Author

Topic: [ANN][KMD][dPoW] Komodo - An Open, Composable Smart Chain Platform, Secured by B - page 531. (Read 1192000 times)

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_bitcoin

On 6 August 2010, a major vulnerability in the bitcoin protocol was spotted. Transactions weren't properly verified before they were included in the transaction log or blockchain, which let users bypass bitcoin's economic restrictions and create an indefinite number of bitcoins. On 15 August, the vulnerability was exploited; over 184 billion bitcoins were generated in a transaction, and sent to two addresses on the network. Within hours, the transaction was spotted and erased from the transaction log after the bug was fixed and the network forked to an updated version of the bitcoin protocol. This was the only major security flaw found and exploited in bitcoin's history.

The highlighted portion is essentially what has happened. For those that dont understand that a coin's emission and supply are the MOST important things for people to trust, I am not sure what to say. A coin that is allowed to be created out of thin air would lose a lot more trust than stopping the chain at an announced block in realtime and then doing what you said you would do

With btc incident there was no way to burn 184 billion coins, so rollback was only choice, but in kmd case there is another option

Why can't you fix coin emission problem, but instead of rollback negotiate a fair bounty for the hacker. In return he sends jl777 his excess falsely created coins which get burnt. Then equivalent number coins that hacker keeps is burnt from dev premine funds. Overall effect on coin supply is zero, emission bug fixed, hacker gets a bounty paid from dev premine coins. Much better solution. How can you unscramble hacker dumping of coins that will soon not exist after rollback? The rollback option is far more trouble.
Activity: 676
Merit: 250
BEGIN OF THE END:: ~the fox is in your coop~/~  Undecided  Undecided & you leaved him come inside!!!  Lips sealed  Lips sealed  Lips sealed - only one here is wise of it. ~ YOU KNOW WHOM! ~ the hxx0r ~ win as a friend and you win it all. but abuse the talent and take advantage he is not happy. ~ DEV WHAT NOW??

it a test?! a test for our. you pass it? or no?

~~~~

IF ROLLBACK ~><~ death ~><~ of supernet!! - ~ what dev chose? ~> doom (rollback) or trust?!!? ~~

On 6 August 2010, a major vulnerability in the bitcoin protocol was spotted. Transactions weren't properly verified before they were included in the transaction log or blockchain, which let users bypass bitcoin's economic restrictions and create an indefinite number of bitcoins. On 15 August, the vulnerability was exploited; over 184 billion bitcoins were generated in a transaction, and sent to two addresses on the network. Within hours, the transaction was spotted and erased from the transaction log after the bug was fixed and the network forked to an updated version of the bitcoin protocol. This was the only major security flaw found and exploited in bitcoin's history.

The highlighted portion is essentially what has happened. For those that dont understand that a coin's emission and supply are the MOST important things for people to trust, I am not sure what to say. A coin that is allowed to be created out of thin air would lose a lot more trust than stopping the chain at an announced block in realtime and then doing what you said you would do

Your decision is best for the long run
legendary
Activity: 1590
Merit: 1002
this is not a rollback to bail out some exchange that got hacked.

the attacker has generated another 27 blocks in the last hour and at this pace he would generate much more than 10 million KMD by the 236000 block with the original bugfix trigger.

It is a bug that was not found by a white hat, but by someone who repeatedly exploits the same bug over and over.

I did not block the first exploit of the bug, that can be considered a bounty. But beyond that, it is like handing in the same thing over and over again expecting to be paid for it.

I never said the code is the law. The miner reward has been stated to be 3 KMD per block, not 100003 KMD. It is a chain stoppage due to a critical bug. People have relied on 3 KMD per block as mining reward, so to allow 100003 KMD as a reward would violate things a lot more than stopping the chain at 235300.

I will use common sense for this. Also, in the future if there is some other critical bug that dramatically changes what everyone's understanding is, then I will likely fix it and stop the chain, etc.

Its a no brainer - roll back or its dead Komodo

Some things are no brainers, but I will take some time to wrap my head around the concept of a "stoppable chain" that seems sufficiently unique to put Komodo far apart from other altcoins.

any coin with this issue has no choice but to fix the problem - fix or die - its that simple - no extended though process required.

When a coin is in alpha-like phases - issues need to be sorted - (ETH is perhaps a good example - yes?)

legendary
Activity: 1245
Merit: 1004

the attacker has generated another 27 blocks in the last hour and at this pace he would generate much more than 10 million KMD by the 236000 block with the original bugfix trigger.

It is a bug that was not found by a white hat, but by someone who repeatedly exploits the same bug over and over.

I did not block the first exploit of the bug, that can be considered a bounty. But beyond that, it is like handing in the same thing over and over again expecting to be paid for it.

I never said the code is the law. The miner reward has been stated to be 3 KMD per block, not 100003 KMD. It is a chain stoppage due to a critical bug. People have relied on 3 KMD per block as mining reward, so to allow 100003 KMD as a reward would violate things a lot more than stopping the chain at 235300.

I will use common sense for this. Also, in the future if there is some other critical bug that dramatically changes what everyone's understanding is, then I will likely fix it and stop the chain, etc.

Some things are no brainers, but I will take some time to wrap my head around the concept of a "stoppable chain" that seems sufficiently unique to put Komodo far apart from other altcoins.
Activity: 160
Merit: 10
when will the hard fork end?
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1134
so does ZCash have the same vulnerability?
this was unique to komodo
legendary
so does ZCash have the same vulnerability?
legendary

legendary
BEGIN OF THE END:: ~the fox is in your coop~/~  Undecided  Undecided & you leaved him come inside!!!  Lips sealed  Lips sealed  Lips sealed - only one here is wise of it. ~ YOU KNOW WHOM! ~ the hxx0r ~ win as a friend and you win it all. but abuse the talent and take advantage he is not happy. ~ DEV WHAT NOW??

it a test?! a test for our. you pass it? or no?

~~~~

IF ROLLBACK ~><~ death ~><~ of supernet!! - ~ what dev chose? ~> doom (rollback) or trust?!!? ~~

Activity: 160
Merit: 10
Hard fork is on the way, all exchange paused Komodo
legendary
I support the roll back.  Arguments of blockchain immutability are irrelevant here as the attackers actions rendered the blockchain mutable

No , the attacker found an exploitable bug, and the blockchain is being rewound to undo it, but now we all can ask, 'what else would warrant rewind of blockchain', and this is the problem.

The highlighted portion is essentially what has happened. The difference is that bitcoin knew about it for over a week, while we didnt find out about it until the attack was under way. Also, I announced in realtime block 235300, which is the stopping of a chain.

If there is a bug in the future that allows to totally bypass the coin emission, then we will fix that to. You can count on that.

Who replaces the coins dumped on exchanges once the exchanges rollback the transactions?

Really would like to know who is reimbursing these deposits

dba62da3596410b35003be77c422596523710adccfdc34680c2c9112518105fe
38073d7b3c692dfba7ec801ce5173c2ca8aea5623dd624598eebea25ea675b95
1db33dfc488c7d27fc011d027ead061ee154a5083f8e95577322814037774c35
0d019ad4da5c69919873e104c3cf022d18ef310250b0deddd88c78572540ffd7
8332415911a7dfea83a721d11a3703a54926f697990da7011c55b496b025d5fd

Please do not ignore, need the books to balance to reopen the markets
sent you a pm, i didnt link your handle to cryptopia until now
Activity: 355
Merit: 250
I support the roll back.  Arguments of blockchain immutability are irrelevant here as the attackers actions rendered the blockchain mutable

No , the attacker found an exploitable bug, and the blockchain is being rewound to undo it, but now we all can ask, 'what else would warrant rewind of blockchain', and this is the problem.

The highlighted portion is essentially what has happened. The difference is that bitcoin knew about it for over a week, while we didnt find out about it until the attack was under way. Also, I announced in realtime block 235300, which is the stopping of a chain.

If there is a bug in the future that allows to totally bypass the coin emission, then we will fix that to. You can count on that.

Who replaces the coins dumped on exchanges once the exchanges rollback the transactions?

Really would like to know who is reimbursing these deposits

dba62da3596410b35003be77c422596523710adccfdc34680c2c9112518105fe
38073d7b3c692dfba7ec801ce5173c2ca8aea5623dd624598eebea25ea675b95
1db33dfc488c7d27fc011d027ead061ee154a5083f8e95577322814037774c35
0d019ad4da5c69919873e104c3cf022d18ef310250b0deddd88c78572540ffd7
8332415911a7dfea83a721d11a3703a54926f697990da7011c55b496b025d5fd

Please do not ignore, need the books to balance to reopen the markets
Activity: 784
Merit: 425
It does not matter whether or not there is an attack as an investor. It is important that our loss is met or not.  Angry
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1169
Ethereum Classic is better than Ethereum for crypto true believers...

Go away.

Why, this isn't your thread, you just a troll
Activity: 521
Merit: 522
Developer - EthicHacker - BTC enthusiast
Why hardfork at block 235300 if hacker start attack befor?
For example Block #234899:
https://kpx.io/blocks/000000948c2b637a756b30d7ac4933cf225f5fd7253b6da3d02c1aeeee2bbdab

he did not spend coins before #235300
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1169
Why hardfork at block 235300 if hacker start attack befor?
For example Block #234899:
https://kpx.io/blocks/000000948c2b637a756b30d7ac4933cf225f5fd7253b6da3d02c1aeeee2bbdab
Edit: Komodo classic would be a disaster!

Yeah OK...   because Ethereum Classic is doing so well compared to Ethereum...   Roll Eyes

Ethereum Classic is better than Ethereum for crypto true believers, I don't think kmd classic is viable, but plenty will exit kmodo over this all the same
Activity: 1068
Merit: 523
@jl777, I have made my point, I know you would be stressed by this, so I send you my best wishes!

I also point out that listening to 20 'yes' men agreeing with you is often less valuable than someone who disagrees with you. This is a HUGE moment!

I hope it all works out for the best.

Boom out
Jump to: