Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] New Solidcoin Client Fully Open-Source! - page 3. (Read 23760 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 1000
Wow, it seems my thread got much attention

I quickly read all the posts but can't reply to all, actually I just want one answer: where did CH said he will make weird changes to his client so that it will be impossible to use the open-source one?
If that guy really wants a blockchain split, he could have just asked it here

Also guys, please don't feed them too much

Patient talks a lot here ( starting near post # 40) :
http://solidcointalk.org/topic/139-license-change/page__st__40

and here :
http://solidcointalk.org/topic/145-sigh/

And he is REALLY full of toxic shit  Smiley

IMO his true intended audience is Main Street people,
this is why he does not care much about geeks.

We MUST stop him at ANY cost.
His probable "success" will bring down the entire idea of cryptocurrency forever.

Also if he will fail epically, it will be the lesson to next greedy morons in line.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Fixed fees?  Block timers?  Those are variables guy.  The fixed fee 'improvement' is what brought down SC the first time wasn't it?  Quicker block times brings lower secerity.  The difficulty algo has already been demonstrated to cater to card-farms while the 'little guy' has to do more work and gets paid less.

So... what were you saying?

Nothing of value, relevance, or usable fact.

Join ArtForz and I in just not even responding to this guy's obvious bias and lack of understanding of what he's talking about. Smiley
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Are there any list of actual features that differentiate solidcoin from Bitcoin?

It gets mandatory updates every other day.

I wouldn't call a mandatory updates to fix a series of errors that made the block chain either vulnerable to attack, or useless for transferring more than, what, $20 worth of SC, to be "features."

But I suppose if you're using the Microsoft or Adobe playbooks, yeah, those are kickass features and CoinHunter is a genius.
sd
Activity: 730
Merit: 500
We MUST stop him at ANY cost.
His probable "success" will bring down the entire idea of cryptocurrency forever.

Also if he will fail epically, it will be the lesson to next greedy morons in line.

We should stop him by ensuring the open source client is used by over by 51% of miners and almost all users and by ensuring it rejects any weird blocks he injects into the blockchain. Once that is done we should forget this project ever existed and let it die in peace.

However don't expect this to stop the next greedy moron, the world produces these guys at an amazing rate.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100

I quickly read all the posts but can't reply to all, actually I just want one answer: where did CH said he will make weird changes to his client so that it will be impossible to use the open-source one?

More taunting

To the OP it is fine if you want to develop a "open source" alternative to my "open source" program. Good luck with outpacing my development though. Just wondering when you are going to add more vuln. fixes, network improvements and multiwallet support like that which is due out in SolidCoin in a few days? Thanks for the support of SolidCoin, and good luck with your project.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

Fixed fees?  Block timers?  Those are variables guy.  The fixed fee 'improvement' is what brought down SC the first time wasn't it?  Quicker block times brings lower secerity.  The difficulty algo has already been demonstrated to cater to card-farms while the 'little guy' has to do more work and gets paid less.

Do you at this point even know what you are talking about?  Security is NO WORSE OFF, this system is not based on the time of the blocks, if the chosen time works it becomes a race for confirmations from a legit and nonlegit source, if the network works at 1 second blocks it would have the same security as blocks over 10 days.... the whole smaller block times is less secure is the f'ing king garbage argument around here ---- seriously go and look at what satoshi himself said on the topic it wasn't much more than a guess on an ideal number to balance block size and network efficiency, security wasn't an issue with the time.

Fixed fees were attacked by king douche for sure, but the fees were NOT the bug, they just made the bug cheaper to execute and the bug lives on in BTC, are you really that dumb to not realize this?

Cater to card farms?.... how the f so?  because for a short while they are hashing at below optimal difficulty?  The 'little guy' is hurt already with the advent of pools, at this stage in BTC unless you are in a pool or have immense resources of your own solo mining is not feasible, at least with the difficulty algo changes in SLC the 'little guy' won't get his difficulty raped out from under him immediately and when the 'card farm' jumps ship the 'little guy' will get back to reasonable difficulty much faster.

Caters to cartels https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.501511

The fixed fee was his way of not understanding what was going on.  It took what, 1SC total to bring it down?  At the time that was 10 cents.  Great securty there fella.  Next time I drop some change I'll give ya'll a heads up.
Are there any list of actual features that differentiate solidcoin from Bitcoin?
Any that actually have merit?

If it was all fluff and hype then let it die.

Yes several.  To name a couple I got to experience first hand:

Fixed fees - in usage it was very nice, you always knew what you were going to pay and you didn't have to hit send to find out that you didn't have enough fees in you wallet to cover a transaction and then scale back a little and the fee gets changed so now you are left with coins in your wallet etc.  Additionally, fees are removed from the equation of transaction priority in this way so even when Dumbass Extraordinaire Artforz attacked this feature, people could still make transactions they were just coming in slower than they should have.

Quicker Block Times - 10 minute rule is highly theoretical with no real model behind it, yet somehow it became the f'ing gospel around here, don't believe me, go back and look at Satoshi's own posts.  It was a nice round number that he felt which seemed to be a reasonable time.  3 minutes was and is much more user friendly, when I would transfer coins between exchanges and what not to do some "day trading" it was much more pleasant to do it with SLC than with BTC, unfortunately I had to do it with BTC on occasion and waiting an f'ing hour or more to get the minimum confirmations was rediculous.  Even Ruxum who had the strictest SLC minimum confirmations time I could have them in and usable in about 30 minutes tops.

Better handling of difficulty changes - Between controlled ascent and descent, faster block times, and more frequent difficulty updates the SLC network responded FAR better than the others with rising and falling hash rates, not once did SLC get in a situation where it would take months to get a difficulty change and not once did it ever take more than an unreasonable number of minutes to get confirmations... prior to SLC all the other cryptocurrencies had this problem.

There are more, but those are the ones I experience first hand.  And you know what? they worked and worked well.  Dumbass Extraordinaire attacking the system the way he did is not proof fixed fees are bad, it just found a bug that is in all current cryptocurrencies, it just costs more to execute in BTC... so ya hate the feature if you want but it is necessary for a user/merchant friendly system and there are other solutions to that problem than making it expensive to execute....

sd
Activity: 730
Merit: 500
I think we should rename SolidCoin if we go through with this.  There's going to be all kinds of confusion, and CoinHunter is right that people will come across his site first on Google for now.

I agree. A new name is needed. Space Credits does sound cool.

We also need to make sure open source clients don't accept any of coinhunters non-mined cheat blocks or anything else weird he tries to abuse the blockchain with.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
I think we should rename SolidCoin if we go through with this.  There's going to be all kinds of confusion, and CoinHunter is right that people will come across his site first on Google for now.  

I vote for Space Credits.  I've posted this before, but I think it might be good for publicity.  'Space Credits' sound familiar to most people, especially geeks who'll be earlier adopters.  The other reason is media attention helps the popularity of coins:  Space credits could be an ideal outside currency to the new Starwars mmo.  From what I've read it's a WOW killer, and these coins are ideal for trading in games.  My buddies and I already use small amounts in minecraft.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/chucknorrisfan/spacecredits.png
Activity: 42
Merit: 1000
to Viper jbm :
Why are you posting here, amidst the enemies ?
Pleease , go rant to solidcointalk.org.
You are all one nice family there.  Smiley

It gets mandatory updates every other day.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
Any that actually have merit?

If it was all fluff and hype then let it die.

Activity: 17
There is no reason not to keep going with solidcoin as an open source project. The bugs have been fixed. Quit taking your hate about a developer too far. Hes arrogant and an asshole, but the software is now fine to use and many people wish to continue it. He is not the head of the project anymore with this open source release. Mining pools should open back up and other exchanges that closed should open up again.

How are you so sure Solidcoin is "now fine"? The one and only developer is adding other people's untested commits to the original Bitcoin client and adding his own sauce.

For example, how long was the testing period between when 1.04 was implemented and released?

Advertising Solidcoin as a safer alternative to Bitcoin is a specious.

so alternate forks should be promoted to a certain degree where they are providing solutions and further data to analyse to determine the best values for these, having only a single chain is like having all our eggs in one basket.

And why should Gavin actively promote *coins? He probably has a bunch of btcs so he's incentive is to promote Bitcoin, not other chains.

Solidcoin is set up in a manner to improve general adoption by trying out parameters that could help enable businesses to be more willing to use cryptocurrency and help end users have a better and safer experience,

By adding other people's untested patches and randomly adding their own stuff with no peer review? That isn't aligned with common business practices. Parroting Coinhunter's FUD doesn't make it true.

An interface with a nice icon and a bigger font for the wallet total does not make for more adoption long term. A safer, more scalable client does. And that's what Gavin is focusing on. It doesn't matter how pretty your safe is, if it can be broken into with a butter knife.

Face it, Solidcoin was a interesting attempt but hubris and lack of testing killed it. You're better of with i0coin/ixcoin as they have less changes to the original Bitcoin client.

Trolls show up everywhere, free speech should be allowed (unless RS kicks you out of IRC), ideas should flow (unless you take a previous open project, screw up the code and then close it again) - Solidcoins public face has become 70% troll and they have become intent on crushing their own coin.

FTFY.
legendary
Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016
Politics bullshits everyone & everything & brings THE END.
aq
Activity: 238
And before I am accused of vehemently supporting SLC because of loosing money, jokes on you because I have not spent a dime of my money on either coin system, I just want to promote the technology.  And since both coin systems are loosing money hand over foot now it doesn't matter much which you are in.
So basically you say, you are just one of coinhunters disciples?
Activity: 406
Merit: 257
*ponders writing a response*

*checks viperjbms post history*

*wanders off*
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Not the way the rhetoric is going with these tards, and they don't care about an alternate coin, they are f'ing lying in the first place that Coinhunter is their only issue, they were bitching from the get-go, smoothie wishes he made more that 32 BTC off his early coins, wolftaur is just retaurded, Artforz is a just a dumbass who hurt a lot of people yet he is championed by the douche bags around here as some kind of hero.

It's a scam in the basis of this work is a lie, it isn't even about Coinhunter, just now that these fucks have villianized him this is their claim but go back and read the history of the posts, then go back and look at the history of the IxCoin posts ... you see a STARTLING resemblance in both.  These dumbasses have to be in control of the whole sha-bang.

I don't disagree some things Coinhunter said shouldn't have been said... the whole solid coin here when bitcoin fails article, I didn't publicize it, at that time I could see both in existence, but my experiences with these retarded people out here is changing my mind.  A good community would police it's own, and there have been and still are people in the true solid coin community speaking out against the license changes, and the article on solidcoin.info .... bitcoin on the other hand, that community is  just a bunch of fucks in the middle of a massive circle jerk.

I did make more than 32 BTC. I made 205.  Cheesy
Activity: 56
If you think he can be reasoned with, go back to the SC boards and try to make SC better instead of coming here and protesting the open source version.
Pages:
Jump to: