Author

Topic: [ANN][KMD][dPoW] Komodo - An Open, Composable Smart Chain Platform, Secured by B - page 533. (Read 1192000 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
move that crypto
Quesfion, how much would you pay for a piece of marketing that proved SuperNET believed in the immutability of the KMD blockchain, and the foundation principle of decentralisation. Would it be worth 2M kmd to make a statement to the crypto community ... Komodo & SuperNET will uphold decentralisation and have an immutable blockchain,  no matter what.

The NXT devs not rolling back the bter hack was a great statement, first time I heard andreas antonopolous mention NXT was discussing the 'no' vote, it was a great moment for NXT.
If other exchanges' wallets are not in maintenance right now, he'll probably be dumping there right now.

There is great damage to kmd today no matter what, all I'm doing is asking people to think which is least worst outcome, not from an insider perspective,  but from a future investor perspective. Rollback destroys credibility,  hacks come and go. Pick the least worst outcome, not the knee jerk one.

Quesfion, how much would you pay for a piece of marketing that proved SuperNET believed in the immutability of the KMD blockchain, and the foundation principle of decentralisation. Would it be worth 2M kmd to make a statement to the crypto community ... Komodo & SuperNET will uphold decentralisation and have an immutable blockchain,  no matter what.

The NXT devs not rolling back the bter hack was a great statement, first time I heard andreas antonopolous mention NXT was discussing the 'no' vote, it was a great moment for NXT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_bitcoin

On 6 August 2010, a major vulnerability in the bitcoin protocol was spotted. Transactions weren't properly verified before they were included in the transaction log or blockchain, which let users bypass bitcoin's economic restrictions and create an indefinite number of bitcoins. On 15 August, the vulnerability was exploited; over 184 billion bitcoins were generated in a transaction, and sent to two addresses on the network. Within hours, the transaction was spotted and erased from the transaction log after the bug was fixed and the network forked to an updated version of the bitcoin protocol. This was the only major security flaw found and exploited in bitcoin's history.
Activity: 546
Merit: 251
What is komodo 's problem? This did not happen when all the altcoins came out.
Activity: 1068
Merit: 523

If other exchanges' wallets are not in maintenance right now, he'll probably be dumping there right now.

There is great damage to kmd today no matter what, all I'm doing is asking people to think which is least worst outcome, not from an insider perspective,  but from a future investor perspective. Rollback destroys credibility,  hacks come and go. Pick the least worst outcome, not the knee jerk one.
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
a few people trying to get almost free KMD on cryptox and cryptopia right now , so their BTC will be gone,

And there is 0.15BTC support at Cryptopia and 0.013 at CE.  Nothing really.

Rollback is crypto suicide though, even one block, the precedent can never be removed.

Do a deal, the hacker found a bug, he deserves a bounty, otherwise we all lose everything. Ko odo will never rea h potential if immutability is lost today.

this is not a ROLLback per se, this is an attacker CAUGHT IN THE ACT and the loot ripped off his back as he is trying to escape ...
apart from being a malicious attack, the bug is the same as the bitcoin bug way back then
Activity: 632
this is not a rollback to bail out some exchange that got hacked.

the attacker has generated another 27 blocks in the last hour and at this pace he would generate much more than 10 million KMD by the 236000 block with the original bugfix trigger.

It is a bug that was not found by a white hat, but by someone who repeatedly exploits the same bug over and over.

I did not block the first exploit of the bug, that can be considered a bounty. But beyond that, it is like handing in the same thing over and over again expecting to be paid for it.

I never said the code is the law. The miner reward has been stated to be 3 KMD per block, not 100003 KMD. It is a chain stoppage due to a critical bug. People have relied on 3 KMD per block as mining reward, so to allow 100003 KMD as a reward would violate things a lot more than stopping the chain at 235300.

I will use common sense for this. Also, in the future if there is some other critical bug that dramatically changes what everyone's understanding is, then I will likely fix it and stop the chain, etc.

10M is a big bounty, but rollback is worse imo, but that's just my opinion. I respect your call James, just think you'll regret it later if it ends up damaging SuperNET fatally, which it easily can. Trolls will be attached like barnacles to this 'rollback' forever now. I'm not selling though
the attacker is generating half the blocks now. that is pace of 3 million KMD per hour and would be for another 6 hours or so. So we are looking at more like 25 to 30 million KMD. and most all of this was AFTER I announce the chain would be stopped and rolled back to that point.

not sure how this is different from the bug that allowed to create bitcoins. allowing such coin creation to be upheld is not any immutability, but a total violation of coin emission.

That's too much for a bounty, but rollback is too much,

Time to make a deal with the attacker, otherwise everybody loses here ...

Open a dialogue ...

Not everybody as long as you had never transacted KMD beyond the block that started being exploited, you will be fine.
a few people trying to get almost free KMD on cryptox and cryptopia right now , so their BTC will be gone,
So strange, 2 accounts are actively, I would even say desperately asking to make a deal with the attacker and 10-15 are saying naah, that's OK, let's do it.

The decision was made already. There is no need to ask how much he wants. He'll get nothing.
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

the attacker has generated another 27 blocks in the last hour and at this pace he would generate much more than 10 million KMD by the 236000 block with the original bugfix trigger.

It is a bug that was not found by a white hat, but by someone who repeatedly exploits the same bug over and over.

I did not block the first exploit of the bug, that can be considered a bounty. But beyond that, it is like handing in the same thing over and over again expecting to be paid for it.

I never said the code is the law. The miner reward has been stated to be 3 KMD per block, not 100003 KMD. It is a chain stoppage due to a critical bug. People have relied on 3 KMD per block as mining reward, so to allow 100003 KMD as a reward would violate things a lot more than stopping the chain at 235300.

I will use common sense for this. Also, in the future if there is some other critical bug that dramatically changes what everyone's understanding is, then I will likely fix it and stop the chain, etc.

10M is a big bounty, but rollback is worse imo, but that's just my opinion. I respect your call James, just think you'll regret it later if it ends up damaging SuperNET fatally, which it easily can. Trolls will be attached like barnacles to this 'rollback' forever now. I'm not selling though
the attacker is generating half the blocks now. that is pace of 3 million KMD per hour and would be for another 6 hours or so. So we are looking at more like 25 to 30 million KMD. and most all of this was AFTER I announce the chain would be stopped and rolled back to that point.

not sure how this is different from the bug that allowed to create bitcoins. allowing such coin creation to be upheld is not any immutability, but a total violation of coin emission.

Open a dialogue ...

Not everybody as long as you had never transacted KMD beyond the block that started being exploited, you will be fine.
I don't see what all this fuss is about.
It's either you let the coin die with someone generating as much as he wants, and of cause let the devs go with all BTC's
or rollback 200 blocks when everyone here knows not to move anything.

200 blocks out of 235000 is nothing, especially when it was posted real-time.

There is no alternative. Restart at 235300.
Good job devs catching it as it is.

Rollback is crypto suicide though, even one block, the precedent can never be removed.

Do a deal, the hacker found a bug, he deserves a bounty, otherwise we all lose everything. Komodo will never reach potential if immutability is lost today.
Activity: 545
Merit: 500
I suspect the answer, but wouldn't hurt to ask. Would it be fare to use ICO funds to buy up equal amount of KMD attacker dumped (if any)?

2639 BTC were raised. At ICO price of 1 KMD = 0.00012909 BTC, If 10 million KMDs are generated by hacker that amounts to 1290 BTC.

Of cource the above calcs are approximates but still half of the Raised BTC will be gone. Not a good option.

Why not make a deal with hacker, he keeps 2M and returns 8M, and then no rollback.

@hacker, you must be reading, you're going to get nothing with a rollback, make an offer

You are overestimating the impact of rollback. No one is going to talk about in a week. it is not contentious like ETH hard fork.

Open a dialogue ...
I don't see what all this fuss is about.
It's either you let the coin die with someone generating as much as he wants, and of cause let the devs go with all BTC's
or rollback 200 blocks when everyone here knows not to move anything.

200 blocks out of 235000 is nothing, especially when it was posted real-time.

There is no alternative. Restart at 235300.
Good job devs catching it as it is.
Rollback is the only option. And lets not worry about KMD Classic. Because that classic chain will have billions of KMD by end of week. 99% of them owned by the attacker. Good luck joining that chain.
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
I suspect the answer, but wouldn't hurt to ask. Would it be fare to use ICO funds to buy up equal amount of KMD attacker dumped (if any)?

2639 BTC were raised. At ICO price of 1 KMD = 0.00012909 BTC, If 10 million KMDs are generated by hacker that amounts to 1290 BTC.

Of cource the above calcs are approximates but still half of the Raised BTC will be gone. Not a good option.

Why not make a deal with hacker, he keeps 2M and returns 8M, and then no rollback.

@hacker, you must be reading, you're going to get nothing with a rollback, make an offer

I vote rollback.
People, please use 2FA on your exchange accounts. Somebody was trying to login my account but i have 2FA, so they failed.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1134

On a side note, what a good day in crypto. All the alts are rising. Lets fix the bug and join the rally that has taken all good alts by storm.

Jump to: