Pages:
Author

Topic: [announce] Namecoin - a distributed naming system based on Bitcoin - page 90. (Read 594428 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005
Extracting namecoins from bitcoin wallets and vice versa would not be for the faint of heart.
I've done this and recovered the coins. If you've sent namecoins to a bitcoin address you can fix it by having the owner of the bitcoin address doing this:

1. Stop bitcoind and namecoind
2. Backup the namecoin wallet.dat somewhere
3. Copy the bitcoin wallet.dat into the ~/.namecoin directory, overwiting the existing wallet.dat (make sure you did step 2)
4. start namecoind with: namecoind -rescan
5. Assuming you have the full namecoin blockchain you'll see the coins in the balance. You can then 'sendtoaddress' to a real namecoin address
6. stop namecoind
7. copy your namecoin wallet.dat backup back into ~/.namecoin
8. start namecoind with: namecoind -rescan

If you've sent bitcoin addresses to a namecoin address follow the same steps, swapping namecoin and bitcoin around. Note that it's the recipient of the original send, the owner of the address, that must do these steps. It's probably even better to do all this in a virtual machine with clean wallets so you don't accidentally overwrite your own wallet.

legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
Does this interfere with a bitcoin installation in any way, or is it 100% separate?

They should run separately since they are different ports. There have been reports of people sending bitcoins to namecoin addresses and vice versa and apparently the client did not protest .... so be careful. Extracting namecoins from bitcoin wallets and vice versa would not be for the faint of heart.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Does this interfere with a bitcoin installation in any way, or is it 100% separate?
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
Latest Windows binaries last commit: May 26, 2011
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30252547/namecoin_2011-05-26.zip
SHA-1: 3CA7B40DCE4C846FB45B1F998F66B13EBD8A4D6B

commits since last release:
2011-05-26   advance version
2011-05-26   Merge branches 'master' and 'hooks'
2011-05-26   merge hooks
2011-05-26   missed lockin constant

thanks!
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
Latest Windows binaries last commit: May 26, 2011
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30252547/namecoin_2011-05-26.zip
SHA-1: 3CA7B40DCE4C846FB45B1F998F66B13EBD8A4D6B

commits since last release:
2011-05-26   advance version
2011-05-26   Merge branches 'master' and 'hooks'
2011-05-26   merge hooks
2011-05-26   missed lockin constant
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
While mining with namecoind and poclbm, every once in a while all my miners just seem to stop connecting. What resolves this is killing namecoind.exe and restarting it again.

version "32150" on windows 7 64bit
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
DNS is case insensitive. You've just found a bug in namecoind.

Namecoind is application-neutral, i.e. it doesn't do the conversions on behalf of the applications (domains being just one of them). We need a GUI tool to do all this. However, there already are online tools that can do the conversion, collision checking and even registration for you.

As for the standard, this is from the extended specification draft:

Name field

Name is a lowercase string, which begins with d/, followed by the domain name. Namecoin enabled resolvers will append the default TLD (.bit) to the name specified here.

Example: d/example

The IDNA standard encoding is used for internationalized domain names. This means that Unicode names need to be converted to ASCII compatible encoding according to IDNA, before registration. This can be done using the idn command-line tool:
Code:
$ idn -p Nameprep ŝtelo
xn--telo-u5a

Also, only valid domain names are allowed, which means characters other than lowercase letters, numerics and dash are not allowed, as well as names longer than 63 letters and names starting with a dash.

(Note: However, since this is a measure against compatibility issues with DNS, names consisting of all numeric values and underscore can be discussed.)

Meaning, if the registered name contains Unicode characters, capital letters or symbols, it will be rejected by resolvers.
legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo

What's that worth ... a few namecoins? Anything like finding a block?
foo
Activity: 409
Merit: 250
legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo

So what's the rules with upper and lower case on domain names in the database?

Code:
$ ./namecoind name_scan d/bitcoin 1
[
    {
        "name" : "d/bitcoin",
        "value" : "webpagedeveloper.me/namecoin",
        "txid" : "ab1207bd605af57ed0b5325ac94d19578cff3bce668ebe8dda2f42a00b001f5d",
        "expires_in" : 3918
    }
]

Code:
$ ./namecoind name_scan d/Bitcoin 1
[
    {
        "name" : "d/abermud",
        "value" : "3e28f697d16264d7ca61058872846f673285d469aec66f1f04f0d84d364bf931RESERVED",
        "txid" : "77dc51b31aea6c57d072299c8f236975a7cfad34fc782844a7e3d4f729ae2aa0",
        "expires_in" : 11090
    }
]

Seems like "bitcoin" and "Bitcoin are treated as two different names, is that correct?

It will be pointless if you are allowed every variant in the upper/lower case space of even a single word.

e.g.

bitcoin
Bitcoin
bItcoin
biTcoin
bitCoin
bitcOin
bitcoIn
bitcoiN

and then many other permutations ...
legendary
I started mining with a new wallet, and got five orphans in a row. Are these transactions simply worthless?
yep
Activity: 3
I started mining with a new wallet, and got five orphans in a row. Are these transactions simply worthless?
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
I have some names registered but are no longer showing in a name_list query ... however, the names are visible in a name_scan... any ideas? old wallet?

Thanks.
Activity: 540
Merit: 500
I've launched the first website to register .bit domains with BTC :
http://register.dot-bit.org

More detail on :
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=10826.msg154783#msg154783
legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo
i did try this a bit but there is no UI  Angry

In the beginning, there was the command line interface ....
legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo
Are we getting more than usual orphan blocks on the namecoin network?

What is a usual rate that is expected?

What is best way to reduce these? More connections between peers? More difficulty?
orphan blocks. if you're using the latest binaries, listtransactions should be able to reveal which blocks are orphaned.

You're right, listtransactions shows me three orphans. I've done some searching here, but I can't find anything on how to either get them in the main block chain or get rid of them. Is there something I can do, or do I just have to wait?

Thanks grue!
legendary
However, since registering those names, the other 8 blocks I mined have not shown up in my wallet, and I have not mined another block successfully for nearly a two day period (when I was mining about one every two hours before.)

Any idea what has gone wrong, and how I can get this up and running again?  Thanks.
orphan blocks. if you're using the latest binaries, listtransactions should be able to reveal which blocks are orphaned.
I set up a miner and successfully mined 13 blocks, but they take a long time to show up in my wallet. After about 5 of the blocks appeared, I registered 5 .bit names, and I can use and update them just fine.

However, since registering those names, the other 8 blocks I mined have not shown up in my wallet, and I have not mined another block successfully for nearly a two day period (when I was mining about one every two hours before.)

Any idea what has gone wrong, and how I can get this up and running again?  Thanks.
Activity: 540
Merit: 500
khal what do you think about theymos' bitDNS proposal? Wouldn't that be a Namecoin killer if it were implemented or is it technically limited enough to justify the existence of this block chain?
I like the idea to use the same currency but not to store data in the same blockchain.
Namecoins is still young and i hope some things will change (default expire time, forced lost coins, etc).
Pages:
Jump to: