Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][EPC][Scrypt] Experiencecoin-The coin geared towards gamers-reRelease - page 11. (Read 63650 times)

Activity: 330
Merit: 0
legendary
Activity: 2548
Merit: 1073
How did you discover this anomoly? I am only curious.

At some point a chain appeared on the network that completely wrong.

The re-release of EPC and current chain we have started around the start of 2015, roughly 33 months ago.

We have 1 min blocks, so lets say that the network was mining 100% of the time, at a perfect rate of 1 min per block.

Then the BEST case scenario for the total EPC produced, where the network was at 100% efficiency would be:

33 x 30 (days) x 24 * 60 = 1,425,600

However, during the past 3 years, there we times were only one or two people were mining, or not at all, as a result that number would be lower.

The correct Chain is used by the main nodes, and the two exchanges that host EPC. Currently that is at: 1,077,424

The longest chain on the network is roughly 2,700,000, to create a chain of this length would be impossible, in our timeline, since it would require over 5 years of mining at 1 block per minute.

These types of things are just part of the territory, people trying to attack, undermine, and exploit the network. This is not only with EPC but with all crypto coins.  As our network grows, it will be more difficult as more correct nodes will far exceed bad ones.

Thats interesting Smiley
So somebody (something tells me those are Russian community guys playing around, but I might be mistaken) has modified the code to decrease the block time, then mined it in their local closed sub-network for some time, then publish the new chain to the open network? Is this a possible scenario, or do you think something different was done?

Wouldn't normal clients always automatically reject the blocks mined by modified clients, regardless of the amount of the modified nodes in the network? Or if the modified clients make more than 51%, all the other clients will accept the malicious chain (seems unlikely..)?

This is just for my info (and for our common crypto-education), it was always an interesting topic to me, but I never had a time (nor the willingness to mess with other's projects and others' money) to experiment on this Smiley
OK, I am glad that the update will fix that. My wallet so far has not shown any chains longer than what prohashing shows.
Activity: 592
Merit: 503
workingForBitcoins.com

At some point a chain appeared on the network that completely wrong.

The re-release of EPC and current chain we have started around the start of 2015, roughly 33 months ago.

We have 1 min blocks, so lets say that the network was mining 100% of the time, at a perfect rate of 1 min per block.

Then the BEST case scenario for the total EPC produced, where the network was at 100% efficiency would be:

33 x 30 (days) x 24 * 60 = 1,425,600

However, during the past 3 years, there we times were only one or two people were mining, or not at all, as a result that number would be lower.

The correct Chain is used by the main nodes, and the two exchanges that host EPC. Currently that is at: 1,077,424

The longest chain on the network is roughly 2,700,000, to create a chain of this length would be impossible, in our timeline, since it would require over 5 years of mining at 1 block per minute.

These types of things are just part of the territory, people trying to attack, undermine, and exploit the network. This is not only with EPC but with all crypto coins.  As our network grows, it will be more difficult as more correct nodes will far exceed bad ones.

Activity: 75
Merit: 7

Math, such height is not possible right now for the features of experience coin.
It's not possible to be at such height without a malicious manipulation of the source code.

OK, I personally use a VPN proxy, because my internet is behind a firewall, that would make ip banning useless, also I don't think banning ips would be necessary, as the longest chain is always the default chosen by the wallets.

Longest chain is valid if it's not a fake chain, but what I'm trying to say is that there are people in the network that try to manipulate it. Not sure why they do, I'm just warning you and users to skip such fake chains for now.
The invalid chain has like 2700000 blocks, which is of course invalid if you do the math.

This won't be an issue with the new wallet though.
Block 1077346 is ok? or wrong?

We don't have much control either way. It is the nature of a decentralized network to resist control by anyone.

We do as we know which is a valid chain for this project and which is not. We follow the valid chain and ban the misbehaving ones.

OK, I personally use a VPN proxy, because my internet is behind a firewall, that would make ip banning useless, also I don't think banning ips would be necessary, as the longest chain is always the default chosen by the wallets.

We don't have much control either way. It is the nature of a decentralized network to resist control by anyone.

We do as we know which is a valid chain for this project and which is not. We follow the valid chain and ban the misbehaving ones.

Yes that's the right chain. You can safely ban everything that's much higher than that. You can always check the right height here https://prohashing.com/explorer/Experiencecoin/

Activity: 1
Activity: 420
Merit: 31
very nice logo (futurist, gamer graphic)
The blocks went passed that one. I think the wallets automatically keep people on the main chain, that is the reason for orphaned blocks, the valid chain is always the longest one.
Thank you for working on this project. The new artwork is excellent. I am very excited for the wallet update.  Grin
If you are NOT on Block 1076963. You are On the Wrong chain! All chains that are not in-synced with the main chain, are being removed from the network when 3.0 is released.

Yeah, please also ban any chain which doesn't head at 1076963 as they are wrong chains.

To ban a peer, go to Debug window and select peers, right click on a peer and ban.
workingForBitcoins.com
If you are NOT on Block 1076963. You are On the Wrong chain! All chains that are not in-synced with the main chain, are being removed from the network when 3.0 is released.
workingForBitcoins.com
EPC New Splash Screen

I was thinking about the ticker conflict, and I think we could possibly list EPC as EXC or something on coinmarketcap, while keeping the ticker EPC on the exchanges. I know of some coins that do this.

I think we can keep EPC, it's an older project and after the upgrade when we're going to submit a request, we'll ask for that name so it should be sorted out.
I was thinking about the ticker conflict, and I think we could possibly list EPC as EXC or something on coinmarketcap, while keeping the ticker EPC on the exchanges. I know of some coins that do this.
Pages:
Jump to: