Author

Topic: [ANN][KMD][dPoW] Komodo - An Open, Composable Smart Chain Platform, Secured by B - page 534. (Read 1192000 times)

Activity: 1068
Merit: 523
this is not a rollback to bail out some exchange that got hacked.

the attacker has generated another 27 blocks in the last hour and at this pace he would generate much more than 10 million KMD by the 236000 block with the original bugfix trigger.

It is a bug that was not found by a white hat, but by someone who repeatedly exploits the same bug over and over.

I did not block the first exploit of the bug, that can be considered a bounty. But beyond that, it is like handing in the same thing over and over again expecting to be paid for it.

I never said the code is the law. The miner reward has been stated to be 3 KMD per block, not 100003 KMD. It is a chain stoppage due to a critical bug. People have relied on 3 KMD per block as mining reward, so to allow 100003 KMD as a reward would violate things a lot more than stopping the chain at 235300.

I will use common sense for this. Also, in the future if there is some other critical bug that dramatically changes what everyone's understanding is, then I will likely fix it and stop the chain, etc.

10M is a big bounty, but rollback is worse imo, but that's just my opinion. I respect your call James, just think you'll regret it later if it ends up damaging SuperNET fatally, which it easily can. Trolls will be attached like barnacles to this 'rollback' forever now. I'm not selling though
Activity: 980
Merit: 502
Agreed. Let's not make it political. There was a bug. Rollback is the best option.
Activity: 111
Merit: 10
I suspect the answer, but wouldn't hurt to ask. Would it be fare to use ICO funds to buy up equal amount of KMD attacker dumped (if any)?
Activity: 1068
Merit: 523
We all know that immutability is the golden rule of blockchains, believing in that doesn't make you a troll.

Rollback once, shame on you ...
Rollback twice ... there wont be one, crypto die hards wont be around ... I thought SuperNET was champion of decentralisation?

Edit, sorry to sound critical jl777, I've been a big supporter of SN since forever, just shocked at how fast rollback is invoked when better options exist.
Activity: 111
Merit: 10
Makes me laugh looking at the explorer now, so much desperate moves. LOL

You should've just contact devs white-hat. I am confident most of the people here will approve what devs are doing. And as JL said, it's technically stopping entire system, not rolling it back.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1134
this is not a rollback to bail out some exchange that got hacked.

the attacker has generated another 27 blocks in the last hour and at this pace he would generate much more than 10 million KMD by the 236000 block with the original bugfix trigger.

It is a bug that was not found by a white hat, but by someone who repeatedly exploits the same bug over and over.

I did not block the first exploit of the bug, that can be considered a bounty. But beyond that, it is like handing in the same thing over and over again expecting to be paid for it.

I never said the code is the law. The miner reward has been stated to be 3 KMD per block, not 100003 KMD. It is a chain stoppage due to a critical bug. People have relied on 3 KMD per block as mining reward, so to allow 100003 KMD as a reward would violate things a lot more than stopping the chain at 235300.

I will use common sense for this. Also, in the future if there is some other critical bug that dramatically changes what everyone's understanding is, then I will likely fix it and stop the chain, etc.

Activity: 545
Merit: 500
This was a bug in the code, actually it was code that was missing and allowed a vout to be created that wasnt constrained. It is closer to the billions of bitcoins bug.

I announced the block that will be rolled back to, pretty much in realtime, so it is more a stopping the chain at 235300 than rolling back. of course a few hundred blocks were generated during the time to make the fix. so yes, technically it is a rollback of a few hours, of the blocks that happened after 235300 was announced.

Let us not make a political circus out of this. It was a bug that was abused.

The attack started about 36 hours ago during the weekend. We detected it about 6 hours ago and had a fix that would go into effect at 236000. At that point the attacker would have had coins, but it would have been absorbable.

Then the attacker must have seen that things will be cutoff at 236000 and he went wild. He started a high frequency attack and started to move funds, even some z-transactions.

There were 15 blocks prior to 235300 with the illicit KMD in vout1 and the new version prevents any block with any tx that spends any of these 15 as invalid. Unfortunately, this will require a resync of the chain as the local DB has invalid blocks in it and even with the -rewind, komodod will be complaining.

If you are running native komodod, you need to update and resync. delete the usual blockchain files and komodostate in the ~/.komodo folder. Make sure to not delete your wallet.

The simplest is to leave the illicit KMD in the utxo where they are, frozen. So there wont be any dilution due to this.

+1 to the decision to roll back.
Dont listen to trolls here. They may be sockpuppet of the attacker. Rolling back chain few hours is no big deal.  Those not happy with the Dev's decision can move on.

and stupidity and greed win again
wtf

Stupidity? I dont think so.
Greed? Absolutely yes. Isn't that the whole point of investing in cryptos including bitcoin? Do you have some other motives? If you want a Do nothing approach you will feel better in Litecoin than KMD.
is that the same bug as Zcoin had ?

u are freaking kidding me  Angry

anything Z related seems to turn into crap

Zcoin is doing very good at the moment. The bug was fixed ASAP and the damage was contained. ZCOIN is at 0.03BTC/XZC at the moment. Not bad for a coin whose price was 0.0004BTC/XZC when the bug was found. In fact the bug discovery nailed the reason for downtrend in coins price and lead to a massive rally of 900% post bug fixing.

Do not fall for it
they are only up as they have some huge chinese MLM guy behind them throwing more money than ideas
u really wanna end up like that

good luck eh
(there is more important things than $$ in starting a coin like this - value will follow trust !!!)

I dont need luck. I can identify opportunities like I did with Zcoin and currently looking at 600% gains on my Zcoin. The rally will not stop here. it will continue till the new Algo MTP is launched. waiting for 0.08 XZC/BTC before I sell. and I wont have to wait too long for that price. maybe a few weeks.
Activity: 236
Merit: 100
This was a bug in the code, actually it was code that was missing and allowed a vout to be created that wasnt constrained. It is closer to the billions of bitcoins bug.

I announced the block that will be rolled back to, pretty much in realtime, so it is more a stopping the chain at 235300 than rolling back. of course a few hundred blocks were generated during the time to make the fix. so yes, technically it is a rollback of a few hours, of the blocks that happened after 235300 was announced.

The attack started about 36 hours ago during the weekend. We detected it about 6 hours ago and had a fix that would go into effect at 236000. At that point the attacker would have had coins, but it would have been absorbable.

Then the attacker must have seen that things will be cutoff at 236000 and he went wild. He started a high frequency attack and started to move funds, even some z-transactions.

There were 15 blocks prior to 235300 with the illicit KMD in vout1 and the new version prevents any block with any tx that spends any of these 15 as invalid. Unfortunately, this will require a resync of the chain as the local DB has invalid blocks in it and even with the -rewind, komodod will be complaining.

If you are running native komodod, you need to update and resync. delete the usual blockchain files and komodostate in the ~/.komodo folder. Make sure to not delete your wallet.

The simplest is to leave the illicit KMD in the utxo where they are, frozen. So there wont be any dilution due to this.

Dont listen to trolls here. They may be sockpuppet of the attacker. Rolling back chain few hours is no big deal.  Those not happy with the Dev's decision can move on.

and stupidity and greed win again
wtf

Zcoin is doing very good at the moment. The bug was fixed ASAP and the damage was contained. ZCOIN is at 0.03BTC/XZC at the moment. Not bad for a coin whose price was 0.0004BTC/XZC when the bug was found. In fact the bug discovery nailed the reason for downtrend in coins price and lead to a massive rally of 900% post bug fixing.

Do not fall for it
they are only up as they have some huge chinese MLM guy behind them throwing more money than ideas
u really wanna end up like that

good luck eh
(there is more important things than $$ in starting a coin like this - value will follow trust !!!)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
move that crypto

you are nutz
do NOT roll back - does not matter how many blocks !!

this is ETH and the bailout all over again !
do NOT be greedy - let run as is - and burn supply after !!!

(should have learned from Zcoin mistakes !!)

How is this different from when Bitcoin was in beta and they did a hardfork to fix the bug that allowed someone to generate millions of BTC?

How much KMD was transacted on the chain since block 235200 anyways?  Maybe about a dozen non-miner, non-attacker transactions?

you are nutz
do NOT roll back - does not matter how many blocks !!

this is ETH and the bailout all over again !
do NOT be greedy - let run as is - and burn supply after !!!

(should have learned from Zcoin mistakes !!)
Activity: 144

A rollback for komodo now becomes the Dash 'premine' troll fest forever though, is it worth it jl777?

Rollback violates core crypto prinicipal, I think only do for catastrophic loss, like DAO.
Activity: 518

Could be hard fork to fix bug, rollback is suicide ...

Ok good point there.  I don't know anything about rollbacks, except with ETH, but it does seem like a bad idea, generally.
Activity: 144
If we don't roll back we are only devaluing the whole ecosystem...How many coins do we think he/she got?

If an equivalent amount is burnt from the dev premine it's basically paying the attacker a bug bounty from dev funds, all other investors are no worse off.

Rollback is thermonuclear option, it can KILL komodo and SuperNET today!

Paying a bounty to a guy who found dangerous bug is well worth it IMO

+1

This is the way guys, burn same amou t attacker got from dev funds!

Rollback will never be forgotten, but a bug bounty ... no one would remember in 6 months.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1134

Activity: 405
Merit: 250
Rollback is a must.

Rollback will kill Komodo and SuperNET, we all know that, we're not too BIG to fail like Ethereum was.

Think carefully @jl777!

Bittrex says the wallet is shut down for for the "hard fork", so I don't think there is any more discussion to be had and it's a done deal.

Could be hard fork to fix bug, rollback is suicide ...
Activity: 518
Rollback is a must.

Rollback will kill Komodo and SuperNET, we all know that, we're not too BIG to fail like Ethereum was.

Think carefully @jl777!

Bittrex says the wallet is shut down for for the "hard fork", so I don't think there is any more discussion to be had and it's a done deal.
Jump to: