Pages:
Author

Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Development Status [Batch #1] - page 34. (Read 155318 times)

donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
felonious vagrancy, personified
Hi, could you please post your die size so I can list your product's η-factor?  BFL has posted all the information needed to compute theirs.

Have you had a chance to post these figures?
legendary
Activity: 1274
Josh has stated on BFL forums that the chips in the pics were non-functional dummy chips.
According to Josh, they had some sort of issue with refraction on their first mask set.
Source? I apologize if this was common knowledge, I was under the impression they were functional.

Quote from: BFL_Josh
There is no visual difference between the Little Single and the Single. They are virtually the same except for the number of chips.

As for why the delay, if the November issue of Bitcoin Magazine would come out it would make a lot more sense.  Bottom line is, our chips are the most advanced chips by a wide, wide, margin compared to any other offering.  Because of that, the design has taken longer than expected.  Our process node also blows away any of the toy offerings from the other vendors and we had to deal with some unexpected refraction issues that needed to be addressed.
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showthread.php/251-More-Jalapeno-Pictures-amp-Shipping-Update?p=3906&viewfull=1#post3906

He's previously posted that the chips aren't functional on their forums, but it's getting hard to find anything there, the search function sucks.
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Avalon ASIC Team
Josh has stated on BFL forums that the chips in the pics were non-functional dummy chips.
According to Josh, they had some sort of issue with refraction on their first mask set.
Source? I apologize if this was common knowledge, I was under the impression they were functional.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
Avalon ASIC Team
Would it be possible to get a pic or render of what the device is going to look like? Don't need anything fancy or details of the internals. Just how it looks on the outside so I can plan decorating my office with them Cheesy

It's a metal box! 375 x 375 x 150mm like I mentioned in a earlier reply As for color and finish, we may do a vote in 1-2 weeks and let the community decide.

Oddities like power consumption figures?

Not exactly, I've previously stated in the AMA month ago, their numbers are achievable, I have no reason to doubt them. I simply dislike their marketing approach of reporting the numbers in the "best-possible" scenario as oppose to giving conservative estimates and work their way down via process of elimination and testing.

I must say, the following criticism is purely my personal opinion, and often at times I feel it is not my place as a competitor representative to point these things out as they will not be presented as intended. although in this case I'm sure others with knowledge of IC design will agree with the following musings.

Code:
bASIC had mentioned how they have the ASIC(chips) but do not have the PCB.

This is very odd to me, in IC design cycles, a Tapeout takes about 1~2 month, and during this time you can't do anything besides waiting for the foundry, usually you do everything else you can to get rest of the hardware ready so when you receive your chips you can finish your product immediately. Sure there maybe possible delays but bASIC has stated they have had the chips for quiet some time, how can PCB take so long?

Code:
BFL shows pictures of board, that seem is completed but won't do demonstrations, or invite Kano / Yochdog to the in house viewing

If you have everything why wouldn't you show off a working product, it is easiest way to convince the public and and future potential buyers. Does it mean it didn't work? Recently I also found out BFL had at least 1 revision of the chip. This raised a red flag right away, it means they had to either perform Metal Fix a, Gate Fix, or even worst a RTL Fix. This also means that there was a problem with the previous revision, and since BFL have yet to receive the new chips. We may never know if those chips on the pictures even worked.

This is why I said how can one be satisfied with something they don't even understand what they are looking at.
Activity: 295
Merit: 250
Takes like 20 minutes to take some good pictures, and provides people with days/weeks of things to talk about, drool over, and be satisfied with. I suppose in a perfect world everyone would both have the hype and high energy to throw thousands of dollars into an unknown pit, but also the calm and patience to not need any kind of reassurance that they didn't get ripped to kingdom come, but let's just deal with things as they are yes?

How can one be satisfied with something they don't even understand what they are looking at? I am personally being some what cautious of my competition because few oddities they have demonstrated...

Oddities like power consumption figures?
Activity: 658
Would it be possible to get a pic or render of what the device is going to look like? Don't need anything fancy or details of the internals. Just how it looks on the outside so I can plan decorating my office with them Cheesy
Avalon ASIC Team
Takes like 20 minutes to take some good pictures, and provides people with days/weeks of things to talk about, drool over, and be satisfied with. I suppose in a perfect world everyone would both have the hype and high energy to throw thousands of dollars into an unknown pit, but also the calm and patience to not need any kind of reassurance that they didn't get ripped to kingdom come, but let's just deal with things as they are yes?

How can one be satisfied with something they don't even understand what they are looking at? I am personally being some what cautious of my competition because few oddities they have demonstrated...
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
looking good, keep us posted. i can't wait to see actual hardware pictures when they ship out
Activity: 602

If 2 of your main competitors, BFL and bASIC, are both far enough along into the process of getting ASICs into customers hands as they say they are, then what are your concerns about publicizing this information? It's too late in the game for them to really steal any ideas from you, isn't it?

Who says so? You or them? It may turn out that they are far behind at the end. Please leave Avalon team to work and stop losing their time with pictures and stuff. A picture, 3d rendering does not prove anything at all at least for me

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

If 2 of your main competitors, BFL and bASIC, are both far enough along into the process of getting ASICs into customers hands as they say they are, then what are your concerns about publicizing this information? It's too late in the game for them to really steal any ideas from you, isn't it?

Who says so? You or them? It may turn out that they are far behind at the end. Please leave Avalon team to work and stop losing their time with pictures and stuff. A picture, 3d rendering does not prove anything at all at least for me
Avalon ASIC Team

If, then indeed. They are scheduled to ship before us anyways, I am fortunately enough to have the option to wait and see.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
No pics of the actual devices?

It is currently not in our favor to release this information.
What is a [reasonable] timeframe for a render and an actual picture of the Avalon Device?

This isn't a matter that is limited by time. Rather we do not wish to reveal our cards so early because we believe we have truly designed a unique ASIC that's very different from BFL and bASIC. After BFL and Tom starts demoing their devices and perhaps even started to ship them, In other words: Once the competition has demonstrated their device is finished and final, then we will release our information. Unless of course they push their release date back even further, then I think it is safe to say everything shall be revealed before this year ends.

Avalon ASIC Team
It sounds like you have a number of undisclosed features, correct?
This is correct.

Can you start a thread where we can make feature requests for the second/third generation Avalon device? (or would you prefer private feature requests by email?)

You are welcome to put suggestions into this thread, PM me on the forum or send me a email. It is your choice to decide the delivery method for your own content.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003

What is a [reasonable] timeframe for a render and an actual picture of the Avalon Device?

This isn't a matter that is limited by time. Rather we do not wish to reveal our cards so early because we believe we have truly designed a unique ASIC that's very different from BFL and bASIC. After BFL and Tom starts demoing their devices and perhaps even started to ship them, In other words: Once the competition has demonstrated their device is finished and final, then we will release our information. Unless of course they push their release date back even further, then I think it is safe to say everything shall be revealed before this year ends.
It sounds like you have a number of undisclosed features, correct?

Can you start a thread where we can make feature requests for the second/third generation Avalon device? (or would you prefer private feature requests by email?)
Avalon ASIC Team

legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003

Avalon ASIC Team

Activity: 150
Merit: 100
Pages:
Jump to: