked into it that much. Definitely wish I would have sooner. It honestly sounds too good to be true but the proof is in the pudding.

- Many coins will start PoW and then switch to PoS but Decred is the only one I know of that is a PoW/PoS hybrid and plans to stay that way, making it arguably the most democratic and for-the-people coin around as well as
  one of the most secure.

- The governance model is unmatched. The method of suggesting changes to the network and then validating or rejecting those changes is straightforward and sensible.

- The dev team is unreal. I haven't found a team with these credentials outside of the top 20 marketcap, and there are teams within the top 20 that aren't nearly as good.

- The dev fund from each block allows all of those skilled devs to continue working on Decred as long as the coin maintains a decent value, and based on what I've seen I think that will be true for the foreseeable future. One
  risk is that miners and stakers are less incentivized to maintain the network but that does not seem to be an issue.

These were the big takeaways that got me excited about this project. I hope this will get others to check it out as well.

i totally agree with you man. I've holding my decred since few months right now, and even if i am in little lost, i'm not worried at all.
Just look at how this thread is alive!

Anyway, can i ask you what do you think about the incoming asics arrive?

Generally I think Asics being made for a coin is a good thing in terms of network security but a bad thing for decentralization. The hash rate of the network will increase making the network more secure. But Asics are much more costly so mining power will be more centralized to those that can afford them.

But the beauty of Decred is the hybrid block validation where stakers have the final say in validating mined blocks. This maintains decentralization while keeping the security of a network with more hash power. I can only see Asics as a good thing for the future of Decred.
Activity: 1666
Merit: 565
I had heard a lot about Decred and never looked into it that much. Definitely wish I would have sooner. It honestly sounds too good to be true but the proof is in the pudding.

- Many coins will start PoW and then switch to PoS but Decred is the only one I know of that is a PoW/PoS hybrid and plans to stay that way, making it arguably the most democratic and for-the-people coin around as well as
  one of the most secure.

- The governance model is unmatched. The method of suggesting changes to the network and then validating or rejecting those changes is straightforward and sensible.

- The dev team is unreal. I haven't found a team with these credentials outside of the top 20 marketcap, and there are teams within the top 20 that aren't nearly as good.

- The dev fund from each block allows all of those skilled devs to continue working on Decred as long as the coin maintains a decent value, and based on what I've seen I think that will be true for the foreseeable future. One
  risk is that miners and stakers are less incentivized to maintain the network but that does not seem to be an issue.

These were the big takeaways that got me excited about this project. I hope this will get others to check it out as well.

i totally agree with you man. I've holding my decred since few months right now, and even if i am in little lost, i'm not worried at all.
Just look at how this thread is alive!

Anyway, can i ask you what do you think about the incoming asics arrive?
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
Ok....tell me about Decred coin ...if you would (or punt me to the curb)

I have swap'd 5 obelisk free coupons (of dubious obelisk sc-1 nature) on the 1st batch of Sia-Tech Siacoin miners at $800 bucks each to a guy to get some decred miners from them

2nd batch *July 2018*

So for this swap of $800 buck *dubious* coupons I am getting ONE FREE Sia-Tech ASIC Decred Miner, for my efforts, coupons I'd likely NEVER use, again July/Aug maybe

Ship date on this Sia-Tech Decred ASIC Miner (supposedly)

OK ....this will be hard NOT to ROI indeed as the 5 $800 buck coupons  (or 1/2 off) (I'd likely never use) for a working SiaTech Decred ASIC miner (if it ever arrives)

So tell me, those on here on that have drank the Decred Kool-Aid on IF I should also drink the kool-aid and be a Decred Cheerleader?

or it is moot on July/Aug Decred (dubious) ASIC miner arrival...even if it is free unit with a 1c return at a full ROI (after electric)..this will matter little in the long run?

then again, I expect a Bitmain Decred ASIC miner, before July/Aug..(thus my swap of coupons for a free unit) ..I am somewhat cynical, don't ya know...

(sits back, with popcorn,ice cream, cake, so thus prepared to be awe'd and/or slam'd ..on your replies.....thus the comfort food) Smiley

I await 'enlightenment' on my above swap for a future ASIC Decred Miner unicorn!

legendary
Activity: 1164
Merit: 1010

one of the most secure.

Well said, correct on all accounts!
Activity: 161
Merit: 11

one of the most secure.

Activity: 714
Merit: 529
Quick reminder that Dcrstats Evolution is closing.

Please follow the instructions in your personal profiles and save auto withdrawal address.

https://evolution.dcrstats.com/

All deposits and ticket purchases are disabled. Do not send funds, but withdraw them Wink
No worries thou, the service will be live at least 12 months longer, there will be more than enough time to withdraw 100% of your funds.
Please use auto withdrawal feature to make this process fast and smooth.
Activity: 882
Merit: 252
Can't believe I bought this coin for 1 dollar, should have seen this coming from the beginning and should have bought more. Solid project
Activity: 323
Merit: 19
Hi! I'm just looking at DEcred as a whole. How do they intend to identify themselves as they continue to grow?
 I'm thinking with the limited supply and also the fact that most supply will be tired up in tickets at any one time, that it'll be a store of wealth coin.

Yes I think a store of wealth. The Decred team is made up of ex bitcoin coders that got frustrated with the drama and lack of progress with BTC. They built Decred to be what they wish bitcoin would be, as some else wrote:

Only project with functional on-chain governance. Did the first ever on-chain user activated hard fork.

Everyone says this, but fantastic devs. Ours include the developers of btcsuite, & also the author of the atomic swap code used by btc and ltc recently.

Unique hybrid PoS/PoW system that is extremely resilient to attacks. Making a 51% attack extremely difficult & a minority hard fork nearly impossible for example.

Direct PoS. No masternodes or DPoS where you will inevitably run into issues like the "Lisk elite"

The project is relatively young, just over 2 years since launch. So it's still getting in early.

Great, active community, that is distributed pretty evenly around the world.

Big war chest in the community treasury (something like $30-40 million currently).

Support from many influential community members including Charlie Lee & Jimmy Song.

At least 2 competing ASICs coming out next year... should be an indicator of where some see this project going.

Also, initial distribution. I'd argue that Decred had one of the fairest distributions in crypto. Decred founders started with 4% of total supply (which they paid for w/ cash into the community fund) and airdropped another 4% to crypto community members. The PoS % of new DCR is purposefilly set low so the relative power of holders decreases, not increases, over time. Compare to today where it seems like 90% of projects are totally premined with the founders starting with the majority or all of the tokens that will ever exist.

Wow, great summary. You just convinced me to buy more DCR Smiley
I'm sure others will follow too. I would immediately merit you but I'm all out of them. Once I receive some you are on my list
Activity: 1181
Merit: 259
Hi! I'm just looking at DEcred as a whole. How do they intend to identify themselves as they continue to grow?
 I'm thinking with the limited supply and also the fact that most supply will be tired up in tickets at any one time, that it'll be a store of wealth coin.

Yes I think a store of wealth. The Decred team is made up of ex bitcoin coders that got frustrated with the drama and lack of progress with BTC. They built Decred to be what they wish bitcoin would be, as some else wrote:

Only project with functional on-chain governance. Did the first ever on-chain user activated hard fork.

Everyone says this, but fantastic devs. Ours include the developers of btcsuite, & also the author of the atomic swap code used by btc and ltc recently.

Unique hybrid PoS/PoW system that is extremely resilient to attacks. Making a 51% attack extremely difficult & a minority hard fork nearly impossible for example.

Direct PoS. No masternodes or DPoS where you will inevitably run into issues like the "Lisk elite"

The project is relatively young, just over 2 years since launch. So it's still getting in early.

Great, active community, that is distributed pretty evenly around the world.

Big war chest in the community treasury (something like $30-40 million currently).

Support from many influential community members including Charlie Lee & Jimmy Song.

At least 2 competing ASICs coming out next year... should be an indicator of where some see this project going.

Also, initial distribution. I'd argue that Decred had one of the fairest distributions in crypto. Decred founders started with 4% of total supply (which they paid for w/ cash into the community fund) and airdropped another 4% to crypto community members. The PoS % of new DCR is purposefilly set low so the relative power of holders decreases, not increases, over time. Compare to today where it seems like 90% of projects are totally premined with the founders starting with the majority or all of the tokens that will ever exist.
Activity: 238
Merit: 10
legendary
Activity: 1164
Merit: 1010
Any recommendations on which staking pool to use? or does it not really make a big difference

Doesn't really make a difference. You can see various pools' stats here: https://dcrstats.com/ (bottom of page).
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Any recommendations on which staking pool to use? or does it not really make a big difference
Activity: 896
Merit: 289
Twitter: @BTY_11073
Soon it will be possible to trade to trade pair MNX/DCR thru Atomic swap  Wink it is good for both communities. Wink
Well, soon Mixexcoin will be able to use Atomic Swap, allowing MNX/DCR transactions.
I appreciate the wonderful Minexcoix team. Cheesy
Activity: 728
Merit: 259
Soon it will be possible to trade to trade pair MNX/DCR thru Atomic swap  Wink it is good for both communities. Wink
Activity: 882
Merit: 252
Activity: 735
Merit: 17
Politeia Challenge - Part 2 - Effective Software Distribution w/ Donald Adu-Poku (@dnldd)

Decred is an autonomous digital currency. With a hybrid consensus system, it is built to be a decentralized, sustainable, and self-ruling currency where stakeholders make the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq7tSIBHty4
Activity: 182
Merit: 7
Activity: 137
Hi,
how to move some coins from one account to another within the same wallet?

https://docs.decred.org/advanced/program-options/
Says there should be a command like "move".
But dcrctl quits with "Unrecognized command 'move'".

I'm running 1.1.0 from https://github.com/decred/decred-release/releases.

thanks in advance.

freeapp

A fork has happened after the version you are using and it's probably stucked in the fork block.
First download the latest version on decred.org
Are you using decrediton?

Thanks.
i will upgrade to 1.1.2 and no i'm not using decredition.

freeapp

Try to get decrediton, paymetheus wallet is gonna be discontinued soon, we are talking about money, better do things properly. Cheesy

i'm old school Wink i'm using the command line only wallet...
Activity: 8
Hi,
how to move some coins from one account to another within the same wallet?

https://docs.decred.org/advanced/program-options/
Says there should be a command like "move".
But dcrctl quits with "Unrecognized command 'move'".

I'm running 1.1.0 from https://github.com/decred/decred-release/releases.

thanks in advance.

freeapp

A fork has happened after the version you are using and it's probably stucked in the fork block.
First download the latest version on decred.org
Are you using decrediton?

Thanks.
i will upgrade to 1.1.2 and no i'm not using decredition.

freeapp

Try to get decrediton, paymetheus wallet is gonna be discontinued soon, we are talking about money, better do things properly. Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: