Pages:
Author

Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Development Status [Batch #1] - page 17. (Read 155278 times)

staff
Activity: 4200
Merit: 8441
I guess
Well, I actually went through the codebase and history some before commenting.
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
WTF are you talking about?
There would never be a closed source cgminer.
Good to hear. I thought what I was talking about was clear enough.

Let me try talking a bit louder:
Quote from: kano
Since neither myself or ckolivas are involved in the cgminer version you guys are going to put in the Avalon ...
You cannot release your device without also releasing the source code for the cgminer in your device.
Is it more clear now? It sounds like you were saying that if and only if you or ckolivas were involved a vendor could release a cgminer based product without source. I don't believe this is correct, and I'm glad to hear you wouldn't consider it.  I suppose instead you meant "since we're not involved maybe thats evidence you were not planning on releasing the source"? I don't see how that follows, but OKAY. In any case, perhaps now you can see how your message could be read another way?

I guess that if both ckolivas and kano were involved, as they are by far the main contributors to the source, given enough time they could replace any code commited by other contributors in cgminer by a brand new reimplementation. They would then be able to licence the resulting code the way they want. That's theoretical though and could prove difficult in practice (some parts of cgminer might need a clean-room reimplementation that neither ckolivas and kano would be suitable developers for given their knowledge of it) and this theoretical possibility is only used by kano as a demonstration argument given his later answer.
staff
Good to hear. I thought what I was talking about was clear enough.

Let me try talking a bit louder:
Quote from: kano
Since neither myself or ckolivas are involved in the cgminer version you guys are going to put in the Avalon ...
You cannot release your device without also releasing the source code for the cgminer in your device.
Is it more clear now? It sounds like you were saying that if and only if you or ckolivas were involved a vendor could release a cgminer based product without source. I don't believe this is correct, and I'm glad to hear you wouldn't consider it.  I suppose instead you meant "since we're not involved maybe thats evidence you were not planning on releasing the source"? I don't see how that follows, but OKAY. In any case, perhaps now you can see how your message could be read another way?
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Since neither myself or ckolivas
Would you really endorse a closed source release of cgminer in any case?  And do you really think you can?  There is a lot of code written by other people in cgminer under GPLv2 and GPLv3— including code by Jeff.

Other than avoiding providing source to the general public before the device's actual realize I can't imagine the avalon team having _any_ motivation to release a binary only miner and they can solve that by only distributing the source to the device recipients in order to maximally delay their competition seeing it.

staff
Since neither myself or ckolivas
Would you really endorse a closed source release of cgminer in any case?  And do you really think you can?  There is a lot of code written by other people in cgminer under GPLv2 and GPLv3— including code by Jeff.

Other than avoiding providing source to the general public before the device's actual realize I can't imagine the avalon team having _any_ motivation to release a binary only miner and they can solve that by only distributing the source to the device recipients in order to maximally delay their competition seeing it.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
I think the next official update is us shipping out a device. needless to say, we are at the end and is pretty busy at the moment, soon major team members are actually going to stay and live in the factory housing for a few days to make sure everything works out smoothly.

I do not think we will be providing any power consumption/final hashrate prior to shipping the units because we will be tweaking the numbers until we feel it's ready. Soon as we ship everything will become clear.

no demo?

But I like demos Sad
legendary
Just thought I'd point out the obvious ...
Thanks.
Activity: 631
Merit: 500
I think the next official update is us shipping out a device. needless to say, we are at the end and is pretty busy at the moment, soon major team members are actually going to stay and live in the factory housing for a few days to make sure everything works out smoothly.

I do not think we will be providing any power consumption/final hashrate prior to shipping the units because we will be tweaking the numbers until we feel it's ready. Soon as we ship everything will become clear.

no demo?
Activity: 238
I'd love to invest in an ASIC but I only ever really wanted something tiny like one of those Jalapeño types like BFL has.

Still, good luck to everyone that invested in any asic company.
legendary
Happy new year 2013 and all the best for you!! Let all dreams come true for every one of You

Happy new year 2013 to all ...let's make lots of bitcoins this year...
Approximately 1,314,000 BTC Smiley
(though since we are expecting diff rises, a diff rise of any reasonable amount at the end of 2013 means that number goes up a bit)
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002
Happy new year 2013 and all the best for you!! Let all dreams come true for every one of You

Happy new year 2013 to all ...let's make lots of bitcoins this year...
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Avalon ASIC Team

Activity: 388
Merit: 250
Activity: 540
Merit: 500
COINDER
Is it my imagination or is this thread sort of abandoned by the Avalon Team?
Lol you only have to look 3 posts up to find an Avalon Team Member :-)

That's like 3 days ago - practically years in Internet Time!
Well, it's been more than once that I have asked a question but it has gone unanswered. Perhaps they are busy?

Oeoehoe maybe they run the fu(k ... (Sarcasm)
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003

Well, it's been more than once that I have asked a question but it has gone unanswered. Perhaps they are busy?
Activity: 196

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
legendary
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
Any news/update regarding how much power the final product will consume?

legendary
@ Avalon team

Will there be any demos before you ship out the product?

Have there been any changes to the power usage specs?
Pages:
Jump to: