Author

Topic: [ANN][KMD][dPoW] Komodo - An Open, Composable Smart Chain Platform, Secured by B - page 505. (Read 1192000 times)

Activity: 876
Merit: 500
AikaPool admin
What BlockExplorer shows right data now?
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
I was wondering, how can I backup my Iguana wallet? In case it gets corrupted, would it be possible to reinstall it and get inside only with the seed without importing any .dat files for instance?
the seed is the backup for the main address,which is the only address a wallet would have unless you importprivkey or generate new addresses.

The latter operation is something you need to do by command line and if you are importing privkeys then the assumption is that you have backup of it.

so, for most people most of the time, all that is needed is the seed

Thanks for your prompt reply jl777, good stuff!
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1134
Thanks for this. I admit that the frustration of the latest BTC forking got me wound up and that overflowed to my comments. I realise James has had bigger issues at hand with the recent bugs. If it's worth attacking then it must be a threat to someone which is positive.

One other issue, when/if Bitcoin Unlimited is deemed a failure, how does that affect the notary servers going forward?

I can break these down

Brands:
 - SuperNET
 - Agama
 - Komodo

Not brands:
 - EasyDEX (the shapeshift like exchange service in Agama)
 - Full/Native/basilisk Mode (i.e. blockchain download or no blockchain download in Agama)

The 'Mode' situation has been further simplified as we disabled 'Full Mode' from all the coins that have 'Native Mode'. So what the end user has to decide is simple: a) download the blockchain, or b) don't download it. We can illustrate the difference with icons and simple description.

SuperNET = the main brand, the organization behind the other brands

Agama and Komodo are/will be endorsed semi-independent brands. They have a loose connection to the parent SuperNET organization.
The effect on notaries if BU fails is they have to run the following commands:

cd ~/BitcoinUnlimited/src; ./bitcoin-cli stop; cd ~/bitcoin/src; ./bitcoind &

Activity: 247
Merit: 250
Thanks for this. I admit that the frustration of the latest BTC forking got me wound up and that overflowed to my comments. I realise James has had bigger issues at hand with the recent bugs. If it's worth attacking then it must be a threat to someone which is positive.

One other issue, when/if Bitcoin Unlimited is deemed a failure, how does that affect the notary servers going forward?

[/quote]

I can break these down

Brands:
 - SuperNET
 - Agama
 - Komodo

Not brands:
 - Full/Native/basilisk Mode (i.e. blockchain download or no blockchain download in Agama)

The 'Mode' situation has been further simplified as we disabled 'Full Mode' from all the coins that have 'Native Mode'. So what the end user has to decide is simple: a) download the blockchain, or b) don't download it. We can illustrate the difference with icons and simple description.

Agama and Komodo are/will be endorsed semi-independent brands. They have a loose connection to the parent SuperNET organization.
[/quote]
legendary
hmmmmm Then I probably made loss

https://www.mynxt.info/asset/7441230892853180965

Thought the asset is running supernet

Issuer   NXT-MRBN-8DFH-PFMK-A4DBM
SuperNET

I learn from mistakes
It was issued and in the pipeline, but never matured to be ready even for doing a sharedrop, let alone sales. I believe the project sold some assets to private investors on an occasional basis, but if you look at the asset distribution, it is mostly in its initial capitalization phase

Activity: 406
hmmmmm Then I probably made loss

https://www.mynxt.info/asset/7441230892853180965

Thought the asset is running supernet

Issuer   NXT-MRBN-8DFH-PFMK-A4DBM
SuperNET

I learn from mistakes
legendary
Finally got a version that is able to resync and also resume. Off by one in the same code due to different contexts having slightly different datasets.

Not exactly the type of thing to be dealing with after an allnighter...

Anyway, now notaries have a version that can resume the mainchain, it is a matter to get the blocks going regular again and then we will reenable exchange deposits when the evil chain has dissipated.

legendary
hi jl777 I would like to know if it is this
Asset still exists = omnigames = Or is it dead
I dont believe omnigames was ever distributed, at least it was still in the incubation stage, so there shouldnt have been any assets available. I have not heard from the project leader in a while
Activity: 406
hi jl777 I would like to know if it is this
Asset still exists = omnigames = Or is it dead
Activity: 50
Merit: 10
How excited are you guys? I'm losing my mind over here.

why you losing your mind here dear relaxx and try to undestand its properly with cool mind and with full consentration over it.
legendary
In order to avoid any lost funds, we asked exchanges to stop deposits/withdraws while the mainchain gets back to normal.

I expect things to get resolved today, thank you for your patience

legendary
Now that we are past the hardfork block 246748, I updated to a version that hardcodes that.

If your node went past that block, you will need to resync. If not, just update and it will get onto the mainchain.

This time around could have gone a bit smoother, I had botched the initial hotfix. If I   didnt, we could have avoided resyncing. Unfortunately, at middle of the night hours it wasnt possible to get the code reviewed so I had to do the best given the time available (< 1hr).

As I wrote last week, it is not possible to live in an attack free environment. If you rely on that, then the first attack and there is trouble. We are getting better at dealing with these attacks, our immune system is getting better, but we can still do better. And we will.

Due to needing resync, basilisk mode will be spotty for some hours. Best to not do any large transactions until it is announced mainchain is like clockwork again and evilchain is gone
Activity: 868
Merit: 500
Is there any truth to the rumor that KMD is going to be listed on polo soon?

Do you seriously believe that polo announces the coins that they are going to release beforehand?

It is possible the information leaked to the public, I saw the news that Stratis is going to be listed on Poloniex a day before but did not take the news serious until I woke up the second day and found out the rumour was true
Activity: 784
Merit: 253
Set Your Ideas Free
Iguana, Agama, Komodo, SuperNet, EasyDEX, Full mode, Native mode, Basilisk.....jeez you guys are really making things confusing for newcomers. Do you really want anyone to simply use this?

What might be a developer's wet dream of features and names is most likely confusing the hell out of potential users.

I can break these down

Brands:
 - SuperNET
 - Agama
 - Komodo

Not brands:

Activity: 392
Also a zero-knowledge privacy protection coin!
legendary
Mainchain is paused as it tries to find consensus to move forward. So without tx being possible it seems relatively safe, but this means basilisk mode wont work until the chain gets going again.

Activity: 148
Merit: 102
Is there any truth to the rumor that KMD is going to be listed on polo soon?

Do you seriously believe that polo announces the coins that they are going to release beforehand?

Meh, they do on occasion but by the time i notice(for me at least) i always come home to missing the train. Nothing like a hot release to sell high and rebuyin low when it stabilizes.
Remember ZEC being like 3x btc on release not long ago? Yeah, completely missed that train being out of town with ZEC just sitting there. Still kicking myself over that screwup.
legendary
As you know we are offering bounties for finding security issues in the code base. Approx 16 hours ago, we received a vulnerability report.

Within 6 hours we had verified it, developed and tested a fix and started updating the notary nodes. In order to give enough time for the field to update, I set the fix to activate at 4:30 PM UTC. This was about 16 hours time and I was hoping long enough for the field to update and short enough to avoid a zeroday attack.

Unfortunately, the attacker sees the fix on github as it is open source and he deployed an attack within the last hour. I was forced to move up the activation time to 5am UTC, which is less than half an hour from now.

Exchanges have been notified, along with pools. Notaries are almost completed the update. The damage from this attack will be minimal, actually zero, as the security bounty is offset by whatever damage is done, so the total cost remains the same.

If you are running a native komodod, you need to update. The network is about to do a controlled fork.

The problem of fixing things in an open source project is a difficult problem to solve. In this case we deployed a fix within 6 hours of being notified, had everything update and still we get hit with an attack. It does feel like antivirus vs virus.

Anyway, we will get better and better and dealing with these things more efficiently, but it is much better to already have the fix deployed than getting blindsided by an attack. Next time I will set the activation time shorter to give less time for attacker to deploy. (always assume and prepare for next time, so if it happens you are ready)

Activity: 247
Iguana, Agama, Komodo, SuperNet, EasyDEX, Full mode, Native mode, Basilisk.....jeez you guys are really making things confusing for newcomers. Do you really want anyone to simply use this?

What might be a developer's wet dream of features and names is most likely confusing the hell out of potential users.

Carburetor inlet manifold, overhead camshaft gasket, turbo injectors, twin cam sprocket lifters, piston head thingy majig .... isn't this a forum for the mechanically minded? I don't think retail users will ever need to bother about this stuff, anymore than most internet users think about tcp/ip. This forum is for people who might build a retail business using komodo and speculators.

Uhh... No, actually this forum is for people to talk about bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, didn't have to be specifically about komodo. Hence, this forum has specific board with specific child board which has a lot of threads which aim is to facilitate specific coin to be discussed. But yeah, we get your point here and I must say I am quite but not completely agree with Fern, the lots of terms can be sometimes overwhelming for new users like me who usually use simple online wallet. I believe, Fern's concern originate from dev's wish to make the wallet simple for everyone (stated on the first page).

The part where I cant be completely agree with Fern is because dev has actually tried their best to help and even giving short explanation on each terms. Most of those "alien words" can be simply understood if you read the first page, right below that "make it simple" sentence.

Must say that the new website is impressive and there are good explanations for features. It was probably the name Agama that didn't inspire much confidence in me; I imagined the platform would command a more powerful and potent name that it deserves, but so be it.
Activity: 236
Merit: 100
SuperNET homepage just got updated! Read about what we are doing.

skip iguana and go for this ?
Jump to: