Author

Topic: [ANN][MOON] Mooncoin: You know where it's headed! KGW exploit FIXED 4/3/2014 - page 273. (Read 1106887 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Waiting for the new wallet  and watching all these sell walls
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
What?
Final end product.
Side (a) Side (b)

This is not official logo! Only contribution.
Activity: 118
Merit: 19
It's possible: before height X calculate hash with old function, after height X - calculate hash with new function. The reasons why other altcoins don't do it:
  (a) hard forks are very annoying and risky, especially when the coin is already widely adopted
  (b) most altcoins don't have devs competent enough to do the change.

Mooncoin is still in its infant stage, we're forced to do a hard fork soon, and we have Deacon who's able to do the change (the complexity of the change is not higher than switching to gravity well). So I think we should consider it.

Question for anyone who knows...

Why is a new wallet considered a "hard fork" in this case? I have not changed the cryptographic keys used for the currency. As far as I understand, if you are a regular user and upgrade your client, once the block height gets to the height specified in the code for using the grav well, everything just keeps humming along as intended.

The only people who will get left out are those who keep running the old code.

Is that not correct?

Yes, I believe that's correct.
Activity: 138
Merit: 100
To all the folks talking about the logos...

Branding is very important and I love what Fayens has done and is doing, but the logo we've already created is what we've been using throughout the community from the start. It's used on the faucets, on various mining pools, on existing forums and reddits, in icons, etc.

Independent artwork and creative expressions of support for the currency are AWESOME and obviously fully supported! But the official logo is done, meaning it's the logo I'm sticking with for official purposes. I also strongly urge that people refrain from promoting third party logos to pool operators or anyone else simply because it will create a lot of confusion. If folks fire up the wallet and see the official logo and then see a different logo at a mining pool, they may become uncertain about what is going on.

The official logo is both representative of physical coinage and a traditional seal of authenticity (the fluted edges) and gives a holographic impression of a 3D object within a 2D plane (the glossy, golden moon). The repeating "to the moon" around the circumference implies the trajectory of its value and the design suggests through the use of tall and narrow logotype that this is indeed a "digital" currency.

That being said, please feel free to use Fayen's logos in an expressive fashion, but the official logo is here to stay.
Activity: 138
It's possible: before height X calculate hash with old function, after height X - calculate hash with new function. The reasons why other altcoins don't do it:
  (a) hard forks are very annoying and risky, especially when the coin is already widely adopted

Mooncoin is still in its infant stage, we're forced to do a hard fork soon, and we have Deacon who's able to do the change (the complexity of the change is not higher than switching to gravity well). So I think we should consider it.

Question for anyone who knows...

Why is a new wallet considered a "hard fork" in this case? I have not changed the cryptographic keys used for the currency. As far as I understand, if you are a regular user and upgrade your client, once the block height gets to the height specified in the code for using the grav well, everything just keeps humming along as intended.

The only people who will get left out are those who keep running the old code.

Is that not correct?
Activity: 70
start from page 220 and read on up cause of what happen when moon took off wait for the new wallet thats going to be updated soon

Thanks for the pointer.  I started at 220 as suggested and read up to 230-odd.

I think I now understand the very basics of Kimoto Gravity Well and the reason for switching to it.  Am I right in thinking that in order to do this there HAS to be a fork and that the issue currently being grappled with is the migration from - or preservation of - the original blockchain?

With regard to the wallet, I understand that the original one had a virus but that the current one is OK (though I find it has problems synchronising and updating).  So I'm still not clear on the requirement for a new version.
Activity: 84
What?
Oh and change the dollarsigns into Mooncoin numbers Smiley they must be paid by mooncoins lol

fayens can u make a picture with your mooncoin with a background of the miklyway or some sort i think it will look pretty awesome. Not that I am at the least artistic. Smiley

There you go: http://mooncoin.spreadshirt.com

Awaiting confirmation from Deaconboogie!
I'm new to Mooncoin so could someone explain to me the background to the redesign of the wallet (or direct me to the page in this thread where it's discussed in detail)?

Is the current Qt wallet (0.6.4.0) considered usable?  I have noticed that it has some problems synchronising and catching up with recent transactions.

I'm also unsure why a fork is being proposed.  Again, perhaps I missed some earlier discussion.

start from page 220 and read on up cause of what happen when moon took off wait for the new wallet thats going to be updated soon  I also vote Scrypt-Adaptive-Nfactor  to be added to moon
would definitely be a game changer check my sig for link we would be the second coin to have this lets look towards the future, I bet once  the n factor will be added lets see who will make sell walls Smiley
http://www.zazzle.com/mooncoinstore

T-shirts, iphone and Samsung Galaxy cases, pins,
mugs, stickers, mousepads, bags and more stuf with
Mooncoin logo
+1 right there Smiley I love being a bag holder
Activity: 350
Oh and change the dollarsigns into Mooncoin numbers Smiley they must be paid by mooncoins lol

fayens can u make a picture with your mooncoin with a background of the miklyway or some sort i think it will look pretty awesome. Not that I am at the least artistic. Smiley
Thank you all.

Maybe like this?

This is not official logo! Only contribution.

Talking about this logo. But I guess we need devs approval if he is ok with that if you agree as well.
SOme of the art fayens made looks really cool as a picture on a Black t-shirt for instance.

http://www.zazzle.com/mooncoinstore

T-shirts, iphone and Samsung Galaxy cases, pins,
mugs, stickers, mousepads, bags and more sufs with
Mooncoin logo

AWESOME IDEA, I do like the other mooncoinlogo better the less shiny one. It gives more of a Moon feel to it, like someone else mentioned before the moonpicture you are using is brighterbthen the sun itself Smiley
Nevertheless that is brilliant work!

I would personally buy a few thins if the logo looked a bit cooler, check the artwork from fayens.

Activity: 70
I'm new to Mooncoin so could someone explain to me the background to the redesign of the wallet (or direct me to the page in this thread where it's discussed in detail)?

Is the current Qt wallet (0.6.4.0) considered usable?  I have noticed that it has some problems synchronising and catching up with recent transactions.

I'm also unsure why a fork is being proposed.  Again, perhaps I missed some earlier discussion.
I support your idea, let's hear it from Dev Smiley

Activity: 10
Merit: 0
Great news!

I have a suggestion. Guys, if you support it please speak up!

I was looking into Vertcoin lately. It looks very impressive that they gathered so vital community so quickly. Their coin uses this Scrypt-Adaptive-Nfactor, which happens to be a very powerful hype and attracts a huge crowd of ASIC haters. Their reddit base grew by 600 in just one day and continues to grow at a surprising rate.

I was thinking: as Mooncoin is going to have a hard fork soon anyway, maybe we should consider switching to Scrypt-Adaptive-Nfactor. In this case Mooncoin will be the first coin to adapt the new technology and will attract Vertcoin adepts. Also, Mooncoin will be unique in a way that it combines the hypes from two successful communities (Doge and Vertcoin).

I'm pretty sure, other altcoins are thinking in this way too, we must not stay behind.

What do you think, guys?

First of all, is it possible? If changing the algorism(Scrypt to Scrypt-Jane) without a discontinue of existing blockchain,
Why wouldn't other alt-coins do it? (I'm just wondering atm)
Will existing mooncoin mining pools be able to mine further? (without huge changes?)

It would be awsome if anybody have a clue of this!
and... i'd definately support this idea! (by this decision, mooncoin will be the king of Scrypt-Jane in a short period)

Great news! I really like your idea!

Let's make mooncoin the KING OF SCRYPT-JANE CRYPTOCOIN! (before it's too late!!)
Activity: 15
Great news!

I was looking into Vertcoin lately. It looks very impressive that they gathered so vital community so quickly. Their coin uses this Scrypt-Adaptive-Nfactor, which happens to be a very powerful hype and attracts a huge crowd of ASIC haters. Their reddit base grew by 600 in just one day and continues to grow at a surprising rate.

I was thinking: as Mooncoin is going to have a hard fork soon anyway, maybe we should consider switching to Scrypt-Adaptive-Nfactor. In this case Mooncoin will be the first coin to adapt the new technology and will attract Vertcoin adepts. Also, Mooncoin will be unique in a way that it combines the hypes from two successful communities (Doge and Vertcoin).

I'm pretty sure, other altcoins are thinking in this way too, we must not stay behind.

What do you think, guys?

First of all, is it possible? If changing the algorism(Scrypt to Scrypt-Jane) without a discontinue of existing blockchain,
Will existing mooncoin mining pools be able to mine further? (without huge changes?)

and... i'd definately support this idea! (by this decision, mooncoin will be the king of Scrypt-Jane in a short period)

Activity: 476
Any interest in a MOON super lottery?

Well its just a regular lottery, but i make it super Wink
Activity: 10
Great news!

What do you think, guys?

Activity: 15
UPDATE #2: 2/6/2014

Windows GUI status:

I am trying some different versions of Boost.

Mac GUI status:

BTCtalk forum user maxpower has agreed to provide a workable Mac wallet when the time comes. I will be providing him source code shortly.

The plan for release:

Once I have either the ability to make my own wallet or have solid resources confirmed for building the wallets, I will adjust the stating block for the Kimoto Gravity Well and release the new source to github. Right now, the starting block is 27,000 which will take too long. We'll probably give a three day "heads up" and calculate the appropriate starting block then.

The blockchain should not fork as I am using the same crypto keys for the new version.

Great news!

What do you think, guys?
Thanks for the update if there a bounty for him pretty sure we can pitch in
Jump to: