Pages:
Author

Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Development Status [Batch #1] - page 15. (Read 155278 times)

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000
I think that since it's the first batch, they should all be sent out as engineering sample or demo units.

Dude,
If they can send them as demo units this mean no VAT:) But custom officers are very suspicious in my country so i personally prefer to pay 20% VAT on top just to be on a safe side.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
Yes, please try to circumvent customs duties. This is going to end well.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
I think that since it's the first batch, they should all be sent out as engineering sample or demo units.

legendary
Activity: 1610
About Invoicing...
The best option will be to name AVALON as "Computer Configuration" in the invoice

1. There are no additional taxes involved in my country when importing computers except VAT which can not be avoided
2. There will be no issues because it is crypto equipment named like "ordinary PC" and no additional customs check will be applied if it is double purpose or not. When speaking of Cryptography Import/Export rules, they are very strict in my country (and all over EU) and it may happen that some of the EU customers will not be able to get the unit at all from the customs
What about it BitSyncom?
Anyone to have something against naming our units as "Computer Configuration"? If we all agree on that it will be eraser for BitSyncom to handle invoices because all of them will be same for "Computer Configuration"?
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Avalon ASIC Team
I wanted to ask how can I get you guys to ship my order using EMS Expedited instead of DHL. I used DHL for some imports from China last fall and I got into all sorts of problems at customs because of them. EMS worked just fine for me back when I ordered my Icarus boards from Zhang, and they took about a week - a week and a half to arrive. I also had some questions regarding invoices. Do I need to send you a mail at the address I received updates from? Or is there some other I should use?

I've updated the thread to reflect that DHL and EMS are choices, as it stands the unit is more heavy than what we originally expected because we want to built a nice solid product, due to it's size, DHL is in fact cheaper than EMS at this moment. In the next few days, I expect to sent out a News Letter with a form which allow the users to pick their Carrier of Choice, currently all Orders are defaulted to DHL.

I understand invoicing will be an issue, we are still speaking with some companies in HK/Shenzhen that specialize in  exporting products from china to selected countries, I believe they will be handling the product invoices, the news letter will also address this issue.
Activity: 388
Merit: 250
I have a question regarding the value submitted to customs .
Can you submit a different value than the payed value ?
I have to pay over 35% in vat+tax.
Regards
Thorvald
Activity: 798
I wanted to ask how can I get you guys to ship my order using EMS Expedited instead of DHL. I used DHL for some imports from China last fall and I got into all sorts of problems at customs because of them. EMS worked just fine for me back when I ordered my Icarus boards from Zhang, and they took about a week - a week and a half to arrive. I also had some questions regarding invoices. Do I need to send you a mail at the address I received updates from? Or is there some other I should use?
Yes, very good question. Shipment date is near and we need to make a choice.
Activity: 242
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Thanks for the update. Hopefully getting in on the second wave of orders isn't just going to be luck of being online at the right time but i can't imagine many other ways to do it.
Compared to all the other ASIC producers Avalon seem far more organised and transparent/honest with information and customer relations and it makes me want to spend my money here rather than anywhere else.
Avalon ASIC Team
Correct, if your order status does not include the word Completed in it, you should get in touch with me ASAP.
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore

3. It is extremely important for our existing customer to verify that your Order's Address, Name and such shipping information is correct. In addition if your Order is still not marketed as "Completed" on our site please get in touch with me immediately, failure to do this will delay your shipping.

Hi BitSyncom,

My order is listed as "Order #200000nnn - Bitcoin Payment Completed", so I take it as it is "Completed" for you, am I right?

Thanks

spiccioli.
Avalon ASIC Team
So I've been neglecting emails a bit mostly because I am on the road and there has been tons of people recently asking when the second batch will be on sale, mixed with actual support problems I am sorting through, so I apologize in advance for any emails that should've been replied to but have yet to hear from. There's no doubt that crunch time is now and everyone inolved with Avalon is currently extremely busy. I will do my best to answer as much email as possible, once I am stationary on the 10th I suspect only then I'll be able to catch up.

Here's some notes:
1. please stop asking when Avalon will be available again for purchase, we will make an announcement when that happens.

2. We've mentioned before we will try to ship as much as possible before CNY, just exactly how many we can ship out can only be revealed when we start shipping and making estimates based on workflow. There will be another update regarding this matter once shipping starts, we at Avalon currently do not have the answer to this question unfortunately.

3. It is extremely important for our existing customer to verify that your Order's Address, Name and such shipping information is correct. In addition if your Order is still not marketed as "Completed" on our site please get in touch with me immediately, failure to do this will delay your shipping.

4. Regarding openWRT image, this is still a working progress, but I suspect in the next few days it will be ready, regardless it will and it have to be released before the actual product ships, so it is only a matter of time.

5. there's currently no problem that can cause change in delivery date, everything else is on schedule.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
Thank you gmaxwell for cleaning this thread up.
donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
In fact, it is within our schedule to release the controller ( openWRT ) image.iso before the end of the year to give eager developers a head start to spin your own custom mining setups. Embrace open source!

Does anyone know if the ISO for OpenWRT has been released? I can't find it in this thread.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
I think the next official update is us shipping out a device. needless to say, we are at the end and is pretty busy at the moment, soon major team members are actually going to stay and live in the factory housing for a few days to make sure everything works out smoothly.

I do not think we will be providing any power consumption/final hashrate prior to shipping the units because we will be tweaking the numbers until we feel it's ready. Soon as we ship everything will become clear.

Can we get confirmation that this means no demo? Sad
Activity: 868

Seriously can people stop posting non Avalon crap in here so that others don't have to reply to the crap.

Others don't have to reply to the crap and it would probably be a good idea for each of the vendors to start a locked update thread so that people don't need to hunt around in the discussion threads to find the latest information.
legendary
Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
This is the best Avalon thread.
Is it more clear now? It sounds like you were saying that if and only if you or ckolivas were involved a vendor could release a cgminer based product without source.

How on earth did you manage to interpret it that way?

The prior probability of an open source developer and long term community member offering a closed source version for a hardware vendor seems to be very low...low enough that an ambiguous forum post should not be sufficient evidence to believe that this may be the case. It is significantly more probable, before even reading the post, that he wants to make sure the source is available, quite possibly so that it can be merged into the main branch.
The Chinese people have no more propensity to steal IP (Intellectual Property) than the rest of Humanity.

I think his point is that the GPL has held up well in some courts (such as in the US and Europe) but some quick Googling shows that this may not be the case in China.
Pages:
Jump to: