Pages:
Author

Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Development Status [Batch #1] - page 31. (Read 155318 times)

legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003
and bASIC chips have been done for a while (https://www.btcfpga.com/forum/index.php?topic=203.msg1445#msg1445)

I have orders from all 3...I just want someone to ship, so that I can stop checking the forums every fucking day!
Amen!

That's what I do every day when I am working. Read and wait.
Activity: 631
Merit: 500
and bASIC chips have been done for a while (https://www.btcfpga.com/forum/index.php?topic=203.msg1445#msg1445)

I have orders from all 3...I just want someone to ship, so that I can stop checking the forums every fucking day!
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
BFL is supposedly getting chips from Asia next week.
legendary
You guys are all excited, but, to me, it sounds like BitSyncom is about to announce a bad news.

"deciding what to say" -> it is only when the news is bad that time is spent deciding how to say it.

"my engineering team has always been very skeptical regarding our competition for various reasons. It is my job not to under estimate the competition, but now I am forced to agree with them" -> the last "them" refer to his engineering team, IOW the engineering team was correct to be skeptical of the competition's power efficiency claim, IOW the engineering team found out their own efficiency is a lot worse than the competition (which makes sense given that Avalon is 110nm, which should be theoretically 3x worse in terms of power efficiency when compared to 65nm (BFL)).

"what I'm talking about is actually the very opposite" -> he was expecting better results, but the engineering team's number look bad.

Oh indeed, some bad news is coming, but who I wonder.
Did some competitors fab or subcontractor company implode or something?

(starts shinning the ol' crystal ball)
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000
crazyates,
Just do your math. Having asic in your hands with current difficulty and any power consumption = ROI 2 weeks top
From the other hand having ASIC when dif is 30x-50x (and constantly increasing) with zero power consumption = ROI months or even years

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Hmmm..... I think doing business in this region for over 25 years, gives me just a little perspective on the business practices of the Pearl Delta.
But perhaps brush up a little 武經七書... because I got what I needed faster than I expected.

I think you have no sense of humility after doing business for 25 years in these regions that you lost the ability to talk to another person like a regular human being. I had no intention to hide who these people were, I simply uploaded the picture from my phone on-the-go and now had the chance to do a proper follow up, not to mention many of these faces are not new and often seen in public involving bitcoin.

It would be much appreciated in the future, especially when directing questions at me. Brush up on how to be a gentleman, remove any trace of prejudice and cynicism you have obtained from a past that has nothing to do with me.

Please don't try to give lecture about something you know little about,  I'm very well paid and very good at what I do.

When you have had credible death threats from 'respectable' Asian business men  and attempts to kidnap your wife, come talk to me and we can talk all you want about:
 humility/racism/prejudice/cynicism/corruption/slavery/poisoning of babies/adults for profit or anything else you think you are an expert on.

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006
i always thought it's the first one.

legendary
Activity: 952
You guys are all excited, but, to me, it sounds like BitSyncom is about to announce a bad news.

"deciding what to say" -> it is only when the news is bad that time is spent deciding how to say it.

"my engineering team has always been very skeptical regarding our competition for various reasons. It is my job not to under estimate the competition, but now I am forced to agree with them" -> the last "them" refer to his engineering team, IOW the engineering team was correct to be skeptical of the competition's power efficiency claim, IOW the engineering team found out their own efficiency is a lot worse than the competition (which makes sense given that Avalon is 110nm, which should be theoretically 3x worse in terms of power efficiency when compared to 65nm (BFL)).

"what I'm talking about is actually the very opposite" -> he was expecting better results, but the engineering team's number look bad.
I might be a little tired, but I had a really hard time following you.

Avalon's team's engineers were skeptical of competitors power claims. He chose to plan for the worst and hope for the best, and take the competitors at their word, and temporarily assume the competitor's power draw numbers were accurate. Now however, the Avalon Team's opinions have changed.

So this could mean 2 things:
1) Avalon's competitors really have reached a level of efficiency that the Avalon team can't even get in simulations, and now the Avalon Team has chosen to listen to their engineers and ignore their competitors claims.
2) Avalon's engineering team has made drastic improvements in power efficiency, even into the range that their competitors have been advertising. This means that their competitors were right in their estimates, and means the Avalon's engineering team was previously wrong in their criticism. This also means that the Avalon could be getting lower power numbers than initially estimated?

I'm tired, and so confused.
legendary
I am smiling because i feel the news will be good for us for sure. I do not care about other vendors at all. There is pretty good chance Avalon to be the first! that matters for me. No power consumption no hash rate. It is most likely that they will say something good and push the delivery to happen soon. Once again it is just personal feeling..
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
It could be read either way. English is not their primary language, so the semantics of certain sentences is ambiguous. I was just relating how I primarily read and understood BitSyncom's posts.
That'd be my take as well. These Avalon guys are having fun milking it anyway. Smiley
legendary

yeah, some bad news.  Wink
With a smile like that...I am guessing they are about to call BS on certain claims made by other vendors, then list the [technical] reasons why they think it is so?
legendary
I guess they are pretty bad Tongue
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Avalon ASIC Team

Oh indeed, some bad news is coming, but for who I wonder.
Activity: 592
Merit: 501
We will stand and fight.

"my engineering team has always been very skeptical regarding our competition for various reasons. It is my job not to under estimate the competition, but now I am forced to agree with them" -> the last "them" refer to his engineering team, IOW the engineering team was correct to be skeptical of the competition's power efficiency claim, IOW the engineering team found out their own efficiency is a lot worse than the competition's claim (which makes sense given that Avalon is 110nm, which should be theoretically 3x worse in terms of power efficiency when compared to 65nm (BFL)).

yeah, some bad news.  Wink
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

"my engineering team has always been very skeptical regarding our competition for various reasons. It is my job not to under estimate the competition, but now I am forced to agree with them" -> the "them" refers to his engineering team. IOW the engineering team was skeptical of the competition's power efficiency claims, but BitSyncom disagreed, was more optimistic, and thought it was achievable; however the engineering team now confirmed their skepticism by having numbers showing that their own efficiency will be worse than the competition (which makes sense given that Avalon is 110nm and should be theoretically 3x worse in terms of power efficiency than 65nm (BFL)), so BitSyncom is forced to revise his optimism and forced to agree with his team that Avalon won't be competitive.

Well stop beating the bush to death and spill it man! Grin
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Avalon ASIC Team
Very interesting. It almost sounds like he was expecting worse and didn't believe the good numbers of the other vendors, but now is expecting Avalon to be better than advertised.

Avalon is, and always have been better than advertised, this was the style of our press release to give conservative estimates and improve the numbers as we eliminate potential and actual problems. Regardless, what I'm talking about is actually the very opposite, now looking at the evidence presented by our engineering team, our competitors have very irregular workflows that doesn't make any sense what so ever, in other words, somebody is full of shit.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

Pretty ironic as I am currently drafting the thread. You'll have to wait a bit as it is fairly lengthy and I'm still deciding what to say exactly due to some newly obtained knowledge from our Fab that are very different what the competition has been saying. I am obtaining more concrete information e.g. our whole process, initial TSMC contract, MT Form ( aka things that can only obtained by going through the Fab process and can be identified by other people with experience that can validate. ) used to back our calms. As I stated previously, my engineering team has always been very skeptical regarding our competition for various reasons. It is my job not to under estimate the competition, but now I am forced to agree with them and maybe present a proper argument.

Interesting ...

Waitting for the coming news ......

Very interesting. It almost sounds like he was expecting worse and didn't believe the good numbers of the other vendors, but now is expecting Avalon to be better than advertised.
Activity: 137
Merit: 100

Pretty ironic as I am currently drafting the thread. You'll have to wait a bit as it is fairly lengthy and I'm still deciding what to say exactly due to some newly obtained knowledge from our Fab that are very different what the competition has been saying. I am obtaining more concrete information e.g. our whole process, initial TSMC contract, MT Form ( aka things that can only obtained by going through the Fab process and can be identified by other people with experience that can validate. ) used to back our calms. As I stated previously, my engineering team has always been very skeptical regarding our competition for various reasons. It is my job not to under estimate the competition, but now I am forced to agree with them and maybe present a proper argument.

Interesting ...

Waitting for the coming news ......
Pages:
Jump to: