Pages:
Author

Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Development Status [Batch #1] - page 28. (Read 155278 times)

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000
DiabloMiner author
The BFL reps responded to one of Avalons claims...with very vague mentions of a ~unique~ workflow arrangement enabling them to do...well, the impossible. (IMO)

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/500-josh-plz-give-us-some-comments-about.html#post7363
hm..

While I appreciate the technical prowess of the Avalon team, the fact of the matter is they simply don't have the resources or experience we have in this area.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*deep breath*
...oh shit.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

are they being serious?

experience in what? delaying shit so many times?

"IT POPS POPCORN!" -- Satoru Iwata, President of Nintendo of Japan

I was wondering about that reply. BFL has more exeperience creating ASIC devices? I call BS. Smiley

No, BFL has more experience in making highly efficient popcorn poppers.
legendary
Activity: 966
I think when BFL claims to be experienced in creating ASICs, they mean that their engineers have designed ASICs in the past, and thus have experience in designing ASICs.

https://www.elance.com/s/nasser750gx/

If we have a look at Nasser's portfolio of past engineering projects, nearly all of them incorporate an FPGA, but nary a mention of an ASIC.  Not in the CV either.

Granted, that's probably only current as of 2007.  Still...

Maybe it's those secret ninja engineers they're not telling us about.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
I was wondering about that reply. BFL has more exeperience creating ASIC devices? I call BS. Smiley

Maybe they're referring to hiring someone, either as an employee or a contractor, who has experience making ASICs.
I think that's exactly what they are referring to.

It is common for companies to refer to themselves as having "51 years of combined experience" in such and such a field.  I think when BFL claims to be experienced in creating ASICs, they mean that their engineers have designed ASICs in the past, and thus have experience in designing ASICs.

Bruno's Barn Wood & Beams has 2,783 years experience in building primitive barn wood furniture here in the US alone.

The way I did the math is add up all the years of experience of all the furniture makers I provide lumber for and voilà. I may be off by a decade or two, but you get the idea.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

Maybe they're referring to hiring someone, either as an employee or a contractor, who has experience making ASICs.
I think that's exactly what they are referring to.

It is common for companies to refer to themselves as having "51 years of combined experience" in such and such a field.  I think when BFL claims to be experienced in creating ASICs, they mean that their engineers have designed ASICs in the past, and thus have experience in designing ASICs.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250

That's not what it says, and if that IS the case then they should fire that person immediately...they've failed.
Activity: 295

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001
BFL has more exeperience creating ASIC devices? I call BS. Smiley

They're a market leader in microprocessor design.   It says so right on prweb.

My sarcasm detector is malfunctioning.
legendary
BFL has more exeperience creating ASIC devices? I call BS. Smiley

They're a market leader in microprocessor design.   It says so right on prweb.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 502
The BFL reps responded to one of Avalons claims...with very vague mentions of a ~unique~ workflow arrangement enabling them to do...well, the impossible. (IMO)

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/500-josh-plz-give-us-some-comments-about.html#post7363
hm..

While I appreciate the technical prowess of the Avalon team, the fact of the matter is they simply don't have the resources or experience we have in this area.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*deep breath*
...oh shit.

are they being serious?

Activity: 159
Merit: 100
Winter is coming
Well Done, Guys!

你们才是真正的专业~~
干的好啊同学们!
给国人长脸了!

(求加塞预定......)  
bce
Activity: 756
This would make total sense. If your second shipment can beat BFL's first, a lot of people would switch, I'm sure. I for one would have to do some serious soul searching for sure after a bunch of layers of BS from BFL Smiley
BFL has apparently designed a fab technique based on layering BS on their chip. That is why they can grow/deposit those layers so darn quickly.

It will do everything (at lower power). As long as it is not seen by the human eye.

Ahh so it is the observer effect causing delays? Smiley
legendary
DiabloMiner author

hm..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*deep breath*
...oh shit.

are they being serious?

Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Avalon ASIC Team
I have a support ticket open which is now nearly 2 weeks old with no response other than 'Ticket Received',  re order number 200000363.
(ticket 13)
Can I please get some action on this?

This matter has been taken cared of, we did not get the new ticket notification. Excuses aside, if in the future, any tickets or email that has not been replied to within 3 days, feel free to address it here in the thread as many eyes will be looking at from our team, but only few people get the notification emails in case some problems arise.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
I have a support ticket open which is now nearly 2 weeks old with no response other than 'Ticket Received',  re order number 200000363.
(ticket 13)
Can I please get some action on this?
legendary
Some background information on ASIC production process, before tape out, 3 day before uploading GDS, we fill out a MT form with TSMC detailing the ASIC specific information so they may understand what we are doing. The gallery is here http://imgur.com/a/YOLez

Wow, 1.3GB of GDS data.  That's a lotta bits goin into them thar chips.

I hope y'all had them verify a hash of it.  Really their form ought to have a field for it.

Nice news release.  The next news I want to hear is that you have received the prototype chips, and that they are hashing as expected. Smiley
legendary
DiabloMiner author
Hmmm..... I think doing business in this region for over 25 years, gives me just a little perspective on the business practices of the Pearl Delta.
But perhaps brush up a little 武經七書... because I got what I needed faster than I expected.

I think you have no sense of humility after doing business for 25 years in these regions that you lost the ability to talk to another person like a regular human being. I had no intention to hide who these people were, I simply uploaded the picture from my phone on-the-go and now had the chance to do a proper follow up, not to mention many of these faces are not new and often seen in public involving bitcoin.

It would be much appreciated in the future, especially when directing questions at me. Brush up on how to be a gentleman, remove any trace of prejudice and cynicism you have obtained from a past that has nothing to do with me.

Please don't try to give lecture about something you know little about,  I'm very well paid and very good at what I do.

When you have had credible death threats from 'respectable' Asian business men  and attempts to kidnap your wife, come talk to me and we can talk all you want about:
 humility/racism/prejudice/cynicism/corruption/slavery/poisoning of babies/adults for profit or anything else you think you are an expert on.

Dear Thread,

Shut the hell up or so God help me I will turn this car around.

Signed, your favorite angry neighborhood bastard mod
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003
This would make total sense. If your second shipment can beat BFL's first, a lot of people would switch, I'm sure. I for one would have to do some serious soul searching for sure after a bunch of layers of BS from BFL Smiley
BFL has apparently designed a fab technique based on layering BS on their chip. That is why they can grow/deposit those layers so darn quickly.

It will do everything (at lower power). As long as it is not seen by the human eye.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003
It seems Inaba has been put on a leash by his bosses. He stopped posting/insulting people here on the forums Smiley
I was hoping no one would notice that he does have a boss or his sudden silence.

So I just copied his reply from the BFL forums.

1. while this wafer making process is going, you can't cancel it, or make adjustments, and if you wish to change anything, you will have to re-run this whole work flow all over again ( the large amount of the NRE upwards of 6 digits in USD is paid when you make the MASK). so anytime, BFL mention they are waiting for chips to come e.g. next week, but if they are still making adjustments, then this is physically impossible. In addition, fabrication company don't do chip packaging, if they are expecting the chips to arrive next week that means the production is already finished and they are probably in the chip packaging company (it is usually this time you find out if your chips work or not. which can also take some time since you'll have to test each of the chips for defects.)

BFL_Josh replies: "While I appreciate the technical prowess of the Avalon team, the fact of the matter is they simply don't have the resources or experience we have in this area. While the above may be true for them (and I have no doubt it is), what they are able to accomplish in a given time frame does not necessarily apply to our development workflow and process." https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/500-josh-plz-give-us-some-comments-about.html#post7363

What does that tell us? Right. Nothing. Just more weasel comments. It applies, or maybe it does not ... there is, maybe there is not ... we ship, maybe we won't ...
It just means that the BFL rep is an expert in the art of quantum super-positioning statements.

It can be in more than three states at the same time.

You can infer "does not necessarily apply" to mean it does apply, yet, it does not apply. It all depends on the observer.

Making vague statements and keeping your distance is what you do when you can't say or have nothing to say in such a situation. Just hope the chips arrive and then start shipping.

Oh, and the 11th, the rep said it won't be met. (later in the month is the next revision).
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
So what was supposed to take 25 days from Halloween?

The next scheduled announcement of another "unexpected delay" from the world's most experienced processor design team in the world!
Merit: 500
It seems Inaba has been put on a leash by his bosses. He stopped posting/insulting people here on the forums Smiley

So I just copied his reply from the BFL forums.

1. while this wafer making process is going, you can't cancel it, or make adjustments, and if you wish to change anything, you will have to re-run this whole work flow all over again ( the large amount of the NRE upwards of 6 digits in USD is paid when you make the MASK). so anytime, BFL mention they are waiting for chips to come e.g. next week, but if they are still making adjustments, then this is physically impossible. In addition, fabrication company don't do chip packaging, if they are expecting the chips to arrive next week that means the production is already finished and they are probably in the chip packaging company (it is usually this time you find out if your chips work or not. which can also take some time since you'll have to test each of the chips for defects.)

BFL_Josh replies: "While I appreciate the technical prowess of the Avalon team, the fact of the matter is they simply don't have the resources or experience we have in this area. While the above may be true for them (and I have no doubt it is), what they are able to accomplish in a given time frame does not necessarily apply to our development workflow and process." https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/500-josh-plz-give-us-some-comments-about.html#post7363

What does that tell us? Right. Nothing. Just more weasel comments. It applies, or maybe it does not ... there is, maybe there is not ... we ship, maybe we won't ...
Pages:
Jump to: