Pages:
Author

Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Development Status [Batch #1] - page 19. (Read 155278 times)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
These chips crunch near a billion hashes per second.  Losing a small handful of those each second is miniscule.

Mine along on your CPU if you wanna make up the difference and then some.
I get a feeling that a longer explanation is required for those unfamiliar with digital logic design.

The issue isn't really about losing one in billions of hashes. It is about gaining the timing margin (a.k.a. overclocking headroom) in the design.

Of course Avalon's logic is secret, but I'm going to discuss the problem based on one of the open-source FPGA hashers. It had a critical timing path in the logic that latched the "golden nonce". Since the design was 125-deep pipelined it had a hardware that subtracted constant 125 from the nonce counter before sending it out of the chip.

Now we have two ways to speed up the above design:

1) remove the 32-bit wide constant subtractor. This will gain a fraction of a nanosecond on every hash tried. It is very easy to subtract 125 in software from the nonce downloaded from the chip.

2) acknowledge that the timing violation may occur and the nonce latched may not be the exact one that solved the block, but a next one or previous one, depending on the details of the latching logic. It is somewhat more involved, but still easily doable in software: recompute the hashes for nonce values n-126,n-125,n-124 and use the one that solved the block. Again this will make the design more tolerant to overclocking for every hash tried inside the chip.

Obviously 1) cannot be applied to the ASIC chip or closed-source FPGA bitstream. But the method 2) remains applicable, just use a different set of test values.

Since it's a pipelined design, wouldn't removing the subtractor just reduce the latency of the pipeline instead of increasing the throughput?
Even if this subtractor would prevent the re-loading of the pipeline than you could pipeline the pipeline and the subtractor.
Since the pipeline will not (i presume) produce a nounce to be latched on every clock you have more than enough time to store the previous nounce on chip and subtract the number before sending it out to the controller.
At least i would make my 'store' circuit parallel to the actual pipeline so it can operate asynchonously.
Activity: 298
Merit: 250
I see the website has a countdown to shipping time now.

http://www.avalon-asics.com/
maybe we could make bets whether they ship or not?
Activity: 434
Survival of the most competent!? Wait, where does that leave Inaba?

It obviously leaves me so far ahead of you that you can't even see me flash my ass at you.

Of course, that is what the slingshot was for. Your only hope of crossing the finish line!

OWNED! lol
Activity: 137
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003

It obviously leaves me so far ahead of you that you can't even see me flash my ass at you.

Of course, that is what the slingshot was for. Your only hope of crossing the finish line!

legendary
Activity: 1260

Activity: 137
They've already said they wouldn't publish this information, but that they wouldn't attempt to prevent customers from doing so. Seems we'll have to wait till they're in the wild to obtain this information.

I think you are correct. They should not publish this information. This might lead themselves into mud.
legendary

*** doesn't have anything on team Avalon... maybe you guys should send a few of your employees over to help them out!

Please don't. Let the weak companies fend for themselves or die off. Grin BTC will be better off without them if they can't swim.

Seems like your stacking a [un]fair deck. The other companies will need a handicrap handicap at least.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
27 days...but can they get one to a customer before February 1?

http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=1003

Cool stuff, 27 days.

Good luck team Avalon on reaching your release date! I hope you guys make it!

I don't have any orders in with Avalon, but I hope they make it too. If only to light a fire under the companies that can't seem to get out of their own way.

*** doesn't have anything on team Avalon... maybe you guys should send a few of your employees over to help them out!

Please don't. Let the weak companies fend for themselves or die off. Grin BTC will be better off without them if they can't swim.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust

Cool stuff, 27 days.

Good luck team Avalon on reaching your release date! I hope you guys make it!

Activity: 196
@ Team Avalon

What happened to the last Thursday update? (from TSMC?)

everything is going well, everything is going on time.

Great! Any chance of pictures of chips or PCBs any time soon?

They've already said they wouldn't publish this information, but that they wouldn't attempt to prevent customers from doing so. Seems we'll have to wait till they're in the wild to obtain this information.

Sad
@ Team Avalon

legendary
Activity: 966

@ Team Avalon

Activity: 592
Merit: 501
We will stand and fight.
@ Team Avalon

legendary
@ Team Avalon

Its all the same, Everyone says a 'demo' is coming soon , OCT,NOV,DEC, Jan?

Really? I've only noticed Avalon having a specific, clear goal of demonstrating a working chip around the end of the year.

and yet we do not EVEN see ANY prototype

If they had one, then that would be the demo...
legendary
Activity: 966
I'm going to be releasing my own ASIC product and unlike the competition I will release a die picture.
http://postimage.org/image/5jqixucf3/

A die picture, you say?  It even shows the purdy rainbow diffraction effect.

You would seem to imply that the described die has already been produced.

Surely our collective leg is being pulled...
I don't mean to interrupt this most interesting and totally not boring argument, but I feel like I need to second Frequency above: Are there any chances to get another update soon? Maybe one last update before christmas? Also, as far as I understood it, there was a test/demo planned for the end of December. Is that still the case? Or has the demo been moved to January?

Thanks.
Seconded, great question.

Add to that, is the schedule looking good so far?

Its all the same, Everyone says a 'demo' is coming soon , OCT,NOV,DEC, Jan?
and yet we do not EVEN see ANY prototype devices or simulations, If I can simulate "non-existant" logic on a PC, then surely people with designs should be able to show some "waveform" diagrams..... and yet we see nothing.

I'm going to be releasing my own ASIC product and unlike the competition I will release a die picture.

4 cores  divided up into 20*2 engines each core giving ~250Ghs or about 25GHs each engine, which is well within the figures currently being bounce about by various teams.
These 4 cores are going to be multiplexed by 8 internal FIFO's, and whilst I won't be delivering product until early April 2013, I think it is well worth getting involved in the investment now.

Pages:
Jump to: